Rams RFA CB Williams gets 1st round tender

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good. If a team does pay a first round tender, though, do the Rams keep Williams?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Good. If a team does pay a first round tender, though, do the Rams keep Williams?
Doubt it. Would really piss me off if some team only offers an $8M per year deal though. Browns might do it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

This could depend on a number of factors, like where in the 1'st round draft we would be, and whether we have re-signed Floyd, or which potential BPA draftees are grading ahead of what the Rams may have to match for a #2 CB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think in a normal year the playoff teams in that 20-30 range is where you have that risk of signing Williams away. But this year the cap stuff probably makes that less likely. Or so I hope.

I want him playing balls to the wall for that big contract this season as we chase a Super Bowl.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want a team to offer him a contract. He will get less this year than he would after this year IMO - so it'd be nice for a team to attempt to sign him so that we can just match it. We'll save money in the long run that way.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Team sends an offer sheet with contract, Rams get to match. If they refuse to match, the team gets Williams and the Rams get their 1st rounder

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I think it's more a matter of being under the CAP, something I imagine which has now been accomplished as they are also at least attempting to re-sign Floyd according to reports. jmo.
Oh no, I was only kidding guys. It was super obvious he'd get tendered.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Alternatively, what if we get a call from the Jags or Jets and they say hell no to a first, but what about a second and a fourth this year. If you're Snead, do you take that deal?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alternatively, what if we get a call from the Jags or Jets and they say hell no to a first, but what about a second and a fourth this year. If you're Snead, do you take that deal?
Not gonna lie that is very tempting. But if you expect as the GM to have a good roster this season then Williams' value is really up there, because your CB matchup ability is a prime factor in being able to win it all. Rams are way better off than most teams with Williams & Ramsey.

I'd have to get a really good trade offer to move Williams because of that and because I think this roster is close to a Super Bowl.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

I don’t. With DWills play this year, he very well could be a #1 CB for a lot of teams, having him as our #2 is a huge reason why our defense is so good. Top notch corners are harder to find than anything, mostly because the rules make it harder on that position than any other.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien

Only if they are able to resign Hill.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not gonna lie that is very tempting. But if you expect as the GM to have a good roster this season then Williams' value is really up there, because your CB matchup ability is a prime factor in being able to win it all. Rams are way better off than most teams with Williams & Ramsey.

I'd have to get a really good trade offer to move Williams because of that and because I think this roster is close to a Super Bowl.

I have to question just how close we are to the Super Bowl after losing guys like Floyd, JJ, Fox, Hill, etc. while being up against the CAP wall and with far fewer than normal reasonably high draft picks ? Darious Williams will be 30 years old heading into the 2022 season, seems he had a better shot at a higher value long term contract this year if the Rams were offering. Rams may prefer to retain Williams with the franchise tag next year while developing a draftee now. If the Rams were to come out of free agency this year without a boost to last seasons roster, then perhaps some greater consideration might be made in accepting a combination of higher draft picks for him as looking more acceptable. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to question just how close we are to the Super Bowl after losing guys like Floyd, JJ, Fox, Hill, etc. while being up against the CAP wall and with far fewer than normal reasonably high draft picks ? Darious Williams will be 30 years old heading into the 2022 season, seems he had a better shot at a higher value long term contract this year if the Rams were offering. Rams may prefer to retain Williams with the franchise tag next year while developing a draftee now. If the Rams were to come out of free agency this year without a boost to last seasons roster, then perhaps some greater consideration might be made in accepting a combination of higher draft picks for him as looking more acceptable. jmo.
Starting with the cornerstone positions those being QB, LT, Edge, and Corner we are plus now in every one except for Edge. And this draft is loaded in Edge, plus it sounds like Floyd is returning so if true we might have all four covered for 2021. Yes Whit is old. But no team has a perfect outlook.

OL is a Center away for 2021. Talent is there to move a very good RT if they want and they can still probably field a plus line because Edwards likely would do well there. Filling OG would not be impossible or a problem. So the most important unit is very close.

Run game is there. It's solely dependent on Akers IMO, but it's there.

Passing game weapons are rich in drive sustainment but not explosiveness. Also I think we have not seen Akers' full impact yet. IMO he is going to be a beast in 2021 and will be felt much more in the passing game. Adding some speed at wideout in the draft isn't impossible. Or second or third wave of FA. And even if they don't and we're favored by health we'll be ok but we're not too far off here.

Defensively ILB is terrible IMO but the rest is a very strong roster. I'd like a blindside Edge and an ILB with some wheels a Corner as well. But even with those holes this is a fine defensive unit.

Rams are close man. They're right there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Starting with the cornerstone positions those being QB, LT, Edge, and Corner we are plus now in every one except for Edge. And this draft is loaded in Edge, plus it sounds like Floyd is returning so if true we might have all four covered for 2021. Yes Whit is old. But no team has a perfect outlook.

OL is a Center away for 2021. Talent is there to move a very good RT if they want and they can still probably field a plus line because Edwards likely would do well there. Filling OG would not be impossible or a problem. So the most important unit is very close.

Run game is there. It's solely dependent on Akers IMO, but it's there.

Passing game weapons are rich in drive sustainment but not explosiveness. Also I think we have not seen Akers' full impact yet. IMO he is going to be a beast in 2021 and will be felt much more in the passing game. Adding some speed at wideout in the draft isn't impossible. Or second or third wave of FA. And even if they don't and we're favored by health we'll be ok but we're not too far off here.

Defensively ILB is terrible IMO but the rest is a very strong roster. I'd like a blindside Edge and an ILB with some wheels a Corner as well. But even with those holes this is a fine defensive unit.

Rams are close man. They're right there.

Re-signing Floyd & Williams makes my earlier post largely moot, would be nice to know where we stand now on available CAP following those transactions. I could still see some potential trading ahead with Hav, Brockers & Kupp, ... time will tell.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I'm a bit pumped up atm. Didn't expect to get Floyd back. Extra bong tokes tonight lol.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah I'm a bit pumped up atm. Didn't expect to get Floyd back. Extra bong tokes tonight lol.

Everything went according to my mock plan today except at Center, so back to the drawing board on that. I'm just hoping to get thru the next couple days without Blythe spoiling things. Cheers on the bong hits, i'm right with you toke for toke.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Why would another team give up a 1st rounder to pay Williams a bigger salary, when they can draft a rookie CB on a 4-yr cheap deal? If you cant find a 1st round corner you like then you need to find a new scouting department. I hope he signs with us, but if someone offers him a bigger deal I would gladly take the 1st round pick and draft a CB. I highly doubt we're going to pay him a big deal next year anyways.