Rams QB Nick Foles skips start of OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So Sam & Nick are alike in many ways....not surprised....not in the least...All that leader talk can go somewhere else now...
http://lasportshub.com/2016/06/01/n...ly&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

http://www.endzonescore.com/los-angeles-rams-nick-foles-debacle/39000

Los Angeles Rams: The Nick Foles debacle
Brendan Abban

Around this time last year the Los Angeles Rams had made a trade to swap quarterbacks with the Philadelphia Eagles; to trade Sam Bradford and a 2015 fifth-round pick for Nick Foles, a 2015 fourth-round pick and a 2016 second-round pick. The reasoning behind the trade was to relieve themselves of Bradford’s immense rookie contract which he never truly lived up to due to persistent injuries and inconsistent play.

It also was to rack up on trade assets in the form of two draft picks. Looking down the line, the accumulation of the draft picks benefited the Rams when they would eventually make the trade with the Tennessee Titans for the pick that would land them Jared Goff.

At that moment, Foles had just come off of a season that was derailed by injury and had dropped off from the stellar season he had the year before. Those apart of Rams nation and within the organization were hopeful that they would be getting the Nick Foles of 2013, who had led them to a playoff berth in which they lost in the wildcard round. Foles heightened his market value with that 2013 season in which he threw 27 touchdowns to two interceptions, and had a passer rating of 119.2 according to pro-football-reference.com.

This production is what bidders for Foles were hoping to receive despite his sub-par 2014 season. Unfortunately, the Rams at the end of the day would see production more similar to the Foles of 2014 rather than 2013. In a Rams jersey, Foles actually performed worse than he did for the Eagles. As a Ram in 2015, Foles threw for seven touchdowns, ten interceptions, and had a passer rating of 69 per pro-football-reference.com

Under Foles the offense was relatively grounded, as it ranked 32nd in passing yards per espn.com. Despite the herculean efforts of rookie (at the time) running back Todd Gurley, the Rams offense ranked last in total yardage and most of that can be attributed to the lack of production by Foles. His performances were so anemic, head coach Jeff Fisher‘s hand was forced into benching Foles for backup quarterback Case Keenum.

The experiment turned out to be a failure, but in the big picture could turn out to be a major win if Jared Goff turns into the franchise quarterback the organization hopes he will be. At times in the season we saw flashes of the old Nick Foles but more often than not it was Nick Folds who seemed to be under center for the Rams. I have a saying that is, “failures of the past sculpt the successes of the future”. Hopefully the failures of so many quarterbacks in the past such as Nick Foles, will pave the way for Jared Goff to step through and make a difference for the franchise.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He plays like crap last year, he should show up to show some leadership.

Also, if I sucked at my job and still got paid a crap load of money. I'd stay and do my job at the best of my crappy ability and smile.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Still believe when the dust settles, Nick will be a Kansas City Chef.
hqdefault.jpg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Fingers crossed another team, hopefully a desperate one, comes calling before we have to cut him. That is his future. Stay in shape Nick so you can maybe impress would be courters!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously we can't assume anything here, but I would love to get paid $10 million to be a clipboard holder

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
To be fair, Foles took one of the worst beatings I have ever seen a QB endure, where he didn't end up injured afterwards in the Green Bay game. I cringed after a while watching it, and he was never the same afterwards playing QB. He needs to go, whether traded or cut. It's a cold blooded business, and we need the spot.

Bulger took some similar beatings and never really recovered. Injuries can be mental also, seems kinda natural to get a bit gun shy when your coach and O-Line allow you to become a punching bag on a consistent basis. Some QB's have more tools to deal with specific problems, but lack elsewhere, ... where a Case Keenum or Austin Davis are more effective escaping the pocket, they may not have the skills of accuracy like a Bulger or Bradford when left free. Foles, in his limited time here, appeared to lack both escapability and accuracy more often than not, and once the OL was decimated, his options quickly shrank. Considering the fact that the Rams offense has had so few promising receiving targets over the last several years, along with poor or injury riddled OL's, Keenum has performed remarkably well under the circumstances, a few additional options on the receiving end and he may have had a better overall outcome, but history doesn't wait, and drafting Goff hopefully cures a major ailment, combing excellent skills in pocket awareness, reading defenses, good vision and a quick arm, beating the blitz, and a high rate of throwing accuracy. Our young, inexperienced and oft injured OL has had a year of recovery & development, the addition of two WR's along with two receiving TE's to the roster also improves our odds somewhat, so now it's just a matter of required time for their development and chemistry to all come together, hopefully sooner rather than later. In the meantime, we depend on Gurley to lead us while the remainder of the offense pulls itself together. Lets pray for far fewer OL injuries than we have grown so used to these last years and have the coming out party all loyal Rams fans truly deserve. jmo.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'd be surprised if he was on the roster come August and I'm sure he would be as well. Not surprised he isn't there and don't really care.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There actually may be something in the works, mutually, to where he was not expected to show up. (trade)

We shouldn't assume anything here.
This could make sense however now is a weird time to consummate the trade. Would have thought he'd be traded prior to the draft or they'll wait and see if a team loses a Vet QB and looks to trade

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Who do they have besides Smith? I'm really surprised Reid hasn't called yet, unless this is like a Cassel/Patriots situation.

They've got Aaron Murray. He'll never be a starter in the NFL but he's a very smart QB and he practically lives in the film room. He doesn't have the prototypical arm or frame but he can manage a game well if Alex Smith gets hurt.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
From this article it seems as though they are mutually waiting for a trade...

Rams' Fisher, Foles 'trying to work things out' http://www.thescore.com/news/1036890 (via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Benny Sieu / USA TODAY Sports
Rams' Fisher, Foles 'trying to work things out'
Arun Srinivasan Jun 1, 2016 3:49 PM
Los Angeles Rams head coach Jeff Fisher confirmed Wednesday that quarterback Nick Foles hasn't taken part in team activities since the NFL draft.

The Rams traded up to obtain the first overall pick and selected quarterbackJared Goff out of Cal. As a result, Foles was ostensibly displaced from his role.

Foles didn't attend the start of OTAs Wednesday and it appears his tenure with the club may be over.

"As it was correctly reported this morning, he has not been here to participate in the offseason program since the draft,” Fisher said at a press conference. "I've had conversations with Nick, we're on the same page and we’re trying to work things out and that's pretty much all I can say.

"These are voluntary. We have three quarterbacks on the field right now. It's hard enough to get reps for all three of them. We're in the process of sorting things out with NIck. It has nothing to do with him not wanting to come in and compete at all. He's very, very competitive. We appreciate everything he did for us and his leadership (and) his teammates miss him. I don't have any more information."

Foles, along with 2015 fourth-round and 2016 second-round picks, were acquired by the Rams in a trade with thePhiladelphia Eagles in March 2015, in exchange for Sam Bradford and a 2015 fifth-round pick. Subsequently, Foles was signed to a two-year, $24.5-million extension.

However, Foles struggled in 11 starts, completing a paltry 56.4 percent of his passes for 2,052 yards and seven touchdowns against 10 interceptions.

Goff, along with running back Todd Gurley and defensive tackle Aaron Donald are the faces of the franchise, a conclusion Foles evidently drew himself.

"I think Nick has the feeling if things stay the same, he's probably not gonna be on the roster," Fisher said. "But beyond that it was more of a mutual thing, not that we said don't come. It was just say, 'Hey Coach I'd just rather stay away until we get things worked out,' And I said I'm fine with that.

"It had nothing to do with being disappointed. It has to do with the business side of our game right now."

Sean Mannion and Case Keenum are the other quarterbacks on the roster, and with both in tow, the Rams may seek to extract value out of Foles via trade, with Goff heavily favored to win the starter's role.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The reasoning behind the trade was to relieve themselves of Bradford’s immense rookie contract

yes, that $13m was immense. it's chicken feed for even an average qb back then let alone now. it seems all these bloggers, i can't even call them journalists anymore, just copy each other's ill informed articles. the rams paid foles more than that so how did they rid themselves, exactly, from that immense contract?