Rams Projected Depth Chart 2020 season: Post Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Man I forgot we had Adonis Alexander. 6'3 CB. We need a tall CB and he's got some talent.

Alexander is very versatile. He can play all three corner spots and all three safety spots. H Haley's defense is reliant on versatility. So, Adonis should have a role as a backup being so adaptable.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ADONIS has an uphill battle to make the squad. I too love me some tall CB's

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agreed. And I think a lot of that was the league adjusting to him and challening him more, not to mention the quality of competition he saw at RG. He struggled the most vs 91 from SF, probably his worst film. But 91 was playing at a Pro Bowl level last season. He was wrecking dudes.

I have a lot of concern across our OL just not with Edwards. I think he's going to be something in fact.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think eqvans should be RT... Havenstien is overrated and hasnt been any good since he doesnt have saffold next to him anymore

oldnotdead

Legend
This is what I think the final 53 will look like at this point. The Wildcard on the o-line is Allen and his health. Assuming he's 100% as he claims, I think he reclaims his job. Blythe did not outplay him during his tenure at C. I think the Rams pick up a returner in Brandon Polk. He times in the mid 4.2 to 4.3 range. He's only 5'9" but has blazing speed.

I also think Mundt's time is over with the drafting of Hopkins. I see Anchrum on the PS as one of the only 2 drafted players, not on the active roster. Noteboom starts the season on PUP and Blythe gets cut when he returns to the active roster. This is why I don't think Blythe starts at C if Allen is healthy. Even if Allen isn't healthy I think he will battle Shelton for the spot. If the competition is fair and unbias I think Shelton beats out Blythe. If they move to a power gap scheme like I think they will the C will be expected to execute second level blocks, something Blythe struggles with. It's why IMO Anchrum isn't a good scheme fit until he improves his ability to execute on the second level. Otherwise, he's an interesting pick with more upside than you would think for such a late pick.

Jefferson will clearly be ahead of Reynolds if not at the start of the season but early on. He's simply too good not to play. They took him in the second round and they won't sit him. He was taken with the pick they got for Cooks and IMO he's the replacement for Cooks. He's an excellent fit for a ball-control offense, like what I expect O'Connell to install getting open in the short to medium ranges quickly.

I expect the Rams to play more 12 personnel with the second TE (probably Hopkins) as the lead blocker. either in motion or as a half-back. Both Henderson and Akers are good scheme fits for that kind of offense. This is why I would be surprised if they kept Mundt. He struggled when they tried to use him that way last year. Their receiving corps is really improved. They have multiple options now with their TEs and WRs.

On defense, I think it was a mistake to sign Brockers. Lewis is a far better and more versatile player. The fact they signed Brockers to what is essentially a 2 year contract will retard Lewis' development IMO. I think Brockers will be nothing more than a 2 down player. I think at this point Lewis will be a rotational player behind both Brockers and Floyd. I think he's insurance in case they can't resign Floyd which I think would be a huge mistake. A defensive front of edge Lewis, 1T Robinson, 3T Donald, edge Floyd is a championship caliber d-line capable of getting really good fast pressure on passes, and good penetration on runs. As much as I liked Fowler, Floyd is better in that he's far more versatile.

Lewis IMO could be the biggest gem in the draft when considered where he was taken. He's good enough to be a true SAM like Ebukam, and an outstanding edge as well. He has two areas that need improvement. He needs to hit the weight room and build up his body as he struggles to set a hard edge in the run game. Ebukam was originally the same way but his training room work allowed him to be a very good SAM with the ability to set a hard edge and to stack and shed. Lewis can do likewise. His other area is to simply to continue to develop and polish his technique. He has average long speed but a very good first step and very good arm length giving him a good play radius. Once he improves his technique he definitely will be a player OC's must account for.

I think despite his flashes, Okoronkwo has slipped in the eyes of the coaching staff. I think they still see potential in him but he needs to prove this year that he can live up to the hype and if he can't I see him released or traded next year. His battle is to prove he can be a solid rotational edge for Floyd and Lewis once Brockers is gone.

Personally I loved this draft. To get 7 (maybe 8 if Sloman can beat out the other two guys, but I think he ends up on the PS this year) guys who can contribute in their rookie years is outstanding drafting.

Offense:

LT Whitworth
LG Corbett
C Allen
RG Edwards
RT Havenstein

Reserve: Evans OT/OG
Shelton OG/C
Brewer OT/OG
Blythe OG/C

Noteboom on PUP (Blythe released when he returns)

QB Goff, Wolford
RB Henderson, Akers, Brown, Kelly
WR Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Reynolds, Webster, Brandon Polk
TE: Higbee, Everett, Hopkins

Defense:

DE: Brockers, Lewis, Okoronkwo
NT: Robinson, Gaines
DT: AD, Brockers, Robinson
WIL: Floyd, Lewis, Okoronkwo

Mike: Kiser, Johnston
MO: Young, Howard
SAM: Ebukam, Reeder

RCB: Ramsey, Burgess, Hill
LCB: Long, Burgess, Alexander
Slot CB: Burgess, Williams, Deayon

FS: Johnson, Scott, Gervase
SS: Rapp, Fuller

K: TBD ( I think Hajrullahu probably wins the job. But Sloman makes the PS to work on his consistency and improve his technique his run up is too slow for the NFL and must be improved IMO)
LS: McQuaide
P: Hekker
Returners: Polk & Webster

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I suspect they'll play Evans at a lot of LT this camp. In college he dipped a bit when they moved him to LT for his final season at Oklahoma, he was a lot more confident on the right side the previous year. So letting him have a ton of snaps focused in at LT is probably the way to go, and a good way for the Rams to get a feel for whether he can do it. He has a lot of work to do on his technique if he's going to factor in at LT for us.

Hav is really an important piece. If he rebounds it allows for the above and it also pairs him with Edwards for what should be a solid duo in the run game. Pass game might be another matter, but they should be able to open up some holes for our new backfield.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a reminder, it's a 55-man roster this year, which might be the difference between keeping someone like Mundt.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This is what I think the final 53 will look like at this point. The Wildcard on the o-line is Allen and his health. Assuming he's 100% as he claims, I think he reclaims his job. Blythe did not outplay him during his tenure at C. I think the Rams pick up a returner in Brandon Polk. He times in the mid 4.2 to 4.3 range. He's only 5'9" but has blazing speed.

I also think Mundt's time is over with the drafting of Hopkins. I see Anchrum on the PS as one of the only 2 drafted players, not on the active roster. Noteboom starts the season on PUP and Blythe gets cut when he returns to the active roster. This is why I don't think Blythe starts at C if Allen is healthy. Even if Allen isn't healthy I think he will battle Shelton for the spot. If the competition is fair and unbias I think Shelton beats out Blythe. If they move to a power gap scheme like I think they will the C will be expected to execute second level blocks, something Blythe struggles with. It's why IMO Anchrum isn't a good scheme fit until he improves his ability to execute on the second level. Otherwise, he's an interesting pick with more upside than you would think for such a late pick.

Jefferson will clearly be ahead of Reynolds if not at the start of the season but early on. He's simply too good not to play. They took him in the second round and they won't sit him. He was taken with the pick they got for Cooks and IMO he's the replacement for Cooks. He's an excellent fit for a ball-control offense, like what I expect O'Connell to install getting open in the short to medium ranges quickly.

I expect the Rams to play more 12 personnel with the second TE (probably Hopkins) as the lead blocker. either in motion or as a half-back. Both Henderson and Akers are good scheme fits for that kind of offense. This is why I would be surprised if they kept Mundt. He struggled when they tried to use him that way last year. Their receiving corps is really improved. They have multiple options now with their TEs and WRs.

On defense, I think it was a mistake to sign Brockers. Lewis is a far better and more versatile player. The fact they signed Brockers to what is essentially a 2 year contract will retard Lewis' development IMO. I think Brockers will be nothing more than a 2 down player. I think at this point Lewis will be a rotational player behind both Brockers and Floyd. I think he's insurance in case they can't resign Floyd which I think would be a huge mistake. A defensive front of edge Lewis, 1T Robinson, 3T Donald, edge Floyd is a championship caliber d-line capable of getting really good fast pressure on passes, and good penetration on runs. As much as I liked Fowler, Floyd is better in that he's far more versatile.

Lewis IMO could be the biggest gem in the draft when considered where he was taken. He's good enough to be a true SAM like Ebukam, and an outstanding edge as well. He has two areas that need improvement. He needs to hit the weight room and build up his body as he struggles to set a hard edge in the run game. Ebukam was originally the same way but his training room work allowed him to be a very good SAM with the ability to set a hard edge and to stack and shed. Lewis can do likewise. His other area is to simply to continue to develop and polish his technique. He has average long speed but a very good first step and very good arm length giving him a good play radius. Once he improves his technique he definitely will be a player OC's must account for.

I think despite his flashes, Okoronkwo has slipped in the eyes of the coaching staff. I think they still see potential in him but he needs to prove this year that he can live up to the hype and if he can't I see him released or traded next year. His battle is to prove he can be a solid rotational edge for Floyd and Lewis once Brockers is gone.

Personally I loved this draft. To get 7 (maybe 8 if Sloman can beat out the other two guys, but I think he ends up on the PS this year) guys who can contribute in their rookie years is outstanding drafting.

Offense:

LT Whitworth
LG Corbett
C Allen
RG Edwards
RT Havenstein

Reserve: Evans OT/OG
Shelton OG/C
Brewer OT/OG
Blythe OG/C

Noteboom on PUP (Blythe released when he returns)

QB Goff, Wolford
RB Henderson, Akers, Brown, Kelly
WR Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Reynolds, Webster, Brandon Polk
TE: Higbee, Everett, Hopkins

Defense:

DE: Brockers, Lewis, Okoronkwo
NT: Robinson, Gaines
DT: AD, Brockers, Robinson
WIL: Floyd, Lewis, Okoronkwo

Mike: Kiser, Johnston
MO: Young, Howard
SAM: Ebukam, Reeder

RCB: Ramsey, Burgess, Hill
LCB: Long, Burgess, Alexander
Slot CB: Burgess, Williams, Deayon

FS: Johnson, Scott, Gervase
SS: Rapp, Fuller

K: TBD ( I think Hajrullahu probably wins the job. But Sloman makes the PS to work on his consistency and improve his technique his run up is too slow for the NFL and must be improved IMO)
LS: McQuaide
P: Hekker
Returners: Polk & Webster

I really enjoy reading your posts, old. But your anti-Blythe bias certainly perplexes me.

I’m not saying Blythe is an All Pro, but damn! They didn’t extend him for $3.9M just to cut him this summer. I mean, that’s delusional. And is Allen your nephew or something? Allen seems infinitely more likely to be cut than Blythe from where I’m sitting.

But we do agree on most of the rest, fwiw.

I don’t see how they can keep our top 4 picks off the field, barring injury. That’s an amazing thing to occur in one draft, especially without a 1st. And Hopkins is gonna get snaps, too.

I’m predicting that the Rams will not have the following in ‘21:

Big Whit
Brown (maybe even this year)
Everett
Obo
Hill

Possibly Ebu and JJ, too. Results on the former and price on the latter.

I also predict several pleasant surprises from this UDFA crop.

Ram future sure looks bright to me.

oldnotdead

Legend
All it would do is to break down Blythe's play to see why he's a marginal talent. Merlin did and wondered on his same board why is he in the NFL as his missed blocks were killers. If they move to a power gap scheme go ahead and look at diagrams of it. The center needs to be mobile and good at second level blocking. It is the difference often times between a 2-3 yd run or 8+ yards on the same run.

I watched Nick Hardwick for his whole San Diego career. He wasn't the best one on one pass blocker, but he was an excellent blocker on the second level. Many times it was his block that sprung Tomilson for long gains. So believe me I know what I'm seeing in Blythe and that is someone who struggles to move and misses as many or more of his second-level blocks.

That is why he's no favorite of mine. People put Sullivan on a pedestal and denigrate Allen. Yet Allen in his first year as a starter clearly outplayed Sullivan and not just by my evaluation but by professional evaluators as well. If I was to tell people last year that the Rams would have a better center in 2019 how many people here would have been all for it? Well, they did until he got hurt. Now you want a marginal player to be the starter over Allen? ALLEN OUTPLAYED BOTH SULLIVAN AND BLYTHE. His play was not nearly as bad as people here seem to think. That's why if he is 100% it doesn't make sense not to play him and have him be a backup to a guy who isn't as good.

Remember the Ram's let Blythe walk and he had no offers. The Rams were clearly moving on as they signed Shelton to fill the backup position....not Blythe but Shelton. The Rams signed Blythe as insurance when they learned of Allen's diagnosis of COVID-19. Blythe knows the system and he was available. They could potentially release a LB but why cut someone who might have a future to retain a guy they were moving on from?

It's not a vendetta by me. Look at it from the Rams perspective. Had it not been for Allen's illness, they would not have signed Blythe. Even if they keep him on the roster it's clear he's not making the team next year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As a reminder, it's a 55-man roster this year, which might be the difference between keeping someone like Mundt.

I actually didn't know that. Thank you for explaining. We definitely could keep Mundt, but I think we keep a wide receiver or a offensive lineman on offense, and a linebacker or defensive back on defense. Maybe we even keep two kickers? Who knows, right?

oldnotdead

Legend
I could be wrong but I don't think the roster expands until they move to the 17 game season. The real change I know that will be implemented this year is the expansion of the active gameday roster by 2 players and the requirement that at least one of those 2 is an o-lineman. Normally teams only carry 8 o-line as they activate 7 on gamedays. This means all o-line will be active on gamedays or they will now carry 9 on the active roster.

Because of the truncated season and the fact they may be playing games without spectators, the word I'm hearing is that the NFL is considering that the roster changes won't take effect until next year. I think everything is in flux and the teams might not want to spend the money on expanded rosters if they won't have fans in the stadium. That's millions of dollars they won't get each week. So I'm going by the normal 53 until they finalize what is going to happen.