Rams Projected Depth Chart 2020 season: Post Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/25/nfl-draft-rams-depth-chart-projection-2020/

The Los Angeles Rams came away with some impact players in the 2020 NFL Draft this weekend, fortifying the offense early on before adding some versatile defenders on the other side of the ball. The team still has a long way to go before the season begins, whenever that is, and the roster is beginning to get filled out.

With the new rookies now in the mix, we’ve put together a new projection for how the depth chart could look for the Rams. It includes the latest additions to the roster, except for the undrafted rookies, who have little chance of making the roster.

Here’s how the offense looks on paper, featuring new starters at running back and wide receiver with Darrell Henderson or Cam Akers, and Josh Reynolds or Van Jefferson at WR3.

(New starters are italicized and rookies are underlined).

Offense
PositionStarterBackupReserveReserve
QBJared GoffJohn Wolford
RBDarrell Henderson/Cam AkersMalcolm Brown
WRJosh ReynoldsVan Jefferson
WRRobert Woods
Slot WRCooper KuppNsimba WebsterGreg Dortch
TETyler HigbeeGerald EverettJohnny MundtBrycen HopkinsKendall BlantonEthan Wolf
LTAndrew WhitworthJoe Noteboom
LGAustin CorbettJoe NoteboomJeremiah Kolone
CAustin BlytheBrian AllenColeman SheltonNate Trewyn
RGDavid EdwardsAustin BlytheJamil DembyChandler BrewerTremayne Anchrum
RTRob HavensteinBobby Evans
The defense looks extremely different than it did last year with new starters all over the place. The linebacker unit is completely remade with four new starters across the board.

The secondary also has a lot of new faces, including rookie Terrell Burgess possibly starting at nickel corner.

Defense
DTAaron DonaldTanzel Smart
NTA’Shawn Robinson Sebastian Joseph-DayGreg Gaines
DEMichael BrockersMarquise Copeland
ROLBOgbonnia OkoronkwoSamson EbukamNatrez PatrickJachai Polite
ILBTravin HowardKenny YoungClay Johnston
ILBMicah KiserTroy Reeder
LOLBLeonard FloydTerrell LewisJustin LawlerJeff Holland
LCBJalen RamseyDarious Williams
RCBTroy HillAdonis Alexander
NCBDavid LongTerrell Burgess
FSJohn Johnson IIITerrell BurgessNick Scott
SSTaylor RappJordan FullerJake Gervase

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

fuck me that's a good looking team.

i bet if they have any sort of preseason jefferson will be ahead of reynolds.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ogbo ahead of Ebukam? Not sure about that one. Ebukam had way more snaps last year.
Obo also wasn't active for part of the season. I was about to look into how that worked at the end of the year. Looking at it there were only a couple weeks where they both took snaps and only one week Obo was even close to the same snap count. We'll see what happens who knows Staley may prefer Obo. Going to be an interesting camp.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The only part of the team that scares is the ILBs and C. Otherwise I’m good with it.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I’m swiping this from Agamemnon on another board, it includes the free agents.

1587919018864.png

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m swiping this from Agamemnon on another board, it includes the free agents.

View attachment 35934
That's a good find, thank you.

I don't agree one hundred per cent, but it's better than most. And it shows another UDFA who had been mentioned elsewhere, but hadn't been formally announced by the Rams, S Dayan Ghanwoloku.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Nice depth chart.

I think you're underselling Malcolm Brown a bit. I'm hoping they're going to use a 3 headed monster in the backfield. Is it feasible Sea-bass moves outside behind Brockers? I also don't know much about Dortch and the UDFA from Syracuse sounds a lot like Jefferson. Here's what one of the draft pubs (DTP) had to say about Trishton Jackson:

Strengths: A former Michigan State transfer, Jackson played his final season of eligibility for Syracuse and greatly impressed with over 1000 yards and 11 touchdowns. Playing almost entirely as an outside receiver, Jackson shows the frame and length capabilities to continue to add additional size and bulk. Playing with flexible body control and good ball tracking abilities, Jackson shows upside as an outside receiver, showing some nice developmental traits to work with. Jackson is good at the top of his routes, showing sharpness to the way he runs routes and smoothness in his ability to separate in/out of his brakes, altering his route speeds. He utilizes his effective routes with a good understanding of utilizing his body to shield from defenders. Plays with a variety of different releases, showing variance and finishing ability. Impressive ability to snatch the ball away from his frame, utilizing his length to make outstretched catches.

Weaknesses: Jackson is a marginal athlete that lacks the home-run ability to be a ‘take it to the house guy’ at the next level. Despite his good routes, Jackson isn’t the quickest of guys and he allows defenders to quickly adjust and recover on individual routes. Jackson is built with a slighter frame, lacking ideal size and compactness. Is prone to the occasion focus drop. Rarely had to deal with press coverage and often times had defensive backs 10 yards away from the line of scrimmage when he played.

(from DTP's 2020 NFL Draft Guide: The Ultimate Football Draft Resource)

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/25/nfl-draft-rams-depth-chart-projection-2020/

The Los Angeles Rams came away with some impact players in the 2020 NFL Draft this weekend, fortifying the offense early on before adding some versatile defenders on the other side of the ball. The team still has a long way to go before the season begins, whenever that is, and the roster is beginning to get filled out.

With the new rookies now in the mix, we’ve put together a new projection for how the depth chart could look for the Rams. It includes the latest additions to the roster, except for the undrafted rookies, who have little chance of making the roster.

Here’s how the offense looks on paper, featuring new starters at running back and wide receiver with Darrell Henderson or Cam Akers, and Josh Reynolds or Van Jefferson at WR3.

(New starters are italicized and rookies are underlined).

Offense
QBJared GoffJohn Wolford
RBDarrell Henderson/Cam AkersMalcolm Brown
WRJosh ReynoldsVan Jefferson
WRRobert Woods
Slot WRCooper KuppNsimba WebsterGreg Dortch
TETyler HigbeeGerald EverettJohnny MundtBrycen HopkinsKendall BlantonEthan Wolf
LTAndrew WhitworthJoe Noteboom
LGAustin CorbettJoe NoteboomJeremiah Kolone
CAustin BlytheBrian AllenColeman SheltonNate Trewyn
RGDavid EdwardsAustin BlytheJamil DembyChandler BrewerTremayne Anchrum
RTRob HavensteinBobby Evans
The defense looks extremely different than it did last year with new starters all over the place. The linebacker unit is completely remade with four new starters across the board.

The secondary also has a lot of new faces, including rookie Terrell Burgess possibly starting at nickel corner.

Defense
DTAaron DonaldTanzel Smart
NTA’Shawn Robinson Sebastian Joseph-DayGreg Gaines
DEMichael BrockersMarquise Copeland
ROLBOgbonnia OkoronkwoSamson EbukamNatrez PatrickJachai Polite
ILBTravin HowardKenny YoungClay Johnston
ILBMicah KiserTroy Reeder
LOLBLeonard FloydTerrell LewisJustin LawlerJeff Holland
LCBJalen RamseyDarious Williams
RCBTroy HillAdonis Alexander
NCBDavid LongTerrell Burgess
FSJohn Johnson IIITerrell BurgessNick Scott
SSTaylor RappJordan FullerJake Gervase

Lots of talented young players on this roster. Guys who've been in our system at least a year, affordable contracts. This is how you build with young talented players.

I'm looking at our ILB group. I thought maybe Natrez Patrick moving back inside might make the group more stout. But then at outside LB, he could get into the rotation because we have some guys there with injury history. I saw this recent workout and he moves well, but he's a thicker guy who might sever well as an edge rusher long term.

View: https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_DrAutpscE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have a different take on the OL depth chart from Cameron DaSilva.

LT- Whitworth/ Evans/ Noteboom{PUP}
LG- Corbett/ Shelton/ Demby
OC- Blythe/ Allen/ Trewyn/ Cabral
RG- Edwards/ Anchrum/ Kolone
RT- Havenstein/ Brewer

Last edited:

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor

RT- Havenstein/ Brewer
With the possible exception of Cabral leap-frogging Trewyn, this is exactly how I see it as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah been having a good time going through the roster. I do think we're a better team question is how much better.

Wideout: 7/10. Improved over last season if you look at the unit 3 deep. In this offense if teams put their CB1 on Woody and double Kupp (who is the primary threat) Jefferson provides what should be a very good matchup vs whatever unfortunate DB is left over. Since both run very good routes in fact the Rams have basically exchanged Cooks lack of size/concussions/small catch radius with a bigger and rangier rookie who has better hands. He will be our WR3 by midseason and if he's an impact addition (quick start) we could see an 8/10 unit. Also I really enjoyed seeing Web's development last season and he'll be fun to watch in year 2.

TE: 7/10. Improved. I don't know if Hopkins can make this roster but right now on paper the group looks strong. Compared to this time last offseason it's night and day thanks to Higs finally putting it all together. And we have Everett who is capable of exploding with his talent at TE2. Mundt as a TE3 who developed very nicely last season too and can even do some backfield work on top of good inline blocking. I'm guessing Hopkins makes the cut as TE4 as teams are very grabby with these guys and his athleticism makes him attractive. Oh and btw I am of the mind that our TE coach (Wes Phillips) is criminally underrated, as our TE group's collective move forward in excellence coincided nicely with his addition to the team. Coincidence? I think not. Like his dad, he's a gifted teacher.

QB: 7/10. Same. Once again the key for the Rams is to try to find a damn dev QB they can call their backup and maybe flip in the future for some draft value. Use that McVay pipeline at QB basically. But I have lost zero faith in Goff and the reason why is even in a down season we had the 10th scoring offense in spite of a run game that ranked bottom 5. And the WR group was basically Woody & Kupp. And let's not forget the OL and constant pressures and lack of pocket to step up into. There aren't a lot of QBs who would have done better in those circumstances. Protect Goff well and he's a top 5 guy in terms of production in this offense.

RB: 7/10. Improved. Gurley wasn't going to get any better, there was something up behind the scenes too IMO, had to be done. Akers will be RB1 there is zero doubt on that, and like with Goff requires the OL to play well. But just in terms of talent/fit we're good now two deep with scheme fits who can take a carry to the house. Hendy will be a fine RB2 who can do a little of everything. RB3 is probably Brown but IMO those last couple spots are going to be up for open for competition because he has had issues being available. If the OL plays well this group could end up being very good though.

OL: 5/10. Same. We only have one plus starter and that is Whit who turns 39 this year. Our Center is a castoff who struggled at OG and was only signed to a one year deal. Good thing is we have two second year guys coming online and some other young guns who might be as good as Kromer seems to think they are. I have my fingers crossed, but I'm not fooled nearly as easy the second time around.

DL: 7/10. Improved. Robinson improves our depth a great deal which matters in the redzone, goal line, short yardage, rotating vs a top run game like that of SF, etc. He's a load. But we also got Brock back who had a bounceback season in 2019. His film was quite good IMO. As was SJD. In fact SJD's rise corresponded to a run defense unit that saw a very big and positive jump last season. I don't think Robinson beats him out btw. SJD holds up very well to doubles, has good stamina, and keeps his feet on the move which is not easy at the nose. But overall the depth of this unit is better.

OLB: 5/10. Worse. I'd have to be a homer to count on Lewis to give us better production or even the same as Fowler. The good thing here is we didn't risk a big contract on Fowler but the group as a whole is longer on potential than anything else. Worst case we see Lewis redshirted due to injury which means we're depending on Okorongkwo to take the blind side spot (this is his moment, his window as it were). That scares me. Ebukam was raw and is developing but looks like a left side only type and I don't think he's gonna be any better dropping into coverage which will happen more now. Floyd is also a left side type and will handle Matthews' role. It's an ugly unit with upside tied to an oft-injured duo in Okowrongkwo & Lewis who are our blindside hope basically. Unlike ILB however we do have actual plus talent in Oko & Lewis so there's a chance they step up. Lastly gonna talk up our OLB coach here. I think Shula is on the rise and if those two players show well he's gonna be taking DC interviews during the playoffs.

ILB: 5/10. Same. Littleton left in FA because he couldn't fill vs the run to save his life. That is actually addition by subtraction irt our new scheme but the guys on this roster are low talent level types (meaning big holes in their game). Reeder & Kiser are both good run fillers only. Howard is more of a Littleton type. The late round rookie Johnston is a run filler too, which is going to be the role for this unit before they're subbed out for safeties on 3rd down and passing situations. It's ugly but you can't fix everything and the ILBs who can do both don't last long in the draft so try again next year. And it's also why the Rams went after safeties this year knowing they're gonna be subbing their asses off.

Safety: 8/10. Improved. I think this is the best unit on the team from a talent perspective right now. The defensive backfield will be the backbone of our defense in 2020, from the guys in base to the subs that will be carefully tailored for each opponent by our new DC. Johnson is in a contract season and he's probably gone in FA so I'm sure he will have his finest year thus far coming back off injury. So as S1 he's probably a top third assuming he's healthy, which is some rarefied air and warranted IMO given his ability to do a little of everything. But then you have S2 Rapp coming off a fine rookie year where he showed well across the board (primary run support to man coverage at times), and is a smart and dedicated player who will translate well to the new DC. Deayon was S3 and I like him a ton but he's got some serious competition brewing now with Burgess (likely will begin by competing in the slot but might push for a higher job) and Fuller. I mean damn. This is a well stocked unit.

CB: 7/10. Worse (NRC departure). Going to say right now that I do agree with the sentiment that teams often pay for who a guy used to be at corner. Ramsey is still the same guy physically for the most part, but mentally that's the worry. Either way I have to assume that his competitiveness will prevent his play from dropping too far when he gets paid. And this season he should be lights out because it's a contract year. So CB1 is as good as it gets. CB2 is where my concern comes in, however in spite of my lack of faith in Hill I will admit he balled the fuck out last season. If he struggles under Staley and the new scheme we have Long waiting in the wings as CB3. So it's an above average group in spite of my concerns. IF the slot is taken by the S Burgess it will actually help this unit out btw, making Long vs Hill and our overall depth to CB3 better.

Teams: 6/10. Worse. Going from GZ to a "rookie vs 2 XFL kickers" is a drop plain and simple. But there has also been a dip in teams overall through 2019 tbh, and I relate it to McVay's approach with the bottom of the roster. With Fish teams always had priority in those last spots. Now we see more of a give and take where upside factors in at a primary position. Not saying McVay is wrong here. But I do think a focus on special teams is needed this offseason in the roster stacking and hopefully the new ST coach won't have to flip tables and shit in the staff meeting when the last cuts are made.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agamemnon is a knowledgeable writer. I respect the hell out of him
It's a nice depth chart, I certainly appreciate the effort required in that even if I do think he's got Johnston in the wrong spot. :biggrin:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

RT- Havenstein/ Brewer
Edwards is the guy I'm most intrigued by in that group. I think he's got the best chance to be our "plus" lineman outside of maybe Whit who should be a plus guy as long as he can stay healthy. IMO the Rams hit it out of the park with him and looking at where they took him it demonstrates what a crap shoot the draft is because restack that draft and there's no way in hell he lasts so long.

Want to see a great example of why I'm such a huge fan of his Vernon? Good cause I'm gonna show you a still of his FIRST play of his FIRST start which was against not only the Falcons but specifically against Grady Jarrett who's a real MFer on the inside. Going into that game the Falcons were probably rofling at the game film of Boom getting ragdolled and I am sure Jarrett was lickin his oversized chops. But then on the aforementioned first snap this rookie OL shows the veteran it ain't gonna go down like that...

Pre-snap Jarrett's sizing him up thinkin "this is a big boy"
1587931878690.png

At the snap it's confirmed
1587932085698.png

As Gurley approaches the LOS Jarett is finding out those long grabbers aren't easy to get around
1587932231754.png

Gurley's tackled and Jarret's like "Ok bro I'm feelin you now ease up fuckin play is over!"
1587932331391.png

Everyone else is done but guess who's playin through the whistle...
1587932439354.png

And "Big E" keeps going lmao. Until finally Jarret flips him onto the turf
1587932554281.png

1587932683450.png

That, my friend, is how you let a MFer know he's got a full sixty coming. :horns: :LOL::horns:

MachS

Hall of Fame
Edwards is the guy I'm most intrigued by in that group. I think he's got the best chance to be our "plus" lineman outside of maybe Whit who should be a plus guy as long as he can stay healthy. IMO the Rams hit it out of the park with him and looking at where they took him it demonstrates what a crap shoot the draft is because restack that draft and there's no way in hell he lasts so long.

Want to see a great example of why I'm such a huge fan of his Vernon? Good cause I'm gonna show you a still of his FIRST play of his FIRST start which was against not only the Falcons but specifically against Grady Jarrett who's a real MFer on the inside. Going into that game the Falcons were probably rofling at the game film of Boom getting ragdolled and I am sure Jarrett was lickin his oversized chops. But then on the aforementioned first snap this rookie OL shows the veteran it ain't gonna go down like that...

Pre-snap Jarrett's sizing him up thinkin "this is a big boy"
View attachment 35940

At the snap it's confirmed
View attachment 35941

As Gurley approaches the LOS Jarett is finding out those long grabbers aren't easy to get around
View attachment 35943

Gurley's tackled and Jarret's like "Ok bro I'm feelin you now ease up fuckin play is over!"
View attachment 35944

Everyone else is done but guess who's playin through the whistle...
View attachment 35945

And "Big E" keeps going lmao. Until finally Jarret flips him onto the turf
View attachment 35946
View attachment 35948

That, my friend, is how you let a MFer know he's got a full sixty coming. :horns: :LOL::horns:

Nice post, I think he was a steal and very impressive as a rookie last year. IF Havenstein can return to form this year, I think our line comes down to Corbett and Blythe. We know what we have in Blythe and he will get beat a fair share of the time, but who knows what we have in Corbett. People around here seemed to like his play, but I thought it was very average. Maybe we get luckier with health this year? Late last year we had this same line pretty much (evans over hav at RT) and by all accounts they were playing "better," but we were still rolling Goff out over 50% of pass plays and the running game was still dead. I think I would have much more confidence heading into this year if late last year Goff was able to sit in the pocket on a 5 and 7 step drop without max protection. Or wish Henderson got rolling the last few games. We had literally no deep shots last year because Goff couldn't sit in the pocket long enough. Do we have enough to get back to 2017 or 2018 level performance? It's going to be tough

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was outstanding bro. LOL Edwards was jacked up on his 1st play... Good to see he wasn't playing scared.
Edwards was hidden gem no doubt.
But for me I love Evans. I hope Hav can rebound nicely and wins the RT spot allowing Evans to be a plus LG and help ease Whitworth work load knowing he's got a good player next to him