Rams sign WR Nick Toon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Listening to Fisher's Monday Press Conference, he said there is a chance Quick could play this weekend.

On a separate note, what are the chances Kendricks gets released/traded? Fisher was quoted as saying "If your being paid to catch the football then catch the ball." Sounds like that was directed at Kendricks, and with Cunningham on the practice squad, is there a chance this could happen?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Listening to Fisher's Monday Press Conference, he said there is a chance Quick could play this weekend.

On a separate note, what are the chances Kendricks gets released/traded? Fisher was quoted as saying "If your being paid to catch the football then catch the ball." Sounds like that was directed at Kendricks, and with Cunningham on the practice squad, is there a chance this could happen?

Nah, I doubt it's Kendricks. He had 1 bad game in that area. Cook has made a habit of dropping the football every week, so I think it'd be him, loyalty from Titans aside.

I do have to say though, the Bears are having a "fire sale" of sorts right now. I'd see how much it would cost to get Martellus Bennett.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just putting down the bare sum stats doesn't tell the full story of a player.

Amendola was also our number one receiver and on a short list of guys who were actually catching the balls for us.

Toon was the 3 or 4th guy on their depth chart who was there to see if he could develop into a pretty good second or third guy. They liked what they saw in him, and were sad to see him go, but they couldn't justify keeping his salary when he wasn't playing. It's a lot easier to put up big stats when you're getting targeted hundreds of times over 35 times.

This guy isn't going to be the salvation of our offense, but if he can come and play up to his potential he'll be a pretty good go to guy.

For Toon, it does. Toon was the #4 WR last year. There were 8 players on New Orleans that caught more passes than he did. If they liked what they saw in him, they wouldn't have cut him after letting Stills and Graham go this off-season. He was beat out by three former UDFAs for a spot behind Colston and Cooks. And from what I heard from Saints fans, he was also less impressive than Seantavius Jones.

Meaning that he was the 6th best WR this year on a team that doesn't exactly have a lot of WR talent.

I'm sorry but I don't see anything close to a go to guy. I don't know if I even see Austin Pettis.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just putting down the bare sum stats doesn't tell the full story of a player.

Amendola was also our number one receiver and on a short list of guys who were actually catching the balls for us.

Toon was the 3 or 4th guy on their depth chart who was there to see if he could develop into a pretty good second or third guy. They liked what they saw in him, and were sad to see him go, but they couldn't justify keeping his salary when he wasn't playing. It's a lot easier to put up big stats when you're getting targeted hundreds of times over 35 times.

This guy isn't going to be the salvation of our offense, but if he can come and play up to his potential he'll be a pretty good go to guy.

For Toon, it does. Toon was the #4 WR last year. There were 8 players on New Orleans that caught more passes than he did. If they liked what they saw in him, they wouldn't have cut him after letting Stills and Graham go this off-season. He was beat out by three former UDFAs for a spot behind Colston and Cooks. And from what I heard from Saints fans, he was also less impressive than Seantavius Jones.

Meaning that he was the 6th best WR this year on a team that doesn't exactly have a lot of WR talent.

I'm sorry but I don't see anything close to a go to guy nor do I see that sort of potential.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do have to say though, the Bears are having a "fire sale" of sorts right now. I'd see how much it would cost to get Martellus Bennett.

JMO...go get Alshon Jeffery. He's currently injured and in the last year of his deal. Would be worth making a deal for if the Bears will listen. Bennett is another good option. A final guy I'd ask about is Pernell McPhee if the Rams might want to start looking for Long's successor sooner than later.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
JMO...go get Alshon Jeffery. He's currently injured and in the last year of his deal. Would be worth making a deal for if the Bears will listen. Bennett is another good option. A final guy I'd ask about is Pernell McPhee if the Rams might want to start looking for Long's successor sooner than later.

I just don't think they'd give up Jeffery or McPhee, both are still young and are more important building blocks for the future, compared to Bennett. If Jeffery makes it clear he doesn't want to re-sign there, he probably comes available though. I'd definitely ask about them, you're right.

I'd ask about Kyle Long as well. Hasn't played too well at tackle, but is a great guard.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

I'm sorry but I don't see anything close to a go to guy. I don't know if I even see Austin Pettis.
The guy also only played 8 games, not hard to catch more passes when you're in more games than him. it had nothing to do with talent and the Saints fans I talked to also liked him, not that it really matters I'll take Payton's word over any of the fans, positive or otherwise. It's not hard to get out ranked by other guys when you're out, the exact same thing happened to Amendola. By that very same logic in 2011 such names like Salas, Cadillac Williams, Gibson and Mike Sims Walker were better than Amendola. Not going to beat out too many guys sitting on the bench, that's his biggest problem. The guy needs to stay on the field, the talent is there. Which is not something only we believe, Tennessee and Dallas thought he was worth a look too.

So to put it simply, I disagree.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't think they'd give up Jeffery or McPhee, both are still young and are more important building blocks for the future, compared to Bennett. If Jeffery makes it clear he doesn't want to re-sign there, he probably comes available though. I'd definitely ask about them, you're right.

I'd ask about Kyle Long as well. Hasn't played too well at tackle, but is a great guard.

I'd still ask. Maybe they don't like him in the scheme or they don't think he'll re-sign (and don't want to deal with the franchise tag hassle). In that case, I'd offer a 2016 2nd and a conditional 2017 pick.(if he re-signs with the Rams, they get a 2nd; if he leaves, they get nothing)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The guy also only played 8 games, not hard to catch more passes when you're in more games than him. it had nothing to do with talent and the Saints fans I talked to also liked him, not that it really matters I'll take Payton's word over any of the fans, positive or otherwise. It's not hard to get out ranked by other guys when you're out, the exact same thing happened to Amendola. By that very same logic in 2011 such names like Salas, Cadillac Williams, Gibson and Mike Sims Walker were better than Amendola. Not going to beat out too many guys sitting on the bench, that's his biggest problem. The guy needs to stay on the field, the talent is there. Which is not something only we believe, Tennessee and Dallas thought he was worth a look too.

So to put it simply, I disagree.

The Advocate's Nick Underhill believes Nick Toon has fallen to sixth on the Saints' wide receiver depth chart.

Toon has by all accounts been passed by Brandon Coleman, but Underhill believes he may have fallen behind Joe Morgan and Josh Morgan as well. If that is the case, Toon's roster chances are bleak. He is not worth a late-round flier.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports "there’s still a question" as to how much the Saints like Nick Toon.
Toon has been passed by Brandon Coleman on the depth chart. He's not a lock for a roster spot, and needs to hold off Joe Morgan, Seantavius Jones, and Josh Morgan for the No. 4 receiver job. Toon started and played 22 snaps in the Saints first preseason game, managing one catch for nine yards.

He didn't lose the job on the bench. He lost it on the field. He fell behind 6/7 WRs on a team that wasn't stacked with talent.

And I'm not sure Dallas and Tennessee are worth bringing up for your side. He was a free agent and they both passed on him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's not often a failed receiver resurrects his career with a new team after being out of the league, but who knows.
This may be that one rare instance.

beej

Rookie
This could just be a ploy to put the other receivers on notice. A way of telling them your job is not safe.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
White and Parker got hurt and so many WR's are scoring that no one ever heard of this last weekend. At least 10.

MLB is a very HIGH pick also as we could get Reggie Ragland 6'2" 254lbs for Bama and is C.J. Mosley good . He can be had in upper teens to pick #20 as of the most current Ourlads mock. With so many OT's this draft and us having ours already. WR,MLB,CB look like targets as we have Tru and JJ up in FA'cy and hope E. J. Gaines comes back to us and leads again. Lots of CB's this draft over last years if they stay healthy. NO INJURIES!!!

We drafted receivers that no one has ever heard of and look how that's turned out. Outside of Tavon this has been ignored. Draft a stud and be done with it. Our D is not the problem. If our D was number 1 in the NFL it won't matter if your offense is putting up a whopping 6 points against bad defenses.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Da Bears should be open to all options at this point. They probably want draft picks though.

Ozoneranger

Rookie
JT posted "No big deal" about the Toon practice squad signing on his chat.

I (and others) asked about Quick...as usual, the guy had no info, just saying Fisher said Quick was healthy.

Sometimes I think for a 20 year beat writer, JT comes up short.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
A practice squad signing makes more sense. Sorry to have stirred the pot over what appears to be nothing.

It takes me a few days to get over tough losses and my posts reflect that.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I just listened to the Jeff Fisher show from yesterday, and we didn't even sign Toon according to him. He said that's jumping the gun.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Maybe it's not done. I'll bet the thought was to have him play Larry Fitzgerald all week for the D.