Rams Tendering LT Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
If you're a team that needs a LT and you think Jackson can do the job then that round 2 pick is worth spending on him. Because you're not gonna get guys who are any more likely to do the job at that point in the draft. When it comes to OTs you're getting the guys who are projects at that point. The ones who can start quickly go early.

And I also don't expect anyone to sign him. Because he's marginal at best. So I'll also be surprised if that happens.
Given your view of him, how early in the draft would you target a LT (or do you wait until 2025)?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I’ll be shocked if any team signs him and, in doing so, essentially offers a 2nd round pick for him.

Of course, I’ve been shocked before!
Agreed. We can look at the trade market for comparison.

What type of players get traded for a 2nd AND have a large contract? Only elite ones. AJ was an average LT but he wasn't elite. No one is signing him to a contract and giving up a 2nd for him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Given your view of him, how early in the draft would you target a LT (or do you wait until 2025)?
If you know that you'll have him, meaning nobody will come get him for that round 2 pick, then he's your LT bridge player for 2024 which means you can roll the dice on a round 2 project. But I think after Morgan and Suamataia (who are probably first half of round 2 types) the project types have some serious dropoff.

Also I am no expert on tackles. But it seems to me like the guys who need to learn better feet or balance never live up to that LT type role. At some point that will end up getting them replaced.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Tbh if I were in need of a LT I would look at trading a second for him w a decent contract. The dude can clearly play not to mention finding an LT who can actually play at a consistent level and is very young is really hard to find. Just ask noteboom

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree. What type of players do we see teams give up 2nds for? From what I can recall, pretty much all of them are elite.
If a team offers him 3 for 30, they think he’s worth a 2nd.
I don’t know what is so difficult to understand

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
If a team offers him 3 for 30, they think he’s worth a 2nd.
I don’t know what is so difficult to understand
A team could feel he's worth 3 for 30 but not 3 for 30 AND a 2nd. I don't know what's so difficult to understand about that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A team could feel he's worth 3 for 30 but not 3 for 30 AND a 2nd. I don't know what's so difficult to understand about that.
Because he’s a restricted free agent.
And if a team offers him 3 for 30, they would be well aware that if the Rams decline to match, it costs them a 2nd rounder.
Hence, if a team offers him 3 for 30, they think he’s worth a 2nd.
Pretty simple really

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, if a team doesn't think he's worth a second they won't offer a 3 and 30. Because a second is what it'll cost them if the Rams don't match. If they make an offer then yes, they think he's worth a second.

If someone did make an offer the Rams are not willing to match I sure hope its Carolina. :sunglasses:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If a team thinks he's worth 3 and 30, he's certainly worth a 2nd to them
I don’t agree with that. A second rounder is a valuable piece.
Also.. I’d bet the Rams would jump at that. He’s better than Noteboom at multiple positions and look what Boom got.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don’t have PFF but I looked at the OT rankings and they have Aleric pretty low on the list. I can’t see the scores. It looks like they even had Noteboom higher.

We’ve all seen bad Tackle play. Alex Barron, Jason Smith, Greg Robinson, even Noteboom. It wasn’t hard to recognize. What am I missing on Aleric? He doesn’t bad at tackle.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, if a team doesn't think he's worth a second they won't offer a 3 and 30. Because a second is what it'll cost them if the Rams don't match. If they make an offer then yes, they think he's worth a second.

If someone did make an offer the Rams are not willing to match I sure hope its Carolina. :sunglasses:
Exactly
I dont think the Rams think he's worth more than 5 mill right now

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t agree with that. A second rounder is a valuable piece.
Well, you're choosing to disagree strictly to disagree, Because if a team offers him 3 for 30, they think he's worth a 2nd rounder. Its not opinion, it's fact. That's how RFA tenders work

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don’t have PFF but I looked at the OT rankings and they have Aleric pretty low on the list. I can’t see the scores. It looks like they even had Noteboom higher.

We’ve all seen bad Tackle play. Alex Barron, Jason Smith, Greg Robinson, even Noteboom. It wasn’t hard to recognize. What am I missing on Aleric? He doesn’t bad at tackle.
I'm far from an offensive tackle evaluator. I just know when I see sacks and pressures coming from that side. I don't recall a lot of that coming from his side. Plus, the line as a whole was much better after they bye. And he was one fifth of that equation. How bad can he be? I'd be fine if no one offers him a contract. I know we could do worse.

Memphis Ram

Legend
A team could offer Jackson 3 for 30 (which he'd be crazy to accept as a LT, IMO) in hopes that they could negotiate terms cheaper than the restricted FA tender. But if they sign him to an offer sheet, then that's when the 2nd rounder is locked in if the Rams don't accept.

IMO, Jackson is a pretty good LT. No, he's not Pace or Whitworth, but he's pretty good (some of us just may be spoiled). The Rams may be lucky that this is a pretty deep OT class, or they might just lose him.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
A team could offer Jackson 3 for 30 (which he'd be crazy to accept as a LT, IMO) in hopes that they could negotiate terms cheaper than the restricted FA tender. But if they sign him to an offer sheet, then that's when the 2nd rounder is locked in if the Rams don't accept.
To me its a win win for the team. They either get a left tackle at a good price or they get a second round pick where there is still good value. I remember seeing where some think the second round has the best value. They don't cost as much as a first and there's still good talent at that point. We will see what other teams think of him. No offers then no one thinks he's worth a second.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure what kind of semantics this is but either he’s offered a contract or he isn’t.
An offer sheet is merely a contract

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not sure what kind of semantics this is but either he’s offered a contract or he isn’t.
An offer sheet is merely a contract
A team can come to a verbal agreement with a tendered player and see hey can swing a deal with his team before anything is signed.

We just witnessed this with Brian Burns.

Memphis Ram

Legend
To me its a win win for the team. They either get a left tackle at a good price or they get a second round pick where there is still good value. I remember seeing where some think the second round has the best value. They don't cost as much as a first and there's still good talent at that point. We will see what other teams think of him. No offers then no one thinks he's worth a second.
Not so sure. The Rams may get a cheaper LT, but if the right guy doesn't fall into their laps, they might experience a downgrade at the position.

It's a deep OT draft class but its mostly RTs and/or LT projections. In other words, if he signs elsewhere, Noteboom will probably be back starting at LT in 2024.