1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams need a quality wideout in the first round

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by Ram_of_Old, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Thordaddy Binding you with ancient logic

I agree that the Rams are in need of better receivers, but NOT that we need one in the first round.
    I have come to view this coaching staff as being the best we've had since the GSOT days and that we can NOW afford to draft best athletes and expect the coaches to fill needs.
    We've struggled to get over the hump by taking lower rated players because we needed the position.
    Elite players make elite teams ,keep building with the elite athletes, just like WHY we signed Long.

2. DR RAM Rams Lifer

[​IMG][​IMG]
    He does compare favorably to this guy. Mighty has him in the upper body, but Austin clearly has longer legs. Makes sense, one flies, and one runs really fast.

3. Memento Ser Memento (alias, The Winged Knight).

All right, you've sold me. I want Tavon Austin now.

:cheese:

4. Rabid Ram Well-Known Member

Agreed Ive said it before and ill say it again

16 bpa
    22bpa

Then 2nd rd go wr

However I wouldnt mind taking Austin or Patterson with 16 if there still available

5. shaunpinney Well-Known Member

I was purely commenting on some of his weaknesses, I know some of you guys don't think he has any, but you've got to take the good with the bad - he's not flawless - and IMO I think he'll have more struggles stepping up. He may not, but IMO I think he will.

I'm basing my comments purely on tapes I've seen and the feedback I've read from Scouts at the Combine - I'll see if I can find the clips..

6. jrry32 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a person here who will say he's flawless. The disconnect is on the connection of the dots. I think most if not all of us would agree on his flaws. But the disagreement comes when people say that because of this flaw, he can't do ____ or he can do ____. Ehhhh...no...it's not that black and white.

Did that make any sort of sense? :lol:

7. duckhunter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've noticed that you have had comments both for and against. Mea Culpa.
    No prospect deserves that comparison prior to playing a down of football.

8. shaunpinney Well-Known Member

Yeh I think so... :huh:

In all honesty we can't guess / guarantee how ANY of the draft picks will work out at NFL level, so we're all second guessing here. I just have my reservations on him, and I'd hate to see him run East to West like he does in college, looking for the big run only to find a big hit!

I know he'd be an interesting pickup for the Rams, and if we do select him I hope the kid does well, but I don't see him falling our way

9. duckhunter Well-Known Member

Vermeil had the best take: The kids are both prospects and suspects. Hard to figure which one they are since they are coached so well by their agents.

10. nighttrain Well-Known Member

Fisher & Snead were a very good combo last year, Better than Vermiel and Ziggy?,

C"mon man, Ziggy was a freaking anchor around a HC's neck
    train

11. -X- I'm the dude, man.

FWIW...

(Justin) Hunter dropped 12.1% of his passes while other prospects like Cordarrelle Patterson from Tennessee (4.2%), Keenan Allen from Cal (4.7%) and Terrance Williams from Baylor (5.8%) were substantially better.

<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2013/03/nfl-draft-five-potential-texans-targets-within-the-first-two-rounds-version-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2 ... version-1/</a>

12. Faceplant Well-Known Member

Funny to see some of us bickering over Austin...I love it. As you all know, I am kinda queer for the kid, so I tend to focus on his strengths and not as much on his perceived weaknesses. So far, the only weakness that I have seen mentioned, or at least substantiated, is his size. My opinion is that this is one small player that uses his stature to his advantage whenever possible. His ability ALLOWS him to do this. Some other smaller guys, with LESS ability are less able to take advantages of their speed.

Obviously, no one knows how any of these guys will do at the next level. It is all speculation from a bunch of internet GM, I get it. But to compare Austin to Cook seems silly to me. To be clear, Cook really has not accomplished much in his young pro career to date. So lets compare his college stats to Tavon's shall we:

BTW, these are only Tavon's RECEIVING stats:

Jared Cook:
    2006-2008 (3 yrs)
    Rec = 73
    Yds = 1107
    Avg = 15.2
    TDs = 7

Tavon Austin:
    2009-2012 (4 yrs)
    Rec = 288
    Yds = 3413
    Avg = 11.7
    TDs = 29

His rushing stats are pretty decent too in case anyone forgot:

Att = 108
    Yds = 1031
    Avg = 9.7!!!

I hear people talk about how Cook was "under utilized" in TEN and that he has the "potential" to be a big time TE/WR. Well, I feel the same way about Austin. He has the "potential" to be a BIG time playmaker at the next level. That is the only comparison I would make between the two. Time will tell.....

13. -X- I'm the dude, man.

I hope they take him (if he falls to them), but in the mean-time, I'm gonna play antagonist and devil's advocate.
    Because it's fun.

Some other sub-6'0" receivers.

Jarrett Dillard

Rec = 292
    Yds = 4138
    Avg =14.2
    TDs = 60

Ryan Broyles

Rec = 349
    Yds = 4586
    Avg = 13.1
    TDs = 45

14. Faceplant Well-Known Member

You son of a......

OK, but do you really see them as equals? Do ya???

15. duckhunter Well-Known Member

My comment was kinda another way of saying what shaunpenny said. We don't know how any of these guys will really work out once they get to the NFL. They may seem like a sure thing and still fall flat through injury or whatever. Vermeil called them suspects because they were suspect to do anything at the NFL level. Probably should have linked it.

Had nothing to do Fisher or Snead or Ziggy.

Just refer to me as The Great Miscommunicator in the future please.

16. Rabid Ram Well-Known Member

That would be an awsome screen name lol

17. duckhunter Well-Known Member

I'll try it for a week or month on my youngest grandkids who are 9 and 13. They think grandpa is nuts anyway and will have fun with it once they figure it out.

18. GreeneCounty Well-Known Member

Rams better draft a wideout. Givens is gonna be good but he cannot do it all. Quick as a project must end next year. He must produce.

19. duckhunter Well-Known Member

Breaker, Breaker, Good Buddy. 10-4 on the "He must produce."

20. Lesson Well-Known Member

While I think a WR is a definite need on this team, is it one of the top 2 needs?

My head says no, heart says yes.

I'd think a S and OLB are two greater areas of need. I could be able to have my opinion changed about S if either Daniels or McLeod developed into starting caliber.

Aside from Dunbar, who else is a starting caliber OLB?

While I'd love to see a WR taken early in the draft, I don't think it's the greatest area of need.