Rams Tendering LT Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There is no guarantee that a drafted player will be better than Aleric Jackson. Plus, there could be a run on offensive tackles from around 8-15. The pickings could get slim quickly. Plus, a certain need at OLT would make the Rams a prime target for a team needing a OLT to jump ahead in the draft. It’s a lot to bank on.

One tackle outside of the main group that I really like is Kingsley Suamataia, but again, unless the Rams take him too early, there is no way to know if he’ll still be around in round two, even in a trade back.

One thing they cannot do is risk going into the season without a good OLT. They need to sign AJ even if they end up drafting a OLT this year.

Absolutely not before the third round. Injury-prone, inconsistent showing against top competition (especially at the Senior Bowl). If he’s our first round or second round pick, I’ll be very disappointed.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I wonder if they are playing a bit of a game here. Presumably if AJax has another solid season at LT he will command big $ on the open market. Maybe Rams are hoping a team offers him a modest multi-year deal and the Rams can swoop in and lock him up for multiple years at a reasonable cost.
This ^^^

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I wonder if they are playing a bit of a game here. Presumably if AJax has another solid season at LT he will command big $ on the open market. Maybe Rams are hoping a team offers him a modest multi-year deal and the Rams can swoop in and lock him up for multiple years at a reasonable cost.
Honestly very much hoping this is their plan.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Hope the tender works. I too agree a 2nd round tender would have been the way to go. Maybe they have a deal lined up with a LT in free agency just in case? Have a weird feeling we'll sign Tyron Smith if Jackson is gone. Although he's a huge injury risk, he played extremely well last year. I'm not advocating for the guy, but for some reason, I feel it could happen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hope the tender works. I too agree a 2nd round tender would have been the way to go. Maybe they have a deal lined up with a LT in free agency just in case? Have a weird feeling we'll sign Tyron Smith if Jackson is gone. Although he's a huge injury risk, he played extremely well last year. I'm not advocating for the guy, but for some reason, I feel it could happen.
The Rams had the fewest major injuries last year. Maybe they think they got onto something in their S&C department after a disastrous 2022.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jackson was below average last year. We can easily find a replacement level LT in FA or the draft.

I want him back because he's cheap and we can win with him starting - but I would want him as cheap as possible.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Absolutely not before the third round. Injury-prone, inconsistent showing against top competition (especially at the Senior Bowl). If he’s our first round or second round pick, I’ll be very disappointed.
Yeah. He's a great athlete, but he sounds like a project.

If they take him I hope they work out something where he can shadow Whitworth. Even if he's just going to get the mail.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Jackson was below average last year. We can easily find a replacement level LT in FA or the draft.

I want him back because he's cheap and we can win with him starting - but I would want him as cheap as possible.
Below average? Gee. I thought he was pretty solid leaning towards above average.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It seems unnecessarily risky to me; and easily avoided with an extra $2M in the tender.

Surprised no one seems worried about losing a good young Left Tackle, without a quality replacement.

Really hope I am completely wrong here but I could see several teams, with plenty of cap space and O-Line needs, making an offer that would carry a year one cap hit that would be tough for the Rams to match.
It seems everyone is eyeing CB or C with #19.
Maybe McSnead are eying LT.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think it's pretty clear what they're doing.

OT class is deep.
Alaric has played 1 year at LT. How many offers will he get and how high?
If he doesn't get one, he's inexpensive for 1 year.
If he does get one, we can match it and tie him up for multiple years (if that's what he's offered).

I don't find this risky at all. And besides, we'll know before the draft. The deadline for players to sign offer sheets is April 19th. The deadline to match any offers is April 24th. The draft begins on the 25th.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Below average? Gee. I thought he was pretty solid leaning towards above average.

He flashes, but despite not allowing many sacks I felt like he got beat often and Stafford did an excellent job of moving in the pocket and getting rid of the ball.

Below average is probably harsh though. Still think he would be relatively easy to replace

oldnotdead

Legend
Original round tender means they don't expect him to be on the team next year since he was an UDFA. It means they will draft his replacement this year as I've always thought they would. IMO the Rams might have thought to give him one more year before they make a decision, but his attitude last year soured their opinion of him. They will see him simply as a future comp pick. If a teams makes him an offer it means Noteboom at LT this year as they aren't likely to match it.

His lack of improvement sealed his fate as far as the Rams are concerned. Too bad because he destroyed his own career. Other teams are likely to see this as a negative, as teams don't give up on a LT unless there are some real reasons. The Rams could take a LT in the second round in the same way they got Avila.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Original round tender means they don't expect him to be on the team next year since he was an UDFA. It means they will draft his replacement this year as I've always thought they would. IMO the Rams might have thought to give him one more year before they make a decision, but his attitude last year soured their opinion of him. They will see him simply as a future comp pick. If a teams makes him an offer it means Noteboom at LT this year as they aren't likely to match it.

His lack of improvement sealed his fate as far as the Rams are concerned. Too bad because he destroyed his own career. Other teams are likely to see this as a negative, as teams don't give up on a LT unless there are some real reasons. The Rams could take a LT in the second round in the same way they got Avila.
pure BS
spongebob squarepants bullshit GIF

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

You are dead - fucking - wrong, and saying he has an “attitude” when all evidence points to it being the opposite is a really shitty thing to do to prove your point.

Talking about what you think his play on the field is is fine. Maybe wrong, but fine. Saying that he’s a free agent after this year and saying the Rams are looking at tackle is fine.

But making up bullshit claims because you’re protected from slander - especially attacking A-Jax’s character and how he “destroyed his own career” when there is a literal mountain of things he’s said that prove otherwise - is not only an absolutely horseshit thing to say, even if you don’t like the player, but a serious lie.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
And, no Edge or Cornerback or Wide Receiver for the Rams to select at #19.

The Rams don't have to run the risk of losing their Left Tackle. A low-tender creates such a risk.

I just see it as unnecessary.
I don't disagree, and I think Booms contract is a big part of this. 2 mil doesn't sound like a lot, but if you're already on the hook for booms contract for the same damn posotion..... It gets a lil weird IMO. I hope this isn't a reaction to that mistake, but it just may be.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It seems funny to talk about 3.2 million dollars like it is chump change, I worked for forty years and did not earn that much money.

Daniel Jones is making $40m per year. Let that sink in.