Rams ok at receiver now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
BonifayRam said:
Fisher & Snead flunked out big on their first attempt to bring in a veteran wide out in Steve Smith. Think he will give back his over 2 million $$ stolen from Rams cap bank in 2012 season? Most of the Ram history with those UFA 's turn out most every time as Super Sized Wasted Cap Money Big Big Gamble! We were screaming for a UFA safety several yrs back now we are still screaming for a UFA Safety ....wait we have one that will cost us 10 mil this season and were are considering releasing him due to cap $$ needs? Rams purchased two UFA's DT's last season one Laws was IR off the bat and Kendall Langford who Fisher paid 8 mil to play here in 2012 was considered by most Ram fans greatly underachieved overall. Rams bought a UFA Center paid him over 10 mil for his services in 2012 how well did that work out? Rams paid over 15 mil for Cortland Finnegan's services & I thought his game performances dropped off by mid season. Maybe I am way off here but that is a bunch of cap space.

I sure would be very careful on these big UFA signings that everyone is posting about looks like there were some serious chunks of priceless cap $$ going for players who were laying rotten egg on the field or in the whirlpool & training tables.
--First, I think some of your contract numbers are high. Besides, Demoff and Snead have already talked about preferring FA contracts to be front-loaded. Makes the decisions down the road easier.

--I don't think Fisher was expecting huge numbers from Smith, hence the low contract (which would have gone to another, underachieving WR), but yeah he was a disappointment. That Fisher kept him inactive for most of the games down the stretch was very revealing.

--We will see what happens with Mikell and his contract. I believe the Rams want him back.

--Langford started slow but improved in the latter half, much like Brockers did. For a player shifting from a 3-4 DE to a 4-3 DT that's not as bad as some would believe. Most of the defense underachieved in the first half of the season. I'm not gonna fault the Rams for signing a FA (Laws) that spent the year on IR after the god-awful injury-filled 2011. As it turned out, they didn't miss Laws.

--Wells was just one Olineman injured early. I prefer to look at the progress on the Oline at season's end.

--Finnegan certainly wasn't 100% by season's end, being listed as questionable and playing. Which is, in general, the state of most players by that time. And Finnegan's influence on the defense was more about the attitude adjustment he brought. Rams got their money's worth in that regard.

The largest rotten eggs left on the field were consistently left by a certain DB. 3 of these 5 will most certainly be back to fulfill their contracts this season. I'm just not worried about cap money like some. Maybe because of Demoff?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
BonifayRam said:
Fisher & Snead flunked out big on their first attempt to bring in a veteran wide out in Steve Smith. Think he will give back his over 2 million $$ stolen from Rams cap bank in 2012 season? Most of the Ram history with those UFA 's turn out most every time as Super Sized Wasted Cap Money Big Big Gamble! We were screaming for a UFA safety several yrs back now we are still screaming for a UFA Safety ....wait we have one that will cost us 10 mil this season and were are considering releasing him due to cap $$ needs? Rams purchased two UFA's DT's last season one Laws was IR off the bat and Kendall Langford who Fisher paid 8 mil to play here in 2012 was considered by most Ram fans greatly underachieved overall. Rams bought a UFA Center paid him over 10 mil for his services in 2012 how well did that work out? Rams paid over 15 mil for Cortland Finnegan's services & I thought his game performances dropped off by mid season. Maybe I am way off here but that is a bunch of cap space.

I sure would be very careful on these big UFA signings that everyone is posting about looks like there were some serious chunks of priceless cap $$ going for players who were laying rotten egg on the field or in the whirlpool & training tables.
--First, I think some of your contract numbers are high. Besides, Demoff and Snead have already talked about preferring FA contracts to be front-loaded. Makes the decisions down the road easier.

--I don't think Fisher was expecting huge numbers from Smith, hence the low contract (which would have gone to another, underachieving WR), but yeah he was a disappointment. That Fisher kept him inactive for most of the games down the stretch was very revealing.

--We will see what happens with Mikell and his contract. I believe the Rams want him back.

--Langford started slow but improved in the latter half, much like Brockers did. For a player shifting from a 3-4 DE to a 4-3 DT that's not as bad as some would believe. Most of the defense underachieved in the first half of the season. I'm not gonna fault the Rams for signing a FA (Laws) that spent the year on IR after the god-awful injury-filled 2011. As it turned out, they didn't miss Laws.

--Wells was just one Olineman injured early. I prefer to look at the progress on the Oline at season's end.

--Finnegan certainly wasn't 100% by season's end, being listed as questionable and playing. Which is, in general, the state of most players by that time. And Finnegan's influence on the defense was more about the attitude adjustment he brought. Rams got their money's worth in that regard.

The largest rotten eggs left on the field were consistently left by a certain DB. 3 of these 5 will most certainly be back to fulfill their contracts this season. I'm just not worried about cap money like some. Maybe because of Demoff?
We'll get to ask KD about this stuff next week. He's coming back for another visit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ram Quixote said:

I rechecked the figures and yes my figures on Wells was off his cost in 2012 was 7.5 mil of his 24 mil 4 yr contract, where I posted it was 10 mil. Sorry about that. The other figures look real close to whats out there. The Mikell contract was before Snead & Mikell base in 2013 is 6 mil but there is was a bit of that 14 million guaranteed money or the 4 mil signing bonus $$ somehow got pushed into the 2013 cap hit. I have read some said 10 mil others say 9 mil. I really have no ideal for-sure. as far as Fisher wanting Mikell with all that money still tied up in him and Stewart being a RFA with that bum knee plus the only other SS Matt Daniels tore up the same knee he had surgery on before the draft ACL tear.. want? or really no choice on that Mikell price tag IMO. If you have a real good source site for NFL/Ram player contracts would you be kind enough to share it with me? I like you worry too much about the cap money.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Quick, Givens and Pettus is all the WR the Rams have under control for next season. So no they're not okay.

F. Mulder

Starter
There will be 2 new WRs come next year. I expect one to come from the draft and one to come from a low-level FA type signing to replace Smith.

TE and DA are the wildcards. If they draft a top TE (one of the E twins) then that lessens the need for WR because it shows they will go 2-headed monster ala NE. If they ignore TE and go with what they have they will go for 2 new WR on the roster and Smith and either GIbson or Pettis will be gone.

The whole thing changes if they don't resign DA. Without DA they certainly go WR in the Draft high and maybe look for TE, if a top one is there.

I take it back, there are 2 wildcards: DA and SJ. Losing DA makes WR a priority and I think they go WR draft and WR FA. Losing SJ means they look at RB by round 3. IF they lose BOTH DA and SJ then who the hell knows. I'll need a few more drinks to figure THAT out. :sick:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Unless they get a monster free agent, I don't think we're going to see much more production if we add one via that avenue. Who out there, right now, is heads and shoulders above who we already have? Bowe? Meh. I dunno about all that. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that we have to add another beast of a TE and open up the offense THAT way. If Quick and Pettis make significant strides along with Givens, and Amendola stays healthy while Gibson assumes a reduced role (albeit an effective one), then we should be alright. Particularly since everyone will now be fully acclimated with the scheme.

And if they hit on a receiver they draft, then that's a bonus. Hopefully, it'll be two. Just stay the course, keep adding via the draft, and keep the system in place. It's not a popular view, or even a widely accepted view, but it's a valid view. The wildcard is having an offensive line that gives Bradford and the receivers time to run to the top of their routes. Everything becomes easier with a little bit of extra time in the pocket.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
Unless they get a monster free agent, I don't think we're going to see much more production if we add one via that avenue. Who out there, right now, is heads and shoulders above who we already have? Bowe? Meh. I dunno about all that. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that we have to add another beast of a TE and open up the offense THAT way. If Quick and Pettis make significant strides along with Givens, and Amendola stays healthy while Gibson assumes a reduced role (albeit an effective one), then we should be alright. Particularly since everyone will now be fully acclimated with the scheme.

And if they hit on a receiver they draft, then that's a bonus. Hopefully, it'll be two. Just stay the course, keep adding via the draft, and keep the system in place. It's not a popular view, or even a widely accepted view, but it's a valid view. The wildcard is having an offensive line that gives Bradford and the receivers time to run to the top of their routes. Everything becomes easier with a little bit of extra time in the pocket.

Personally;
Let Amendola walk if the dollars get silly. Reinvest...Sign Bowe. Draft one of the E boys.

Offense problem solved.

ZGare

UDFA
When the Rams won the Super Bowl, we had two first round draft pick wide receivers. Atlanta is close to going to the Super Bowl and they have two first round draft pick wide receivers. In fact they jumped over us in the draft to get Julio Jones just before we would have taken him.

If we want to make a run at the big boys and not be a sub .500 team, we need at least one, or better two, first round draft pick quality wide receivers. Someone that can get separation.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ZGare said:
When the Rams won the Super Bowl, we had two first round draft pick wide receivers. Atlanta is close to going to the Super Bowl and they have two first round draft pick wide receivers. In fact they jumped over us in the draft to get Julio Jones just before we would have taken him.

If we want to make a run at the big boys and not be a sub .500 team, we need at least one, or better two, first round draft pick quality wide receivers. Someone that can get separation.

I think you're reaching on this one. Green Bay is widely recognized to have the best WR corp in the NFL and they have 0 1st round WRs. The Patriots were the NFL's top offense this year and they have 0 1st round WRs.

What we need are good and great WRs...I agree. But I don't think that means we have to spend a 1st to get one. Just gotta be good at finding them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
ZGare said:

If we want to make a run at the big boys and not be a sub .500 team, we need at least one, or better two, first round draft pick [hil]quality[/hil] wide receivers. Someone that can get separation.

I think you're reaching on this one. Green Bay is widely recognized to have the best WR corp in the NFL and they have 0 1st round WRs. The Patriots were the NFL's top offense this year and they have 0 1st round WRs.

What we need are good and great WRs...I agree. But I don't think that means we have to spend a 1st to get one. Just gotta be good at finding them.
I agree with both of you. But .... check the highlighted portion up there, Jerruh.
I think he's just saying we need really good receivers, and you (as well as I) agree.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
jrry32 said:
ZGare said:

If we want to make a run at the big boys and not be a sub .500 team, we need at least one, or better two, first round draft pick [hil]quality[/hil] wide receivers. Someone that can get separation.

I agree with both of you. But .... check the highlighted portion up there, Jerruh.
I think he's just saying we need really good receivers, and you (as well as I) agree.

You're probably right, I might have misinterpreted what he was saying. If so, my mistake. I'm just saying, I'll be just fine if they don't go WR in Round 1...as long as they draft a WR that I like. :lol: :ww:

F. Mulder

Starter
I'm intrigued by several WRs who look to be available from rounds 1 to maybe late 2/early 3. I defer to the draftniks who spend a heckuva lot more time on this stuff than I do.

With that said, if we state that if Amendola is resigned he is probably the most polished NFL WR on the team. Givens made leaps and bounds through the year but is still learning the nuances to become a complete WR. Quick is a raw project who probably has the most ground to make up. Therefore, wouldn't it make more sense to look at drafting a WR who seems to be most NFL ready now?

For example Woods is generally regarded as one of the best route runners. There is some debate on whether he will only be a #2 type WR in the NFL or not but most agree he is an NFL starting type WR. What other current college WRs are more pro-ready now vs those who show that raw, undeveloped talent? I'm not saying I'd be against another "project" but if you get an NFL ready type WR who can come in and contribute it lessens the urgency of Quick developing and if Quick does develop you have a nice WR corp with a good slot guy in DA, an emerging WR with deep speed in Givens, a physical WR in Quick, and a solid/good route runner in someone like a Woods (or whoever else you think is on par as NFL ready).

Thoughts??

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
I will be disappointed in the Rams brass if they do not upgrade the wideout position. You cannot get better with a subpar offense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
F. Mulder said:
I'm intrigued by several WRs who look to be available from rounds 1 to maybe late 2/early 3. I defer to the draftniks who spend a heckuva lot more time on this stuff than I do.

With that said, if we state that if Amendola is resigned he is probably the most polished NFL WR on the team. Givens made leaps and bounds through the year but is still learning the nuances to become a complete WR. Quick is a raw project who probably has the most ground to make up. Therefore, wouldn't it make more sense to look at drafting a WR who seems to be most NFL ready now?

For example Woods is generally regarded as one of the best route runners. There is some debate on whether he will only be a #2 type WR in the NFL or not but most agree he is an NFL starting type WR. What other current college WRs are more pro-ready now vs those who show that raw, undeveloped talent? I'm not saying I'd be against another "project" but if you get an NFL ready type WR who can come in and contribute it lessens the urgency of Quick developing and if Quick does develop you have a nice WR corp with a good slot guy in DA, an emerging WR with deep speed in Givens, a physical WR in Quick, and a solid/good route runner in someone like a Woods (or whoever else you think is on par as NFL ready).

Thoughts??
Yes, that would make sense. Drafting a "NFL Ready" receiver, that is.

If there is such a thing. It's usually a pretty big leap from college to the pros for wide receivers. The competition is just so much better up here, and the playbook so much more complex. But I get what you're saying. We need someone who can perform comfortably in the short and intermediate parts of the field. We have our burner (Givens), and we have our possession/short yardage receiver (Amendola), but only Pettis and Gibson are our intermediate receivers at the moment. That could be upgraded, but we don't know how much better Pettis can be. Remember, 2011 probably set him back a little and he started to come on late in the season as a reliable redzone target. Quick is the wildcard. If he turns out to be everything Snead expects him to be, and he does it next year, then we're really not in bad shape. A year can make a ton of difference for an entire offense.

At any rate, they need to keep adding receivers every year. At least one, if not two, every single year.
That's been neglected for too long.

fearsomefour

Legend
I dont see the Rams drafting a WR. They have one of the better slot guys in the league, assuming Amendola resigns, they have their speed guy in Givens and a couple of solid possesion guys. A lot will ride on how Quick develops. He looked totally lost at times last year and early on at least couldnt hide that he was frustrated.

This class is thin at WR and if there is an elite guy he will be gone by #16. I dont see any real elite FA guys and the Rams wont have the money anyway after they resign their priority guys more than likely.

So, assuming Amendola and Gibson return the Rams will have one spot to fill in the WR corp, if they decide to go with six. I would expect a midlevel FA or a practice squad/late round draft pick kind of player. Adding a rookie WR that isent that top 10 pick elite guy means adding a polished guy (good route runner who is missing something else) or a speed guy who needs a lot of polish. We added that last year with Quick.

I dont think the biggest problem with the passing game is what the Rams are putting out there at WR at this point anyway. A full season and now offseason of these WRs working with Bradford and the same OC could do wonders. Remember, WR is one of the tougher positions to pickup in the NFL because of all the sight adjustments that have to happen and being on the same page as the QB.

Givens looks like a real play maker to me, Amendola is uncoverable in the slot (if he can stay on the field). The Rams are close at WR. The biggest question is can Quick grow into the roll the Rams envisioned....will Quick and Givens be a Irvin/Harper kind of combo or Givens and a big guy standing on the sidelines?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
I dont see the Rams drafting a WR. They have one of the better slot guys in the league, assuming Amendola resigns, they have their speed guy in Givens and a couple of solid possesion guys. A lot will ride on how Quick develops. He looked totally lost at times last year and early on at least couldnt hide that he was frustrated.

This class is thin at WR and if there is an elite guy he will be gone by #16. I dont see any real elite FA guys and the Rams wont have the money anyway after they resign their priority guys more than likely.

So, assuming Amendola and Gibson return the Rams will have one spot to fill in the WR corp, if they decide to go with six. I would expect a midlevel FA or a practice squad/late round draft pick kind of player. Adding a rookie WR that isent that top 10 pick elite guy means adding a polished guy (good route runner who is missing something else) or a speed guy who needs a lot of polish. We added that last year with Quick.

I dont think the biggest problem with the passing game is what the Rams are putting out there at WR at this point anyway. A full season and now offseason of these WRs working with Bradford and the same OC could do wonders. Remember, WR is one of the tougher positions to pickup in the NFL because of all the sight adjustments that have to happen and being on the same page as the QB.

Givens looks like a real play maker to me, Amendola is uncoverable in the slot (if he can stay on the field). The Rams are close at WR. The biggest question is can Quick grow into the roll the Rams envisioned....will Quick and Givens be a Irvin/Harper kind of combo or Givens and a big guy standing on the sidelines?
I endorse this post.

x-signature-pen-370x229.jpg

Ram_of_Old

Pretty simply, No. With the passing of each year without a top flight wideout, Sam becomes less and less the QB we all know he can be. If the front office does not put a threat out there in 2013, he may never develop like we know he should.

If has been demoralizing to see Sam's skills as they are reduced each year. My gosh, we have two first round and two second round picks! Please pick a threat for Sam!

Ram_of_Old

GreeneCounty said:
I will be disappointed in the Rams brass if they do not upgrade the wideout position. You cannot get better with a subpar offense.

If the Rams don't draft a top flight wideout in 2013, we will be arguing the same point next year. :neh:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not sure I'm in love with any WR in the first round this year. There are no Julio Jones - slam dunks. My opinion may change.

At the same time, I'm sorta sick of the inexperience.

If we sign a FA WR and draft a TE (and Quick develops) this offense becomes a whole lot stronger.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I really think we need to add one (or maybe two if the second doubles as a returner) more wide receiver via the draft and keep Amendola. I realize that Amendola's had injuries, but he's one of the best slot receivers in the league, and our offense looks completely different without him. And it's not like this class is bad; there may not be an overwhelming favorite like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Fitzgerald, Green, or Jones, but this is a very deep class that has a few guys who could be number one receivers in the NFL.

We could also stand to add another tight end, and it doesn't have to be Eifert or Ertz. There's guys in the third and fourth rounds that could compliment Kendricks very well.

You can never have too many weapons for a quarterback in the NFL; look at Green Bay and the way they've surrounded Rodgers with receivers, even when people have said that he didn't need any more.