Rams rework Brian Allen contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
We should still draft a Center to replace Allen and make him play guard til he eventually gets hurt.
Between this year and next year the OL has to have real NFL starter-levels replacements for : Allen/Shelton at OC, Note at LT and Edwards at LG. I believe they can ride with Hav at RT and either AJax or Bruss at RG. Anything short of this would be a big miss.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
After resigning Shelton, reworking Noteboom and Allen, is that a smokescreen or are they going OL in the 7th, if at all?
This has actually been a pattern of McSneads.
Re-sign a serviceable player at a position and then pick up a free agent upgrade or pick a guy who can be a upgrade.

That way they feel they have serviceable depth they can count on.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Between this year and next year the OL has to have real NFL starter-levels replacements for : Allen/Shelton at OC, Note at LT and Edwards at LG. I believe they can ride with Hav at RT and either AJax or Bruss at RG. Anything short of this would be a big miss.
I agree, the Rams have a lot of work to do to improve the line play. Hopefully we either draft or sign em in FA next year. Would love to see our line dominate the line of scrimmage more often.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
This has actually been a pattern of McSneads.
Re-sign a serviceable player at a position and then pick up a free agent upgrade or pick a guy who can be a upgrade.

That way they feel they have serviceable depth they can count on.
Not when it comes to OL. How many OL free agents have they signed since Whitworth and Sullivan in 2017? They signed FA Austin Blythe the same year and traded for Corbett in 2019. I don't count Skura, Ahboushi and Zach Thomas last season as the choice was play with 3 OL and 3 TEs or sign street free agents. I think they believe they have all they need in Noteboom (T) , Jackson (T/G), Anchrum (G/T), Allen (C), Havenstein (RT), Shelton (C/G), Bruss (G), Arcuri (T) and Thomas (T). I believe they will draft an interior OL, probably a C or C/G. Steve Avila from TCU would fit the bill perfectly, excelling at both spots in his college career. At 335 lbs, a moose.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
I'm super excited to see what the new team of coaches led by McVay can do with the talent we are getting and what we have on board. even when McVay's rams are losing games, they are in most of them. (Except the hated 9ers) Teams will be poaching coaching talent from us again when they see the transformation McVay is formulating with his staff. Go Rams

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just great. Let everyone else walk and keep the cripple. You could have saved 6 mil by cutting him June 1 and drafting a bad ass C.
The restructuring & prolonging objective of the Brian Allen's & Joseph Noteboom's is to ensure Ram fans or Sports talking heads can easily employ the "Injury Excuse" to arm themselves in order to defend the reason for pathetic team performances on Sunday.

Clever Move! I wished I could have thought of that.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'm super excited to see what the new team of coaches led by McVay can do with the talent we are getting and what we have on board. even when McVay's rams are losing games, they are in most of them. (Except the hated 9ers) Teams will be poaching coaching talent from us again when they see the transformation McVay is formulating with his staff. Go Rams
Well for once I wish he would simply say, (to anybody still under contract after the season is over) "if you aren't going to be a HC or coordinator, you aren't going anywhere."

oldnotdead

Legend
Joe Noteboom has been injured twice. When he's healthy he has elite skills at LT. The OL was decimated by injuries of the types that screamed bad technique. That is what got Carberry fired. It's why they hired Wendell to correct the problem. I personally agree with their assessment that Wendell should allow the injury issue to become normal again. Remember one of Noteboom's injuries wasn't his fault as he was fallen on. Both Whitworth and Havenstein have given Noteboom high praise for his talent. I think I will accept their judgment over media and fans.

Allen has been a very good center when healthy. IMO giving him one last season to prove he can stay healthy is a no brainer. Bringing Shelton back was equally a no brainer. IMO Shelton projects as their starting center next year and Allen as trade bait. Shelton also gives them a vet starter at OG this year.

Thomas has talent that the Rams haven't seen on their OL. He can pull which is something lacking in their other OGs. Austin Corbett was discarded as well until the Rams signed him and began to use him correctly. Thomas is probably going to be on that same level in terms of performance but he can do something Corbett couldn't. Thomas can pull and is better on the second level than Corbett.

Toner has shown himself to be a decent backup OG player when given the chance. He's certainly better than Skura. I think he's being groomed to become their backup center when Shelton starts next year.

Bruss was drafted to be their RG of the future. I think he will be fine once he starts. I think because of his injury he will spend this year as a backup OG and will move to RG when Shelton moves to center.

Most people on this board didn't like the 2021 OL either yet they won a SB with it. Shelton played significant snaps on that OL. I understand the Rams need to see what they have on their OL roster and I happen to agree that the talent there deserves to be correctly assessed without prejudice of draft position. High draft status doesn't guarantee an equally talented player. There is a high bar between college play and the NFL. Most OL drafted are out of the NFL within 4 years. This is why most teams take their OL in rounds 2-5. It's been that way for decades and I see the logic. Because of the gap between college and the NFL, most OL take a year or two to develop. Corbett is an example of that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shelton played significant snaps on that OL.
Starting 3 games of 17 is significant snaps? Oh it must be the 10 snaps in 4 postseason games you're referring to?

1679677102061.png

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would not say that Noteboom is an elite tackle.
Even when he's healthy.
I would say he IS serviceable.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Joe Noteboom has been injured twice. When he's healthy he has elite skills at LT. The OL was decimated by injuries of the types that screamed bad technique. That is what got Carberry fired. It's why they hired Wendell to correct the problem. I personally agree with their assessment that Wendell should allow the injury issue to become normal again. Remember one of Noteboom's injuries wasn't his fault as he was fallen on. Both Whitworth and Havenstein have given Noteboom high praise for his talent. I think I will accept their judgment over media and fans.

Allen has been a very good center when healthy. IMO giving him one last season to prove he can stay healthy is a no brainer. Bringing Shelton back was equally a no brainer. IMO Shelton projects as their starting center next year and Allen as trade bait. Shelton also gives them a vet starter at OG this year.

Thomas has talent that the Rams haven't seen on their OL. He can pull which is something lacking in their other OGs. Austin Corbett was discarded as well until the Rams signed him and began to use him correctly. Thomas is probably going to be on that same level in terms of performance but he can do something Corbett couldn't. Thomas can pull and is better on the second level than Corbett.

Toner has shown himself to be a decent backup OG player when given the chance. He's certainly better than Skura. I think he's being groomed to become their backup center when Shelton starts next year.

Bruss was drafted to be their RG of the future. I think he will be fine once he starts. I think because of his injury he will spend this year as a backup OG and will move to RG when Shelton moves to center.

Most people on this board didn't like the 2021 OL either yet they won a SB with it. Shelton played significant snaps on that OL. I understand the Rams need to see what they have on their OL roster and I happen to agree that the talent there deserves to be correctly assessed without prejudice of draft position. High draft status doesn't guarantee an equally talented player. There is a high bar between college play and the NFL. Most OL drafted are out of the NFL within 4 years. This is why most teams take their OL in rounds 2-5. It's been that way for decades and I see the logic. Because of the gap between college and the NFL, most OL take a year or two to develop. Corbett is an example of that.
Elite is the last thing I would use to describe Noteboom

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I need some help here on the first statement that you stated in the above post. Would you take your time and help me out?

Here's what I know:

In 2018 JN spent his entire rookie season as a backup to Andrew Whitworth @ LT he played & completed his only full season of playing in all the regular season games and three postseason games as a rookie in 2018.

In 2019 JN was awarded a starting position & finished 5 gms & was injured/surgery/IR'd & did not play again in 2019. This was injury #1.

In 2020 JN returned to a starting position & finished 1 gm as a starter before being injured once again. JN was placed on IR for 7 weeks. JN recovered from that 2nd injury & starter 7 gms.

In 2021 JN was not awarded a starting position he was a reserve for the entire season, but he did fill in for 2 gms as a starter for an injured LT Whitworth. Whitworth went into the 2021 playoffs injured & out with a knee. JN started for AW for 2 playoff gms & in the 2nd playoff Buc's gm JN suffered a pectoral injury. This would be his 3rd injury. JN missed the 2021 NFC gm & the Rams SB gm due to injury in fact after the 9ers gms JN was placed on the IR to make room for a healthy OL'er. That was JN's 3rd IR event.

IN 2022 JN was awarded a starting position & was able to finish 5 gms as a starter before he was injured for the 4th time. JN missed the rest of the 2022 season after surgery & being placed on the IR for the 4th time.

So my question to you is where am I wrong in what I know?

Last edited:

dang

Legend
I need some help here on the first statement that you stated in the above post. Would you take your time and help me out?

Here's what I know:

In 2018 JN spent his entire rookie season as a backup to Andrew Whitworth @ LT he played & completed his only full season of playing in all the regular season games and three postseason games as a rookie in 2018.

In 2019 JN was awarded a starting position & finished 5 gms & was injured/surgery/IR'd & did not play again in 2019. This was injury #1.

In 2020 JN returned to a starting position & finished 1 gm as a starter before being injured once again. JN was placed on IR for 7 weeks. JN recovered from that 2nd injury & starter 7 gms.

In 2021 JN was not awarded a starting position he was a reserve for the entire season, but he did fill in for 2 gms as a starter for an injured LT Whitworth. Whitworth went into the 2021 playoffs injured & out with a knee. JN started for AW for 2 playoff gms & in the 2nd playoff Buc's gm JN suffered a pectoral injury. This would be his 3rd injury. JN missed the 2021 NFC gm & the Rams SB gm due to injury in fact after the 9ers gms JN was placed on the IR to make room for a healthy OL'er. That was JN's 3rd IR event.

IN 2022 JN was awarded a starting position & was able to finish 5 gms as a starter before he was injured for the 4th time. JN missed the rest of the 2022 season after surgery & being placed on the IR for the 4th time.

So my question to you was your first sentence in your above post correct or incorrect? Where am I wrong?
Barring a turnaround Note is good swing tackle depth. Nothing more. Nothing less. Quoting the tired quote “best ability is avail-ability” and his body is not built for full time OT avail-ability.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Elite is the last thing I would use to describe Noteboom
Trying to be positive here........I have to say that Noteboom had one of the smoothest pass-blocking setups I have ever seen. His ability to slide out & set up was truly special. A thing of pure beauty in OL coach's eyes.

Somehow JN lost that in 2022......he needs to go find it in the worse way.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

You keep saying Noteboom has only been injured twice, that isn’t true and you have been given the correct information at least twice. He has been injured at least 4 times and has missed almost as many games as Allen. An Achilles injury for your LOT is a death knell, he is nothing more than depth at this point.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Here's what I know:

You’re not wrong, he just isn’t paying attention.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Trying to be positive here........I have to say that Noteboom had one of the smoothest pass-blocking setups I have ever seen. His ability to slide out & set up was truly special. A thing of pure beauty in OL coach's eyes.

Somehow JN lost that in 2022......he needs to go find it in the worse way.
Yeah elite needs proof of it over time for me. I hope he can be but so far he's proven he's not very durable.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Here's what I know:

You're right, Joe Noteboom has been on IR 4 times. 2019, tore his ACL, season ending, missed 10 games. 2020 he had a calf injury and they put him on "short term IR". He missed 6 games. 2021 he was put on IR 2 days prior to the SB. **Would it have been season ending IR or even IR at all, if it wasn't 2 days prior to the Superbowl? Missed 2 postseason games. 2022. Torn achilles, missed 11 games. Totals? 4 IR trips, twice for minor injuries. 27 games missed, 2 postseason games missed. Yeah, he's been injured. Twice seriously. 6 years, 27 games missed.

Let's compare that to another Rams OL. Rodger Saffold played 16 games his rookie year. In year 2, was put on IR and missed 7 games. In year 3, injured in week 2, missed 6 games but at that time there was not "temporary IR" or "IR with callback status" like their is now. But he missed the same number of games Noteboom missed in 2020. Injured in week 2 and inactive for 4 games in 2013. Again, no temporary IR (a minimum of 3 weeks). In year 5, played all year. In year 6, injured again (4th time), put on IR and missed 11 games. So Saffold wasn't on IR as much as Noteboom because IR with callback didn't exist at that time. But he was injured just as often. And then suddenly in 2016 he was healthy and remained that way only missing 1 game that year, 1 game in 2020 and 2 in 2021 with Tennessee.

I was in the camp, "this guy is injured too much" back then but honestly when he signed with the Raiders and failed the physical, opening the door for the Rams to resign him, I was happy. What camp were you in? "Let's keep him, he's good" or "Let him go, he's injured too much"? Turns out in his first 6 years he missed more regular season games (28) than Noteboom and the only reason he didn't miss as many postseason games is because the Rams weren't in the postseason back then. But he turned out to be a good OL who could stay healthy. No chance JN does that, I suppose?

FWIW, despite being injured as much as Noteboom his first 6 seasons, when the Rams let him walk after 2018, the reaction was akin to losing Tom Mack! Go figure.

Last edited:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
You're right, Joe Noteboom has been on IR 4 times. 2019, tore his ACL, season ending, missed 10 games. 2020 he had a calf injury and they put him on "short term IR". He missed 6 games. 2021 he was put on IR 2 days prior to the SB. **Would it have been season ending IR or even IR at all, if it wasn't 2 days prior to the Superbowl? Missed 2 postseason games. 2022. Torn achilles, missed 11 games. Totals? 4 IR trips, twice for minor injuries. 27 games missed, 2 postseason games missed. Yeah, he's been injured. Twice seriously. 6 years, 27 games missed.

Let's compare that to another Rams OL. Rodger Saffold played 16 games his rookie year. In year 2, was put on IR and missed 7 games. In year 3, injured in week 2, missed 6 games but at that time there was not "temporary IR" or "IR with callback status" like their is now. But he missed the same number of games Noteboom missed in 2020. Injured in week 2 and inactive for 4 games in 2013. Again, no temporary IR (a minimum of 3 weeks). In year 5, played all year. In year 6, injured again (4th time), put on IR and missed 11 games. So Saffold wasn't on IR as much as Noteboom because IR with callback didn't exist at that time. But he was injured just as often. And then suddenly in 2016 he was healthy and remained that way only missing 1 game that year, 1 game in 2020 and 2 in 2021 with Tennessee.

I was in the camp, "this guy is injured too much" back then but honestly when he signed with the Raiders and failed the physical, opening the door for the Rams to resign him, I was happy. What camp were you in? "Let's keep him, he's good" or "Let him go, he's injured too much"? Turns out in his first 6 years he missed more regular season games (28) than Noteboom and the only reason he didn't miss as many postseason games is because the Rams weren't in the postseason back then. But he turned out to be a good OL who could stay healthy. No chance JN does that, I suppose?

FWIW, despite being injured as much as Noteboom his first 6 seasons, when the Rams let him walk after 2018, the reaction was akin to losing Tom Mack! Go figure.
When Noteboom turns in a couple years as a road-grading beast for one of the NFL's top offenses, I'll forgive his injury-riddled beginnings, like we rationally did with Saffold.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Yeah Saffold had a genetic problem with his shoulder(s) that once it was fixed via surgery, it was fixed.

Noteboom has had several different things, knee, pec, now Achilles. Not really the same situation.