Rams TE Cook says he Misspoke/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
IMO TE is an offseason need because Cook should get cut. Besides all of the things listed in this thread the guy is a sulker. When he gets a bad call against him or the Rams start to lose he sits around looking all dejected and his play drops off after that. Maybe I just don't like him. Not my kind of 'team' player and I would hate to create a need where there isn't one but he would be addition by subtraction.

IMO we shouldn't create an extra need by cutting a talented player who's been our #1 or #2 receiver since joining the team. I mean, Kendricks can get it done, but he's not as much of a mismatch nightmare as Cook.

As far as the off field stuff... The shoving was bad, but he apologized and knows he messed up. The rest is just petty non-sense. Nothing unforgivable.

The guy has passion and wants to win. He doesn't always express it the proper way, but I like having those guys around. At least someone shows agitation and is fed up with the losing.

RamWoodie

Legend
Fisher handled it...no need to make it a soap opera. I think Cook corrected himself nicely...but there's no doubt you leave it to the Coach to address the teams play.

If anything, Cook should have been very general. I would have said "We just couldn't get anything going...that happens sometimes". After that, you leave it.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Fisher handled it...no need to make it a soap opera. I think Cook corrected himself nicely...but there's no doubt you leave it to the Coach to address the teams play.

If anything, Cook should have been very general. I would have said "We just couldn't get anything going...that happens sometimes". After that, you leave it.
I think it's less that this particular incident is being made into a soap opera and more than this is just his LATEST incident, and we worry that he's not learning not to do things like this.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's less that this particular incident is being made into a soap opera and more than this is just his LATEST incident, and we worry that he's not learning not to do things like this.

Like a tiger doesn't lose his stripes kind of thought?

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I was extremely displeased with the shove of Davis and the hands up incident that he was involved with. However I have no problem with him being pissed about being a mediocre team and putting up a poor team performance in a big game. I also think he has great potential on the field and should be getting a hell of a lot more targets. This guy is a huge mismatch going down the middle of the field with LBs and Safeties trying to cover him. Get him the damn ball Schotty!!

I agree completely! As far as I can tell he wasn't being insubordinate, he was just saying we all sucked tonight... I'm cool with it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
“It wasn’t the best choice of words, I must admit. But I’m only human, right?”

As I always say..........

Never ruin a good apology with a bad excuse.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Cook is probably the most frustrating Ram there is for me. The dude has talent, but between seeming to take games off and embarrassing off field incidents (these remarks, Davis shove, being part of the hands up nonsense), it's seeming more and more clear to me that he doesn't have things as together upstairs as he should. And I hate saying that about any Ram.

His talent combined with a better mindset would make a perennial All Pro.

I agree, he seems to lack the mechanism to make sound decisions in a snap.

He is a top flight talent and I want him to stay on the team he just needs to grow up a little bit that's all.

Alan

Legend
LesBaker with some wisdom:
“It wasn’t the best choice of words, I must admit. But I’m only human, right?”

As I always say..........

Never ruin a good apology with a bad excuse.
To be fair to Cook, it's never easy to come up with a good apology when you're only apologizing because you're being forced.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Meh, I don't get why he has to in the first place. He didn't say anything false nor inflammatory. Hell if not for fans and media pissing themselves there probably wouldn't have been anything about it. Doubt Fisher would even have commented if not directly asked, hell I even doubt there'd be as big a stink if it was anybody BUT Cook.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, that was him. He's a good player and there is definite improvement over the last few weeks, but he's a hot-head.

jared-cook-shoves-austin-davis.gif

Also, he would be the last person on this team I would trust to catch a game winning pass.
Just loved Hayes ultra quick reaction. I would have expected that more from an offensive lineman but Hayes saw it and was all over it. That really made me respect Hayes all the more. He was NOT going to let that stand.

Now Mr. Cook. Shut your pie hole, quit with the me first antics, and play TE. You know the media will target you to see if they can get you to spew some other stupid shit. You may want to learn the world of the sound bite for a while.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW - I don't think what he said in the way he said it was any big deal. He mentioned being outplayed first. If you lose a game like that and as an offensive player your side of the ball only scored 6 points, you got outplayed and outcoached. It happens and it was the truth. That doesn't mean he thinks the coaches are incapable of coaching. It means he thinks the whole team (at least on offense) didn't get it done.

Maybe if the team worries about making his comments untrue it will be energy spent more wisely. Time to move on.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Meh, I don't get why he has to in the first place. He didn't say anything false nor inflammatory. Hell if not for fans and media pissing themselves there probably wouldn't have been anything about it. Doubt Fisher would even have commented if not directly asked, hell I even doubt there'd be as big a stink if it was anybody BUT Cook.

Exactly. Can anyone say we weren't outcoached?

I'm fed up with the media storm and inevitable phony apology anytime someone misspeaks or so much as breaks wind.

Can't anyone just get the hell over it anymore? I actually like it when players say something other than the typical PR bull crap.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Exactly. Can anyone say we weren't outcoached?
Yes. I can. They just got more lucky bounces. That's not a reflection of coaching. It's simply luck.

I'm fed up with the media storm and inevitable phony apology anytime someone misspeaks or so much as breaks wind.
As am I, but that's the world we live in unfortunately. :(

Can't anyone just get the hell over it anymore? I actually like it when players say something other than the typical PR bull crap.
Eh. I can live with off-the-cuff remarks, but sometimes players need to act professional too. This isn't the XFL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO we shouldn't create an extra need by cutting a talented player who's been our #1 or #2 receiver since joining the team. I mean, Kendricks can get it done, but he's not as much of a mismatch nightmare as Cook.

As far as the off field stuff... The shoving was bad, but he apologized and knows he messed up. The rest is just petty non-sense. Nothing unforgivable.

The guy has passion and wants to win. He doesn't always express it the proper way, but I like having those guys around. At least someone shows agitation and is fed up with the losing.

I have seen him let his emotions get the best of him and it will look like he quits. You can't have quitters. I would cut him just like when Bellicheck let Randy Moss go. Either you are all in or you are all out.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would argue that he is a team player. Minus the davis shove, I don't mind the guy. Though I do understand why some people don't care for him.

Like it or not Britt and Cook are our offensive leaders and are some of the most experienced guys on this team (which is crazy BTW).

He's probably going to lead our team in receptions for the second straight year, and I can't help but think he would do great with a solid QB. The physical ability is there, and other than a couple blunders the guy is a solid player.

Also, to those who are saying he drops a lot of passes, he has a 4.5% drop rate this year which is pretty solid. Here are some (prominent) TE's who have a higher drop rate:
1. Gronk
2. Graham
3. Vernon Davis
4. Travis Kelce
5. Martellus Bennett

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

I like having him around, I just wish he would chill out sometimes.

Maybe the reason Snead seems to be looking hard at top college WRs this year is that they see Cook as being replaceable in the near future.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
Maybe the reason Snead seems to be looking hard at top college WRs this year is that they see Cook as being replaceable in the near future.

Eh, maybe. Seems like WR should be at the back of their minds. Our wrs are actually pretty solid.

Personally I think we have 3 areas that need immediate attention:

1. Fix the oline
2. Figure out the QB situation
3. Get a solid LB

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Cook, I like the drop % stat @ztoben posted. I also think he said what a bunch of guys in here think everyday....In fact, I just noticed that we haven't scored one,1, UNO touchdowns on our first drive after the half. If that's not coaching, tell me what is.....And I don't blame Schotty...I doubt any OC could do any better with Hill...I think Davis can, and will get better....Anybody ever eff up? Usually the last thing you want to see is somebody coming up telling you everything will be alright....Cook IS our best offensive player at the moment..wish we'd use him more...Bet Bradford will....Bet Hundley will too....oops did that just slip out?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Eh, maybe. Seems like WR should be at the back of their minds. Our wrs are actually pretty solid.

Personally I think we have 3 areas that need immediate attention:

1. Fix the oline
2. Figure out the QB situation
3. Get a solid LB

I disagree about WR.

1.In Quicks third year he still is not at the predicted T.O. Level. Not even close, plus he has a serious shoulder injury.

2. Tavon has his limitations and shows no signs of dominating as a WR

3. Cook is. A head case

4. Britt and Bailey look good

5. What could the Rams offense look like with Amari Cooper added to the mix? Britt then becomes a very good #2 instead of a pretty good #1. Bailey is very good in the slot. Quick would be an excellent third WR.

6. I always believe in drafting to the strength of the draft and this year that is first round WR. At 12 the Rams could get one that would be a top 5 in most drafts.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Yes. I can. They just got more lucky bounces. That's not a reflection of coaching. It's simply luck.

That might be true when it comes to the Mason fumble, or Jenkins missing several turnover opportunities by mere inches.

But when the offense can't get a single first down in its first 5 drives of the second half, and crosses the 50 three friggin' times all game, that's a little more than "tough luck." That's a total failure at every level: coaching, execution, etc.

I understand AZ has a good D and everything, but it's not THAT good. This isn't the 2000 Ravens. They should not be able to do that to us on our own turf.

They prevent points, but teams have been able to pass on them this year. No excuse for not picking up yards between the 20's and eventually getting better field position. Nothing was working, and I think it's a problem with the game plans much as it's a problem with the execution.

Cook didn't say that for no reason. Surely, there's some merit to his words.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree about WR.

1.In Quicks third year he still is not at the predicted T.O. Level. Not even close, plus he has a serious shoulder injury.

2. Tavon has his limitations and shows no signs of dominating as a WR

3. Cook is. A head case

4. Britt and Bailey look good

5. What could the Rams offense look like with Amari Cooper added to the mix? Britt then becomes a very good #2 instead of a pretty good #1. Bailey is very good in the slot. Quick would be an excellent third WR.

6. I always believe in drafting to the strength of the draft and this year that is first round WR. At 12 the Rams could get one that would be a top 5 in most drafts.

And who will be throwing to these WRs?