Rams Tender Hoecht - Right of first refusal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He doesn’t feel like a Rams kind of player, to me.
He's a shitter just like Chase. Prefer to take my chances in the draft to signing guys like that who only play well when the mood suits them or they want to pad their stats to get paid.

methomas50

UDFA
Hoecht is the kind of guy you root for but are always looking to move on from. A whole lot of personnel decisions to be made between now and September.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I like Hoecht a lot and think he will surprise people. He is great for depth and might yet prove to mature into a decent starter. He is a late bloomer that was getting better every week, often in leaps and bounds at a time. If he can continue that ascent, look out, because he'll vastly out perform that contract and become a key piece in a cap world. Hoecht is one player I am excited to watch in 2024-25 because I am curious where that ceiling is. He sure does not seem to have hit it yet.

The only time he didn't look good was when he was dropped into coverage. That's not really on him. It's not what he's built for.

Tano

Legend
I like Hoecht a lot and think he will surprise people. He is great for depth and might yet prove to mature into a decent starter. He is a late bloomer that was getting better every week, often in leaps and bounds at a time. If he can continue that ascent, look out, because he'll vastly out perform that contract and become a key piece in a cap world. Hoecht is one player I am excited to watch in 2024-25 because I am curious where that ceiling is. He sure does not seem to have hit it yet.

The only time he didn't look good was when he was dropped into coverage. That's not really on him. It's not what he's built for.
Yeah and that's the only thing I am really complaining about.

However, his edge support sometimes was lacking too.

He just doesn't have the speed to play outside edge LB.

I want to see him as a 5T

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Hoecht shouldn't be dropped into coverage.
Let's hope Shula is smarter than the unmentionable guy that ran our defense the last few years.
I guess that wouldn't be asking too much.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I love Hoecht on the roster… I hate him as a starting edge.
His hustle.. work ethic and willingness to do whatever it takes to get on the field are FANTASTIC traits to have.
But they need at least one fucking alpha edge.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
I love Hoecht on the roster… I hate him as a starting edge.
Agreed.

Hoecht is the D-line equivalent of Noteboom: the perfect backup player, able to do a decent job wherever needed but not good enough to be the starter in any one position.

fearsomefour

Legend
IMO That fell through when we signed Dotson and Jackson
The Rams have a flexible cap situation.
Redoing Noteboom, Stafford, Kupp etc could free up 10's of millions.
Just the weighing of cost/reward.
Someone like Chase Young has tremendous talent, but, as others have pointed out, he doesn't seem to play hard all the time.
He was pretty much handled by out backup T's during the week 17 game.
Hard to justify paying someone $20M a year if they can't bring it every play.
If Young had Crosbys motor he'd be (maybe) the best edge in football.
Any second tier guys anyone likes?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams have a flexible cap situation.
Redoing Noteboom, Stafford, Kupp etc could free up 10's of millions.
Just the weighing of cost/reward.
Someone like Chase Young has tremendous talent, but, as others have pointed out, he doesn't seem to play hard all the time.
He was pretty much handled by out backup T's during the week 17 game.
Hard to justify paying someone $20M a year if they can't bring it every play.
If Young had Crosbys motor he'd be (maybe) the best edge in football.
Any second tier guys anyone likes?
I think they should sign a low cost guy like Darrel Taylor from Seattle or Dorrance Armstrong from Dallas. It would give them a fall back option.

But it seems they will need to address the edge position in the draft at some point. He’s not my first choice but I think if they have a shot at Latu, then they pick him.

When asked about DB struggles Les immediately sited the Rams lack of pressure on the QB. So it seems they covet a good edge or another pass rushing DT for the rotation more than a corner. I’d love to see them get Quinyon Mitchell though, as I think he’s a better BPA option than any of the edge rushers, if he is available.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think they should sign a low cost guy like Darrel Taylor from Seattle or Dorrance Armstrong from Dallas. It would give them a fall back option.

But it seems they will need to address the edge position in the draft at some point. He’s not my first choice but I think if they have a shot at Latu, then they pick him.

When asked about DB struggles Les immediately sited the Rams lack of pressure on the QB. So it seems they covet a good edge or another pass rushing DT for the rotation more than a corner. I’d love to see them get Quinyon Mitchell though, as I think he’s a better BPA option than any of the edge rushers, if he is available.
Yeah, I haven't looking into the draft too much so far this year.
Adding a second tier guy is ok, but, boy.....bummed Hunter didn't come to the Rams.
That said, all big dollar FA certainly have the chance of being miserable failures....usually due to injuries.
Anyway, I think the Rams should add a CB and S as well in FA.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

Screenshot_20240314_074412_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

If Taylor is available, I would be all for that. He has some upside and has played well from what I can recall.

dang

Legend

The question is - at what position can me maximize his talents? He’s an elephant chasing gazelles in pass coverage so it isn’t OLB.