Rams to "make major changes in offseason"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
His contract is.

Players gonna get paid and Todd Gurley earned every penny of that 2nd contract.

He set the standard for RB’s, didn’t hold out like an asshole and, when given carries, produced.

I look forward to having Gurley back next year.

Big time.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That’s because 2016 OL > 2019 OL

It’s hard to have a great RB behind a bottom tier O-line. Just ask Saquan Barkley or David Johnson.
That's my point.
Bad o line play both seasons.
We had no running or Passing game.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Agreed Den.

Brown disappointed the Rams for the second consecutive season, not being able to log carries when they needed him. And Gurley doesn't look like a guy who can carry the load. McVay needs a guy he can count on. Is it gonna be Henderson? Maybe, but yeah I have to think changes might be incoming in that RB room.
Brown can take the load off an effective back not step in and be the effective back. When we signed his extension I think the vision was he would perform the duties of the former and not be expected to be the latter

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brown can take the load off an effective back not step in and be the effective back. When we signed his extension I think the vision was he would perform the duties of the former and not be expected to be the latter
I disagree. Backups are supposed to be available to seize a larger role for a while if necessary. Not a fan of Brown at all at this point. If I'm the GM finding a horse is a key for this offense and Gurley can be that guy getting the other snaps.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agreed Den.

Brown disappointed the Rams for the second consecutive season, not being able to log carries when they needed him. And Gurley doesn't look like a guy who can carry the load. McVay needs a guy he can count on. Is it gonna be Henderson? Maybe, but yeah I have to think changes might be incoming in that RB room.
Everytime Henderson gets more than a few carries he gets dinged up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everytime Henderson gets more than a few carries he gets dinged up.
Yeah at this point he's an option but not something they can count on. I think they need someone who can log carries, not necessarily CJ but a CJ type acquisition who can settle that group down.

Then with a better OL next year things should work the way they envisioned them working this season.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I disagree. Backups are supposed to be available to seize a larger role for a while if necessary. Not a fan of Brown at all at this point. If I'm the GM finding a horse is a key for this offense and Gurley can be that guy getting the other snaps.

I agree with your assessment of our needs but not that Brown was signed as TG30 B. They are backups for a reason. We can both agree that the running game needs an upgrade though

TomMack

Rookie
The first time they need to do is give Jared Goff an IQ test...sure seems like he does 3 or 4 really dump things or throws a game.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah at this point he's an option but not something they can count on. I think they need someone who can log carries, not necessarily CJ but a CJ type acquisition who can settle that group down.

Then with a better OL next year things should work the way they envisioned them working this season.
I would just give Gurley 20 + carries and see if he breaks down or not. Either way it clarifies his contract going forward.
Can upgrade the backup spot behind Brown although he is solid.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mcvay was pissed as fuck at the end of the game. You better believe there will be some changes, especially the defense. Give up two 3rd and 16s in the last drive? Nobody on that d should feel safe apart from ad. The d coaches should be the first to be culled. No more me nice guy from him.

oldnotdead

Legend
Goff isn't one to throw people under the bus. But those of you that have access to the game go back and look very closely at both his INT's returned for TD's. There is another common denominator that people haven't bothered to look at.

In both cases it was Blythe's blown block that was a big contributor to those turnovers. The guy is a complete scrub. There have been times he's pulled and simply didn't see the guy he's supposed to block and runs right by him. Other times he pulls and lunges to make the block because he's too slow to get there and falls flat on his face. Get his ass off the team the guy is a clown in a Ram's uniform. Merlin broke down his play a few weeks ago and he saw what I've been seeing all through last year and this year as well.

KROMER HAS TO GOOOOOO!!!! HE CONTROLS WHO PLAYS WHERE ON THE O-LINE AND IS THE RUN GAME COORDINATOR. The run game sucks and the o-line issues point directly back to him. He was late in changing the blocking scheme when a casual observer watching TV could see what needed to be done before the season began. He kept Havenstein and Blythe in there when they were repeatedly proving they were scrubs. Even now he has Evans and Edwards playing out of position. Evans is an OG and Edwards is a OT. Both are playing as well as can be expected, but not as well as they should. WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH KROMER?

DC isn't the issue, Kromer is a far bigger issue. IMO his poor performance as the o-line and run game coordinator is a huge part of the problem with the offense. It's clear he can't make adjustments either in the game plan or game day adjustments as well.

Snead has done a masterful job in building this team. It has elite talent on offense and defense and it has quality depth. If there is a failure right now it's at the assistant coaching level. But overall I think this season was an example of growing pains. To panic now would be foolish. This is the time to go back and re-assess who plays where and how they play. There needs to be tweaks schematically to maximize the team's performance.

For instance I've been saying all year that the Ram's have two of the most under rated TE's in the NFL. That McVay needed to game plan them into his schemes to utilize their talents. When he finally did look what a tremendous breakout season Higbee had. Going forward teams will now have to account for them as well as their 4 deep WR rotation. I think we will see a different offense next year. We saw the beginnings of it on Sunday where it looks similar but it isn't. It worked and it rang up over 30 points on a pretty damn good defense.

The difference this past Sunday than the first Niner game was the o-line. The young guys Snead brought in looked pretty good. They kept Goff pretty clean most of the game. The o-line needs to polish their gap blocking technique. Had it been installed in TC I think the run game would have been a whole lot better. Gap blocking needs to be executed properly and in coordination with the RB who have to understand the concept to know where to expect the holes. They need to be able to read the blocks before the snap. That is one of the strengths of gap blocking, because the holes will be dependent upon the defensive alignment. If the O-line and the RB are on the same page it's hard to stop. What do you think the 49er blocking scheme is? It's a gap power blocking scheme allowing for a double team at the POA.

At the beginning of the season Kromer was relying upon a very simplistic outside zone. Huh?? I've seen high schools use a more complex scheme. This is an NFL coordinator BTW. Why do you think I was advocating a change in blocking scheme? A simple outside zone is too easy to counter if you know it's coming. An NFL o-line needs at least 3 different blocking schemes so that the defense doesn't know what's coming. IMO a inside zone, outside zone, and a gap blocking scheme like the gap power. With the gap power you would normally see the team with a FB but the kickout can be done with a good blocking TE.

The gap power was a staple of the SD Chargers during the Tomlinson era. It still works today as evidenced by the Niners. But you need OGs that can pull and that completely is negated by a OG like Blythe that can't pull. Kromer should know this and IMO its one of the reasons he didn't install the gap power. He built his run attack around a weak OG rather than simply change the OG. That's why Kromer should go.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would just give Gurley 20 + carries and see if he breaks down or not. Either way it clarifies his contract going forward.
Can upgrade the backup spot behind Brown although he is solid.
That is an approach for the regular season to which I agree. And the Rams came to that very decision after trying the limited carries thing early on.

But for offseason planning it's a whole different deal. If you're the GM do you stand pat with Gurley being McVay's horse? And how do you sell that to your head coach.

That ship has sailed IMO. They're stuck with Gurley and that contract most likely, but that doesn't mean they have to stand pat on the depth chart.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We made things way to difficult on our young QB this year, and it all comes down to a consistent run game, which we did not have all year. Way too many game with a 2:1 pass to run ratio. So there are 3 possibilities for the run problem as I see it.
1. Todd’s Health...only the Rams know for sure, the offseason will tell us the story.
2. The OL, which many of you on this board seem to think is THE problem..no doubt it is a problem..needs some work for sure.
3. McVay doesn’t like a grind game, so comes off the run game quick because he has fallen in love with the chunk plays.

I dont know why, but I think Sean is too smart to not use Gurley if he is truly healthy. You can get him out in the flats and slant passes that Todd has excelled at in the past. If I’m Todd, and I’m completely healthy, I am pissed at the lack of creativity in getting me the ball. But if I’m hurt, I can help the team on goal line sweeps and dives, but we would need a big strong bell cow back, and give Jared the play action threat he needs to be successful.

Robert

Rookie
The Gurley signing is drubbing us. Cooks contract hurts too. Should have used that money on two lineman.
Easy to look back now and say this but don’t forget Gurley had 2k yards from scrimmage and was the best back in the league. Cooks also put up over a 1200 yards last season. They looked like great signing but they had down years, if we are having the same conversation a year from now it might be something to talk about.