Rams rework Brian Allen contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yeah Saffold had a genetic problem with his shoulder(s) that once it was fixed via surgery, it was fixed.

Noteboom has had several different things, knee, pec, now Achilles. Not really the same situation.
Really? Genetic problem, eh? I've been Google searching Saffold and surgery, Saffold and injury, Saffold and genetic problem and can't find anything on the latter. If you can provide a link, I'd gladly read it. What I did discover is Saffold had surgery on each shoulder (at 2 different times). He also had a knee injury prior to his failed physical in Oakland. And as late as 2021, he had shoulder issues again with Tennessee. So whatever was supposed to be corrected obviously wasn't 100%. And as much as you'd like to think it was different than Noteboom, it really wasn't. Perhaps he learned to play with a little pain?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? Genetic problem, eh? I've been Google searching Saffold and surgery, Saffold and injury, Saffold and genetic problem and can't find anything on the latter. If you can provide a link, I'd gladly read it. What I did discover is Saffold had surgery on each shoulder (at 2 different times). He also had a knee injury prior to his failed physical in Oakland. And as late as 2021, he had shoulder issues again with Tennessee. So whatever was supposed to be corrected obviously wasn't 100%. And as much as you'd like to think it was different than Noteboom, it really wasn't. Perhaps he learned to play with a little pain?
It wasn't anything genetics it was a torn labrum.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Let me see if I can find it.

oldnotdead

Legend
Elite is the last thing I would use to describe Noteboom
Both Havenstein and Whitworth described him as having elite skills. Sorry but I will believe there assessment.

Yeah Saffold had a genetic problem with his shoulder(s) that once it was fixed via surgery, it was fixed.

Noteboom has had several different things, knee, pec, now Achilles. Not really the same situation.

Re: Stafford: He experienced pain this past season in that same elbow which he tried to play through. He said he played through the same pain the year before. Either it wasn't fixed or he's getting tendonitis in it. It clearly affected his deep accuracy where he missed throws he normally didn't.

Rd: Noteboom: Pec injuries experienced by OL is normally associated with poor technique as are some Achilles injuries, due to poor footwork. Those can be explained by poor OL coaching. Again they fired Carberry for a reason, i.e. poor coaching. When the entire OL goes down that is symptomatic of a coaching and or conditioning issue.

So you dump a guy that played outstanding prior until the advent of the hiring of a poor OL coach? So his outstanding play earlier was an aberration? I don't think so and neither do the Rams. It's clear that the Rams don't share the negative opinion of Noteboom as the fans on this board. Considering the depth of their experience with that player whose judgment is most likely correct? In fact that applies to all the OL players.

The FO and McVay seem to feel the need to reassess their OL roster before making long term decisions. This is a harsh reality of making a business decision over and above any emotional football reaction. Their approach to in the draft will provide clarity as to their feelings regarding the OL. As fans all we can do is wait and see and accept whatever approach they choose. That's why ranting and railing about the OL personnel makes no sense, especially at this point. All we can do is take out clues from what they do. They extended Shelton, and made a cap adjustment for Allen. So the inference is they want to keep Shelton, and Allen gets one more year with 2024 and beyond in question and TBD.

They have kept Thomas and Toner so they apparently like what they see in both. Bruss they drafted last year to be a starter at OG, probably on the right side. Noteboom is like Allen, in that he is being given one more year to get back on track. If he stays injury free then I would expect him to continue on in 2024. If they choose to move on from him they have Jackson who would cost them $6.8M to keep. But then they will need a RT because Havenstein will cost them $14.7M. Arcuri didn't look good in his limited snaps.

This is why IMO the Rams would love for Noteboom to get back on track so that Jackson can step in for Havenstein next year.

Oh BTW Pro Football Reference shows Shelton playing 215 snaps in 2021 with 2 starts which was 20% and in 2022 played 719 snaps (92%) with 13 starts.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Both Havenstein and Whitworth described him as having elite skills. Sorry but I will believe there assessment.

Re: Stafford: He experienced pain this past season in that same elbow which he tried to play through. He said he played through the same pain the year before. Either it wasn't fixed or he's getting tendonitis in it. It clearly affected his deep accuracy where he missed throws he normally didn't.

Rd: Noteboom: Pec injuries experienced by OL is normally associated with poor technique as are some Achilles injuries, due to poor footwork. Those can be explained by poor OL coaching. Again they fired Carberry for a reason, i.e. poor coaching. When the entire OL goes down that is symptomatic of a coaching and or conditioning issue.

So you dump a guy that played outstanding prior until the advent of the hiring of a poor OL coach? So his outstanding play earlier was an aberration? I don't think so and neither do the Rams. It's clear that the Rams don't share the negative opinion of Noteboom as the fans on this board. Considering the depth of their experience with that player whose judgment is most likely correct? In fact that applies to all the OL players.

The FO and McVay seem to feel the need to reassess their OL roster before making long term decisions. This is a harsh reality of making a business decision over and above any emotional football reaction. Their approach to in the draft will provide clarity as to their feelings regarding the OL. As fans all we can do is wait and see and accept whatever approach they choose. That's why ranting and railing about the OL personnel makes no sense, especially at this point. All we can do is take out clues from what they do. They extended Shelton, and made a cap adjustment for Allen. So the inference is they want to keep Shelton, and Allen gets one more year with 2024 and beyond in question and TBD.

They have kept Thomas and Toner so they apparently like what they see in both. Bruss they drafted last year to be a starter at OG, probably on the right side. Noteboom is like Allen, in that he is being given one more year to get back on track. If he stays injury free then I would expect him to continue on in 2024. If they choose to move on from him they have Jackson who would cost them $6.8M to keep. But then they will need a RT because Havenstein will cost them $14.7M. Arcuri didn't look good in his limited snaps.

This is why IMO the Rams would love for Noteboom to get back on track so that Jackson can step in for Havenstein next year.

Oh BTW Pro Football Reference shows Shelton playing 215 snaps in 2021 with 2 starts which was 20% and in 2022 played 719 snaps (92%) with 13 starts.
Revisionist history again. Noteboom only had one of his poor years with Carberry.

And, I have no idea why you brought Stafford into the discussion we were talking about River Saffold.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
One question OND.....who the hell is Toner?
I can’t find it but, I c add t see article on StL Today. I know there was talk about it when Saffold failed the Raiders physical and when he had the original shoulder surgery.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Revisionist history again. Noteboom only had one of his poor years with Carberry.
Yeah but the ACL injury was a dumb play by Allen shoving the defender....from like 5 yards away.... into Notebooms leg while he was engaged with a defender.......on a quick WR screen IIRC. The guy was nowhere near pressuring and Allen had him blocked. Dumb.

Last edited:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Noteboom has not proven anything at all. Please give me an actual playing example of this guy doing so instead of a cop out like saying Havestein and Whitworth (both teammates of his) said so. Are they supposed to shit on the guy as a teammate, of course not. Facts are facts, Noteboom hasn't proven anything except being injury prone. There is a reason so many mocks are talking about us taking a tackle. Shit, Ty Nsekhe has proven more than Noteboom has recently. It's not that I don't wish the guy success, but when someone becomes unreliable, they should be replaced. I feel like the Rams hate admitting when a lineman just isn't cutting it. Worst examples are Demby and Evans.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yeah but the ACL injury was a dumb play by Allen shoving the defender....from like 5 yards away.... into Notebooms leg while he was engaged with a defender.......on a quick WR screen IIRC. The guy was nowhere near pressuring and Allen had him blocked. Dumb.
It was not a dumb play by Allen it is what happens regularly especially with C helping out. You can go back and watch it on the game highlights for that game.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It wasn't anything genetics it was a torn labrum.

Yeah, When he tore his labrum, it was found that he had essentially weakened labrums (kinda like a birth defect) that would be significantly stronger after repair. He didn’t have them both repaired because iirc he said the doctors told him that it was better to repair a failure than to cut and fix it… something about how it’s repaired.

So he and the team knew the other was gonna fail and then he’d be good to go.

We didn’t keep him because after the repair, he was playing at a pro bowl level and we couldn’t afford to keep him

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
@oldnotdead
Team players like Whitworth and Havenstein WOULD give high praise to a teammate.

And they also did a lot of coaching up and genuine pulling for the player to succeed.

We usually average about a half a dozen ELITE LTs playing elitly in any league year and I can't think of any time that Noteboom rose to that level.

But let's hope he can continue to improve and have a healthy year in '23.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Let me see if I can find it.
I do recall that in news reports @ that time when Fisher was the HC that the press was asking about a possible Genetic Shoulder problem.

I recall questions asking if Rodger had naturally "loose" shoulder sockets.

So this was being mentioned here (ROD) & in the Sports Press, but I don't think it was the case with Rodger's constant shoulder issues.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It was not a dumb play by Allen it is what happens regularly especially with C helping out. You can go back and watch it on the game highlights for that game.
Okay, I'll agree. Whitworth was blocking Bosa (and got beat on a bullrush), Noteboom was blocking a DT and Brown had picked up the inside blitzer. Allen was double teaming Buckner with Blythe and came off to blast the blitzer Brown had stood up, knocking him into Noteboom's leg as he was stoning the DT. Not dumb, just hitting somebody in the heat of the moment...... FWIW, Havenstein got beat on the other side too. As a result of Noteboom going down, the DT knocked Goff off balance (while he was climbing the pocket), and got credit for another sack unfairly attributed to Noteboom!!! :ROFLMAO: