Rams Tendering LT Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
You think Noteboom ... even if he plays 17 games ... is comparable to Jackson? I don't.
I think, if healthy, Noteboom is a FAR superior pass blocker to Jackson but not a run blocker. I'd need to go back to relook but there definitely seemed like a number of times Avila was helping out Jackson in pass blocking while Shelton had shifted left.

I think we have diff levels of worry on this. I think it's kinda funny, TBH. But yeah, makes me a bit nervous too.

Will feel better if we do keep Boom on that reworked contract we offered him and we can always throw a rookie at the problem with him if Jackson leaves (and that's if we don't match a contract!).

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
Good to see they are making moves to bring back everyone from their solid OL last year. If the same OL as the second half of last year is back and they all stay healthy then they will be a playoff team.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Makes no sense to me to not tender him as a 1st rounder. 2m to assure you keep your starting young LT that only allowed 1 sack the entire year? Seems way to risky for me. Some team could easily offer a contract we aren't willing to match then we are in a real jam. With 2m more we would have essentially assured ourselves of retaining him or getting a 1st in compensation.

methomas50

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It would create a hole at LT that could be avoided with an increase in the tender of less than $2M

You would not prefer the 19th pick (or the 52nd) be used on other positions?
I personally would prefer to draft a stud LT at 19. I think McVay and Snead would prefer to draft a tall shiny new toy for the offense.

jaffej

UDFA
I wonder if they are playing a bit of a game here. Presumably if AJax has another solid season at LT he will command big $ on the open market. Maybe Rams are hoping a team offers him a modest multi-year deal and the Rams can swoop in and lock him up for multiple years at a reasonable cost.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think, if healthy, Noteboom is a FAR superior pass blocker to Jackson but not a run blocker.
Noteboom has missed 33 games in the past five seasons. He is not durable.

We disagree on the pass-blocking differential between him and Jackson.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Noteboom has missed 33 games in the past five seasons. He is not durable.

We disagree on the pass-blocking differential between him and Jackson.
Fair... but you did say, "even if he plays 17 games" so just trying to answer the question in the bounds of how you asked it.

And while it's no guarantee that the Rams will match a contract for Jackson, there's a lot of room for them to do it.

How about this, it's a low risk, low reward kinda thing they're doing. I think we prob can agree on that.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I think, if healthy, Noteboom is a FAR superior pass blocker to Jackson but not a run blocker. I'd need to go back to relook but there definitely seemed like a number of times Avila was helping out Jackson in pass blocking while Shelton had shifted left.

I think we have diff levels of worry on this. I think it's kinda funny, TBH. But yeah, makes me a bit nervous too.

Will feel better if we do keep Boom on that reworked contract we offered him and we can always throw a rookie at the problem with him if Jackson leaves (and that's if we don't match a contract!).
Notebook’s weakness, besides his injury history, is his run blocking. So I have to disagree with you here; though rarely do I disagree with you.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
So if a team signs him and the Rams pass on him, does that count towards a comp pick in 25'? Is he part of the UDFA formula?

Nevermind...just read that they don't count towards comp picks.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
And, no Edge or Cornerback or Wide Receiver for the Rams to select at #19.

The Rams don't have to run the risk of losing their Left Tackle. A low-tender creates such a risk.

I just see it as unnecessary.
Well I was going to post this exact same thing and then I read your post. Totally agree with you. Just looks like the Rams are being a bit cheap here. And I might add unnecessarily dangerous.

Why are we taking a risk when we don't have to? Put a second round tender on him and sleep well until the draft. I don't see the reasoning here.

Hopefully at the end of the day it's still in McSnead we trust. And I hope I can say I got all worked up for nothing. (Heh...wouldn't be the first time.....just ask my wife!!)

~ArkyRamsFan~

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if a team signs him and the Rams pass on him, does that count towards a comp pick in 25'? Is he part of the UDFA formula?
I believe if a team signs him, we get a 2nd round pick in this draft so doubt it has any part of the comp formula.

CORRECTION - They put original round tender on him, which is the problem. He was UDFA. We only have right to match offers.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There is no guarantee that a drafted player will be better than Aleric Jackson. Plus, there could be a run on offensive tackles from around 8-15. The pickings could get slim quickly. Plus, a certain need at OLT would make the Rams a prime target for a team needing a OLT to jump ahead in the draft. It’s a lot to bank on.

One tackle outside of the main group that I really like is Kingsley Suamataia, but again, unless the Rams take him too early, there is no way to know if he’ll still be around in round two, even in a trade back.

One thing they cannot do is risk going into the season without a good OLT. They need to sign AJ even if they end up drafting a OLT this year.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Well I was going to post this exact same thing and then I read your post. Totally agree with you. Just looks like the Rams are being a bit cheap here. And I might add unnecessarily dangerous.

Why are we taking a risk when we don't have to? Put a second round tender on him and sleep well until the draft. I don't see the reasoning here.

Hopefully at the end of the day it's still in McSnead we trust. And I hope I can say I got all worked up for nothing. (Heh...wouldn't be the first time.....just ask my wife!!)

~ArkyRamsFan~
We have, that’s why we’re so patient with you.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
OK ... I am going to step-out on this Thread and Topic.

Respect the different opinions but really not following the reasoning.

I GREATLY want to be completely wrong here.

If Alaric Jackson is tendered at the lowest amount, I see a real risk that the Rams could lose their starting LT.

I do NOT see a good reason for it. The difference between the lowest-tender and a 2nd round tender (which pretty much guarantees his return) is less than $2M.

Drafting one at #19 is an added risk ... will the guy be as good as Jackson, and will he be ready in 2024. Furthermore, it prevents the Rams from addressing other positions.

Free Agency would be a bad option. Most of the LTs are older and well-past their prime; and would still probably be more expensive than the $4.9M second round tender.

It never occurred to me that the Rams wouldn't tender Jackson at the 2nd round level.

To be clear, I REALLY want you guys to be right here.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I believe if a team signs him, we get a 2nd round pick in this draft so doubt it has any part of the comp formula.

CORRECTION - They put original round tender on him, which is the problem. He was UDFA. We only have right to match offers.
I would have thought the second round tender was a must. They shouldn’t lose him for nothing.

Maybe with all of the OLTs that can be drafted, the Rams didn’t think that there was a high risk of some team wanting to pay Jackson big money. So they are confident that they won’t have to give him a huge deal. Why would a team pay him top dollar if they think they can get a cheap rookie. @Memphis Ram

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is just maddening and puts a damper on the great news about Dotson. We get our RG for the next 3 years but could easily lose our starting LT.....