Rams TE Cook says he Misspoke/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams TE Cook says he misspoke
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_499c634f-d00d-50ac-ad37-e176ceb69d8d.html

In the heat of the moment, after last week’s frustrating 12-6 loss to the visiting Arizona Cardinals, Rams tight end Jared Cook says he misspoke.

“We got outplayed, we got outcoached, and we just put a bad display out there,” a dejected Cook said after the Thursday night loss.

On Tuesday, following a walk-through at Rams Park, the six-year NFL veteran explained further.

“That was my fault for slipping up; it shouldn’t have been said,” Cook said. “But I think everybody kind of knew what I was doing. (The Cardinals) were a better team than us that day. That’s all I was trying to say.

“It wasn’t the best choice of words, I must admit. But I’m only human, right?”

Rams coach Jeff Fisher talked to Cook about his comments the following day.

“We discussed it, and we’re fine,” the coach said.

Cook’s post-game comments can be traced to frustration, but he said that’s no excuse.

“There’s a way to do things. That’s why they give us the time after the game to kind of cool off and get your words together,” he said. “Nobody wants to be in the position we’re in. Nobody wants to have the record that we do.”

The loss, which eliminated the Rams from playoff contention, dropped the team to 6-8 with two games to play — 3:05 p.m. Sunday against the visiting New York Giants (5-9) and Dec. 28 in Seattle against the defending champions.

“Like I said after the game, all we can do is keep fighting,” Cook said. “You gotta finish strong. We still have two good teams ahead of us. ... Gotta have your mind right, and it’s on us to make the best of the season as we can.”

NEW GUY IN TOWN

Doug Worthington was back home in Columbus, Ohio, working out six days a week and spending time with his 5-month-old daughter when the Rams called last week about a workout.

“It’s a great early Christmas present,” said Worthington, a 6-foot-5, 318-pound defensive tackle who was signed to the Rams practice squad on Monday. “This league can be pretty unforgiving. Your opportunities in this league are rare, so to get a call and get a chance like this, it truly is a blessing.”

Worthington played at Ohio State and was selected in the seventh round of the 2010 draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. He’s also been with Tampa Bay, Washington (six games, three tackles, one pass breakup) and San Diego. The Chargers released him on Aug. 29.

“As each week goes by, it gets a little harder, but you have to stay ready,” he said. “For me, it’s a testament to the hard work paying off. When the Rams called, I figured it might be a futures deal, but the practice squad’s even better.

“It gives me a chance to meet the people here, learn the scheme and be around the guys.”

Worthington said that having fellow Buckeyes James Laurinaitis and Christian Bryant around helps ease the transition and said he feels like he will fit in quickly with the Rams.

“The guys on the defensive line have been great,” he said. “They’ve already been cracking some jokes, trying to make me feel comfortable. As I said, this is a great opportunity and I’m hoping to make the most of it.”

HEKKER NOMINATED

Rams punter Johnny Hekker was announced Tuesday at the team’s nominee for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award. Each team nominates a player who represents the NFL’s commitment to philanthropy and community impact.

The winner will be announced at the NFL Honors show on Jan. 31.

“It’s an unbelievable honor just to be nominated,” said Hekker, a third-year pro who earned a trip to the Pro Bowl last year. “I owe lot of thanks to everyone involved in this organization and them making it so easy to be available for community outreach events or whatever we want to do. If we want to put on an event, the people upstairs are more than willing to help us do that.

“I feel like it’s been put in my heart to give back, and I know there are a lot of other guys in this locker room who feel the same way.”

Signed as an undrafted free agent in 2012, Hekker has actively supported Special Olympics, Team Activities for Special Kids (TASK) and is the Rams’ Fuel Up to PLAY 60 ambassador. This season, he’s teamed with Greg Zuerlein and Jake McQuaide to launch the “Kick Cancer” program to benefit SSM Health Care patients and their families who are battling cancer.

In addition, Hekker is active in the Rams’ other community outreach programs.

Established in 1970, the award was renamed in 1999 for the late Chicago Bears running back who represented the very best of the NFL as an athlete and role model. A panel of judges will include Commissioner Roger Goodell, ex-Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, Connie Payton, Frank Gifford, Anthony Munoz and 2013 recipient Charles Tillman of the Bears.

The winner will receive $25,000 donations from the NFL Foundation and from sponsor Nationwide to the charity of their choice. Two additional finalists will receive $5,000 donations, and the other 29 nominees will receive $1,000 donations for their selected charities.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“It wasn’t the best choice of words, I must admit. But I’m only human, right?”
Yeah. That forgives a multitude of sins.
Oh, incidentally, what was it like running 106 consecutive wind sprints yesterday? Was that fun?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah. That forgives a multitude of sins.
Oh, incidentally, what was it like running 106 consecutive wind sprints yesterday? Was that fun?
It's always nice to hear that someone forgives themselves, then you know it will be the last time they make the mistake

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Hey, Mr. Cook...how about you not draw attention to yourself for the remainder of your time with the Rams except while catching passes. And please, catch them.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan of Cook.

Wasn't he the one that shoved Davis?

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
I'm not a fan of Cook.

Wasn't he the one that shoved Davis?

Yeah, that was him. He's a good player and there is definite improvement over the last few weeks, but he's a hot-head.

jared-cook-shoves-austin-davis.gif

Also, he would be the last person on this team I would trust to catch a game winning pass.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was extremely displeased with the shove of Davis and the hands up incident that he was involved with. However I have no problem with him being pissed about being a mediocre team and putting up a poor team performance in a big game. I also think he has great potential on the field and should be getting a hell of a lot more targets. This guy is a huge mismatch going down the middle of the field with LBs and Safeties trying to cover him. Get him the damn ball Schotty!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When teams are winning, guys like Cook are considered "passionate", when they're not winning? Yeah, that's pretty much what we've got here.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I was extremely displeased with the shove of Davis and the hands up incident that he was involved with. However I have no problem with him being pissed about being a mediocre team and putting up a poor team performance in a big game. I also think he has great potential on the field and should be getting a hell of a lot more targets. This guy is a huge mismatch going down the middle of the field with LBs and Safeties trying to cover him. Get him the damn ball Schotty!!
A vocal player shouldn't criticize the coaching staff after a loss. IMO, if you are going to be a vocal player that means you are wanting to be a leader...he should have left it at they got outplayed. Criticizing the coaching is akin to making an excuse.

He's a physical freak with all the tools...however, he is inconsistent at catching the ball...he shoved his QB after HE dropped a catchable pass...he made a political gesture that was divisive...he criticized the coaching staff after a loss...and he's very expensive to boot. Yeah, there a bit to be desired there.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, he makes a lot of money to be shoving our QB, gaining unnecessary publicity and calling out our coaches.

Compared to other tight ends in the league, he's not really that productive.

Now, is that because of our inneffective offense? Probably.

But I also remember him dropping quite a few passes over the past two years, some of which were heartbreakers.

Just not a fan when looking at the complete package.

Hopefully, the offense gets more tools in the off season and becomes more productive, including Cook.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I hate big mouthed players that can't back it up.

I dislike big mouthed players that can back it up. Dez Bryant for example. But I can deal, since they actually add something to the team.

Cook could have been so much more, and he does still have that potential. Still, I am not a fan of his. He is not passionate, he is selfish. If I'm Fish my message to him would be get over yourself and start caring about the team more. Freak size and skills means nothing if you're not making plays, so focus on that.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
A lot of people B & moan about Cook, yet I see few if any claiming that TE is an offseason need.

I think his play has been fine. I think his off-field stuff is forgivable. I think he was a good pickup and hope he remains with the team for the next few years.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Cook is probably the most frustrating Ram there is for me. The dude has talent, but between seeming to take games off and embarrassing off field incidents (these remarks, Davis shove, being part of the hands up nonsense), it's seeming more and more clear to me that he doesn't have things as together upstairs as he should. And I hate saying that about any Ram.

His talent combined with a better mindset would make a perennial All Pro.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A lot of people B & moan about Cook, yet I see few if any claiming that TE is an offseason need.

I think his play has been fine. I think his off-field stuff is forgivable. I think he was a good pickup and hope he remains with the team for the next few years.

IMO TE is an offseason need because Cook should get cut. Besides all of the things listed in this thread the guy is a sulker. When he gets a bad call against him or the Rams start to lose he sits around looking all dejected and his play drops off after that. Maybe I just don't like him. Not my kind of 'team' player and I would hate to create a need where there isn't one but he would be addition by subtraction.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Cook...

He's a top TE for the Rams but average in a heavy passing NFL. Better blocker than he was but not great. Seems pretty cool and humble until something goes wrong. Expensive, but the top receiver on the Rams for receptions. He'll kill a team in the seam on a difficult catch then drop an easy TD.

A conundrum.

Just like Hill as a backup and Schotty, I think the Rams can win with them and should leave well enough alone and focus on building the o line. They will all look like geniuses and stars behind a stout o line.

fearsomefour

Legend
In the video of Cook shoving Davis you can Davis coming over to basically say no biggie on the drop, Hill clapping his hands in the back ground and Hayes reaction to Cook is the best....these are team first guys. We don't know Cook and I have backed off all the negativity toward him because he does has skills and he is not going anywhere ($), but, it would be nice if he put it all together.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that was him. He's a good player and there is definite improvement over the last few weeks, but he's a hot-head.

jared-cook-shoves-austin-davis.gif

Also, he would be the last person on this team I would trust to catch a game winning pass.
Hayes has to be my favorite player on the team right now :)

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Cook - here's some advice. Stop shoving your quarterback, shut the hell up, and start making some plays. Then maybe you won't be 'out-played'.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
IMO TE is an offseason need because Cook should get cut. Besides all of the things listed in this thread the guy is a sulker. When he gets a bad call against him or the Rams start to lose he sits around looking all dejected and his play drops off after that. Maybe I just don't like him. Not my kind of 'team' player and I would hate to create a need where there isn't one but he would be addition by subtraction.

I would argue that he is a team player. Minus the davis shove, I don't mind the guy. Though I do understand why some people don't care for him.

Like it or not Britt and Cook are our offensive leaders and are some of the most experienced guys on this team (which is crazy BTW).

He's probably going to lead our team in receptions for the second straight year, and I can't help but think he would do great with a solid QB. The physical ability is there, and other than a couple blunders the guy is a solid player.

Also, to those who are saying he drops a lot of passes, he has a 4.5% drop rate this year which is pretty solid. Here are some (prominent) TE's who have a higher drop rate:
1. Gronk
2. Graham
3. Vernon Davis
4. Travis Kelce
5. Martellus Bennett

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

I like having him around, I just wish he would chill out sometimes.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
He won't be gone this year. He is a solid second teir TE (which makes him very tough to replace, especially when there are other needs). He counts 8.3mil against the cap next year, and 8 mil is dead money. The years after taht area real question (8.3mil against cap 2016 2mil dead, 8.4 against cap 2017 1mil dead). They seriously over paid for him, but since you can't change that you live iwth what you have form him unless he becomes a huge problem (right now he is far from it as far as we know).