Rams Tendering LT Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think a second round makes perfect sense.
He doesn’t have enough of a body of work for an outsider to feel comfortable going all-in, imo.
The one concern would be a team like KC. Their OTs struggled last yr, they only have to give up pick 64 for a young, somewhat proven OT.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For those that think it’s easy to draft a Left Tackle, consider that five tackles were selected in the first round last year.

Most , if not all, played LT in college. All five started in the NFL this past season.

None started at Left Tackle. None.

It’s a very difficult position for a rookie to play, and play well.
Say wut? ~ Orlando Pace

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will say, I'm happy with the JJ signing but hope moving Avila doesn't have a negative impact on AJ. Avila was great at working in concert with him on the left side and often was able to give a little help to AJ. I'm sure JJ can do that too. Just not 100%.
That's a small concern for me too (Avila moving to center), but not enough of one to be against trying it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The one concern would be a team like KC. Their OTs struggled last yr, they only have to give up pick 64 for a young, somewhat proven OT.
And pay enough that the Rams won't match it.
I just don't believe he has enough of a body of work at this point for teams to do that when there seem to be decent tackles in the first couple of rounds.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not even remotely concerned about Avila at center. Stafford taught Ragnow in that regard and he's highly regarded at line calls. Physically Avila is up to snuff and then some. He has plenty of snaps in college doing it as well.

Concern for the OL at this point is LT. We know that Jackson did the job for us last season but are the wheels gonna fall off that particular wagon. Will teams start focusing on that blindside now that the Rams' front will be a brick wall. And can he hold up in the role again. Outside of that I have no concerns on this line at all.

People seem to think I hate AJax but that is not true. I am thankful he did the job for us last season because without his performance we would have lived down to expectations. But him getting through last season doesn't mean it's going to happen successfully again.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I believe Jackson will be fine and if need be, line up Parkinson next to him for an assistance. I feel like I am witnessing some Chicken Little type responses on this board regarding the Rams OL.

dang

Legend
I believe Jackson will be fine and if need be, line up Parkinson next to him for an assistance. I feel like I am witnessing some Chicken Little type responses on this board regarding the Rams OL.
What I’m seeing on this forum is overwhelming a desire to improve the OL even more - FEED THE BEAST!!! That’s not a knock on AJAx. He was an average to slightly above average LT last year. He could be a good RT in a couple years. He just isn’t that Wall of Granite/Toad Grader that we all know would make this OL the best in the NFL. That’s not Chicken Little shit. That’s Galileo/Steve Jobs shit!!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
As of this moment, five-of-the-top-nine Rams' 2024 cap hits are with Offensive Linemen.

Even if Noteboom is released, his Dead-$ would keep him in that top-9.

Think it might be time to focus on other position groups. Although some inexpensive depth would be OK.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As of this moment, five-of-the-top-nine Rams' 2024 cap hits are with Offensive Linemen.

Even if Noteboom is released, his Dead-$ would keep him in that top-9.

Think it might be time to focus on other position groups. Although some inexpensive depth would be OK.
Speaking of Noteboom he's playing some serious hardball. We heard that he was approached about a restructure like 2 weeks ago lol

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not even remotely concerned about Avila at center. Stafford taught Ragnow in that regard and he's highly regarded at line calls. Physically Avila is up to snuff and then some. He has plenty of snaps in college doing it as well.

Concern for the OL at this point is LT. We know that Jackson did the job for us last season but are the wheels gonna fall off that particular wagon. Will teams start focusing on that blindside now that the Rams' front will be a brick wall. And can he hold up in the role again. Outside of that I have no concerns on this line at all.

People seem to think I hate AJax but that is not true. I am thankful he did the job for us last season because without his performance we would have lived down to expectations. But him getting through last season doesn't mean it's going to happen successfully again.
Yeah, I was not worried about Avila's performance at center, it was about his helping the guy on his left (Jackson). I hope the other Jackson can help out his twin.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
According to a couple reports I have read, including one just a minute ago on Rotoworld, Jackson was charged with giving-up just one sack in 2023; and only four sacks in his career (873 pass blocks).
Yep. But for some that’s not good enough.

What is it about Jackson that makes you think he’s not a very good OLT?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He's stout which I do like but I think his feet are suspect. When you have a guy that is somewhat questionable at a money position like LT, he's got every reason to play his ass off and do the job. But what happens if and when he gets paid. So I'm very skeptical of him.

But anyway I need to stop criticizing the guy as I have made my opinion on this known so continuing this is overkill. He will probably have this season to prove himself, because even if the Rams draft a LT AJax may be able to win that job and possibly get an optimum payday. I doubt he's good enough to warrant a round 2 pick for some team to sign him away, though I would love to be wrong on that. If we were to get a round 2 pick for him and then also grab our LT of the future at 19 I would be ecstatic.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Well, you may find that the LT the Rams grab in the 1st round is not up to par with what Jackson has done. If Jackson had been a 1st round pick instead of an UDFA everyone would be singing his praises. People need to lighten up on this guy and find another whipping boy. Just accept the fact that the Rams found a diamond in the rough and stop trying to pick his game apart.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He's stout which I do like but I think his feet are suspect. When you have a guy that is somewhat questionable at a money position like LT, he's got every reason to play his ass off and do the job. But what happens if and when he gets paid. So I'm very skeptical of him.

But anyway I need to stop criticizing the guy as I have made my opinion on this known so continuing this is overkill. He will probably have this season to prove himself, because even if the Rams draft a LT AJax may be able to win that job and possibly get an optimum payday. I doubt he's good enough to warrant a round 2 pick for some team to sign him away, though I would love to be wrong on that. If we were to get a round 2 pick for him and then also grab our LT of the future at 19 I would be ecstatic.
Well, if they do draft a tackle and Ajax wins the spot then it goes against the win now concept. The first round tackle could be an edge or corner that contributes this year.

If they do draft an OlT and Jackson plays well this season then they at least should get a third round comp pick

dang

Legend

Does anyone have the QB hits or hurries attributed to AJax? His sacks are beyond impressive but there’s more to the LT value than sacks surrendered so I’m inquiring

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hurries can be found easy for QBs but for the individual linemen you probably gotta pay for one of the premium stat services. ESPN released a win rate list for different positions and he's not in the top 20 for LT/RT. So idk.

Rams have no problems paying guys they believe in. So that's why the way they've approached this offseason speaks to me of a plan that doesn't have AJax in it. But maybe they're planning on paying him LT money on top of two OGs and Havenstein. To me that is a bit crazy but you never know with the Rams. McVay has had his shit kicked in quite a bit with the OL so maybe he's tired of it biting him in the ass.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hurries can be found easy for QBs but for the individual linemen you probably gotta pay for one of the premium stat services. ESPN released a win rate list for different positions and he's not in the top 20 for LT/RT. So idk.

Rams have no problems paying guys they believe in. So that's why the way they've approached this offseason speaks to me of a plan that doesn't have AJax in it. But maybe they're planning on paying him LT money on top of two OGs and Havenstein. To me that is a bit crazy but you never know with the Rams. McVay has had his shit kicked in quite a bit with the OL so maybe he's tired of it biting him in the ass.
A cheap year of Avila and Jackson with a rookie OLT being brought along would keep costs down, but it also is a gamble. Rookies are not guaranteed to pan out.

When does Kupp and Donalds contracts run out?

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A cheap year of Avila and Jackson with a rookie OLT being brought along would keep costs down l, but it also is a gamble. Rookies are not guaranteed to pan out.

When does Kupp and Donalds contracts run out?
Jackson is a perfect bridge type LT for the kid, if they go that route. Good enough to do the job if the kid needs some work, so represents a fallback option. And if someone signs him away even better we just move up and go get the LT.

Kupp has a couple years remaining. AD's contract no idea got confused looking at it. Scotch, weed, and sportrac don't mix dude. :laugh3:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So basically we don’t know for sure if he’s staying in Horns until April 19?