1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams not going Oline in round 1?

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by Elmgrovegnome, Apr 10, 2014.

1. iced

iced Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $4,007,345.30
    Having trouble finding it - I do remember reading many times though they expected him to gain strength during the season. Did find this though from Turf show Times

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/4/6/5574088/draft-talk-thoughts-on-possible-rams-part-1

I have ran across a lot of things that claim the higher brass has faith in him:

http://www.rams-news.com/jim-thomas-rams-chat-highlights-march-11/
    http://www.rams-news.com/jim-thomas-rams-chat-highlights-march-18

2. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,206,651.48
    Nothing new there except except speculation that he wasn't strong enough. Like I said, that's no different than any other reason why a player isn't good enough to start. The talk about him being "red-shirted" is just hopeful thinking. As far as him competing for a starting job, so are Persons and Washington.

I'm 99.9% certain you won't find anything concrete about this.

Listen, I have hopes he'll be a starter too but it's not looking good so far.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Elmgrovegnome likes this.
  3. iced

iced Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $4,007,345.30
    i'm 100% confident that Fisher said it. Finding it is another animal together. I do remember reading it chats mostly and during the season (people were talking about the juggling of the guard positions/plus time we didn't have wells). TST also is a pretty reputable site for Rams news; they don't make up quotes, they're generally very credible
  4. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,206,651.48
    Let's say you do find something that says that, does it really change anything? A 4th round pick is competing for a starting position on the O-line along with others like Person and Washington. He had good college years in his career but we got him in the 4th round for a couple of reasons. One of them was a perceived lack of talent. He hasn't given us a single shred of hope that they weren't right.

We have a great coach in Bou and maybe he'll be much stronger this year and the combination of those two things will get him over the top. We're all hoping for that but you can't plan a draft on a hope. Or at least I wouldn't do that. :)
  5. iced

iced Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $4,007,345.30
    Not for me - I know I read it and I know its been said. Considering he had surgery less than 3 months before the season and it had been repeated, its not a surprise to read it.

Actually the injury was the biggest reason he fell - i almost remember either fisher or boudeau saying he never missed a blocking assignment the year before

Just like Keenan Allen fell after his knee injury - except keenan was considered widely to be one of the top wr 's in his class at that point in the season

Marcus Lattimore in the 4th to the niners - injury...

kinda similar situation to branon thomas - watch him go in the 4th/5th and take the year off to rehab and gain strength, if not contribute at the end of the season (at the earliest)
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  6. Memphis Ram

Memphis Ram Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $3,694,336.64
    Sorry, but I refuse to do homework assignments for anyone here. And especially on incomplete lists that change weekly (even though many merely copy from each other). BTW, you might want to consider that the positions listed can be different depending upon the source. ie. Some OTs can also be considered NFL OGs or even OCs and so on, by NFL teams and draftnik media.
  7. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,206,651.48
    Jones wasn't projected the top of anything. 3rd or 4th rated center. We disagree about why he fell to the 4th.

All of that is just clutter. Are you saying you're counting on Jones to be a starter this year? I assume you are because then what are we disagreeing about? :LOL:

Cause I'm not counting on him at all. Hoping though. Do that's where we really disagree. We'll see how it turns out.
  8. iced

iced Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $4,007,345.30
    I'm not - but you're assuming that he had a shot to make the roster or was competing for the guard/center job when that's just not true.

What am I saying is when a guy falls to injury and its a fresh one - you can't expect him to start or contribute immediately. I edited this in my last post too late but i'll say it again here:

kinda similar situation to brandon thomas - watch him go in the 4th/5th and take the year off to rehab and gain strength, if not contribute at the end of the season (at the earliest).. and hes widely considered one of the top 5 guards (usually about 3rd)
  9. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,206,651.48
    I've never seen a list of top prospects where the position listed for a player wasn't the position he played in college. Who does that, if you don't mind my asking?
  10. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,206,651.48
    But he did have a shot and he was competing in practice. He wasn't just lifting weights and riding an exercise bike or something. Are you saying he wasn't practicing every day with the rest of the Rams? If so, that's the first time I've heard that said and I seem to remember hearing camp reports about him too.

What you said about Thomas and what you're saying about Jones could happen. No doubt about that but it's just your projection and hope that it actually will happen. He's not a proven commodity that you know can play in the NFL. Until I know that, I'm not going to plan my offseason around him any more than I would around a player like Persons. Except that I have more hope that Jones will someday be good enough to start.
    rhinobean likes this.
  11. Mojo Ram

Mojo Ram On double secret probation

Credit:
    $3,018,695.77
    Name:
    mojo
    I like the idea of Saffold pulling from the right side while Robinson down blocks the entire left side of the DLine. :D
    Alan likes this.
  12. Mojo Ram

Credit:
    $3,018,695.77
    Name:
    mojo
    Jake Long
    Greg Robinson
    Scott Wells
    Rodger Saffold
    Joe Barksdale
    [​IMG]
  13. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,206,651.48
  14. laramsoriginal

laramsoriginal Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $996,654.42
    With B.Jones and Barnes capable of playing C, rams should cut wells. Absolutely no need to bring back an aging and often injured-high priced C
  15. Mojo Ram

Credit:
    $3,018,695.77
    Name:
    mojo
    I agree but unfortunately he's still here and he'll start until he gets hurt again.
    laramsoriginal likes this.
  16. Mojo Ram

Credit:
    $3,018,695.77
    Name:
    mojo
    At least it's not a torch.
  17. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,206,651.48
    As soon as I finish sharpening my pitchfork I'm gonna pick one up. Plus find my lighter.
  18. Ram Quixote

Ram Quixote Knight Errant

Credit:
    $2,595,191.23
    Name:
    Tim
    Jones was rated much higher, before the foot injury. He not only played through the injury in the BCS Champ game, but was a 4-year starter at virtually every position on the Oline. I remember him being a possible 2nd round pick until the injury. There is talent there, but obviously he'll have to prove it to you.
  19. Elmgrovegnome

Elmgrovegnome Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $3,475,389.43
    Has to prove it to me too. I felt he was versatile but really benefitted from being surrounded by a great group in college. On a bad team he wouldn't stand out.
    Alan likes this.
  20. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Credit:
    $2,206,651.48
    I remember it differently. His injury wasn't the reason his ratings slid IMO. I think that's hindsight memory. If there is such a thing. :LOL:

Obviously, all these profiles also have a lot of good stuff about him that I didn't post but I posted his weaknesses because it's illustrative of why it wasn't his injury that caused his low ranking. In my opinion, he benefited greatly from a fantastic O-line at Alabama and is simply one of many college players whose game doesn't transfer to the NFL. Like many of the highly rated Bama players who haven't done well in the pros. It's a reason why I'm worried ( along with many others) about picking Ha-Ha even though I hope we do.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632207/barrett-jones
    WEAKNESSES: Doesn't blow defenders off the ball with pure strength. Not a flashy athlete and may struggle to excel at the NFL level.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/barrett-jones?id=2539195
    WEAKNESSES
    Limited athlete who will be at his best on the inside at the next level. Tends to stop his feet and lunge at pass rushers on the edge. Top-heavy, upright runner on pulls without great foot speed. Gets to the second level well, but can struggle tracking and adjusting to moving targets. Quicker linebackers and defensive backs jump around his lunges if he is unable to get his hands on their numbers. Inconsistent firing out of his stance and staying low on short-yardage plays. Hand placement improved in his senior season, but he has soft hands with a limp punch. Doesn’t play with a mean streak. Can get complacent and will fight for initial position, but doesn’t finish blocks and allows his man to disengage too often. Prone to making his initial block and then ball-watching instead of finding a second target. Has a lengthy injury history (but shows the toughness to play through them) and will need to check out medically.
    NFL COMPARISON
    Daryn Colledge
    Only a 71.1 Grade. That equates to a 4th rounder. he was drafted exactly where he was rated.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013bjones.php
    Weaknesses:
    • Not the best athlete
    • Not overly strong
    • Not overly fast?
    • Coming off foot injury
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83261&draftyear=2013&genpos=C
    Here's evidence he was competing for a starting job:
    • 12/11/13 - C Barrett Jones was believed to have not played Sunday in his first NFL game active. However, the tape revealed Jones played one snap on special teams.
      12/09/13 - C Barrett Jones, the Rams' fourth-round draft pick, was active for his first NFL game against Arizona, but did not play. With C Scott Wells out with a fractured fibula and Tim Barnes starting, Jones was the backup center.
      07/31/13 - C/G Barrett Jones opened training camp on the non-football injury list because of a foot injury suffered in the SEC Championship Game for Alabama. He passed his physical Sunday, and had significant reps at center with the second and third units Monday.

Jones would not have been practicing had he still been injured. He competed for a starting job and failed. Not only did he fail to get a starting job, he failed to supplant any of our other backups too. Third team all year long until the Arizona game when he jumped up to second team. Some might say that he wasn't able to work out in the time between his surgery and the start of TC and that is very possibly true but that just amplified one of his weaknesses (lack of strength).

He'll have another chance to compete this year and hopefully things will work out better for him and us this time. But If we draft a decent G I think he'll still be a backup. He doesn't need to prove it to me Quixote, he needs to prove it to the Rams braintrust.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Mojo Ram and rhinobean like this.