Rams RFA CB Williams gets 1st round tender

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm fine with him playing on a first round tender. Then he has to show again in 2021 which is good for the club. And that first round tender is a bargain for his level of play which is also good for the club.

He won't be able to get the big crib by the beach but maybe pick one of those two. For one year at least before he gets paid. :ROFLMAO:
I agree on the tender. Just don't want to see him leave this off-season, especially if it means we keep Hill over him.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
DWill is the #1 priority to resign. If they don't get a long term deal down he must be a 1st round tender which is still massively too low. If I was any team that needs a DB in the first round I would give up a first in a heartbeat in the back half 15 onward.

Rams please do not do a 2nd round tender that is an instant for any team in the league.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Incredible corner. He'd be even better if he learned to not look so guilty everytime he puts hands on a WR! An elite #2 based on his form the past two seasons. Tender him to see if he can keep it up, and then sign him longer term if he can. The year before last was a small sample size. He's an absolutely elite ballhawk, too. Not sure he's good enough physically to be a good #1 CB, as others have said. But if Ramsey were to ever miss a few games, I feel he could step up admirably short term.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I was any team that needs a DB in the first round I would give up a first in a heartbeat in the back half 15 onward.

Would you really?

I am excited about Williams as everyone else. But, he has had only one season as a starter.

A first rounder? I don’t know...

He turns 28 today, BTW. Happy Birthday, Darious!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would you really?

I am excited about Williams as everyone else. But, he has had only one season as a starter.

A first rounder? I don’t know...

He turns 28 today, BTW. Happy Birthday, Darious!

The other thing about that is any team willing to sign him, would likely be in the same cap situation as us - so it wouldn't be to an outrageous deal. Which means we would be able to match it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Breaking down the Rams’ options with RFA Darious Williams (yahoo.com)
Breaking down the Rams’ options with RFA Darious Williams
1615826203314.png

Darious Williams
was a certified stud for the Rams last season, playing at an extremely high level in his first year as a starter. He picked off four passes in the regular season and had a pick-six in the playoffs, performing as one of the best corners in football.

His future in L.A. isn’t certain, however, as he’s set to become a restricted free agent. A restricted free agent is a player whose contract is expiring and has accrued exactly three seasons in the NFL.

Restricted free agents are easier to retain than unrestricted ones, but they’ll still cost the team a fair amount. With Williams, the Rams have multiple options when it comes to keeping him, each with a different price.

Here are four ways they could retain Williams this offseason.

1st-round tender: $4.766 million

This would be the costliest option for the Rams, but also the one that best protects them from losing Williams. With a first-round tender, it’s unlikely a team would be willing to give up its first-round pick to sign Williams. As good as he is, and as high as his ceiling is, Williams has just one year of starting experience and just turned 27 years old. A team looking for CB help would probably rather spend a first-rounder on a 21-year-old rookie and sign him to a contract much cheaper than what Williams will cost. So for the Rams, if they’re adamant on keeping him around, the first-round tender protects them the most.

2nd-round tender: $3.384 million

The second-round tender comes with a mix of risk and reward. Based on the way Williams played last season, $3.384 million for one season is still a huge bargain. But at the same time, he’s also worth a second-round pick to another team. So with the second-round tender, the Rams would save $1.382 million in 2021, but they would also risk a team signing him to an offer sheet. If the Rams were unwilling to match an offer, they’d get a second-round pick. But will they really be able to find a surefire starter at corner in the second round of the draft to replace Williams? Probably not.

Original-round tender: $2.183 million

The original-round tender should be out of the question for the Rams. It’s the cheapest of the three tenders, but it also doesn’t come with any compensation if L.A. were to lose him. Because Williams came into the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2018, the Rams wouldn’t get a draft pick if he were to leave. Again, it’s less than half the cost of a first-round tender, but there’s a very good chance at least one team would sign Williams to an offer sheet if the Rams used an original-round tender – and L.A. would be in serious danger of losing him.

Contract extension

The Rams don’t have to use one of the RFA tenders on Williams in order to keep him. They could sign him to a long-term extension, which would actually be the most financially helpful option. If the Rams were to give Williams, say, a three-year deal, they could keep his cap hit in 2021 on the lower side by spreading the money out across multiple years rather than just one season with an RFA tender. With an extension, his cap hit could be lower than both of the top-two tenders by backloading the contract in years when the salary cap should be higher. A fair contract for Williams could be three years at $8-9 million p

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Snead mentions player development frequently. Turning a guy they go for free into a first rounder could be considered a win, especially if it allowed for a trade back and netted a few more picks.

I'd like to see DWill stick around but in the big picture it is a success either way. A first could get them another corner they like and a Center if traded back.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
$1.4m is not enough cap space for me to risk losing him. It would only make sense if they love the corners in round two but even then I'd rather not roll the dice at that corner spot this year. Knowing you have a guy who can hold up opposite Ramsey is important to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Snead mentions player development frequently. Turning a guy they go for free into a first rounder could be considered a win, especially if it allowed for a trade back and netted a few more picks.

I'd like to see DWill stick around but in the big picture it is a success either way. A first could get them another corner they like and a Center if traded back.
It is a success either way I agree. I would go high tender though, then if he plays well again he should have tag and trade type value next year.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm glad the Seahawks don't have a first and the Saints are in cap hell because I could see both of them trying to steal Williams with late picks. If some how we tender him at 2nd he'll get grabbed by someone and could see the Seahawks using one of their few picks for him after he abused them all last season. (And Griffin likely leaving)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, they gotta do a 1st. Anything less and he's gone and we won't be able to replace him for anything remotely close.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No-brainer. Thank God because we have enough holes lol. This is a good start. :horns::cool::horns:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Wise decision by Rams. This Rams FO didn’t just fall off the turnip truck. Lol.

Frankly, I suspect that DW is in Ram long term plans. As in 4-5 year extension. He and Ramsey will make a helluva duo and torture QBs for years to come. Lol.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not sure what the hell took so long. They finally came to their senses lol

I think it's more a matter of being under the CAP, something I imagine which has now been accomplished as they are also at least attempting to re-sign Floyd according to reports. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure what the hell took so long. They finally came to their senses lol
They waited to do this as a birthday present for him today. News that he’s going to get at least $4.76 million is kind of a big deal.