1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams Signing Davin Joseph

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by RamBill, May 27, 2014.

1. jjab360 Well-Known Member

In case you guys were wondering, it's official now:
    [​IMG]

2. flv 

I think you missed the Saffold reference.

3. ZigZagRam Well-Known Member

When did he play LG? I'm pretty sure they plugged him in at RG his rookie season and he never moved.

He doesn't fit the mold of the mobility that's typically looked for in LGs.

4. Bluesy Reppin' the Rams since 2000

Did he play the whole season though? Thought he didn't start at RT til part way through the season.

5. BonifayRam Well-Known Member

Just think the Raiders allegedly failed Saffold's physical on the shoulder that Saffold separated in the first series in the first 2013 pre season game .....Rams Org a week later passed Saffold & this same shoulder that was the primary weapon in pile driving defenders into the turf as Saffold blew open holes for Stacy while playing ORG last year. If that shoulder is in such bad shape I wonder just how good Saffold will be after a full year of healing flv?

6. DaveFan'51 Well-Known Member

Coach O, I figure 12 of these Players make the final Roster. What say you?

7. CoachO Well-Known Member

If you are including the Practice Squad, then I can see that. I would have a hard time thinking more than 9/10 make the 53 man roster.

8. flv 

I agree with you about the Raiders physical. Saffold had already passed the Rams physical before he met with the Raiders. Joseph passed the Rams physical, which was no surprise seeing as he had passed the Buccaneers physical last year and played all season. My comment was a light-hearted way of suggesting Joseph's physical with us was little more than a formality. (There wouldn't have been much point in the Buccaneers earlier trying to trade someone who'd fail a physical). I don't know how limited Saffold was at the end of the season. Based on what he was later reported to be bench-pressing i'd suggest that he won't be better this season because there isn't much to heal from. Joseph is a different matter. Maybe last season was too early for him and he'll be better this year. Maybe he'd healed as much as he's ever going to and he won't be better this year. We won't really know until we see him in pre-season games. I was interested to see what sort of contract the Rams signed him to but it's too early for the details yet.

9. ZigZagRam Well-Known Member

He played more than 80% of the teams snaps at RT. I'd say that's a pretty significant sample size.

BonifayRam likes this.
  10. Memphis Ram Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to think, but I don't believe that the Rams were interested in trading up for Zack Martin or looking to select Jack Mewhort in the 3rd round because they are thrilled by having Barksdale starting at RT. And if the team does plan to stick with a run-first play action type offense, a better run blocker at RT would help out quite a bit.

11. ZigZagRam Well-Known Member

If they weren't thrilled with Barksdale at RT, I doubt they'd be playing their #2 overall pick at guard. Robinson is more than capable at starting at RT from Day 1. I doubt Barksdale is the long-term answer anyway. As you know, they're not drafting only for this season.

Someone had said they were considering Martin at center. It's clear with the Donald and Mason picks that they were weighing BPA more than filling holes this year. Martin was just that good in their eyes that they wanted to bring him on board.

Where'd you hear we had interest in Mewhort?

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  12. Dieter the Brock SON OF JEN-ORIS

Rams being interested in Zack Martin and Mewhort (who Dee Ford blew up at the senior bowl) is not an indication of how much they like Barksdale. I mean they drafted neither....
    I mean just to show you what I mean -- is the drafting of Donald an indication that they somehow aren't thrilled with Langford, Brockers, Carrington, or Conrath?
    I don't thinks so

13. jjab360 Well-Known Member

In a way, it does. Clearly they weren't impressed with our team's interior pass rush otherwise they wouldn't have targeted as many 3 techniques as they did during the pre-draft process.

flv likes this.
  14. A55VA6 Shutdown Corner

I like this guy. He was outstanding before his injury in Tampa Bay. Hopefully he's healthy and can give us much needed depth.

15. RamBill Well-Known Member

Rams officially sign free-agent guard Davin Joseph
    By Nate Latsch

http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/story/rams-officially-sign-free-agent-guard-davin-joseph-052814

- The St. Louis Rams officially announced the signing of free-agent guard Davin Joseph to a one-year deal Wednesday.

Joseph, who will turn 31 in November, comes to the Gateway City with a resume that includes two Pro Bowl selections (2008, 2011) but also a reputation that he's probably not the player he used to be following a knee injury that wiped out his 2012 season.
    The 6-foot-2, 313-pound former Tampa Bay Buccaneer adds depth and experience to an offensive line in need of both as he is likely to back up the guard combination of Rodger Saffold and No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson.

St. Louis has seen a shakeup at those spots this offseason.

Veteran Harvey Dahl, who began last season as the starting right guard, was released, starting left guard Chris Williams signed a free-agent deal with Buffalo and backup guard Shelley Smith signed with Miami.

The Rams re-signed Saffold to a new five-year deal worth more than $31 million to play right guard, where he excelled in 2013, and then selected Robinson, a left tackle at Auburn, with the first of their two first-round picks earlier this month. All indications are St. Louis will start out the 332-pound Robinson at guard in his rookie season.

Joseph also affords the Rams the ability to move Saffold back to left tackle if veteran Jake Long is not sufficiently recovered from knee surgery. In that event, Joseph could start at right guard.

Before Joseph's signing, the Rams had only youngsters Brandon Washington and Barrett Jones and the recently signed Travis Bond as reserves at guard. Bond was a seventh-round pick by Minnesota in 2013 and was on the Vikings' practice squad when the Panthers signed him. He appeared in two games for Carolina last season but was released and claimed by the Rams last week.

Joseph, who was with Tampa Bay for eight seasons, becomes the third-oldest player on the St. Louis roster, behind only 34-year-old backup quarterback Shaun Hill and 32-year-old center Scott Wells.

Joseph, a 2006 first-round pick from Oklahoma, started 16 games for the Bucs last season but was released in March before the beginning of free agency, which saved the team a $6 million cap hit.

This was a good offseason for offensive linemen, with seven tackles signing contracts worth more than $20 million and six guards, including Williams, signing deals worth more than $12 million.

So it is telling that Joseph, who originally made a free-agent visit to St. Louis in March, was still available to sign with the Rams in late May.

The website ProFootballFocus.com rated Joseph as the second-to-worst guard, No. 80 out of 81 players, in its 2013 season evaluations. PFF rated Joseph as the 46th best (out of 78) in 2011, 82nd (out of 82) in 2010, 75th (out of 84) in 2009 and 57th (out of 74) in 2008.

But even if Joseph can't become the player he was in his two Pro Bowl seasons, he can help the Rams as a backup at an area of need. He will also bring the experience of 99 starts over his 100 career games with the Bucs, something that should help a group of young Rams linemen, including Robinson, to mature.

The @STLouisRams signing Davin Joseph is another good off season move. If everyone's healthy on opening day the OL/DL combo is SB quality.

16. Dieter the Brock SON OF JEN-ORIS

Not sure you can read too much into who they targeted in pre-draft process - especially what they think of Barksdale
    They brought in a lot of receivers too but Fisher didn't draft one, moreover in this article he states clearly is good with his WR's

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/5...eceivers-tavon-austin-stedman-bailey-year-two

The fact is Barksdale is our starting RT in 2013 and will be in 2014 -
    Fact is they moved Saffold inside as oppose to having him play RT. They must be happy with Barksdale at RT because this off-season they resigned Saffold to a nice contract to play G -- I mean so basically with your logic wouldn't they have let Saffold walk and drafted Martin (which they did not) ? Or better yet had Saffold play RT? just not sure about that

17. jjab360 Well-Known Member

I never said anything about Barksdale, just that our interior pass rush could use a lot of improvement which is part of the reason why we drafted Donald.

18. Dieter the Brock SON OF JEN-ORIS

I see that - just got a bit confused since my original comment was in regards to Memphis Ram posting this -
    I'm not sure what to think, but I don't believe that the Rams were interested in trading up for Zack Martin or looking to select Jack Mewhort in the 3rd round because they are thrilled by having Barksdale starting at RT.

But doesn't my point still stands in regards to interior pass rush ?

19. Memphis Ram Well-Known Member

Mewhort interest reported here.
    http://www.ramsaddiction.com/nice-work-if-you-can-get-it-snead-fisher-demoff-panel-discussion

If so, he wasn't drafted because he wasn't on the board when the 3rd rounder came up.

And from what I've read Martin wasn't drafted because the Cowboys selected him ahead of the Ravens who they were working with on the trade up.

ZigZagRam
    Trading back up for Martin to move him to a position he hasn't played sounds kind of funny. And I'd guess they wouldn't want Mewhort for the same position switch. He might be the tallest center in the league.

Dieter the Brock likes this.
  20. CGI_Ram Hamburger Connoisseur

I am still concerned.

We need Long, Saffold, and Wells to emerge healthy out of TC. But agree there is reason to be optimistic.