Rams ok at receiver now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams4life

Every year since Holt retired the Rams have needed a #1 receiver. That hasn't changed. I really want to believe Quick and Givens can be the Rams starters, and while Givens proved to be a pretty solid #2, Quick is a total unknown.

That being said, IMO it is imperative for the Rams to get a true #1 receiver to take the next step. So to me that means no more rookies. A vet is the only way to go to be sure. So that means Wallace, Bowe or Jennings. The Rams were bidding up to 8 mil a year for Garcon, who is a solid receiver but not great IMO, so to me they will again attempt to get a big name.

The Rams may not have alot of money now, but players like Jackson, Harvey dahl, Q. Mikell and Wayne hunter are taking up roughly 26 million in cap space. Not saying all these guys will get cut, but the Rams have options. They already want to renegotiate Jackson. Maybe Dahl and Mikell will as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are we ok at WR? No. Do I think we have to overpay in FA? No. Am I objecting to us grabbing a #1 WR in FA? No. Do I think we could draft a WR? Yes. Do I think we have to draft a WR in the first round? No. Do I think we need a "#1" WR? Not necessarily. I think people get too hung up on labels.

I think a lot of people get pigeonholed into this idea that in order to be a #1 WR, you have to be tall and physically imposing. I'll say this much, if the Rams opted to draft DeAndre Hopkins or Markus Wheaton in the 2nd or Stedman Bailey in the 3rd, I would be quite happy. None of these guys are particularly big, Hopkins is 6'0" to 6'1" 205. Wheaton is 6'0" 190 and Bailey is 5'9" to 5'10" 195. But all have the ability to get consistent separation, all have reliable hands and all have the ability to develop into 1000+ yard WRs. Bailey reminds me of Derrick Mason in terms of physical skill-set and Steve Smith in terms of attitude. Wheaton actually reminds me of Torry Holt although he's less polished than Torry was coming out. Not sure who DeAndre reminds me of but he is a good route runner who gets separation and catches the ball well.

This is a very deep and strong WR draft. There are great options in Round 1, 2 and 3 that we could take and plug in pretty quickly. I'm excited to see what our plans are. I'll say this much, if our plans include Terrance Williams, Tavon Austin, Markus Wheaton, Hopkins, Stedman Bailey or Keenan Allen...I'll be very pleased.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
Are we ok at WR? No. Do I think we have to overpay in FA? No. Am I objecting to us grabbing a #1 WR in FA? No. Do I think we could draft a WR? Yes. Do I think we have to draft a WR in the first round? No. Do I think we need a "#1" WR? Not necessarily. I think people get too hung up on labels.

I think a lot of people get pigeonholed into this idea that in order to be a #1 WR, you have to be tall and physically imposing. I'll say this much, if the Rams opted to draft DeAndre Hopkins or Markus Wheaton in the 2nd or Stedman Bailey in the 3rd, I would be quite happy. None of these guys are particularly big, Hopkins is 6'0" to 6'1" 205. Wheaton is 6'0" 190 and Bailey is 5'9" to 5'10" 195. But all have the ability to get consistent separation, all have reliable hands and all have the ability to develop into 1000+ yard WRs. Bailey reminds me of Derrick Mason in terms of physical skill-set and Steve Smith in terms of attitude. Wheaton actually reminds me of Torry Holt although he's less polished than Torry was coming out. Not sure who DeAndre reminds me of but he is a good route runner who gets separation and catches the ball well.

This is a very deep and strong WR draft. There are great options in Round 1, 2 and 3 that we could take and plug in pretty quickly. I'm excited to see what our plans are. I'll say this much, if our plans include Terrance Williams, Tavon Austin, Markus Wheaton, Hopkins, Stedman Bailey or Keenan Allen...I'll be very pleased.
You're like my wife. You can turn one question into six. :sly:

I agree we don't have to have a huge, tall WR in order to tag him as a #1. It would help, considering the stature of the corners he'll be facing, but it's not necessary. Some of our best receivers in past years weren't particularly tall. Bruce, Holt, Clayton, Lloyd, Amendola, etc. I think Tavon would be an interesting gain if available. He immediately improves two units. Keenan would be nice too. Also nice would be Brian Quick taking a giant leap forward this year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I really believe that signing a FA WR that is a proven weapon in this league is an absolute necessity. Our offense in it's present state is handicapped. We have to be able to score much more on offense if we want to become a playoff caliber team.

Serious cash NEEDS to be spent on the WRs. ASAP

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Count me in the "we need a veteran wr" group. I wouldn't mind Miles Austin. He has good size, 6'2 and is very productive. Besides, I don't think there is anyway the Rams can afford Bowe, Wallace or Jennings.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Selassie I said:
I really believe that signing a FA WR that is a proven weapon in this league is an absolute necessity. Our offense in it's present state is handicapped. We have to be able to score much more on offense if we want to become a playoff caliber team.

Serious cash NEEDS to be spent on the WRs. ASAP

Where will this $$$ come from? Aside from major restructuring of contracts (or cuts), as mentioned above, the Rams are pretty limited cap wise.

Also, I am not sure there is a WR available that we should spend a ton of money on. Not a fan of Bowe, for a couple of reasons, one being that he has disappeared for LONG stretches during every one of his seasons in the NFL. Also, how motivated will that guy be after getting a big contract??

I like Jennings, but not sure he is worth over bidding for. Would he make our offense better? Sure, but how much better? People want to point to VJax going to TB as evidence that getting a "#1" is totally worth breaking the bank for, but how many games did TB win this year??

Would Schotty's offense even utilize a #1 the way some people think a #1 should be utilized? Hard to say. Its not like Santonio Holmes was lighting up the world in this offense. I would rather draft another weapon at TE, and hope and pray that Quick develops into a solid, possession WR that can beat the press and out muscle DBs down field for deep balls (ala Boldin). Too much to ask? Maybe, but I think this team can win without scoring 30 PPG. I would be happy with 24 PPG. With this defense, that should get us 10-11 wins IMO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Can't have it both ways guys.

Currently w/ Danny, Austin Pettis, Gibby, Quick, Givens, Steve Smith.

OK Smith being gone is a gimme.

But bringing in a vet to replace him doesn't do Quick any favors. So we get a high priced WR, he's pretty much gaurenteed a lot of playing time unless he got hurt or something. Quick wouldn't see the field much. And they didn't use the 1st pick in the 2nd roiund to see him sit and buried on the depth chart.

Unless they completely blow the WRs up by getting rid of Pettis, Gibby, or Smith and replacing them w/ say, a Miles Austin.

Danny, Miles Austin, Quick, Givens, Pettis/Gibby.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
Can't have it both ways guys.

Currently w/ Danny, Austin Pettis, Gibby, Quick, Givens, Steve Smith.

OK Smith being gone is a gimme.

But bringing in a vet to replace him doesn't do Quick any favors. So we get a high priced WR, he's pretty much gaurenteed a lot of playing time unless he got hurt or something. Quick wouldn't see the field much. And they didn't use the 1st pick in the 2nd roiund to see him sit and buried on the depth chart.

Unless they completely blow the WRs up by getting rid of Pettis, Gibby, or Smith and replacing them w/ say, a Miles Austin.

Danny, Miles Austin, Quick, Givens, Pettis/Gibby.

Miles Austin would be a great sign and find. He would be a big time player.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Cuts may have to be made elsewhere to free up the $ that will be needed. Its a tough business.

VJax in Tampa is one example ... so is Garcon in Washington (could have been even more if not injured),,, and those both happened last year.

I'm not claiming to know WHO the Rams need to sign at WR ,,, but the money can be , and NEEDS to be found if we aim to keep up with the rest of the league. Scoring 24 points per game ain't gonna happen with this current group alone. Additional talent and experience must be added.

I also like the idea of adding one of the 2 stud TEs in the draft.

BUT

We need a proven NFL WR who is capable of grabbing 100+ catches in a season in addition to Danny.

And again ,,, the money CAN be found. Its time.

F. Mulder

Starter
A few things:

Regarding freeing up money-this is the tough time but the time when a coaching staff proves its mettle IMO. Too often guys have been allowed to stay on the team who have not produced near what their salary value is. It will be interesting to see what Snead et al do with the likes of Danny A (resign), Jackson, QM, H Dahl etc. You either keep those guys because you feel some sense of loyalty (mistake IMO), you keep them because you think they are worth the money or are better than the alternatives, or you free space up in a tough cap environment.

Regarding WR- they will definitely have at least 2 new WR on the team next year. No way Smith is back and I think Gibby and Pettis are fighting for jobs and think Gibby may be the one gone due to Pettis' perceived red zone ability. I think you have Givens, Quick, Danny A (obviously assuming he's resigned), and maybe Pettis.

I think they go WR by rd 3 and sign a low-priced "up-and-comer" type for a low contract. Hell I'd look at teams like NO and GB who seem to have #6 WRs who are probably better than our top 4.

The two wildcards are if they fall in love with one of the TEs (the E brothers) and go for a NE type 2-headed monster, at which point they may only replace Smith either with a mid-round draft pick or a low-cost FA.

The second wildcard is being able to sign DA. If they don't/can't then you are for sure looking at 2 new WR even if they go TE.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
F. Mulder said:
A few things:

Regarding freeing up money-this is the tough time but the time when a coaching staff proves its mettle IMO. Too often guys have been allowed to stay on the team who have not produced near what their salary value is. It will be interesting to see what Snead et al do with the likes of Danny A (resign), Jackson, QM, H Dahl etc. You either keep those guys because you feel some sense of loyalty (mistake IMO), you keep them because you think they are worth the money or are better than the alternatives, or you free space up in a tough cap environment.

Regarding WR- they will definitely have at least 2 new WR on the team next year. No way Smith is back and I think Gibby and Pettis are fighting for jobs and think Gibby may be the one gone due to Pettis' perceived red zone ability. I think you have Givens, Quick, Danny A (obviously assuming he's resigned), and maybe Pettis.

I think they go WR by rd 3 and sign a low-priced "up-and-comer" type for a low contract. Hell I'd look at teams like NO and GB who seem to have #6 WRs who are probably better than our top 4.

The two wildcards are if they fall in love with one of the TEs (the E brothers) and go for a NE type 2-headed monster, at which point they may only replace Smith either with a mid-round draft pick or a low-cost FA.

The second wildcard is being able to sign DA. If they don't/can't then you are for sure looking at 2 new WR even if they go TE.

Mulder, you nailed it.

I don't know what to think, to be honest. I flip back and forth.

I can't see the Rams going in 2013 with just subtle offensive upgrades and/or hope that others break out. The offense is holding this team back - everyone knows this. WR is a glaring weakness.

If we were to cut Mikell or Dahl, when would those decisions be made?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone out there know Amendola's status? He's a great receiver when healthy. Of course he hasn't been that durable and I'm hoping off-season conditioning and exercise regimen will help. I hear he's a FA this year. Will he stay with the Rams? Sure hope so.

RamsForever

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamsForever said:
Anyone out there know Amendola's status? He's a great receiver when healthy. Of course he hasn't been that durable and I'm hoping off-season conditioning and exercise regimen will help. I hear he's a FA this year. Will he stay with the Rams? Sure hope so.

RamsForever
Last I heard, they were contemplating extending his contract. I don't know where they are on that now, particularly after the season he ended up with. We're on two consecutive years without him playing a full season of course, and maybe that's going to factor into things. I don't know that any special conditioning is going to make any difference. He plays like a big man, but he's a small man. Meaning, he's completely reckless with his body, and he sells out on every play. Which is GREAT if his body can withstand that. 2011's injury was a flat out fluke, and no fault of his own. This year was just getting banged up. I wouldn't want to be the person who tries to gauge his health over the course of a new contract. I don't know how you can do it.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I think the Rams could role out with the current set of WRs(minus Smith) and be OK. If another two WRs were brought in via the draft and FA, that's fine, too. However, I don't think any of the WRs aside from Gibson and Smith are that expendable. Right at this moment, I don't know what to think about Gibson because if he is just a depth WR, he'd be great in that role.

Resigning Amendola is a must. I liked what I saw from Givens this year in terms of progression. Saw flashes from Quick but hopefully he takes a big step next year. Pettis also progressed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lesson said:
I think the Rams could role out with the current set of WRs(minus Smith) and be OK. If another two WRs were brought in via the draft and FA, that's fine, too. However, I don't think any of the WRs aside from Gibson and Smith are that expendable. Right at this moment, I don't know what to think about Gibson because if he is just a depth WR, he'd be great in that role.

Resigning Amendola is a must. I liked what I saw from Givens this year in terms of progression. Saw flashes from Quick but hopefully he takes a big step next year. Pettis also progressed.

The problem I have with this; it's very possible the results 2013 = 2012. And... that's not acceptable.

Banking on improvement from Quick and Givens is a reasonable assumption, but I'm not betting the 2013 season on it. The Rams MUST invest at WR, again.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fisher & Snead flunked out big on their first attempt to bring in a veteran wide out in Steve Smith. Think he will give back his over 2 million $$ stolen from Rams cap bank in 2012 season? Most of the Ram history with those UFA 's turn out most every time as Super Sized Wasted Cap Money Big Big Gamble! We were screaming for a UFA safety several yrs back now we are still screaming for a UFA Safety ....wait we have one that will cost us 10 mil this season and were are considering releasing him due to cap $$ needs? Rams purchased two UFA's DT's last season one Laws was IR off the bat and Kendall Langford who Fisher paid 8 mil to play here in 2012 was considered by most Ram fans greatly underachieved overall. Rams bought a UFA Center paid him over 10 mil for his services in 2012 how well did that work out? Rams paid over 15 mil for Cortland Finnegan's services & I thought his game performances dropped off by mid season. Maybe I am way off here but that is a bunch of cap space.

I sure would be very careful on these big UFA signings that everyone is posting about looks like there were some serious chunks of priceless cap $$ going for players who were laying rotten egg on the field or in the whirlpool & training tables.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Lesson said:

The problem I have with this; it's very possible the results 2013 = 2012. And... that's not acceptable.

Banking on improvement from Quick and Givens is a reasonable assumption, but I'm not betting the 2013 season on it. The Rams MUST invest at WR, again.
i see this off season answering the question of our WR'ers..If Fisher/Snead think Quick and Givens can do the job, we're fine with just drafting a WR. We will know the answer to this question Draft Day, or sooner if thay go for a FA
train

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
The more I think about it, I think signing a big name WR (Bowe, Wallace, Jennings) would hinder what we can do elsewhere in free agency.

The reason this team is so tight on cap this year is because we have guys like Mikell and Dahl that are over 30 and overpaid. Smart, economical signings like Dunbar help the cap, as we are getting him at a bargain price. So instead of adding another big price tag to our cap for the next 4-5 years, I am on the boat of many who say draft a WR.

I wouldn't be pizzed if we got Bowe or Wallace, I just think we can take the money we could have used on them and sign 2-4 lesser free agents.

My ideal offseason position fixes would go like this:

WR: resign Danny & draft (Hopkins, D. Rogers, Allen, Patterson, Hunter, Williams, Bailey, and Wheaton)
S(2): free agency (Byrd, Moore, Quin, etc.) and restructure Mikell/draft
OG: draft (Warmack, Warford)
RT: draft or free agency
TE: free agency (Cook, Keller, Fasono, etc.)
OLB: draft or free agency
RB: restructure SJ and/or draft in mid rounds (3-5)

Lesson

Oh, really?
CGI_Ram said:
Lesson said:

We're on the same page here. I didn't specify previously what I meant by bringing in a WR. I meant a stud. If they could bring in someone better than Gibson, that's fine, I just think the #1 WR needs to be addressed making Gibson the low man on the totem pole and pushing Smith off.