Rams OL Contenders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Let's take a look at the OL in the running to make the roster, purely by size for now.

Jake Long - T - 6'7", 322#
Greg Robinson - T/G - 6'5" 332#
Scott Wells - C - 6'2", 302#
Rodger Saffold - G/T - 6'5", 332#
Joe Barksdale - T - 6'5", 326#
Davin Joseph - G - 6'2", 313#
Barrett Jones - G/C/T - 6'4", 308#
Brandon Washington - G - 6'2", 320#
Mike Person - T/G - 6'4", 299#
Mitchell Van Dyk - T - 6'7", 313#
Sean Hooey - T - 6'9", 295#
Tim Barnes - C/G - 6'3", 306#
Demetrius Rhaney - C/G - 6'2", 302#
Travis Bond - G - 6'6", 329#
Abasi Salimu - T/G - 6'5", 290#

I dig all that beef on the line. Athletic beef, at that - all the starters are huge and pretty nimble, being 4 tackles and a center. I'm intrigued quite a bit by Bond, Van Dyk and Hooey.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
That's a pretty impressive first 6 Dewey, could it be the Rams are actually assembling a formidable OL?

I like it!

paceram

Pro Bowler
That's a pretty impressive first 6 Dewey, could it be the Rams are actually assembling a formidable OL?

I like it!

Agreed! I think this year's Offensive Line will be the best one they have had in many, many years! And, the great thing is that they should only get better as they get more
experience playing together!

Alan

Legend
I see great possibilities and a huge potential for disaster. Only Barksdale and Robinson don't have an injury history. Robinson has yet to show he can pass block and Barksdale is just a meh RT.

Then we get to the subs and what do we have there? Only Barnes has shown any ability to play football in the NFL and he was barely adequate.

On the other hand, if the starters can stay healthy and Robinson learns how to pass block...it could be awesome. I'm looking forward to TC.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is the weight for Saffold Correct? I could have sworn he was like 312? Just thought Robinson was the biggest hunk of beef on the line....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is the weight for Saffold Correct? I could have sworn he was like 312? Just thought Robinson was the biggest hunk of beef on the line....
It's the weight both NFL.com and Wikipedia cite. Barksdale is also heavier than I thought.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I like it!
Well, if they're healthy, then yeah, they have the talent to be a top 5 line, IMO.
Long - former Pro Bowler, IMO 2nd best LT in the NFL behind Joe Thomas when healthy
Robinson - #2 overall pick, athletic freak with drive to match, upside is HOF
Wells - former Pro Bowler, heady center, great with line calls
Saffold - might be one of the 2 or 3 best guards in the game based on his play last season (again, when healthy)
Barksdale - played really, really well, looks like a rock at RT
Jones - my mancrush (along with Harkey), IMO will end up being a 10-year starter at center
Joseph - former Pro Bowler, at the point where he should be recovered from his injury, chip on his shoulder

Also, these guys are mostly quite young - Robinson's 21, Saffold's 26, Barksdale's 25, Long's only 29, Jones 24, most of the depth is 1st- or 2nd-year players... only Wells and Joseph are in their 30's. This could be a line that stays together for years to come.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All I ask is that by the end of the season I see (16) next to the number of games they've played together.
(19) wouldn't be bad either, but let's take care of one hurdle at a time.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I see great possibilities and a huge potential for disaster. Only Barksdale and Robinson don't have an injury history. Robinson has yet to show he can pass block and Barksdale is just a meh RT.

Then we get to the subs and what do we have there? Only Barnes has shown any ability to play football in the NFL and he was barely adequate.

On the other hand, if the starters can stay healthy and Robinson learns how to pass block...it could be awesome. I'm looking forward to TC.
The Davin Joseph signing put me over the top in terms of depth concerning injuries. Worst case scenario is they all go down and Barrett Jones gets an NFL snap and we get to see Steven Jackson at LT. :D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Supposedly the coaches like Hooey.mIf that is true he could have a very good chance to make the roster. Jones and Joseph make it and the 5 starters listed. so that leaves only 2 spots, correct? Most likely candidates could be Washington, Person, or Barnes.

My hope is that Rhaney can unseat Barnes. Even if Jones is the future Center (one report from Softli was he is projected to play Guard), I didn't like Barnes audition. So Hopefully Rhaney can impress and the Rams get a steal in a future Center. Also pulling for Van Dyke.

Where the hell have you been?

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators asking about my itinerary:
Where the hell have you been?
I've been hearing rumors for the last 60 years that we actually have a state between Montana and Colorado but, due to a lack of any empirical data to substantiate them, I decided it was necessary for me to go and see the truth for myself so I added it to my bucket list. I'm on a "Wyoming or Bust" odyssey even as I write this. I have my doubts about the viability of this whole venture though because even though I arm myself with a full canteen of hot coffee (Sumatran), fill my shirt pocket full of extra spicy beef jerky and attach my bag of shrooms to my belt, I always end up back at my house at the end of the day. Tomorrow, I'm going to start out on my journey without having a little snack first. We'll have to see how that goes. :unsure:
conspiracy.gif

I've been hearing rumors for the last 60 years that we actually have a state between Montana and Colorado but, due to a lack of any empirical data to substantiate them, I decided it was necessary for me to go and see the truth for myself so I added it to my bucket list. I'm on a "Wyoming or Bust" odyssey even as I write this. I have my doubts about the viability of this whole venture though because even though I arm myself with a full canteen of hot coffee (Sumatran), fill my shirt pocket full of extra spicy beef jerky and attach my bag of shrooms to my belt, I always end up back at my house at the end of the day. Tomorrow, I'm going to start out on my journey without having a little snack first. We'll have to see how that goes. :unsure:
conspiracy.gif

Didn't understand a word of that, but it's good to see you anyway (y)

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Let's take a look at the OL in the running to make the roster, purely by size for now.

Jake Long - T - 6'7", 322#
Greg Robinson - T/G - 6'5" 332#
Scott Wells - C - 6'2", 302#
Rodger Saffold - G/T - 6'5", 332#
Joe Barksdale - T - 6'5", 326#
Davin Joseph - G - 6'2", 313#
Barrett Jones - G/C/T - 6'4", 308#
Brandon Washington - G - 6'2", 320#
Mike Person - T/G - 6'4", 299#
Mitchell Van Dyk - T - 6'7", 313#
Sean Hooey - T - 6'9", 295#
Tim Barnes - C/G - 6'3", 306#
Demetrius Rhaney - C/G - 6'2", 302#
Travis Bond - G - 6'6", 329#
Abasi Salimu - T/G - 6'5", 290#

I dig all that beef on the line. Athletic beef, at that - all the starters are huge and pretty nimble, being 4 tackles and a center. I'm intrigued quite a bit by Bond, Van Dyk and Hooey.
07-18-2012_beast_mode_on_tt_detail.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Hey Alan you drinking any good coffee yet?:coffee: missed yur sorry self!:)

The Ram Org. will approach the 2014 season OL cadre in size as they did in 2013 10 to 11 players on the master roster will be OL'ers in order to help fight that dark injury cloud issue. Rams OL has had many OL injury disasters back to back hit us & yet the Rams have returned again. Of the Rams five starters Long-Robinson-Wells-Saffold-Barksdale...only one remained uninjured & standing as a Ram OL last season.

This early season has yet a different look to it. Sure appears that the swing OT's (Saffold #3 OT & Robinson #4 OT) will come from the starting OG's, not a good way to plan but that's what up currently @ OT. The smaller (jack of all trades) Mike Person who has three seasons worth of TC's & Pre seasons under his belt now entering his 4th, would be the best bet to get a ton of action @ OT the next two 1 1/2 months....he has the look as an emergency OT & the best OT non starter. I would bet that he is bigger & stronger when we see him this year. The Long & Saffold injury dark cloud is still lurking around I'm sure Alan. Boudreau top mission presently & its a must.....find a bona fide back up right OT somewhere.

The interior reserves has a different look as well with older veteran Joseph (yes who has had a rough time recovering from that 2012 knee surgery & following staff infections in it) & now younger vet Tim Barnes with starting experience. I just have a good feeling about these two top interior OL'ers myself. I will just call OC's Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney rookies to save time both can play many positions too. Looks like I probably just covered & mentioned the top solid 10 player OL cadre. (y)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Really want to get a better look at the blocking Dutchman Mitchell Van Dyk...He seems to have great size and Portland State ran the football well so he should fit right in. Travis Bond is intriguing as well. OL Coach Paul Boudreau likes them big and this group is huge.

Many of us have been waiting for an offensive line of this caliber and in 2014 the boys in millennium blue will make talcum powder out of you!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This song for Coach Bo or Coach Boo in this case.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Really want to get a better look at the blocking Dutchman Mitchell Van Dyk...He seems to have great size and Portland State ran the football well so he should fit right in. Travis Bond is intriguing as well. OL Coach Paul Boudreau likes them big and this group is huge.

Many of us have been waiting for an offensive line of this caliber and in 2014 the boys in millennium blue will make talcum powder out of you!

Yep those would be the two best long term developmentals that we have now. Van Dyk has that RIGHT OT look down. Not sure how this will turn out for him but if the injury cloud moves on out to the west coast & the Ram OL remains injury free :whistle: (meaning we do not have to go out & find additional talent) Van Dyk could stick this season so the 2015 Ram OL has a emergency plan if Barksdale departs for mega millions elsewhere. In truth a ORT Van Dyk has more value to us than a 4th center like Rhaney. I feel Rhaney is more ready than Van Dyk IMO. I would hate to see Van Dyk get plucked off the Rams PS.

The future Rams OL is still far from being anything but fuzzy...as to who will be our ORT after this season....???

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam delving into the goodies:
This early season has yet a different look to it. Sure appears that the swing OT's (Saffold #3 OT & Robinson #4 OT) will come from the starting OG's, not a good way to plan but that's what up currently @ OT. The smaller (jack of all trades) Mike Person who has three seasons worth of TC's & Pre seasons under his belt now entering his 4th, would be the best bet to get a ton of action @ OT the next two 1 1/2 months....he has the look as an emergency OT & the best OT non starter. I would bet that he is bigger & stronger when we see him this year. The Long & Saffold injury dark cloud is still lurking around I'm sure Alan. Boudreau top mission presently & its a must.....find a bona fide back up right OT somewhere.

The interior reserves has a different look as well with older veteran Joseph (yes who has had a rough time recovering from that 2012 knee surgery & following staff infections in it) & now younger vet Tim Barnes with starting experience. I just have a good feeling about these two top interior OL'ers myself. I will just call OC's Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney rookies to save time both can play many positions too. Looks like I probably just covered & mentioned the top solid 10 player OL cadre. (y)
I tried the Starbucks Komodo Dragon you recommended and while I liked it, I had almost the same reaction that CostaRicoffee had:
http://www.starbucksstore.com/komodo-dragon-blend/011028501,default,pd.html
rating.gif

1 / 5
Watery taste not as Advertised !!!
March 28, 2014
CostaRicoffee

Starbucks Personality:A shot of espresso

I'm advanced in coffee expertise and either the batches are different looking at the reviews or reviews are filtered or else people are clueless about coffee -
This is a bad light watery taste coffee ; I'm used to top quality from another company.

That review was on the same page as this one:
rating.gif

4 / 5
Dark Coffee Lover
April 8, 2014
BFozardCoffeeTime

Drinks Starbucks:All day
Starbucks Personality:A press pot of single-origin coffee

This is great coffee. I ordered the whole beans. It is a dark roast and very strong. I believe that you can actually use a little less than the standard 1 coffee scoop per cup (which is what I usually use). If you use too much, it actually is a tad bit bitter. But when I used a scoop less and added my cream (which is how I drink my coffee), it was a very good tasting cup of coffee. The pound should last me a while!

So one guy thinks it's watery and the other guy thinks ti's too weak. For myself, I thought it was a tad weak but but very good. Perhaps the quality control of this product isn't very good and the strength varies from pound to pound.

Be that as it may, my favorite is still a mix of 3/4 Sumatran and 1/4 Kenyan. Nirvana!

It's great to be talking O-line (and coffee) with you again Vernon!
I'm much less sanguine as you about the prospect of Person being our top emergency/best non-starting OT. Even with all the difficulties we've had with O-line injuries he has only been an after thought for Boo so far and he's had three years to get "bigger & stronger" and how's that been going? For absolutely no good reason, I'm more comfortable in thinking that Jones will be the better answer.

Other than the new draftees, our O-line interior depth lost all it's experience when Williams and Smith departed. Of course it could be argued that the loss of those two was addition by subtraction but I can't help wishing that the Rams had been successful in their effort to trade up to get Zack Martin in this years draft. That might have solved the back up RT (and G) issue you mentioned.

I'm hoping, like every year, for great developments in TC and the pre-season to ally my fears.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The future Rams OL is still far from being anything but fuzzy...as to who will be our ORT after this season....???

Great points, but IMO if Barksdale really plays well maybe they will look to sign him and if not, there is still the draft, but Van Dyk seems to offer more upside than Sean Hooey for example just because Hooey has always had durability issues. Again this is why I enjoy watching every preseason games because you get to see them live in game action.

Again we hope to never see these players during the regular season, but some people count sheep at night to get to sleep I go over the Rams roster in my head and fall fast asleep as I await training camp and preseason.