Rams Tendering LT Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think a few of the posters on this thread are underestimating Jackson. One sack allowed? What more do you want from a a left tackle, should he be sacking the opposing QB also?
If this is true he will be signed away. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
He's listed at 285 on pro football reference.
Even the Rams' official site has the 285 weight but it's been wrong from Day 1 ... and never corrected.

As @Kupped pointed-out, Jackson himself has stated his weight is much higher. I have heard the 330 number but did not hear the 315 this season. I am sure it is correct, as Kupp is a man of integrity.

Now, that @Loyal fellow is another matter entirely.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Count me in the "people are underestimating" crowd
Would you draft a LT/RT in the 2nd round that you feel confident he will start and be very effective and only require a 3 year deal at 10-12 mill per year?
All day, every day
I love the signing of Jonah and he got a shit ton more $$ than that and has his doubters.
Starting T are the apple of all teams eye, this will for sure be one to watch.
This isnt a waiver claim situation where a team can just put in a low bid and win, AJ could receive multiple offers and decide on the most lucrative

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If this is true he will be signed away. It will be interesting to see what happens.
That’s oversimplified. It’s not like every team needs a left tackle and many that do, know that they can draft one instead of paying for one.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Count me in the "people are underestimating" crowd
Would you draft a LT/RT in the 2nd round that you feel confident he will start and be very effective and only require a 3 year deal at 10-12 mill per year?
All day, every day
I love the signing of Jonah and he got a shit ton more $$ than that and has his doubters.
Starting T are the apple of all teams eye, this will for sure be one to watch.
This isnt a waiver claim situation where a team can just put in a low bid and win, AJ could receive multiple offers and decide on the most lucrative
Well the cool thing is that 2nd rd draft pick .

I’m in my own crowd,but having Noteboom who is a team leader & in a way was all everything last season.I was more impressed with his play more than any season.They were showing Dotson highlights & Noteboom was sealing an edge & plAying RIGHT TACKLE.When Alaric ALL of a SUDDEN leaves The Rams for a game.It was Joesph Noteboom playing LT & finishing out the game hurt.

I do know injuries have been a problem,but he knows his body better than ever & should come into OTA’s & Training Camp better than ever.

My point is if you’re saying a LT should get paid & Alaric Jackson should get paid? Then The Rams will get a 2nd rd PICK !! That’s for a player Les Snead & The Rams got as a UDRFA!!! Made a starter & get a 2nd rd pick!!! NOW that’s a sign of a Excellent Franchise & The Rams have done this multiple time under McSnead.

Being able to move up for a Rookie Top 3 Edge ? Talk about salary cap & the way to build a team.

Yes if there is a player The Rams can develop at LT do it.I’m pounding the table for Payton Wilson in the 2nd rd though.

Latu in the 1st. Rd. He is a team leader who over came (ex Ram) his HC releasing him for concerns ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That’s oversimplified. It’s not like every team needs a left tackle and many that do, know that they can draft one instead of paying for one.

So to simplify it more.What would you say a LT ,or Alaric Jackson is worth on the Open 2024 NFL market ?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
For those that think it’s easy to draft a Left Tackle, consider that five tackles were selected in the first round last year.

Most , if not all, played LT in college. All five started in the NFL this past season.

None started at Left Tackle. None.

It’s a very difficult position for a rookie to play, and play well.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
Exactly. And that’s why I keep saying that only Alt and Fashanu are worthy of a first round pick at LT this year… and it’s highly unlikely that either of them makes it to 19.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For those that think it’s easy to draft a Left Tackle, consider that five tackles were selected in the first round last year.

Most , if not all, played LT in college. All five started in the NFL this past season.

None started at Left Tackle. None.

And Jackson was a UDFA. It seems these guys aren’t all as smart as they think they are.

Most GMs will convince themselves that they can find there OLT in a draft deep at the tackle position, especially if they don’t want to create the cap space to sign one. Later, some GMs will find out that they screwed up by not signing the UDFA with the second round tender, but they didn’t want to give up that second round pick in order to sign Jackson..

Snead gauged the market and decided without a second round tender, Jackson would get signed by another team.

I think Jackson is well worth a second round pick. The Rams wasted first round picks on Tackles that were not nearly as good as he is. (Alex Barron, Greg Robinson, Jason Smith). Aleric is no Trent Williams but he’s a good tackle that allowed only one sack and did a good job in the run game.

The last thing the Rams need is to let Jackson go and create a huge hole at Left tackle that they absolutely have to fill in the draft, and end up being one of those teams that you are talking about, that thought it was easy to draft a left tackle, and end up with a right tackle. I guess they could always put Noteboom back at left tackle. :wow2:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Exactly. And that’s why I keep saying that only Alt and Fashanu are worthy of a first round pick at LT this year… and it’s highly unlikely that either of them makes it to 19.
If I was a GM in need of a left tackle and had cap space, I’d be willing to use my second round pick on the proven commodity in Aleric Jackson.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I keep seeing people say we should trade up for Alt or the Pedo State guy.. I think that'd be an awful idea.

We have a laundry list of holes on Defense, and using precious draft capital to move up for one of them when we have have ol' up and coming reliable in Alaric Jackson, I'd really hate the move.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
I think that'd be an awful idea.
You and me both!

Like you said, we have too many holes in our roster to give up valuable draft capital. Take BPA at 19- if that’s Alt or Fashanu, although highly unlikely, great- and if we don’t get one of those two we make sure we get Kiran Amegadjie (Yale OT) in the third round.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Maybe one of the teams needing a left tackle will be willing to trade a 4th round pick for the Boom.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
And Jackson was a UDFA. It seems these guys aren’t all as smart as they think they are.

Most GMs will convince themselves that they can find there OLT in a draft deep at the tackle position, especially if they don’t want to create the cap space to sign one. Later, some GMs will find out that they screwed up by not signing the UDFA with the second round tender, but they didn’t want to give up that second round pick in order to sign Jackson..

Snead gauged the market and decided without a second round tender, Jackson would get signed by another team.

I think Jackson is well worth a second round pick. The Rams wasted first round picks on Tackles that were not nearly as good as he is. (Alex Barron, Greg Robinson, Jason Smith). Aleric is no Trent Williams but he’s a good tackle that allowed only one sack and did a good job in the run game.

The last thing the Rams need is to let Jackson go and create a huge hole at Left tackle that they absolutely have to fill in the draft, and end up being one of those teams that you are talking about, that thought it was easy to draft a left tackle, and end up with a right tackle. I guess they could always put Noteboom back at left tackle. :wow2:
You are preaching to the choir.

I posted almost a dozen times since last Friday that it would be insane for the Rams to place a low tender on Jackson.

Most of them are on the first few pages of this thread.

dang

Legend
If I was a GM in need of a left tackle and had cap space, I’d be willing to use my second round pick on the proven commodity in Aleric Jackson.
Remember that for perhaps a little more than $4.8m and R2 pick, a team could get a player who could play LT/RT/OG. Obviously most valuable if he can plug into LT but his versatility could add to the interest in him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Remember that for perhaps a little more than $4.8m and R2 pick, a team could get a player who could play LT/RT/OG. Obviously most valuable if he can plug into LT but his versatility could add to the interest in him.
Draft picks are not guaranteed to succeed. Take the sure thing over a second round left tackle. If a team is in position to pick Alt or Fashanu, then there is no reason to sign Jackson and give up a first round pick. But a team that’s drafting later in round two who may miss out on a top tackle could say, let’s not use our first round pick on a tackle we don’t love and instead take BPA and sign AJ with our second round pick.

Jackson had a 96% pass protection grade last year. That’s more of a sure thing than a late second round left tackle is likely to give you.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m in my own crowd,but having Noteboom who is a team leader & in a way was all everything last season.I was more impressed with his play more than any season
Noteboom is gone, cant justify 30 mill of cap/dead cap for 1 season of play. Especially when its likely as a backup

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You are preaching to the choir.

I posted almost a dozen times since last Friday that it would be insane for the Rams to place a low tender on Jackson.

Most of them are on the first few pages of this thread.
It’s possible that the Rams don’t love AJ and there is a first round tackle that they are crazy about. They signed Jackson before this shift in running scheme. They may see him as a better fit in a zone scheme. They could be looking at Fuaga or Mims for instance who kicks ass in the run game and want to trade up to draft him or hope he falls to them

In that case Jackson is their insurance, in case they don’t get their guy, or they get him but it turns out he’s not as good as Jackson, which would suck because it would be a waste of a first round pick if that happened. Then Jackson is the relatively cheap swing tackle at the price they wanted to pay Noteboom. Or he is trade bait that could at least get them a third round pick for a team in need of a left tackle in training camp or at the deadline.
AJ had a 96% pass protection efficiency.

Not matching an offer and taking the second round pick as a consolation is actually the riskier option, because then they absolutely have to get the best oLT they can in the draft, which would force them to trade up or ignore another good player at an area of need, like Edge or corner.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Noteboom is gone, cant justify 30 mill of cap/dead cap for 1 season of play. Especially when its likely as a backup
And Noteboom is another example of @Allen2McVay point that it is t easy drafting a left tackle. The Rams thought they had one and didn’t. ( even though many of us hated that deal).