Rams OL Contenders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
the guy who intrigues me is Travis Bond. He actually makes Robinson look small. The day I was able to attend OTAs, they had Bond working at LT, and he actually looked like he moved pretty well for his size.

Van Dyk was at RT, and I agree with Bonifay, he seems limited to RT. He is tall and lanky, much like Hooey, just wonder about his strength at this level. Robert Person could be the guy who sticks. They seem to like his versatility.

IMO, the guy who appears to be the odd man out, is Washington. I think he stuck around because he was the best option in what was a very thin group. Those days are gone. With the like of Joseph, Jones, Barnes all moving past him as alternatives inside, there just doesn't appear to be room for him this year.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep those would be the two best long term developmentals that we have now. Van Dyk has that RIGHT OT look down. Not sure how this will turn out for him but if the injury cloud moves on out to the west coast & the Ram OL remains injury free :whistle: (meaning we do not have to go out & find additional talent) Van Dyk could stick this season so the 2015 Ram OL has a emergency plan if Barksdale departs for mega millions elsewhere. In truth a ORT Van Dyk has more value to us than a 4th center like Rhaney. I feel Rhaney is more ready than Van Dyk IMO. I would hate to see Van Dyk get plucked off the Rams PS.

The future Rams OL is still far from being anything but fuzzy...as to who will be our ORT after this season....???
Might be Barksdale. Might be Long. I really don't want them to cut Long for cap savings considering how well he plays when healthy... if he has a full healthy season, a 2015 line of Robinson - Joseph? - Jones? - Saffold - Long could be dominant. Or Robinson - Joseph? - Jones? - Saffold - Barksdale if they cut Long and re-up Joe.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
the guy who intrigues me is Travis Bond. He actually makes Robinson look small. The day I was able to attend OTAs, they had Bond working at LT, and he actually looked like he moved pretty well for his size.

Van Dyk was at RT, and I agree with Bonifay, he seems limited to RT. He is tall and lanky, much like Hooey, just wonder about his strength at this level. Robert Person could be the guy who sticks. They seem to like his versatility.

IMO, the guy who appears to be the odd man out, is Washington. I think he stuck around because he was the best option in what was a very thin group. Those days are gone. With the like of Joseph, Jones, Barnes all moving past him as alternatives inside, there just doesn't appear to be room for him this year.

Thanks Coach I was pleased they claimed Bond as well and he can play both G/T as to Mike Person not sure on him I realize he can play anywhere on the offensive line, but I want to see him in game action. Van Dyk although limited to RT did play some LT in college and I agree that he has to get stronger, but under Strength & Conditioning Coach Rock Gullickson I don't see that as an issue because Van Dyk came to Portland State at like 250 and left at 300 and with the 6'7 frame more growth looms on the horizon.

Agree on Brandon Washington was confused when the Rams kept him and released DE Gerald Rivers who was quickly claimed by the Jaguars. Seems to me at that time they should have released Washington, but maybe they were more concerned about OL depth then. Washington has not show much IMO and with the additions of Bond and others this might be his last year in horns IMHO.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Might be Barksdale. Might be Long. I really don't want them to cut Long for cap savings considering how well he plays when healthy... if he has a full healthy season, a 2015 line of Robinson - Joseph? - Jones? - Saffold - Long could be dominant. Or Robinson - Joseph? - Jones? - Saffold - Barksdale if they cut Long and re-up Joe.

AS much "fun" as it is to try to project future possibilities, IMO, this unit more so than any other on a football team, especially with the likes of Boudreau and Fisher, is a year by year endeavor. There are so many factors that come into play from one year to the next, that their plan is to look at THIS YEAR, and leave it at that.

The one thing they have shown, is to be very capable of putting a plan in place, and they seem to have built this unit piece by piece. Yes, they have an idea moving forward, but they are more about developing younger guys long term, while finding a comfort zone with veterans for the here and now. Hence, guys like Joseph, Barnes, and even a Person should have a leg up THIS YEAR, while Van Dyk, Rhaney and/or Bond could find their way to the PS.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks Coach I was pleased they claimed Bond as well and he can play both G/T as to Mike Person not sure on him I realize he can play anywhere on the offensive line, but I want to see him in game action. Van Dyk although limited to RT did play some LT in college and I agree that he has to get stronger, but under Strength & Conditioning Coach Rock Gullickson I don't see that as an issue because Van Dyk came to Portland State at like 250 and left at 300 and with the 6'7 frame more growth looms on the horizon.

Agree on Brandon Washington was confused when the Rams kept him and released DE Gerald Rivers who was quickly claimed by the Jaguars. Seems to me at that time they should have released Washington, but maybe they were more concerned about OL depth then. Washington has not show much IMO and with the additions of Bond and others this might be his last year in horns IMHO.

See my previous post, regarding the development of younger guys like Van Dyk. This staff has shown patience with the likes of Barnes, Jones, Hooey, Person. All younger guys who needed that year to get stronger. Barnes and Jones are perfect examples of what training with an NFL Strength Coach can do when reshaping an NFL O-Linemen.

As to why they kept Washington, you are dead on, IMO. The depth of the O-Line was the sole reason. That they kept 11 guys on the 53 man roster proves that.

Also, I for one, don't get all the love for G. Rivers. He flashed in PRESEASON games, against lesser competition, and there was little to no chance he was going to contribute ahead of the likes of Sims, Hayes, et al.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Line play is so tough to judge w/out pads.....You can gauge a players mobility, but really little else, maybe his understanding of angles & the playbook in general....Still, I like Long, G-Rob, Jones/Barnes, Saff, Barksdale as starters. Joseph, Bond, & Van Dyk round out the list...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Also, I for one, don't get all the love for G. Rivers. He flashed in PRESEASON games, against lesser competition, and there was little to no chance he was going to contribute ahead of the likes of Sims, Hayes, et al.

Personally I just liked his play and the fact he missed a whole year being for academic reasons and then came back to actually graduate showed me quite a bit as to his character. Yes he did show against lesser competition, however, that was the only opportunity he had. In the end I'm not concerned as I'm quite confident with the likes of Sam and or Westbrooks the Rams do have that position in good shape, but as you well know Coach, you can never have too many pass rushers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

As for Jake Long being released for Cap savings issues ....if Jake was to continue his gradual slow decline in his skill level handing speed rushers this season & Greg Robinson increases his skill @ pass protection and Joe Barksdale receives a big offer as a UFA then IMO Jake is the first choice to take over for vacancy created by Barksdale. Jake even at this age with the wear would be an outstanding Right OT.But that cost is way out of line with most ORT's

Jake's 2015 cap rate will be an issue no matter what. Jake Long vs Joe Barksdale weighing the differences? & is 4 yrs younger and minus about 8 surgeries, five of which were major. Jake is slated to hit our 2015 cap @ a rate of over 9 million and 8.75 million in 2016...Barksdale most likely could be had for about 1/3 of that cost.

A320driver

Rookie
First off this is my first post here so here goes....Van Dyke will be a practice squad guy..lost to much OTA time, due to NFL requirements for him to finish up at Portland (they are on QTRS.) he's way behind, but not at all his fault. Also not as strong, and or big, and or experienced as Sean Hooey who had a year in the system.
Hooeys numbers are from last year with no updates..currently 315-320 range and a heck of a lot stronger.
Both he and Barrett are in much better condition and have the play book down..both baring injury will be on the roster. The real battle is Joseph/ person /Washington for the guard back ups..
Saffold will be kept inside at all possible ..How Hooey does in camp/ pre season will be telling.
They like him..A LOT ! But the plan is to have Roger fill if Jake can't go..for now.
Robinson is a guard, and still has an uphill battle to get command of the play book, as well as the pace, and feel of things. Has a pretty big learning curve to overcome his lack of pass pro skills (thanks Gus/Auburn)!
Barnes is going to be pretty hard to displace from the back up center roll, so Jones has a better chance of seeing more playing time at Guard, but that's just me blowing hot air ? Just thinking about how many reps have to be shared at Guard for the camp/ pre season. ..As per the norm, only first round picks see the field as rookies. Very rare to see a late round guy get playing time in the season at O Line. Our late round guys are all developmental, and will vie for practice squad spots.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
First off this is my first post here so here goes....Van Dyke will be a practice squad guy..lost to much OTA time, due to NFL requirements for him to finish up at Portland (they are on QTRS.) he's way behind, but not at all his fault. Also not as strong, and or big, and or experienced as Sean Hooey who had a year in the system.
Hooeys numbers are from last year with no updates..currently 315-320 range and a heck of a lot stronger.
Both he and Barrett are in much better condition and have the play book down..both baring injury will be on the roster. The real battle is Joseph/ person /Washington for the guard back ups..
Saffold will be kept inside at all possible ..How Hooey does in camp/ pre season will be telling.
They like him..A LOT ! But the plan is to have Roger fill if Jake can't go..for now.
Robinson is a guard, and still has an uphill battle to get command of the play book, as well as the pace, and feel of things. Has a pretty big learning curve to overcome his lack of pass pro skills (thanks Gus/Auburn)!
Barnes is going to be pretty hard to displace from the back up center roll, so Jones has a better chance of seeing more playing time at Guard, but that's just me blowing hot air ? Just thinking about how many reps have to be shared at Guard for the camp/ pre season. ..As per the norm, only first round picks see the field as rookies. Very rare to see a late round guy get playing time in the season at O Line. Our late round guys are all developmental, and will vie for practice squad spots.

I'd say if PFF numbers are correct/accurate, if Jones comes ready to play & Rhaney looks ready too...I'd cut Barnes....check out this link

http://archauthority.com/2014/07/09...s/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

A320driver

Rookie
I'd say if PFF numbers are correct/accurate, if Jones comes ready to play & Rhaney looks ready too...I'd cut Barnes....check out this link

Good article, and thanks for the link.

It's true about Barrett being listed on the depth chart at both G/C And I can tell you he has transformed his body as I stated prior..Shook his hand, and it dissapeared..I am a pretty big guy, and this kid is solid, but heck! They all are!
It's really gonna come down to camp and how they do in the pre season games..Add to that the cap hits, and whose locked in vs. who is up for contract next season.
Everyone is going to have to give Greg Robinson time ! Dont expect him to come out polished AKA Alan Fanica. He will surely knock some dudes around like a first round Tyson fight, but he is going to struggle I guarantee it.
It's the NFL, and he needs time to adjust. The jump is huge from college. Forget it, and put it out of your minds if you think he is going to play OT this year. Saffold is the guy who will definitely be called upon to fill if needed, but he has shown to be really taxed physically out on the edge, and I am referring solely to his injury prone history..Inside he is more durable working in the confines at guard. So to my point. Sean Hooeys camp/ pre season will be a very closely watched work in progress.
I think if he can continue to show progress, and stay healthy, he is the guy they would like to be the swing tackle...I'll be going down to the park at least a couple of times this summer, and will be watching this one closely..I also want to see the RB competition, as well as the progression of our WR corp..Sam B. is a no brainer. We need a big year from him !!!

fearsomefour

Legend
Rhaney is the guy that is most interesting to me based just on athletic ability....very raw as a blocker at this point from what I have read.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, looks like we're more or less expecting:

LT - J. Long, S. Hooey
LG - G. Robinson, T. Bond
C - S. Wells, B. Jones, T. Barnes
RG - R. Saffold, D. Joseph
RT - J. Barksdale

That's 10 players on the active roster, and Saffold's versatility lets them keep an extra center/guard over, say, Mike Person as a fourth tackle.

Practice squad:
Van Dyk, Rhaney

Cuts:
Washington, Person, Salimu

Avg. starting offensive lineman will be 6'5" 322# (I love all that size on the line)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am looking at it a little differently DCH.With the 5 starters being Long- Robinson- Wells- Saffold- Barksdale. This appears fully set. I fill strong that four of the reserve OL'ers are set. OC Reserve-#6- Tim Barnes who can also play both OG positions. OG Reserve-#7- Davin Joseph not as versatile as the other OL'ers who has been primarily a ORG but could play OLG too. OT-reserves- #8- Barrett Jones & #9- Mike Person both these young very versatile OL'ers have shown the ability @ all five OL positions. Both Person & Jones were very good OLT's in college.

Boudreau needs a emergency OT in the worse way. Depending on on just how well Person & Jones can play OT in TC & pre season will determine who will be the 10th Ol'er. If Bond or Hooey shows they he can play right OT then either could stick as the #10 OL. If not, both will be released. Rams drafted interior OL'er Rhaney in mind could be the surprise for Boudreau in TC. Problem here for Boudreau, he does not need another center type interior OL'er, he needs an OL'er who can be inserted @ the exteriors @ OT. Van Dyk is a big big question at best a PS OL'er IMO.

In conclusion as it stands very early in mid summer .....if Person & Jones demonstrate in TC & pre season they can hold their own @ both OT posts (I think they can) & Rhaney is what I think he is Rhaney will be the 10th OLer with OT Van Dyk & Hooey heading for the early practice Squad. Snead & Fisher will keep 10 OL'ers just like last year on the master roster.

A320driver

Rookie
I agree that person could get some work at OT..But Barrett is not going to play there.
Hooey got the Lions share of reps for a good reason and Person only got one day in OTAS with the 1's
Roger ran with the 1s on the last day and Hooey ran behind Joe at RT.
DJ did not do anything to change Boos mind ...If he and Roger can stay healthy Hooey and he will be the back ups at left and Right tackle respectfully barring any huge changes in the depth chart coming out of OTAS...I was told the kid is smart and is hard to get around ..he had some pretty good practices against Quinn ..and Waffel has been impressed ..thatd be good enough for me to buy in
besides he has a frame to add to

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Is the weight for Saffold Correct? I could have sworn he was like 312? Just thought Robinson was the biggest hunk of beef on the line....
I read where Saffold said he played at 317 last year, but plans to start around 325 because he knows he is playing guard.
He is the key to the success of that line---HIS HEALTH!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I read where Saffold said he played at 317 last year, but plans to start around 325 because he knows he is playing guard.
He is the key to the success of that line---HIS HEALTH!

Here you go guys.....
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13294/rodger-saffold
http://www.nfl.com/player/rodgersaffold/497048/profile

I will bet you that when the season begins he will be nowhere close to being that 332 pounds but much bigger! The plan is for Saffold to be the starting ORG in a run dominated offense....that's what Saffold has been told.....expecting a very large massive OG like Saffold to go out and perform @ OLT like he did four yrs ago & handling those much lighter speed rushers may be asking a lot IMO. Big mistake putting Saffold back out there @ OT.

I agree that person could get some work at OT..But Barrett is not going to play there.
Hooey got the Lions share of reps for a good reason and Person only got one day in OTAS with the 1's
Roger ran with the 1s on the last day and Hooey ran behind Joe at RT.
DJ did not do anything to change Boos mind ...If he and Roger can stay healthy Hooey and he will be the back ups at left and Right tackle respectfully barring any huge changes in the depth chart coming out of OTAS...I was told the kid is smart and is hard to get around ..he had some pretty good practices against Quinn ..and Waffel has been impressed ..thatd be good enough for me to buy in
besides he has a frame to add to

Welcome aboard ! Its a great place to hang out and talk Rams. On Sean Hooey health issue...Saffold who may have one of the worse health resumes in the NFL is better than Hooey's who has never been able to remain on the field of play..

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

That's a hell of a first post!

Your take seems very much in line with what could be happening.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Here you go guys.....

I will bet you that when the season begins he will be nowhere close to being that 332 pounds but much bigger! The plan is for Saffold to be the starting ORG in a run dominated offense....that's what Saffold has been told.....expecting a very large massive OG like Saffold to go out and perform @ OLT like he did four yrs ago & handling those much lighter speed rushers may be asking a lot IMO. Big mistake putting Saffold back out there @ OT.

I dig the cut and paste info....but it is not always correct. I trust the words from Saffold's mouth, not even an official rams web site...If he said he played at 317 then that was his weight last year...

For example, Adam archuleta (listed at 215) next to aenas williams (200) was a joke...Williams was at least 10 pounds heavier....taller and beefier and more muscle...not here to battle, though;)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
That's a hell of a first post!

Your take seems very much in line with what could be happening.
Here you go guys.....

Welcome aboard ! Its a great place to hang out and talk Rams. On Sean Hooey health issue...Saffold who may have one of the worse health resumes in the NFL is better than Hooey's who has never been able to remain on the field of play..

I dig the cut and paste info....but it is not always correct. I trust the words from Saffold's mouth, not even an official rams web site...If he said he played at 317 then that was his weight last year...

For example, Adam archuleta (listed at 215) next to aenas williams (200) was a joke...Williams was at least 10 pounds heavier....taller and beefier and more muscle...not here to battle, though;)[/QUOTE]