Rams to "make major changes in offseason"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Silver is apparently the source so not sure that we should take this too seriously. We've all speculated that Wade would finally retire.

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868070-report-rams-making-major-changes-to-sean-mcvays-coaching-staff

The Los Angeles Rams could have a much different look in their coaching staff next season.

According to a report from Michael Silver of NFL.com, "Multiple sources expect there to be a shakeup on Sean McVay's coaching staff, perhaps including veteran defensive coordinator Wade Phillips."

Silver added that there could be "significant turnover" in the team's personnel department, and that the roster could also see major changes, with veteran running back Todd Gurley a potential "cap casualty" and other players potentially "traded or released."

"I don't know exactly what's going to happen, but I'd expect some major changes around here in the next few months," a Rams veteran told Silver.

The report comes in the wake of the team's 34-31 loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Saturday. That moved Los Angeles to 8-7 on the season, knocking them out of postseason contention.

"I'm proud of the way we battled and fought, but I'm sick that we didn't come out with the result, and I'm sick that we won't be in the postseason," McVay told Silver. "Our season will end next week, and it's a sickening feeling—and one that will drive me... Every. Single. Freaking. Day... Until next season arrives, and we finally get to come out and take another swing."

For a Rams team that had reached the postseason in each of the previous two seasons and played in last year's Super Bowl against the New England Patriots, losing 13-3, the 2019 campaign was an absolute disappointment.

The Rams had a relatively quiet offseason after that Super Bowl loss, at least for a team that had made several splashy signings and trades during the McVay era. But they made their intent to return to the Super Bowl in October, trading first-round picks in 2020 and 2021 and a 2021 fourth-rounder to the Jacksonville Jaguars for star cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

It seems likely that far bigger changes are on the horizon for the team in 2020, especially considering the Rams find themselves in one of the toughest divisions in football. The 49ers and Seattle Seahawks are both legitimate Super Bowl contenders this year, and should be next year as well. And the Arizona Cardinals should only improve under young quarterback Kyler Murray.

There is work to be done in Los Angeles, and McVay knows it.
"I promise this will only serve to drive an absolute maniac in me to be better," he texted Silver.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Good. Ain't nobody gonna be happy with no 8-8 bullshit anymore.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Gee, it looks like the 5 teams with the best rushing attacks all made the playoffs.

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are changes needed but this is not a dumpster fire of a team.
Here is my speculation of what comes about this season:

- WP retires and we find another experienced defensive coach to replace him
- Big #77 retires
- Gurley restructures his contract and remains a Ram and is more effective next year
- Cooks restructures and remains a part of the best WR corps in the NFL
- Lttleton re-signs and remains a Ram (OK, this is mostly wishful thinking but it could happen)
- Weddle gets to waddle out of LA
- Brockers tests the FA market but signs a team friendly contract to remain a Ram
- Greg the Leg is re-signed
- Clay remains a Ram for another year
- Rams find a way to sign one FA OL/experienced leader on the OL to replace big #77
- Rams draft the BPA at ILB, OL, and edge rusher with their first 5 picks
- The only major loss will be Fowler
- And the Rams open the season and march to the 2021 Super Bowl in their brand new, state of the art football stadium!

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Gurley and Cooks are probably going to be traded or cut. Wade Phillips gone.

I agree that Wade Philips will probably be gone but I would like to see both Gurley and Cooks agree to restructure their contracts to be more user Friendly for the Rams & their Cap space IF the Rams are ok with their Health issues!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not sure on the Gurley front because they don't have a RB on the roster that can carry the load an although I had high expectations for Malcolm Brown, he seemed to get much slower as the year went on.

Coaching staff absolutely and McVay will have assistants available with the change in Washington. It will be an off season of changes and I know with new uniforms and the new stadium, the Los Angeles Rams want to rebound in a major way.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I hope McVay reflects and takes on some help on the offensive side. I'm cool with him playcalling but I dont think it's a coincidence that the best success he has had was with the help of a dedicated co-ordinator a la Matt La Fleur.

I'm happy if they retain Phillips. I think there is always a chance that you cant replace a guy like that. The worry would be that you couldn't get a guy of that calibre to come in. I think we need a big time guy on D to help manage the big time personalities, although to be fair probably only Ramsey now would fit into that category.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
There are changes needed but this is not a dumpster fire of a team.
Here is my speculation of what comes about this season:

- WP retires and we find another experienced defensive coach to replace him
- Big #77 retires
- Gurley restructures his contract and remains a Ram and is more effective next year
- Cooks restructures and remains a part of the best WR corps in the NFL
- Lttleton re-signs and remains a Ram (OK, this is mostly wishful thinking but it could happen)
- Weddle gets to waddle out of LA
- Brockers tests the FA market but signs a team friendly contract to remain a Ram
- Greg the Leg is re-signed
- Clay remains a Ram for another year
- Rams find a way to sign one FA OL/experienced leader on the OL to replace big #77
- Rams draft the BPA at ILB, OL, and edge rusher with their first 5 picks
- The only major loss will be Fowler
- And the Rams open the season and march to the 2021 Super Bowl in their brand new, state of the art football stadium!
Pretty realistic and sensible. A lot of moving parts so I am sure their will be some variances but it is a logical foundation.
My add is some help for McVay. He would benefit from an O.C or at least some kind of experienced Offensive consultant. I thought our game plan was good last night and it also included some new looks for a change

Psycho_X

Legend
I think last night is the first time I've genuinely seen McVay actually pissed during a game. He's looked perturbed at times and annoyed or frustrated but last night he looked PISSED as can be at times. He's got a very challenging offseason ahead for him and I have confidence he'll leave no stone unturned when looking for ways to fix this disappointment.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Either hire a head coach and let McVay be the OC, or hire an OC and let McVay be the head coach.

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty realistic and sensible. A lot of moving parts so I am sure their will be some variances but it is a logical foundation.
My add is some help for McVay. He would benefit from an O.C or at least some kind of experienced Offensive consultant. I thought our game plan was good last night and it also included some new looks for a change
Good catch, add some OC assistance for McVay!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not sure on the Gurley front because they don't have a RB on the roster that can carry the load an although I had high expectations for Malcolm Brown, he seemed to get much slower as the year went on.

Coaching staff absolutely and McVay will have assistants available with the change in Washington. It will be an off season of changes and I know with new uniforms and the new stadium, the Los Angeles Rams want to rebound in a major way.
Agreed Den.

Brown disappointed the Rams for the second consecutive season, not being able to log carries when they needed him. And Gurley doesn't look like a guy who can carry the load. McVay needs a guy he can count on. Is it gonna be Henderson? Maybe, but yeah I have to think changes might be incoming in that RB room.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Agreed Den.

Brown disappointed the Rams for the second consecutive season, not being able to log carries when they needed him. And Gurley doesn't look like a guy who can carry the load. McVay needs a guy he can count on. Is it gonna be Henderson? Maybe, but yeah I have to think changes might be incoming in that RB room.

Won’t any decisions on Gurley have a pretty big impact on the Rams salary cap?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Won’t any decisions on Gurley have a pretty big impact on the Rams salary cap?
Looks that way yeah. And I'll add this: IF the Rams cut Gurley it means there's a lot of BS behind the scenes and the team views him as a problem. Because otherwise it makes more sense for them to execute the plan they had early on, which is find a guy who can carry the rock where Todd is a 15 carry option at the most.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Silver is apparently the source so not sure that we should take this too seriously. We've all speculated that Wade would finally retire.
Silver is tight with McVay and Goff. Anything he says carries a lot of weight IMO.