Rams Pick #249 DE Michael Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Will those Mother Freakers from Westboro Baptist Church be protesting Rams games now?
Probably not the best referring to these people as "Mother Freakers", but I agree that we'll see protestors at every Rams game next year.

Unfortunately, we live in a society where the public is splintered and manipulated against itself. It's been going on for a long long time. So, one really needs to look in the mirror first to try to figure out how they are being manipulated before pointing fingers at any other segment of the public.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I couldn't give two farts in a hurricane about which way he swings. What bugs me is that instead of getting any sort of news on the development of new players and/or how the rams look in minicamps, it's gonna be nothing but all Sam all the time. Then if he gets cut all hell will break loose.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Just wanted to say - to those who say they're sick of the coverage.. the media does this with everything, not just this.

And, I watched the pick along with "the kiss" and it was an amazing moment of real change - An NFL DRAFT pick kissed his boyfriend after getting drafted!

That's pretty amazing. Rich Eisen said it best - something we've never seen before.

For some of us it might be as close as we get to watching the first black man become president. Something new and worth talking about. Yeah the media will run it in the ground, but they do that if Tom Brady stomps his toe. What happened in that moment was stunning. Years of homophobia (sometimes violent) have pressed gay couples to hide physical affection. And it's good to see a welcomed change.

Homophobic beliefs used to be the majority. Now, the opposite is true and people like Michael Sam are helping continue that change.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
First I would like to say that I believe in my heart of hearts that drafting Mike Sam was Stan Kroenke's play, and I applaud him for the sentiment and once again proving his affinity for Missouri and MU. Why I believe that is because Jef Fisher expressly said that it was an organization wide decision which begs the question if JF consulted with Kroenke on ALL the draft choices,which I believe he did not due in no small part to the knowledge that ownership infusing itself into personnel matters was Fishers primary motive for intentionally getting himself fired at Tenn.

I don't think it HAS to be asked but it occurs to me to ask , is it worse to be passed over because you are openly gay or to be chosen because you are? I find so much of the buzz and hoopla self serving by those that issue it and somewhat dehumanizing to Sam himself.

I wish we really did have a need for him and he was a high value pick as Fisher pedaled the story yesterday ,but the truth is he's come to a team where breaking into the d-line is one of the hardest in the league.
I predict we don't cut him but he will probably make the practice squad, barring injury,again I think that will be SK's wish and that Fisher is willing to bow to those wishes makes me have faith in the whole front offices ability to come together and co-operate. We are truly fortunate to have an owner like SK truly.

I wish the kid well and hope the drama doesn't get to him or the team.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Probably not the best referring to these people as "Mother Freakers", but I agree that we'll see protestors at every Rams game next year.

Unfortunately, we live in a society where the public is splintered and manipulated against itself. It's been going on for a long long time. So, one really needs to look in the mirror first to try to figure out how they are being manipulated before pointing fingers at any other segment of the public.
Are those Westboro tards in MO.? Love to have them there when I go.... save some overly ripe tomatoes! ;)

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
A bit of an off-topic aside, but I actually despise the term "homophobia" and all variations thereof.

In a limited amount of cases, it's appropriate. Anyone who would commit violence against someone else solely because of their sexual orientation is acting out of fear. One could argue that the Westboro cult acts out of fear, but I would say it's more about hatred and desiring to incite people into attacking them so they can file lawsuits. (There's a reason most of the one-family "church" are lawyers.)

But painting everyone who doesn't agree with a viewpoint as "phobic" only serves to drive people further apart and kill any hope of rational discourse on an issue. As people who discuss football on the Internet, we've long seen how easy it is for some to simply slap a label on people rather than respond to arguments, and how pointless that makes the discussion.

Hey, what's this I'm standing on? It's some kind of box...
lever-2000.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Michael Sam: Is emotional kiss exactly what some NFL teams were afraid of?
Michael Sam became the first openly gay player to be drafted by the National Football League Saturday. But he was one of the last players taken, and many questions remain.
By Mark Sappenfield, Staff writer / May 11, 2014

Michael Sam cries as he talks on a mobile phone at a draft party in San Diego after he was selected in the seventh round, 249th overall, by the St. Louis Rams in the NFL draft Saturday. The Southeastern Conference defensive player of the year last season came out as gay in media interviews this year.
ESPN/AP

Michael Sam, the first openly gay player ever to enter the National Football League draft, was taken by the St. Louis Rams with the 249th pick of the draft Saturday, proving precisely nothing about the state of homophobia in professional football.

Only one thing can be said with certainty: By taking Sam with the eighth-to-last pick of the seven-round draft, the St. Louis Rams saved the NFL a small public-relations nightmare.

Had he not been drafted, many questions would have been asked, most of them uncomfortable.

How could Sam, who was co-defensive player of the year in the Southeastern Conference – without question the top college football conference in the country – not even get drafted? How could a unanimous first-team All-American not be among the 256 players chosen by NFL teams? In an era when rushing the quarterback is perhaps the single most important defensive skill, why was someone with 11-1/2 sacks completely ignored?

Those questions have been avoided, though barely. Instead, different sorts of question have emerged: Why did it take so long for Sam to get drafted? Given that most seventh-round picks are largely throwaways, did the Rams draft Sam simply to save face for the league?

And, most poignantly, did 31 other teams want to avoid the image that came after Sam was finally drafted, when he kissed his boyfriend on live television?

The only people who know the answers to these questions are the people in the personnel departments of the NFL's 32 teams. Any other speculation is just that, because, despite his pedigree, Sam was a marginal draft prospect.

Had Sam been seen a can't-miss NFL star – someone who could change the shape of a defense – teams could not have avoided taking him. But most agree that his stock was hurt at least as much by his poor performances in the scouting combines and pro days as by his coming out.

Even before the scouting events, Sam's limitations were known: "He's tight, he's stiff, and he's short. He's got a lot going against him," one scout told USA Today. What he does have is enormous heart and drive. "He's relentless, and players like that – they can make things happen just with their will alone."

But NFL scouts are often numbers men. They like "tangibles": 40-yard dash times, bench press reps, vertical leap. What you did in college is almost a secondary factor. The reason? In football, the leap from college to pro means going from playing against boys to men. As we are seeing with increasing clarity, the NFL is a brutal league, and success in college is no guarantee of success in the pros. To survive – to thrive – you need to be fast, big, and strong.

By all these measures, Sam added to scouts' reservations by doing very poorly in the scouting combine. His pro day was better, but hardly overwhelming.

Before these scouting appearances, he was projected as a fourth-round pick, notes Nate Silver of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog. Afterward, he was projected for the sixth round. Sixth-round prospects like Sam have a 50-50 chance of getting drafted, Silver found in a data analysis.

Was the drop because of his performances or because he had come out as gay?

We don't know, but his scouting performances could certainly have justified the drop. On the other hand, those performances might simply have given teams the cover they wanted to avoid drafting a gay player. In a fascinating story written shortly after Sam announced that he is gay, Sports Illustrated found that several NFL executives and coaches said that Sam's sexuality would hurt his draft stock.

One NFL player personnel assistant said that NFL was not ready for a gay player: "It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

There were hints of that when Miami Dolphins player Don Jones tweeted "OMG" and "horrible" in reaction to Sam's on-screen kiss Saturday. The tweets were soon deleted. But the Dolphins were at the center of a scandal last year when one of their players, Jonathan Martin, left the team, saying he was bullied by teammates because he wasn't seen as being tough enough.

That points to another potential concern among NFL executives. Sam would likely bring a media circus to training camp, and would that "distraction" be worth it for a lower-tier prospect? After all, no other drafted player got a statement of congratulations from President Obama.

"Every Tom, Dick and Harry in the media is going to show up, from 'Good Housekeeping' to the 'Today' show," said a former general manager in the Sports Illustrated story. "A general manager is going to ask, 'Why are we going to do that to ourselves?' "

In the end, many analysts say Sam ended up in perhaps the perfect place. The Rams are not far from where Sam played in college, the University of Missouri, so fans in the region have already accepted him. Moreover, Rams coach Jeff Fisher is an old-school coach who will likely be able to keep "distractions" to a minimum. And Sam appears to be Fisher's type of player, writes Jeffri Chadiha of ESPN.

"Sam is a player who thrives because of his heart and will, a desire to outwork the competition. Fisher has long had affection for such players, and that's probably how Sam won him over."

Back in 1946, the Rams signed Kenny Washington, the first African-American football player in the modern era of the NFL. Fisher was aware of the historical resonance Saturday.

"This is the second historic moment in the history of this franchise," he said. "From that standpoint, from a historic standpoint, I'm honored to be a part of that."

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I didn't quote them or say who they were. I didn't bring anything in here. I just pointed out some of the reactions I was seeing from people.

"(they said they were Christian)."

You brought this

bluecoconuts

Legend
"(they said they were Christian)."

You brought this

Sounds more of an explanation than anything else. If people wish to use their faith as an excuse for bigotry then people should expect others to point it out. It is what it is, every group has their assholes, no need to get upset over anything.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The Drama Behind the Michael Sam Drama
How a thunderstorm 3,000 miles away from Michael Sam's California location almost kept ESPN from airing the most memorable moment in NFL draft history
By Richard Deitsch

“This is a crazy story, so follow me,” says ESPN coordinating producer Seth Markman, who is explaining the behind-the-scenes drama of how Michael Sam’s reaction to being drafted by the St. Louis Rams ended up on ESPN.

Or nearly didn’t.

“In our production truck outside of Radio City, we had a camera on Michael all day Saturday from noon to after 6:30 p.m.,” Markman explains. “I watched him on his couch. I watched him walk around. I watched all the people who were with him all day.

“So it’s now a little past 6:30 p.m. and all of a sudden I look up and the feed from where Michael is disappears. Gone. Totally black. And there are only a few picks left in the draft. We’re in the truck in New York basically freaking out. It turns out Bristol [ESPN’s headquarters] had thunderstorms that had come through and knocked our feed out. So I immediately call [executive producer of the ESPYs] Maura Mandt, who is onsite with Michael. I tell her, ‘Maura, we lost the feed! We lost the feed!’ ”

Mandt was the key to ESPN’s access. She had spent Friday and Saturday with Sam and his camp. She and a cameraman were in the den of the LaJolla, Calif., house, belonging to the parents of Sam’s agents, where the Sam party was watching the draft.

“At that point I am standing next to our cameraman saying, ‘Seth can’t see you. Is it you, or is it the satellite truck?’ ” Mandt says. “The cameraman confirms he is rolling. So I ran out to our [production] truck and found out it was on Bristol’s end. Okay, fine. So as we recorded the moment of Michael getting the phone call from the Rams, which Seth was not seeing, we had to prepare to feed that back to Bristol before the next moment happened. And that next moment was seeing Michael’s name called at the draft.”

ESPN had waited all day for the possibility of Sam being drafted. The network had something no other media outlet had—a camera on Sam and his friends and family. Markman said there had been a lot of behind-the-scenes negotiations for that access. Mandt had embedded with the Sam camp on Friday and Saturday as part of the feature leading up to the Arthur Ashe Award, which Sam will receive at the ESPYs on July 16.

“He was comfortable with that group,” Markman says. “Maura helped ease their camp’s mind that they could trust me, because they didn’t know me at all. If he was not drafted, we were not going to be able to show anything. That to me was a fair agreement and not unique.”

“We don’t have the feed as Michael is getting drafted,” Markman says. “I’m communicating with Bristol and also on the phone with Maura in California. She says she is going to feed the footage to Bristol and it is a great, emotional moment. I trust Maura and I think she would have told me if there was something I had to be careful with. We didn’t have time to have a discussion about it. So that’s why it took a few minutes for us to get it on the air after he was drafted. At one point we put up a still photo of Michael on the phone with the Rams. As it turned out, that still shot was pretty poignant.

Back to Mandt, who had to upload the footage to Bristol so it could eventually be sent to New York for the producers of ESPN’s draft show. “Seth and I were in contact all day, and I told him as the moment was happening that it was very emotional and there were great reacts from Michael,” says Mandt, who runs her own production company, Maggievision Productions. “I didn’t provide a shot sheet as there wasn’t time. But I told Seth that what I was seeing was real, raw emotion and a powerful reaction from a young man who had just realized his life dream.”

For what seemed like an eternity to those in the truck, there was still no video of Sam. Finally, Markman got word that reaction video was available for air. But he had no time to preview it.

“It was essentially live to us in the truck when we rolled it,” Markman says. “The only thing I knew was that Maura described it as ‘emotional video.’ So we got in [host] Trey’s Wingo’s ear and told him basically, Here is the video, look at the monitor and describe it. To Trey’s credit, he laid out [stopped talking], which was ultra-professional of him. So the tape is rolling, the moment with Michael is happening, and honestly, in our production truck out of everyone, there was only one person who asked ‘Is this going too far?’ We all thought: This is a great, emotional, historic moment. Let it go.”

Wingo began to talk over the footage but abruptly pulled out and let the sound of Sam’s weeping take over. The Missouri defensive lineman held the phone close to his ear as he spoke with Rams coach Jeff Fisher. Viewers saw Sam’s boyfriend, Vito Cammisano, consoling him and then wiping his own tears. They heard Sam say “Yes, sir” twice and then “thank you.” That was followed by Sam kissing his boyfriend and both men embracing. Then another kiss, more hugs and the raw footage running out. It was unlike anything viewers had ever seen on sports television, let alone an NFL draft show. Viewers later saw additional images of Sam and his boyfriend smashing cake into each other’s faces and kissing again. ESPN went 17 minutes on the selection, including a smart discussion with its panelists. It led them up to the final pick of the draft.

“We didn’t preview any of the later Sam footage either,” Markman says. “We just said, Let it roll. We thought it was spectacular, emotional video. I can’t tell you we thought it was groundbreaking because none of us had that conversation in the truck.”

The production group first learned just how powerful the reaction to the video had been when they looked at Twitter after the draft.

“That’s when it was like, ‘Wow, that was groundbreaking, controversial or whatever you want to call it,’ ” Markman says. “Some of the first tweets I saw were angry, which I understand. I don’t want to sound clichéd, but we have always been in players’ homes, we have documented it and seen hundreds and hundreds of hugs and kisses with loved ones.”

But this was different, and the video went viral immediately. It also aired on the NFL Network. Markman says that NFL Network executive Mark Quenzel had reached out to Mandt earlier on Saturday to ask if they could use ESPN’s footage if Sam was drafted. Markman says, after the conclusion of the draft, he heard from his immediate bosses as well as from ESPN president John Skipper, who told him that he was proud of the way the crew handled it. Mandt says the Sam camp told her they were pleased with how ESPN presented his selection.

“When I talked to our crew on Friday I told them the biggest thing about Michael Sam is to stay in your lanes,” Markman says. “I love Mel Kiper, and he is a legend when it comes to this thing. But I could already tell Mel was like, ‘What am I supposed to talk about here?’ So I said, ‘Mel, you are supposed to talk about him like a prospect, just like you would everyone else.’ That kind of eased his mind. Same with Todd McShay. Bill Polian said he could give the front office view and Trent Dilfer was prepared to talk about it from a locker room view. We wanted to talk about football with just a little bit of how meaningful it was. I thought they all handed it really well.”

“It was one of the greatest honors in my career to be in that room,” Mandt says. “I think we all new this was historic in this draft. The takeaway from me being around Michael was that it was a totally genuine and normal reaction, no different than any other draftee who turned to the person they cared about. That’s what I was seeing in that moment, someone so overwhelmed with emotion about something he had worked for his entire life. On top of that it was [a Missouri team that drafted him], which is home for him. In that moment I learned so much about Michael. This is a man that always lives his truth, and he did so in that moment.”

Markman says the one thing he kept thinking about the day after the draft was how much of a discussion would have existed had ESPN chosen not to show Sam and Cammisano embrace and kiss, and merely ended the video after 10 seconds or so.

“In the end, I am glad our team made the decision we did,” Markman says. “It was a just a really cool moment to be involved in.”

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
The Drama Behind the Michael Sam Drama
How a thunderstorm 3,000 miles away from Michael Sam's California location almost kept ESPN from airing the most memorable moment in NFL draft history
By Richard Deitsch

“This is a crazy story, so follow me,” says ESPN coordinating producer Seth Markman, who is explaining the behind-the-scenes drama of how Michael Sam’s reaction to being drafted by the St. Louis Rams ended up on ESPN.

Or nearly didn’t.

“In our production truck outside of Radio City, we had a camera on Michael all day Saturday from noon to after 6:30 p.m.,” Markman explains. “I watched him on his couch. I watched him walk around. I watched all the people who were with him all day.

“So it’s now a little past 6:30 p.m. and all of a sudden I look up and the feed from where Michael is disappears. Gone. Totally black. And there are only a few picks left in the draft. We’re in the truck in New York basically freaking out. It turns out Bristol [ESPN’s headquarters] had thunderstorms that had come through and knocked our feed out. So I immediately call [executive producer of the ESPYs] Maura Mandt, who is onsite with Michael. I tell her, ‘Maura, we lost the feed! We lost the feed!’ ”

Mandt was the key to ESPN’s access. She had spent Friday and Saturday with Sam and his camp. She and a cameraman were in the den of the LaJolla, Calif., house, belonging to the parents of Sam’s agents, where the Sam party was watching the draft.

“At that point I am standing next to our cameraman saying, ‘Seth can’t see you. Is it you, or is it the satellite truck?’ ” Mandt says. “The cameraman confirms he is rolling. So I ran out to our [production] truck and found out it was on Bristol’s end. Okay, fine. So as we recorded the moment of Michael getting the phone call from the Rams, which Seth was not seeing, we had to prepare to feed that back to Bristol before the next moment happened. And that next moment was seeing Michael’s name called at the draft.”

ESPN had waited all day for the possibility of Sam being drafted. The network had something no other media outlet had—a camera on Sam and his friends and family. Markman said there had been a lot of behind-the-scenes negotiations for that access. Mandt had embedded with the Sam camp on Friday and Saturday as part of the feature leading up to the Arthur Ashe Award, which Sam will receive at the ESPYs on July 16.

“He was comfortable with that group,” Markman says. “Maura helped ease their camp’s mind that they could trust me, because they didn’t know me at all. If he was not drafted, we were not going to be able to show anything. That to me was a fair agreement and not unique.”

“We don’t have the feed as Michael is getting drafted,” Markman says. “I’m communicating with Bristol and also on the phone with Maura in California. She says she is going to feed the footage to Bristol and it is a great, emotional moment. I trust Maura and I think she would have told me if there was something I had to be careful with. We didn’t have time to have a discussion about it. So that’s why it took a few minutes for us to get it on the air after he was drafted. At one point we put up a still photo of Michael on the phone with the Rams. As it turned out, that still shot was pretty poignant.

Back to Mandt, who had to upload the footage to Bristol so it could eventually be sent to New York for the producers of ESPN’s draft show. “Seth and I were in contact all day, and I told him as the moment was happening that it was very emotional and there were great reacts from Michael,” says Mandt, who runs her own production company, Maggievision Productions. “I didn’t provide a shot sheet as there wasn’t time. But I told Seth that what I was seeing was real, raw emotion and a powerful reaction from a young man who had just realized his life dream.”

For what seemed like an eternity to those in the truck, there was still no video of Sam. Finally, Markman got word that reaction video was available for air. But he had no time to preview it.

“It was essentially live to us in the truck when we rolled it,” Markman says. “The only thing I knew was that Maura described it as ‘emotional video.’ So we got in [host] Trey’s Wingo’s ear and told him basically, Here is the video, look at the monitor and describe it. To Trey’s credit, he laid out [stopped talking], which was ultra-professional of him. So the tape is rolling, the moment with Michael is happening, and honestly, in our production truck out of everyone, there was only one person who asked ‘Is this going too far?’ We all thought: This is a great, emotional, historic moment. Let it go.”

Wingo began to talk over the footage but abruptly pulled out and let the sound of Sam’s weeping take over. The Missouri defensive lineman held the phone close to his ear as he spoke with Rams coach Jeff Fisher. Viewers saw Sam’s boyfriend, Vito Cammisano, consoling him and then wiping his own tears. They heard Sam say “Yes, sir” twice and then “thank you.” That was followed by Sam kissing his boyfriend and both men embracing. Then another kiss, more hugs and the raw footage running out. It was unlike anything viewers had ever seen on sports television, let alone an NFL draft show. Viewers later saw additional images of Sam and his boyfriend smashing cake into each other’s faces and kissing again. ESPN went 17 minutes on the selection, including a smart discussion with its panelists. It led them up to the final pick of the draft.

“We didn’t preview any of the later Sam footage either,” Markman says. “We just said, Let it roll. We thought it was spectacular, emotional video. I can’t tell you we thought it was groundbreaking because none of us had that conversation in the truck.”

The production group first learned just how powerful the reaction to the video had been when they looked at Twitter after the draft.

“That’s when it was like, ‘Wow, that was groundbreaking, controversial or whatever you want to call it,’ ” Markman says. “Some of the first tweets I saw were angry, which I understand. I don’t want to sound clichéd, but we have always been in players’ homes, we have documented it and seen hundreds and hundreds of hugs and kisses with loved ones.”

But this was different, and the video went viral immediately. It also aired on the NFL Network. Markman says that NFL Network executive Mark Quenzel had reached out to Mandt earlier on Saturday to ask if they could use ESPN’s footage if Sam was drafted. Markman says, after the conclusion of the draft, he heard from his immediate bosses as well as from ESPN president John Skipper, who told him that he was proud of the way the crew handled it. Mandt says the Sam camp told her they were pleased with how ESPN presented his selection.

“When I talked to our crew on Friday I told them the biggest thing about Michael Sam is to stay in your lanes,” Markman says. “I love Mel Kiper, and he is a legend when it comes to this thing. But I could already tell Mel was like, ‘What am I supposed to talk about here?’ So I said, ‘Mel, you are supposed to talk about him like a prospect, just like you would everyone else.’ That kind of eased his mind. Same with Todd McShay. Bill Polian said he could give the front office view and Trent Dilfer was prepared to talk about it from a locker room view. We wanted to talk about football with just a little bit of how meaningful it was. I thought they all handed it really well.”

“It was one of the greatest honors in my career to be in that room,” Mandt says. “I think we all new this was historic in this draft. The takeaway from me being around Michael was that it was a totally genuine and normal reaction, no different than any other draftee who turned to the person they cared about. That’s what I was seeing in that moment, someone so overwhelmed with emotion about something he had worked for his entire life. On top of that it was [a Missouri team that drafted him], which is home for him. In that moment I learned so much about Michael. This is a man that always lives his truth, and he did so in that moment.”

Markman says the one thing he kept thinking about the day after the draft was how much of a discussion would have existed had ESPN chosen not to show Sam and Cammisano embrace and kiss, and merely ended the video after 10 seconds or so.

“In the end, I am glad our team made the decision we did,” Markman says. “It was a just a really cool moment to be involved in.”
Taht's a damn good article. Love the Publicity this is giving us.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The best outcome for this player would be an injury or a fake injury? Really Mike Florio?
-------------------------------------------
Sam may have been better off going undrafted

Posted by Mike Florio on May 13, 2014

sam1.jpg
Getty Images

The stature and media coverage of the draft create a clear presumption that it’s very good for a player to have his name called as one of the more than 250 selections. For players drafted at the end of the process, however, it’s better to not be drafted at all.

If not drafted, a player may sign as a free agent with the team of his choosing, with the goal of finding the roster that gives him the best chance of earning — and holding — one of the 53 final roster spots. For that reason, former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam’s short-term and long-term career prospects may have been enhanced by not being selected with the 249th of 256 picks.

Rams G.M. Les Snead hinted at this dynamic during a Monday appearance on PFT Live, when discussing the thought process behind drafting Sam. Snead explained that the Rams hoped to sign two undrafted defensive ends, but that the quality of the team’s current collection of defensive ends could make that challenging. Thus, to get the number of defensive ends that the Rams hoped to have in the offseason and training camp, they needed to rely on the draft.

In other words, the Rams knew it would be very difficult to persuade undrafted defensive ends to voluntarily join the team. So they opted to add Michael Sam involuntarily.

Ultimately, they may voluntarily cut Sam — especially in light of the competition he faces on the roster. It won’t be easy to do. Michael Sam jerseys are selling briskly, and fans will expect to see him on the field in September.

The best outcome for Sam and the Rams could be an injury (or perhaps an “injury”) that would allow the team to put him on IR for the season. He’d receive his full salary, the fans who purchased jerseys with the idea that he’ll be on the team will be placated, and the Rams would have an extra year to decide whether he has the ability to thrive at the NFL level.