Rams Pick #249 DE Michael Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I hope it all turns out to be a good thing and that Sam makes the team but I'm leery of the media circus.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Michael Sam is “ready to work” for the Rams
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 10, 2014

862a3a489813a16464be8f110a21976f.jpeg
AP

Missouri defensive end Michael Sam is as grateful as you’ve ever heard a seventh-round pick.

And he’s ready to pay the Rams back for their willingness to take him.

During his conference call with St. Louis reporters, Sam said he wants to prove himself worthy of his NFL selection, and bring some of the same kind of production he showed in college.

“I knew I was gonna get picked somewhere, and every team that passed me I was thinking I’m gonna sack their QB,” Sam said, via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Sam said he was “ready to [bleeping] show the world that he is ready to work,” and apparently that begins with the Rams opener against the Vikings.

“Let me tell you something,” Sam said. “If we were playing the Vikings right now, I’d probably have three sacks.”

If he does that, he’ll prove well worth the gamble for the Rams, and add to already fierce pass-rush.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I hope it all turns out to be a good thing and that Sam makes the team but I'm leery of the media circus.
That is what worries me about taking Sam. And if he doesn't make the team, the bullshit we will have to put up with be ridiculous. We will probably have to put him on the practice squad if he can' t make the 53 just to squash negative attention. So here's to the kid tearing it up and getting many sacks against our opponents!!!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sadly, I'm seeing quite a few posts on the internet saying they're done with the Rams and how disgusting the organization is. I don't get how some people are so stupid and hypocritical (they said they were Christian).
I'm seeing quite the opposite. The Rams gained a fan base today with this pick. I'm talking about casual NFL fans and even fans of other teams. They're all Left-wingers.
I think it's great.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm seeing quite the opposite. The Rams gained a fan base today with this pick. I'm talking about casual NFL fans and even fans of other teams. They're all Left-wingers.
I think it's great.

I know it's a minority, but it's still sad that I'm seeing as many as I am. And you know there are more people that feel the same way but just don't want to say anything. Very happy for the kid, the Rams, Mizzou, and the NFL.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sadly, I'm seeing quite a few posts on the internet saying they're done with the Rams and how disgusting the organization is. I don't get how some people are so stupid and hypocritical (they said they were Christian).
Future SeaHawk fans, it's all good... we'll be coming to disappointment them again :)

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Michael Sam is “ready to work” for the Rams
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 10, 2014

862a3a489813a16464be8f110a21976f.jpeg
AP

Missouri defensive end Michael Sam is as grateful as you’ve ever heard a seventh-round pick.

And he’s ready to pay the Rams back for their willingness to take him.

During his conference call with St. Louis reporters, Sam said he wants to prove himself worthy of his NFL selection, and bring some of the same kind of production he showed in college.

“I knew I was gonna get picked somewhere, and every team that passed me I was thinking I’m gonna sack their QB,” Sam said, via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Sam said he was “ready to [bleeping] show the world that he is ready to work,” and apparently that begins with the Rams opener against the Vikings.

“Let me tell you something,” Sam said. “If we were playing the Vikings right now, I’d probably have three sacks.”

If he does that, he’ll prove well worth the gamble for the Rams, and add to already fierce pass-rush.
Time to deliver Mr. Sam

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like this pick for many reason(if he makes the team, which I hope he does):

-Sam is a great football player, he will be great depth with the potential to rotate in sometimes in the future. He won't be asked to come in and start right away, will have a great D-line coach to help his transition to the NFl, will get to learn from the top D-line in the NFL.

-As we already have seen, there are many articles about Sam hitting the internet. What is it that they say? Any publicity is good publicity.

-Sam brings a new fan base to the Rams, the Gay community. As the first openly gay player I think it will bring a lot of new fans to the Rams side. This will increase revenue.

-Now this one is a stretch, but just think about it for a moment. California and Seattle rank near the top in terms of % of gay people compared to most states. With Sam being a Ram, many will route for the Rams and his success. They will learn that the 49ers and Seahawks are in our division and rivals and will wear Ram gear and talk trash to them! Well maybe. Its a nice thought to have an expanded fan base. The Rams aren't one of the top ranked teams in terms of fans, but this could help.

I like this pick a lot and really am routing for this guy. Has a lot of passion for the game and is a very good player.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
As a Christian, I'll just say this: If one feels that their faith compels them to hate people and the Rams organization for hiring those people because of what they do off the field, they should have stopped supporting the team and the NFL as a whole long before now.

Jesus didn't hate anyone as a person. And I have no problem with Sam so long as he does everything he can to mitigate his inherent distraction level and plays good football.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Michael Sam will be just another player among many off the field before you know it.

I hope he kicks ass on the field. He says he's going to sack every QB on every team that passed on him! That's ALL of the teams but the Rams.

Good for him, good for the Rams and Snisher, and good for the NFL. It's time to leave the BS behind.

safak

Game-Wrecker
Name
safak
Congrats to Sam and even bigger congrats to the Rams for having the balls to draft him when no one else would.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

I see no relevance to adding this to the discussion about his selection and posting "they said they were Christian" is no better than anyone saying he has no business in the NFL/ It is obviously a polarizing subject and fans posting this kind of nonsense is only done to increase the friction that is already going to be there. You did not post any thing backing this statement so you are dropping yourself to their level.

I hope he does not get any special treatment and that if he earns a roster spot that he contributes and wish that his sexual orientation was truly a non issue.

V3

Hall of Fame
I see no relevance to adding this to the discussion about his selection and posting "they said they were Christian" is no better than anyone saying he has no business in the NFL/ It is obviously a polarizing subject and fans posting this kind of nonsense is only done to increase the friction that is already going to be there. You did not post any thing backing this statement so you are dropping yourself to their level.

I hope he does not get any special treatment and that if he earns a roster spot that he contributes and wish that his sexual orientation was truly a non issue.

Maybe I didn't give enough detail of his post? I thought the "disgusting" would convey that but I guess I was wrong. He started off by saying he's a Christian and then went off on a hate filled tirade about gays. To be Christian is to care and respect one another. It's VERY relevant. Anyone that says they're a Christian and then does the exact opposite of what he taught his disciples is a HYPOCRITE.

Also, it's very relevant to the selection of Sam. Fans are leaving the team simply because he's gay. It's similar to when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball. It's historical. People talked about the horrible treatment Robinson received. Why would it be any different in this case?

Last edited:

husky2014

UDFA
Name
Devon
I'm a lurker and NEVER post because, frankly, i'm not a big Rams fan (live in Seattle and a Seahawks fan - DUCK!!!). Just have some St. Louis roots (dad's family from North St. Louis and he played b-ball at Washington University in St. Louis a loooooong time ago).

Just proud of the city quite honestly, the ownership, the Rams, and the coaching staff.

Don't let the haters gets you down. History is the ultimate judge, and history will be VERY kind to the City of St. Louis and the Rams, just like history recognizes the greatness of Branch Rickey, Don Haskins, the Dodgers, Texas Western College, etc. They all got hate mail and such when they made their "controversial" decisions, but now they are universally recognized as being ahead of their time, and are discussed now in reverent tones.

You are some lucky fans and have a lot to be proud of, regardless of what you thinking about the issue at hand *claps*

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Maybe I didn't give enough detail of his post? I thought the "disgusting" would convey that but I guess I was wrong. He started off by saying he's a Christian and then went off on a hate filled tirade about gays. To be Christian is to care and respect one another. It's VERY relevant. Anyone that says they're a Christian and then does the exact opposite of what he taught his disciples is a HYPOCRITE.

Also, it's very relevant to the selection of Sam. Fans are leaving the team simply because he's gay.

My point is that we really don't need to bring that trash in here.

V3

Hall of Fame
My point is that we really don't need to bring that trash in here.

I didn't quote them or say who they were. I didn't bring anything in here. I just pointed out some of the reactions I was seeing from people.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Obviously I don't see it on here, but reading some of the social media comments, people are fuckin stupid.

For all the second chances guys like Titus Young, Kenny Britt, Janoris Jenkins, Leonard Little, etc get; hoping they learned their lessons, it was just stupid mistakes, etc etc. and suddenly there's this "controversy" about a guy's lifestyle. Does anyone find that disturbing at all? Yes, disturbing.

PhxRam

I'm a lurker and NEVER post because, frankly, i'm not a big Rams fan (live in Seattle and a Seahawks fan - DUCK!!!). Just have some St. Louis roots (dad's family from North St. Louis and he played b-ball at Washington University in St. Louis a loooooong time ago).

Just proud of the city quite honestly, the ownership, the Rams, and the coaching staff.

Don't let the haters gets you down. History is the ultimate judge, and history will be VERY kind to the City of St. Louis and the Rams, just like history recognizes the greatness of Branch Rickey, Don Haskins, the Dodgers, Texas Western College, etc. They all got hate mail and such when they made their "controversial" decisions, but now they are universally recognized as being ahead of their time, and are discussed now in reverent tones.

You are some lucky fans and have a lot to be proud of, regardless of what you thinking about the issue at hand *claps*

Glad to have you aboard brother.

How do you rank the Seahawks draft?

Do you think the divide talent wise between the Rams and Seattle is as big as some think it is?

husky2014

UDFA
Name
Devon
Glad to have you aboard brother.

How do you rank the Seahawks draft?

Do you think the divide talent wise between the Rams and Seattle is as big as some think it is?

I haven't had a chance to digest our draft yet, but on a quick glance, I give it a B. I think Paul Allen has some dirt on the Vikings organization, because they are like our minor league team as we just take their players and draft picks and win lol. Loved our trade out of the first so they could get a QB. I love Schneider, our GM, but honestly, he got lucky with R. Wilson. He brought in some SCRUBs (Whitehurst, Flynn, Jackson, etc.), but took a flyer on Wilson and won the lottery. I think reasonable Hawks fans know that.

As for the Rams, you guys always scare us. The Rams and Cardinals are both very good teams, but they just have the bad luck of being in the division when the 49ers and Hawks are peaking. You'd win other divisions in the NFL, that's for sure. At a high level, I think Fisher is a good coach (but he let things get out of hand with the V. Young fiasco in Tenn), but I'm just not so sure about Bradford.

I will say the Rams scare us. If you get on a hot streak and Bradford can stay healthy, you could surprise and win the division if the other teams aren't paying attention. NFC West is the best division in football, and it isn't even close.