Rams place franchise tag on Trumaine Johnson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
With one franchise tag to wield, the Los Angeles Rams had a choice between corners Trumaine Johnson and Janoris Jenkins. The team chose Johnson.

In recent days the Rams leaned towards ensuring Johnson didn't hit the open market, where he might have commanded a huge long-term extension. The 6-foot-2 corner finished with 58 tackles and seven interceptions in 2015. He was part of a high-flying, hard-hitting Rams secondary.

Johnson was ranked No. 22 on Around The NFL's top 99 free agents list.

The move will allow Jenkins -- who we had ranked No. 16 -- to reach free agency. The playmaking corner, who blanketed one side of the field, will be easily the top corner to hit the open market, with the Panthers also tagging Josh Norman. Jenkins, 27, recently fired his agent. It has been reported Jenkins wants to be paid top dollar and it's possible the Rams viewed Johnson as an easier candidate to lock down for the long haul.

As for Johnson's non-exclusive tag, teams can still negotiate with the cornerback when the league year opens on March 9 and potentially sign him to a tender. The Rams would have the right to match the offer or would receive two first-round picks from the team that signs the corner. No offense to Johnson, but no team is parting two first-round picks for a cornerback. He'll be in Los Angeles in 2016.

Johnson just turned 26 in January and has displayed vast improvement in the past few seasons. It's clear the team sees him as a building block for the future. The sides have until July 15 to hammer out a long-term contract.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported the Rams will place the non-exclusive franchise tag on Johnson, worth $13.952 million. The Rams later made the move official.

Explaining the tag

» The exclusive franchise tag is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player's team has all negotiating rights to the player.

» The non-exclusive franchise tag is a one-year tender offer determined through a more complicated process. First, the average of the top-five salaries at the position over the last five years is calculated. Next, the percentage against the cap for each of those five seasons is averaged out and applied toward the current season cap to determine the offer amount. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round picks as compensation.

» The transition tag is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount that is the average of the top 10 salaries at the position and is calculated using the same formula as the non-exclusive franchise tag number. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player may receive from another team. The transition tag can only be used if the franchise tag is not used by a team in that year. Transition tags can be rescinded, but teams that rescind a transition tag cannot use it again until next season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640528/article/rams-place-franchise-tag-on-trumaine-johnson

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Some team will throw a boatload of money at Jenks and he'll take it obviously. So let's hope Gaines is healthy and regains form prior to his injury. About the only good thing that will come out of losing Jenks is a good comp pick next year.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
So is it a lock that Jenkins is gone? The Rams have cap space and said they will open the wallet to keep the secondary together. Is there no way to satisfy Jenkins?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
FARGIN ICEHOLES

that means i have to change my freakin' avatar.......

Anyway i guess they are staying "tru" to their vision
Bye Bye Jenkins - it was nice knowing you

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 5.26.37 PM.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm conflicted by this news.

Johnson is very good, but he's generally dinged up more.

I think this is a sign the Rams don't trust getting a deal done with Jenkins. I think we all suspected Jenkins would be a money-first player.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This is the right choice. Johnson is a better corner than Jenkins when he is healthy, he has vastly underrated ball skills, he has that sought after height, and more of a head on his shoulders in terms of how to conduct himself.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I am a little surprised. Thought Jenkins would get the tag. My thinking it would of been an easier negotiating with Johnson and locking up JJ for at least one more year and he would be motivated to play at a high level.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I am a little surprised. Thought Jenkins would get the tag. My thinking it would of been an easier negotiating with Johnson and locking up JJ for at least one more year and he would be motivated to play at a high level.
I think maybe JJ's social media antics are wearing thin on the FO. Jenkz is not showing much maturity during this whole thing and none of us know HIS numbers. Could be JJ thinks he should be the highest paid or at least in the top 5 CB money ..... dude is NOT that good

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hahahahahaha

That neck is longer than that freaking cornerback on the niners years ago... and his neck was like the longest ever. I think his name was Hanks. freaking giraffe neck dude.

Merton Hanks?