Rams rework Brian Allen contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Add $3.2mil to cap space this year.

Per Jason from Over The Cap via Ramswire on Facebook.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Add $3.2mil to cap space this year.

Per Jason from Over The Cap via Ramswire on Facebook.

View: https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1638920941869715457?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1638920941869715457%7Ctwgr%5E24ca417e7b91d6e5c99000950923b66835e39ad2%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2023%2F03%2F23%2Frams-brian-allen-contract-cap-space-savings%2F

Rams rework Brian Allen’s contract, save $3.2 million in cap space
CAMERON DASILVA
Thu, Mar 23, 2023, 10:37 AM CDT

75e2a400590e3b55b34b5e1e5b74d3cb

Brian Allen was viewed as a potential cap casualty for the Los Angeles Rams this offseason, but he doesn’t seem to be heading anywhere. According to Over The Cap, the Rams reworked Allen’s contract and saved $3.2 million in cap space.

Allen came into the year with a cap hit of $6.2 million, a pretty sizable cost for a center who’s been injured in recent years. Now, his cap number will only be $3 million, which is much more manageable for the cap-strapped Rams.

Over The Cap didn’t specify whether this was a traditional restructure, but assuming it was, Allen will now have higher cap hits in 2024 and 2025 – the latter of which is a void year when he won’t actually be on the roster.

This is a vote of confidence for Allen, suggesting the Rams will keep him around as their starting center this season. That doesn’t mean they’ll ignore the center position in the draft, but the front office and coaching staff clearly feel confident in Allen as their starter.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
That is actually pretty surprising. I guess he won't be released or traded it seems and we are less likely to draft a center high. We now have 2 under contract.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I think the Rams could still draft a Center or Guard early. This restructuring gives them a year to groom his replacement.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now if the Rams can just "re-work" Brian Allen.
Allen is a great leader and has the confidence of both Stafford & McVay, however, the knee is an ongoing issue and one would surmise, if he can't make it through another season, he will be gone in 2024.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This rework likely means a pay cut and not just a restructure. They likely came to him and let him know it's either a paycut or a cut.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
That is actually pretty surprising. I guess he won't be released or traded it seems and we are less likely to draft a center high. We now have 2 under contract.
You ain't kidding!! Noteboom and Allen both restructured. Seems they are in the plans.

And it seems like McVay/Snead are gonna go Edge, WR, TE, RB, CB, TE, RB, LB, QB, PK, Edge!!!!!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So what's that give us?.......About 14.5 mil in cap space?
I think it's right around there. Might be waiting for any FA agreements before they try to move anymore money around.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've been saying all along that Allen is a very good center when healthy. That many of the OL injuries were caused by poor technique. Now the Rams have a new OL coach who played in the NFL for 9 years on the OL, including center, the Rams are going to give Allen a year to "prove-it" i.e. stay healthy. The Rams were impressed by how much Allen helped Mayfield by making the OL blocking calls dependent upon what he read. This only confirms what I know about Allen. Good centers are hard to come by.

It's why they re-signed Shelton, because he's almost as good, at center. I hope they keep both long term. I see Shelton at probably LG with Bruss and Thomas competing for the start at LG.

LT Noteboom
LG TBD (Bruss or Thomas with Zach having the edge IMO)
C Allen
RG Shelton
RT Havenstein (they should start Jackson but won't because of cap cost of Havenstein, not because he's better)

Shelton is a better RG than Allen. Right now Swings look like OT/OG Jackson, OG/C Toner, OG Thomas or Bruss. I wouldn't completely discount Toner earning that last OG spot right now. He's a vet who has played decently when he's gotten snaps. On a scale of 1-10 this OL would be a 6-7 with Havenstein the weak link. With Jackson at RT they would be a 7 which is a good OL. They would have good movement skills with Thomas, Shelton, and Allen allowing them to play run blocking schemes they haven't been able to. This is bringing clarity to the OL and why I don't see it as a priority this year, especially in light of their needs at edge, LB and CB.

BTW remember Budda Baker (5 pro bowls) was taken by the Cards at 36. So those who think good DBs only go in the first round are sadly mistaken. Baker had the speed and agility to play CB but safety was his best fit due to his stature. Tyson Campbell was taken at 33 and has outplayed his draft value as well.

As far as edges are concerned 5 of the top 10 edges on many boards are projected to go at the top of the second round. So a good edge will be there. These are things that Snead is looking at so signing both Allen and Shelton saves them a pick in this draft.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Allen is a great leader and has the confidence of both Stafford & McVay, however, the knee is an ongoing issue and one would surmise, if he can't make it through another season, he will be gone in 2024.

I agree with that; and believe Carberry also held Allen in high regard.

However, aside from the injuries, Allen lacks size, strength and power; and those short-comings are frequently exploited. A number of centers are not power-players but the good ones can be effective with quickness and agility. Unfortunately, Allen also comes-up-short in that area ... in my opinion.

I think Brian Allen knows exactly what to do on most plays.
I just don't think he is physically able to do it on many plays.

Tano

Legend
You ain't kidding!! Noteboom and Allen both restructured. Seems they are in the plans.

And it seems like McVay/Snead are gonna go Edge, WR, TE, RB, CB, TE, RB, LB, QB, PK, Edge!!!
Sigh - I hope this is not the case because I think they need to get an 0l in the first 3 picks and an OL in either the sixth or seventh

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Sigh - I hope this is not the case because I think they need to get an 0l in the first 3 picks and an OL in either the sixth or seventh
That may or may not happen. All I can say is many, many Ram fans have been saying "Go OL early and often" the last 4 drafts and it hasn't worked out that way. After resigning Shelton, reworking Noteboom and Allen, is that a smokescreen or are they going OL in the 7th, if at all?

Ram65

Legend
Looks like the Rams are keeping the O Line gang together. I like a healthy Allen. Hope he stays healthy.

Still hope they get some others in draft and or FA.