Rams ok at receiver now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I can see some bidding erupting for the services of Brandon Gibson. For example, Shurmur could snap him up as a more reliable target in Carolina, there's always the inevitable purge of veterans in New England and he could land with the Pats, he made plays against the Seahawks and Bradley could snap him up in Jacksonville after Robinson flopped.

Point being, Gibby has shown the ability to make plays and I'd wager more teams are likely to take a risk on the up-and-comer than they would be to drop tens of millions on Bowe. He's definitely replaceable, but as some posters have pointed out, it leaves a huge void in the experience department which blows.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Warner4Prez said:
I can see some bidding erupting for the services of Brandon Gibson. For example, Shurmur could snap him up as a more reliable target in Carolina, there's always the inevitable purge of veterans in New England and he could land with the Pats, he made plays against the Seahawks and Bradley could snap him up in Jacksonville after Robinson flopped.

Point being, Gibby has shown the ability to make plays and I'd wager more teams are likely to take a risk on the up-and-comer than they would be to drop tens of millions on Bowe. He's definitely replaceable, but as some posters have pointed out, it leaves a huge void in the experience department which blows.

I'd wager against that. Bowe is going to get paid a whole lot more than Gibson and I doubt there will be much of a bidding eruption. Gibson is a pretty average WR.

I think the best Gibson will see is a deal similar to the one Avant got. 5 years around 15 million.

fearsomefour said:
I dont see the Rams drafting a WR. They have one of the better slot guys in the league, assuming Amendola resigns, they have their speed guy in Givens and a couple of solid possesion guys. A lot will ride on how Quick develops. He looked totally lost at times last year and early on at least couldnt hide that he was frustrated.

This class is thin at WR and if there is an elite guy he will be gone by #16. I dont see any real elite FA guys and the Rams wont have the money anyway after they resign their priority guys more than likely.

So, assuming Amendola and Gibson return the Rams will have one spot to fill in the WR corp, if they decide to go with six. I would expect a midlevel FA or a practice squad/late round draft pick kind of player. Adding a rookie WR that isent that top 10 pick elite guy means adding a polished guy (good route runner who is missing something else) or a speed guy who needs a lot of polish. We added that last year with Quick.

I dont think the biggest problem with the passing game is what the Rams are putting out there at WR at this point anyway. A full season and now offseason of these WRs working with Bradford and the same OC could do wonders. Remember, WR is one of the tougher positions to pickup in the NFL because of all the sight adjustments that have to happen and being on the same page as the QB.

Givens looks like a real play maker to me, Amendola is uncoverable in the slot (if he can stay on the field). The Rams are close at WR. The biggest question is can Quick grow into the roll the Rams envisioned....will Quick and Givens be a Irvin/Harper kind of combo or Givens and a big guy standing on the sidelines?

This WR class is a lot of things but "thin" is not one of them.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

Agreed. This class may not have a unanimous #1 guy or once in a generation talent, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have depth.

Simply put this draft may not have an A+ WR coming out, but it has a bunch of B guys.

fearsomefour

Legend
rams24/7 said:

Agreed. This class may not have a unanimous #1 guy or once in a generation talent, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have depth.

Simply put this draft may not have an A+ WR coming out, but it has a bunch of B guys.

That is what I meant by "thin". If we are talking about take a player in the top 20 of round 1, 16 in this years case with our first 1, that guy should be a difference maker/pro bowl sort of talent. I dont want to draft anyone at where the Rams are in the draft that they dont consider an A+ player. I would rather draft a lesser need spot and get an A player than fill a need with a B guy at that position. If there isent anyone that fits that description, trade down and draft two guys.
In order for the Rams to draft a wide receiver (after drafting Givens, Quick and Pettis the last two years) he would have to be a game changer and a guy they thought could dominate games....I dont see THAT guy in this class. "Thin" was probably a bad term to use. But, using the 16th pick for a guy who is a solid possession receiver or a big fast body that needs lots of coaching....no thanks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
fearsomefour said:
rams24/7 said:

That is what I meant by "thin". If we are talking about take a player in the top 20 of round 1, 16 in this years case with our first 1, that guy should be a difference maker/pro bowl sort of talent. I dont want to draft anyone at where the Rams are in the draft that they dont consider an A+ player. I would rather draft a lesser need spot and get an A player than fill a need with a B guy at that position. If there isent anyone that fits that description, trade down and draft two guys.
In order for the Rams to draft a wide receiver (after drafting Givens, Quick and Pettis the last two years) he would have to be a game changer and a guy they thought could dominate games....I dont see THAT guy in this class. "Thin" was probably a bad term to use. But, using the 16th pick for a guy who is a solid possession receiver or a big fast body that needs lots of coaching....no thanks.

Which is why I wouldn't go WR with our first pick. That all said, there are guys in this class that are Pro Bowl talents and have the ability to take over games. You don't have to be AJ Green or Calvin Johnson to do that.

I see a lot of guys in this class with #1 potential. I'll tell you this much, Terrance Williams of Baylor reminds me of Jimmy Smith of the Jaguars...and imo, strictly on play on the field, Smith should be a Hall of Famer. Markus Wheaton reminds me of Torry Holt although he's less polished than Holt was coming out.

Obviously, both those WRs were guys who could dominate games.

But that's exactly why I wouldn't go WR with our first pick. There's so much depth and talent jumbled together at the top that we'll have some great options available at #22, #48 and #80.