Rams place franchise tag on Trumaine Johnson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I half expected his head to fall off.

mertonhanks.gif

Hahaha!! That's awesome!

To his credit; a classic!

markstewart67

Rookie
I'm conflicted by this news.

Johnson is very good, but he's generally dinged up more.

I think this is a sign the Rams don't trust getting a deal done with Jenkins. I think we all suspected Jenkins would be a money-first player.
I wonder if they want to go taller at cb. I thought I heard that last year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I too am conflicted by this. I'm happy that Trujo will be retained but I really wish they had been able to work out a long term deal with him without having to tag him. This tells me he was not interested in whatever they offered (anyone got a line on that?) And that they had no choice but to tag him or chance losing him to FA. That also means they will be paying him a hefty price if they are now able to work out a longer term contract, probably more than he is worth, I don't believe he has earned a $14M/year contract.

Jenkins is just a hot mess. Going to social media to bitch about his offer, firing his agent, yada yada yada. If they somehow work out a deal with his new agent he will be disgruntled I don't want that kind of cancer in the locker room.

There is other talent on this team and they will be a very good secondary. The defense is changing and I hope they are able to take a step forward not backward with this unit in 2016.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think maybe JJ's social media antics are wearing thin on the FO. Jenkz is not showing much maturity during this whole thing and none of us know HIS numbers. Could be JJ thinks he should be the highest paid or at least in the top 5 CB money ..... dude is NOT that good

I bet he is asking top 5 for sure

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I too am conflicted by this. I'm happy that Trujo will be retained but I really wish they had been able to work out a long term deal with him without having to tag him. This tells me he was not interested in whatever they offered (anyone got a line on that?) And that they had no choice but to tag him or chance losing him to FA. That also means they will be paying him a hefty price if they are now able to work out a longer term contract, probably more than he is worth, I don't believe he has earned a $14M/year contract.

Jenkins is just a hot mess. Going to social media to bitch about his offer, firing his agent, yada yada yada. If they somehow work out a deal with his new agent he will be disgruntled I don't want that kind of cancer in the locker room.

There is other talent on this team and they will be a very good secondary. The defense is changing and I hope they are able to take a step forward not backward with this unit in 2016.

On the contrary i think it means they were close but not close enough. Tag him and sign him long term in the next couple of months.

On the other hand they were probably nowhere near what Jenkins wanted and thought it was no use tagging him.

That's how i see it anyway.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
On the contrary i think it means they were close but not close enough. Tag him and sign him long term in the next couple of months.

On the other hand they were probably nowhere near what Jenkins wanted and thought it was no use tagging him.

That's how i see it anyway.

Could be but do you think they would offer JJ $9M per for 5 and then think TruJo is worth more than that?

RamBill

Legend
Rams make logical move in tagging Trumaine Johnson
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...made-logical-move-in-tagging-trumaine-johnson

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- After drafting, developing and watching their two starting cornerbacks grow into productive NFL players, the Los Angeles Rams couldn't afford to lose both of them.

That is why they took the only step possible that would just about guarantee that they retain at least one of them this offseason when they used the non-exclusive franchise tag on cornerback Trumaine Johnson. Before Tuesday, there was plenty of debate as to whether the Rams should use the tag on Johnson or fellow cornerback Janoris Jenkins.

Really, though, it didn't matter much which one ultimately became the first Ram to receive the designation since 2009. All that mattered was that one of them did.

Staring what could be the most lucrative free-agent market in NFL history in the face with teams flush with salary-cap space and some even required to spend it, the Rams knew that if they let Johnson and Jenkins see what's out there, the contract numbers could soar into an uncomfortable stratosphere that would ultimately make a group filled with solid depth into a position of need.

So the Rams did the logical thing: they tagged one of the two players who would command the most money on the open market. Of course, other teams could still come at Johnson with huge offers and poison pills intended to prevent the Rams from matching an offer sheet, but it's unlikely that any of them would be willing to forfeit two first-round picks plus all that money for Johnson's services.

COMINGS AND GOINGS

ESPN.com is your headquarters for NFL trades and free-agency moves this offseason.

That means there's a strong chance that Johnson will be with the Rams for at least the 2016 season. The fact that the Rams can continue negotiating with Johnson until July 15 and his excitement for playing in his home state of California means there's a good chance they'll be able to lock him up beyond next season as well.

Even with Johnson essentially tied up for 2016, the Rams would still like to keep Jenkins as well as other key free agent defenders such as ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims and safeties Rodney McLeod and Mark Barron.

With more than $58 million in salary cap space, it's not out of the question that the Rams could pull it off, though they must still find a way to improve their lagging offense. That should provide even more incentive to sign Johnson long-term and keep his cap number below the $13,952,000 that would come with the one-year franchise tag tender.

For Johnson, it's been quite a journey to becoming the team's franchise player. In the month leading up to his breakout 2015 season, during which he made seven interceptions, Johnson looked like he'd be on the wrong side of a competition with E.J. Gaines for the starting spot opposite Jenkins. After a foot injury to Gaines, Johnson became the starter. A few months later, he's the first Ram to get the franchise tag since Oshiomogho Atogwe in 2009.

Before 2015, Johnson's first three seasons had been filled with stops and starts, including a knee injury that cost him seven games in 2014. But his combination of size (6-foot-2, 208 pounds), youth (he's 26) and production (his 15 interceptions are the most by anyone in the 2012 draft class) have turned him into one of the most important members of the Rams' hard-hitting defense.

That the Rams finally used the franchise tag again also is a sign of progress. It means they're finally at a point in which they're drafting and developing players who are good enough that other teams would chase them on the free-agent market. It also doesn't preclude them from keeping both of their prized cornerbacks.

“I love them, and they’ve done a great job," defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said at the end of the season. "I would love to be able to coach them for as long as I can. I’d love to be able to coach them their whole career, but that’s the nature of our business. We understand that. When free agency came in, I was in this league for a long time and there was no free agency. When that started, it’s like college. You graduate guys and you’ve got to have guys behind them getting ready to roll, but those guys have been really, really fun to coach. They’ve done well, and I think you guys have seen them improve every single year of their careers. So, I’d love to be able to coach them for the rest of their career. Hopefully, we’ll see.”

Tuesday's move might not have guaranteed Williams the chance to do that, but it was a step in the right direction. In more ways than one.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could be but do you think they would offer JJ $9M per for 5 and then think TruJo is worth more than that?

Maybe tru's demands are less than jj. He may be happy in the $10m to $11m per year range while Jenkins may be aiming at $12m to $14m per year. We won't know until both sign contacts.

Ram65

Legend
Rams make the smart move here. Tru will be a Ram for a long time and I think both sides will get a good deal. I have some concerns with injuries but I hope/think he plays smart and a less recklessness with his body. JJ will test the market and most likely go to the highest bidder. Rams still have an outside chance but he probably will be over valued.

Take that JJ money and sign Mario Williams. A great pass rush will help the secondary.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
As long as Gaines comes back healthy, the best overall pairing for us will be Tru and Gaines, anyway. Time for Joyner to man the slot permanently. We've got Roberson as the next man up.

The whole situation could be worse.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams make the smart move here. Tru will be a Ram for a long time and I think both sides will get a good deal. I have some concerns with injuries but I hope/think he plays smart and a less recklessness with his body. JJ will test the market and most likely go to the highest bidder. Rams still have an outside chance but he probably will be over valued.

Take that JJ money and sign Mario Williams. A great pass rush will help the secondary.

Heck with that. The Rams are good at developing the secondary, but suck at developing receivers. Spend the savings on either a QB, or towards a WR or TE or both. A decent #2, or a good TE, would go a long ways towards opening up the offense - especially with Tavon just needing a little space, and if the other team can't stack the box Gurley could have an amazing season.

Ram65

Legend
Heck with that. The Rams are good at developing the secondary, but suck at developing receivers. Spend the savings on either a QB, or towards a WR or TE or both. A decent #2, or a good TE, would go a long ways towards opening up the offense - especially with Tavon just needing a little space, and if the other team can't stack the box Gurley could have an amazing season.

What QB can they buy?

Yes on WR and even TE.

I still think they need the pass rush and to control the line of scrimmage on defense. No Chris Long while his replacement Hayes isn't an every down player. Williams, Donald Quinn, Brockers and Hayes/Sims could be unstoppable. Williams can move around the line giving them some nice rotations and combinations.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is the right choice. Johnson is a better corner than Jenkins when he is healthy, he has vastly underrated ball skills, he has that sought after height, and more of a head on his shoulders in terms of how to conduct himself.
Add in the fact that he is 6' 2" and I think he would have gotten a big, big offer in FA.

nighttrain

Legend
As long as Gaines comes back healthy, the best overall pairing for us will be Tru and Gaines, anyway. Time for Joyner to man the slot permanently. We've got Roberson as the next man up.

The whole situation could be worse.
oh Lord, and we definitively have seen worse
train

RamBill

Legend
EVALUATING ALL 10 FRANCHISE TAG DECISIONS

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/02/pro-evaluating-all-10-franchise-tag-decisions/

Sam Monson examines each tag used by teams before the deadline, identifying which moves were smart, and which were questionable.

The first domino of free agency toppled yesterday, with franchise tags being slapped on 10 players across the NFL, better setting the marketplace for the free-for-all madness that will begin next week.

The franchise tag today is really only used for two reasons: to buy more time for a long-term deal to get done, or because you don’t have enough confidence in the player to hand him those big-time guaranteed dollars just yet, but he has shown enough that you’re willing to give him another year to earn them.

Here we break down those moves into two categories: smart and questionable.

Smart moves

Kirk Cousins, QB, Redskins ($19.953 million)

This is the classic case of the latter scenario outlined above. Washington saw some very good play from Cousins last season, but not enough of it to be confident in handing him $100 million or $50 million guaranteed, which is the ballpark contract a young, franchise quarterback is dealing in. Instead, they get to see him try to earn that deal in 2016, paying him the same kind of big-money ($19.95 million), but only being tied to him for the 2016 season.

Alshon Jeffery, WR, Bears ($14.599 million)

Tagging Alshon Jeffery made too much sense not to happen, which is why it was so strange that we weren’t sure for so long. If Kevin White works out, the Bears will have two top weapons, something they haven’t been able to claim since Jeffery and Marshall were at their best. If White doesn’t pan out, they will need to keep Jeffery in-house as their only real receiving weapon. Even at this price, there will still be four higher-paid receivers in 2016 (three if Calvin Johnson officially walks away).

Von Miller, OLB, Broncos (~$14.129m, exclusive tag, not set until all of next year’s salaries are complete)

Von Miller wasn’t just franchise tagged, but became the first non-QB since Richard Seymour in 2010 to receive the exclusive tag, meaning only Denver can negotiate with him. The Broncos just saw how truly devastating Miller can be at his best, and he’s trying to parlay that into a monstrous contract. This is a deal both parties want to make, but hammering out the details is going to take some significant time. A three-game playoff run from Miller that featured six sacks, one hit, 16 hurries, a pass breakup, an interception, and two forced fumbles will be at the forefront of negotiations.

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Rams ($13.952 million)

The Rams had a decision to make between Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, and while they reportedly were offering Jenkins the long-term deal first, he rejected it, believing himself to be the type of shutdown player that 22 touchdowns surrendered over the past four seasons belies. Johnson, on the other hand, has allowed just six over the same timespan, and only one in each of his past two seasons. Last season, he looked like one of the better corners in the league for much of the year, so the Rams can now try to lock him down long-term and allow Jenkins to seek the riches he believes he’s worth elsewhere.

Josh Norman, CB, Panthers ($13.952 million)

Norman is another in the category of no-brainer when it comes to buying more time for a long-term deal. He emerged as a shutdown corner last season, and for a good portion of the year, was yielding a worse passer rating when targeted than if the QB had just thrown the ball into the turf every play. He ended the season leading the league in passer rating allowed, and there is no way Carolina could allow him to hit the open market.

Cordy Glenn, LT, Bills ($13.706 million)

The Bills are left with an interesting decision with Cordy Glenn. He may never be one of the best offensive tackles in the NFL, but he is a good player at a position where they are in shortage league-wide. A good O-line is often not about how good your best players, are but about how bad the worst are. The Bills couldn’t take the chance that the player to replace Glenn at left tackle would be a problem big enough to stunt the development of Tyrod Taylor. Glenn surrendered just two sacks last season, three less than Dallas’ Tyron Smith.

Olivier Vernon, DE, Dolphins ($12.734 million, transition tag)

Vernon was the only player to have the transition tag applied to him, which means the Dolphins will pay him less this season, but also if they fail to match any offer he attracts from another team, they will receive nothing by way of compensation in return. This is likely born of their cap situation, but also may effectively do their negotiating for them. If Vernon’s price goes too high, they can walk away and focus elsewhere. For a player whose elite play really only spans eight games, that may be smart.

Questionable moves

Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Jets ($15.701 million)

It’s beginning to feel like the Jets don’t quite know what to do with their D-linemen, having amassed so many of them. Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams gave the team some cover to move on from Wilkerson, but instead, they have chosen to hang on to him this season and risk losing NT Damon Harrison, the only player without viable cover, to the open market. Wilkerson is a fine player that gives them some impressive versatility up front, but this feels like indecision rather than calculated hedging.

Eric Berry, S, Chiefs ($10.806 million)

Eric Berry’s comeback story a year ago was one of fairytales. To even return to the NFL after his Hodgkin’s lymphoma diagnosis was remarkable, but to come back and play maybe the best football of his career practically defies belief. The issue for the Chiefs, however, is that I’m not sure Berry is really a game-changing player, or worth the $10.81 million they just committed to him for the 2016 season. That figure means he is scheduled to earn $4.7 million more than Kam Chancellor. Berry is a good player, but that is game-changing money I’m not convinced he justifies.

Justin Tucker, K, Ravens ($4.572 million)

How hard can it really be to negotiate a long-term contract with a kicker? Justin Tucker is arguably the best in the league, having topped PFF’s grades in each of the last two seasons, thanks to being proficient at both place-kicks and kickoffs. Last season, his average kick sailed 7 yards into the end zone, and he missed just one spot kick from under 50 yards. Retaining him for the Ravens was obviously important, but this feels like business that could have been done without using the franchise tag.