Rams need a quality wideout in the first round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I agree that the Rams are in need of better receivers, but NOT that we need one in the first round.
I have come to view this coaching staff as being the best we've had since the GSOT days and that we can NOW afford to draft best athletes and expect the coaches to fill needs.
We've struggled to get over the hump by taking lower rated players because we needed the position.
Elite players make elite teams ,keep building with the elite athletes, just like WHY we signed Long.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
images
images

He does compare favorably to this guy. Mighty has him in the upper body, but Austin clearly has longer legs. Makes sense, one flies, and one runs really fast.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
images
images

He does compare favorably to this guy. Mighty has him in the upper body, but Austin clearly has longer legs. Makes sense, one flies, and one runs really fast.

All right, you've sold me. I want Tavon Austin now.

:cheese:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Thordaddy said:
I agree that the Rams are in need of better receivers, but NOT that we need one in the first round.
I have come to view this coaching staff as being the best we've had since the GSOT days and that we can NOW afford to draft best athletes and expect the coaches to fill needs.
We've struggled to get over the hump by taking lower rated players because we needed the position.
Elite players make elite teams ,keep building with the elite athletes, just like WHY we signed Long.

Agreed Ive said it before and ill say it again

16 bpa
22bpa

Then 2nd rd go wr

However I wouldnt mind taking Austin or Patterson with 16 if there still available

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
Why will he not be able to work against the more physical corners? Can Percy Harvin not work against them? How about Danny Amendola? How about Wes Welker? How about Marvin Harrison? How about Isaac Bruce? While Harrison and Bruce were around 6'0", they were extremely skinny. They found a way to make it work. How do you counter size and physicality? Speed and agility.
I was purely commenting on some of his weaknesses, I know some of you guys don't think he has any, but you've got to take the good with the bad - he's not flawless - and IMO I think he'll have more struggles stepping up. He may not, but IMO I think he will.

jrry32 said:
You've often seen him not make a catch if there's a safety bearing down on him? I'm gonna have to see evidence of this or if that's not possible, can you cite games where it happened? I'm sure it's something that's happened before, you can say that with any WR, but I'm thinking often is a stretch.

I'm basing my comments purely on tapes I've seen and the feedback I've read from Scouts at the Combine - I'll see if I can find the clips..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
shaunpinney said:
I was purely commenting on some of his weaknesses, I know some of you guys don't think he has any, but you've got to take the good with the bad - he's not flawless - and IMO I think he'll have more struggles stepping up. He may not, but IMO I think he will.

I don't think there's a person here who will say he's flawless. The disconnect is on the connection of the dots. I think most if not all of us would agree on his flaws. But the disagreement comes when people say that because of this flaw, he can't do ____ or he can do ____. Ehhhh...no...it's not that black and white.

Did that make any sort of sense? :lol:

duckhunter

Starter
Rabid Ram said:
duckhunter said:
Rabid Ram said:
bwdenverram said:
PressureD41 said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDb79EAePss[/youtube]

I do like Cook, but that was, I believe, the one and only play he had of that length. Not to say he's not capable of it, but watch Austin highlights. You'll see these all over the place.

But it's cool if he's not your thing. I just want some firepower, however that has to happen.

As I said you really cant compare the 2 cook plays pro Austin is NCAA defense are way more complicated in the NFL.

Also NCAA spread offenses just dont work the same as a NFL offense.

Cooks o cord in tennesee utlizes his te's as blockers first and short yardage routes for the most part next. Austin was utelized as a wr more options givin for better yards and pretty highlights.

I like Austin and wouldnt be upset if we,drafted him. BUT lets not crown him the next big thing before we even see how he transitions to thr next lvl and performs "see Ryan leaf"

Well, that's certainly calling the kettle black. I've seen that a couple times in this thread. You can tear the guy down and say "performs like Ryan Leaf" but the rest of us twits are crowning him the next big thing if we say something positive.

I was not comparing anyone to leaf I was saying look what happens when you automaticly assume a player will be a star in the NFL before he plays in the NFL

I think you are reading to much into peoples posts. I have on several occasions talked about drafting Austin on the board im all for it.

Nor have I anywhere called anyone wanting to draft Austin a twit. Its just draft talk my man take the emotion out of it and let other people share and disagree with your opinion.

Yeah, I've noticed that you have had comments both for and against. Mea Culpa.
No prospect deserves that comparison prior to playing a down of football.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
shaunpinney said:

I don't think there's a person here who will say he's flawless. The disconnect is on the connection of the dots. I think most if not all of us would agree on his flaws. But the disagreement comes when people say that because of this flaw, he can't do ____ or he can do ____. Ehhhh...no...it's not that black and white.

Did that make any sort of sense? :lol:

Yeh I think so... :huh:

In all honesty we can't guess / guarantee how ANY of the draft picks will work out at NFL level, so we're all second guessing here. I just have my reservations on him, and I'd hate to see him run East to West like he does in college, looking for the big run only to find a big hit!

I know he'd be an interesting pickup for the Rams, and if we do select him I hope the kid does well, but I don't see him falling our way

duckhunter

Starter
Vermeil had the best take: The kids are both prospects and suspects. Hard to figure which one they are since they are coached so well by their agents.

nighttrain

Legend
duckhunter said:
Vermeil had the best take: The kids are both prospects and suspects. Hard to figure which one they are since they are coached so well by their agents.
Fisher & Snead were a very good combo last year, Better than Vermiel and Ziggy?,

C"mon man, Ziggy was a freaking anchor around a HC's neck
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
FWIW...

(Justin) Hunter dropped 12.1% of his passes while other prospects like Cordarrelle Patterson from Tennessee (4.2%), Keenan Allen from Cal (4.7%) and Terrance Williams from Baylor (5.8%) were substantially better.

<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2013/03/nfl-draft-five-potential-texans-targets-within-the-first-two-rounds-version-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2 ... version-1/</a>

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Funny to see some of us bickering over Austin...I love it. As you all know, I am kinda queer for the kid, so I tend to focus on his strengths and not as much on his perceived weaknesses. So far, the only weakness that I have seen mentioned, or at least substantiated, is his size. My opinion is that this is one small player that uses his stature to his advantage whenever possible. His ability ALLOWS him to do this. Some other smaller guys, with LESS ability are less able to take advantages of their speed.

Obviously, no one knows how any of these guys will do at the next level. It is all speculation from a bunch of internet GM, I get it. But to compare Austin to Cook seems silly to me. To be clear, Cook really has not accomplished much in his young pro career to date. So lets compare his college stats to Tavon's shall we:

BTW, these are only Tavon's RECEIVING stats:

Jared Cook:
2006-2008 (3 yrs)
Rec = 73
Yds = 1107
Avg = 15.2
TDs = 7

Tavon Austin:
2009-2012 (4 yrs)
Rec = 288
Yds = 3413
Avg = 11.7
TDs = 29

His rushing stats are pretty decent too in case anyone forgot:

Att = 108
Yds = 1031
Avg = 9.7!!!

I hear people talk about how Cook was "under utilized" in TEN and that he has the "potential" to be a big time TE/WR. Well, I feel the same way about Austin. He has the "potential" to be a BIG time playmaker at the next level. That is the only comparison I would make between the two. Time will tell.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
Funny to see some of us bickering over Austin...I love it. As you all know, I am kinda queer for the kid, so I tend to focus on his strengths and not as much on his perceived weaknesses. So far, the only weakness that I have seen mentioned, or at least substantiated, is his size. My opinion is that this is one small player that uses his stature to his advantage whenever possible. His ability ALLOWS him to do this. Some other smaller guys, with LESS ability are less able to take advantages of their speed.

Obviously, no one knows how any of these guys will do at the next level. It is all speculation from a bunch of internet GM, I get it. But to compare Austin to Cook seems silly to me. To be clear, Cook really has not accomplished much in his young pro career to date. So lets compare his college stats to Tavon's shall we:

Jared Cook:
2006-2008 (3 yrs)
Rec = 73
Yds = 1107
Avg = 15.2
TDs = 7

Tavon Austin:
2009-2012 (4 yrs)
Rec = 288
Yds = 3413
Avg = 11.7
TDs = 29

I hear people talk about how Cook was "under utilized" in TEN and that he has the "potential" to be a big time TE/WR. Well, I feel the same way about Austin. He has the "potential" to be a BIG time playmaker at the next level. That is the only comparison I would make between the two. Time will tell.....
I hope they take him (if he falls to them), but in the mean-time, I'm gonna play antagonist and devil's advocate.
Because it's fun.

Some other sub-6'0" receivers.

Jarrett Dillard

Rec = 292
Yds = 4138
Avg =14.2
TDs = 60

Ryan Broyles

Rec = 349
Yds = 4586
Avg = 13.1
TDs = 45

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The Dude said:
Faceplant said:

Jared Cook:
2006-2008 (3 yrs)
Rec = 73
Yds = 1107
Avg = 15.2
TDs = 7

Tavon Austin:
2009-2012 (4 yrs)
Rec = 288
Yds = 3413
Avg = 11.7
TDs = 29

I hope they take him (if he falls to them), but in the mean-time, I'm gonna play antagonist and devil's advocate.
Because it's fun.

Some other sub-6'0" receivers.

Jarrett Dillard

Rec = 292
Yds = 4138
Avg =14.2
TDs = 60

Ryan Broyles

Rec = 349
Yds = 4586
Avg = 13.1
TDs = 45

You son of a......

OK, but do you really see them as equals? Do ya???

duckhunter

Starter
nighttrain said:
duckhunter said:
Fisher & Snead were a very good combo last year, Better than Vermiel and Ziggy?,

train
My comment was kinda another way of saying what shaunpenny said. We don't know how any of these guys will really work out once they get to the NFL. They may seem like a sure thing and still fall flat through injury or whatever. Vermeil called them suspects because they were suspect to do anything at the NFL level. Probably should have linked it.

Had nothing to do Fisher or Snead or Ziggy.

Just refer to me as The Great Miscommunicator in the future please.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
duckhunter said:
nighttrain said:
duckhunter said:

train
My comment was kinda another way of saying what shaunpenny said. We don't know how any of these guys will really work out once they get to the NFL. They may seem like a sure thing and still fall flat through injury or whatever. Vermeil called them suspects because they were suspect to do anything at the NFL level. Probably should have linked it.

That would be an awsome screen name lol

duckhunter

Starter
Rabid Ram said:
duckhunter said:
nighttrain said:
duckhunter said:

train

That would be an awsome screen name lol

I'll try it for a week or month on my youngest grandkids who are 9 and 13. They think grandpa is nuts anyway and will have fun with it once they figure it out.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Rams better draft a wideout. Givens is gonna be good but he cannot do it all. Quick as a project must end next year. He must produce.

duckhunter

Starter
GreeneCounty said:
Rams better draft a wideout. Givens is gonna be good but he cannot do it all. Quick as a project must end next year. He must produce.

Breaker, Breaker, Good Buddy. 10-4 on the "He must produce."

Lesson

Oh, really?
While I think a WR is a definite need on this team, is it one of the top 2 needs?

My head says no, heart says yes.

I'd think a S and OLB are two greater areas of need. I could be able to have my opinion changed about S if either Daniels or McLeod developed into starting caliber.

Aside from Dunbar, who else is a starting caliber OLB?

While I'd love to see a WR taken early in the draft, I don't think it's the greatest area of need.