Rams Pick #249 DE Michael Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Extremely happy for the guy. Took a lot of courage to come out before the draft or at all.

It's too bad this is such a big deal.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Hey, I cried when I saw how emotional Michael Sam was when the Rams FO were talking to him on the phone. That was an incredibly emotional moment for that kid.

Who else here cried. C'mon, give it up!
I ain't going to lie to you, I nearly did. I'm happy for him and proud to be a Rams fan

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Extremely happy for the guy. Took a lot of courage to come out before the draft or at all.

It's too bad this is such a big deal.
If he plays football and does what he can to not be a distraction (which I think he'll do), it'll go away eventually.

The media is just hoping he does something stupid.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
When I see Sam play though, I just see a good football player. He seems to really love the game and should be a good 4-3 rotational guy imo.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He was a damn good MIZ tiger, good pass rusher. He's wasn't a locker room problem of any kind that I know of. No question his stock tanked because he came out as the first openly gay player in football. The only problem with drafting him is the media circus that will follow him. I find it distracting but maybe we'll get to see extra footage in TC because of it.

Our DL is stacked...

Boffo97

Name
Dave
You know they were just waiting for it.... copy and paste team and hit submit article button.
And tearfully delete their already written "NFL is a bunch of homophobic bigots for not drafting Sam" articles?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
LMAO

Well I'm sure they had a few ready
I'm absolutely sure of it... because they were preemptively printing them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/10/michael-sam-nfl-draft_n_5299198.html

"“For them not to select him would be very problematic,” Cyd Zeigler, the founder of OutSports.com, told NBC News ahead of the draft. “If he isn’t selected, it’s a public black eye on the league.”"

"So if you’re a Sam fan, or are just rooting for his social message — a gay player can be accepted in the most “manly” American team sport — don’t freak out if his name isn’t called," Gregory wrote. "If no NFL team extends Sam an invite to camp, that’s when things get fishy. That would reek of weakness and bigotry."

If, and hopefully this is unlikely due to his college plaudits, he doesn't even make the team... THAT'S when it gets ugly. And solely directed at the Rams. That's the one thing that scares me (other than him doing something to make himself a distraction... much like Britt did today.)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lets just hope that there isn't any ridiculous backlash if he gets cut in TC.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm just hoping that one day he won't be known as "the gay football player", but rather "that damn good pass rusher the Rams drafted".

V3

Hall of Fame
Sadly, I'm seeing quite a few posts on the internet saying they're done with the Rams and how disgusting the organization is. I don't get how some people are so stupid and hypocritical (they said they were Christian).

bluecoconuts

Legend
Hey, I cried when I saw how emotional Michael Sam was when the Rams FO were talking to him on the phone. That was an incredibly emotional moment for that kid.

Who else here cried. C'mon, give it up!

Always love to see players get emotional like that, shows how much they care.

To this day, I still don't think I've seen a championship commercial better than this one. You can really feel the emotion from these guys who lay it on the line for those 16-24 games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sadly, I'm seeing quite a few posts on the internet saying they're done with the Rams and how disgusting the organization is. I don't get how some people are so stupid and hypocritical (they said they were Christian).
Some people just need things to hate. It's like fuel.
I'm just glad we're above the fray here. It should have a positive impact on our numbers.