Rams rework Brian Allen contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
That may or may not happen. All I can say is many, many Ram fans have been saying "Go OL early and often" the last 4 drafts and it hasn't worked out that way. After resigning Shelton, reworking Noteboom and Allen, is that a smokescreen or are they going OL in the 7th, if at all?
I have been one of those fans and was really disappointed we didn't go OL in 2020 or 2021 other than Anchrum in the seventh

And although it didn't hurt us in 2021 due to Allen being able to play the majority of the year, I still believe it dramatically hurt Goff not having a reliable center in 2020.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I hope this is a pay cut vs restructure. Pretty dumb to make him a higher cap hit when this dude has reliable knees like Derrick Rose.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Really hope this doesn’t blind them to the need to reload the C position with top end talent.

I was really happy to see how well he played in 21 but just as disappointed with 22. All starting with them NOT cleaning up that knee early in the off-season.

The lower number is great but C can’t be a revolving door. Of course the staff must know more about his current health than we do.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just great. Let everyone else walk and keep the cripple. You could have saved 6 mil by cutting him June 1 and drafting a bad ass C.

Last edited:

muggmeister

Rookie
Why are they trying to completely fuckup next year's cap? He already had a dead cap hit of $2.4M next year, why increase in the hit by pushing money there? In other words, I don't think there's a chance in hell that he will be on the Rams roster at this point next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Why are they trying to completely fuckup next year's cap? He already had a dead cap hit of $2.4M next year, why increase in the hit by pushing money there? In other words, I don't think there's a chance in hell that he will be on the Rams roster at this point next year.
I don’t think we know the nature of this contract move. My guess is a pay cut, not a restructuring.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
And although it didn't hurt us in 2021 due to Allen being able to play the majority of the year, I still believe it dramatically hurt Goff not having a reliable center in 2020.

Winning the SB doesn’t mean it didn’t hurt us.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This demonstrates how tough the Rams are in requiring you to play to your contract. Quickest way to get off this roster is make more than you can earn. And yes that is true with all teams, but the Rams in particular will cut bait on your ass quicklike and in a hurry.

So for the guys who are still making some diniero on this roster produce or you're gone in the postseason.

Also and for the record I am fine with this. Far better to have a head coach with highest standards who is impatient with your underperforming ass than to have a guy like Fish who ends up allowing it. Just hurts sometimes when it's a favorite player. This year for myself seeing Floyd leave sucked, as I'm a big fan of 54.

For Allen this buys him some time. He's going to need to stay healthy and even then his days are probably numbered.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I hope this is a pay cut vs restructure. Pretty dumb to make him a higher cap hit when this dude has reliable knees like Derrick Rose.
It looks to me like they took this year's salary, cut it in half and put in next years salary. If he's cut next year prior to June 1st, it's a 3.15 mil cap hit......hardly a dent in the 2024 cap room they have.......but a 4.9 mil cap savings. Despite the rumors they suck, these guys are pretty smart.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
It looks to me like they took this year's salary, cut it in half and put in next years salary. If he's cut next year prior to June 1st, it's a 3.15 mil cap hit......hardly a dent in the 2024 cap room they have.......but a 4.9 mil cap savings. Despite the rumors they suck, these guys are pretty smart.
Well I did say I hope it's a pay cut which it seems like it is so that is a smart move cuz he's been unreliable for the most part due to health issues

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That is actually pretty surprising. I guess he won't be released or traded it seems and we are less likely to draft a center high. We now have 2 under contract.

Hope you're wrong about that. He can play G too. He's serviceable but not really a plus guy so I still think they should look at the position and consider taking someone if the right guy falls to them and let Allen be depth. Think he's too injury prone to be a full-time starter.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
damn, was hoping for fresh legs
train
ps here's hopin Shelton is movin back to guard and Rams still draft a Center
Your really hoping for that ?

I’m not JUMPING on that Train!!
Let’s hope Bruss is not a BUST!!

I’m hoping for BETTER!! Plus Shelton is CHEAP depth that knows the system and can be a SOLID SWING C/G

oldnotdead

Legend
Shelton is insurance at center. My feeling that they would allow Allen one more year to prove he can play injury free was right. That said it was prudent to re-sign Shelton as insurance in case he doesn't this year. But in the long run, the Rams have extended Shelton twice now. He wants to be a starting center and he deserves to be if not here then elsewhere. That's why regardless of Allen, I see Shelton as the center going forward in 2024. Allen then becomes trade bait. Good centers don't come available often. Allen will be 29 next year.

Shelton will be a RFA next year. That means they have to extend him, tender him or allow him to walk. Shelton is 2 years younger than Allen and has proved he is a starting quality center. Believe me, there will be a market for Allen next year, he will be 29 and a proven starting center. A mid-round pick for a 29 yo starting center? If Allen is injured again this year, then Shelton takes over permanently which accounts for the language of his reworked contract. Next year he's a bargain as a starting center at about $4M on a second round tender. But they would be wise to simply sign him long term starting at $4M next year, which is half of what they would be paying Allen.

What makes Shelton a good center? He has good field vision and field awareness, i.e. he's cognizant of what is happening around him. There was a play where he was at RG where he came off a double team block with Havenstein, and picked up a delayed blitzing LB. It was a very good move by a veteran player. It also showed his ability to move and execute a block on the move. He still has an occasional tendency to lunge or can be inconsistent with his footwork. Those are things Wendell can correct since he was also a center in the NFL.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
So what's that give us?.......About 14.5 mil in cap space?
2 Chainz Pockets GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST