Rams need a quality wideout in the first round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_of_Old

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000152445/Draft-war-room-Saints?continuous=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap ... nuous=true</a>

We cannot allow Sam to go another year without one.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I believe we already have 3 in Quick, Givens and Pettis...4 if ya wanna count Cook in there. :ww:

We ala Bradford and Schotty just need that one special and multi dynamic 'playmaker' to throw into the mix as the consensus seem to agree on that Tavon Austin "kid".

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
BatteringRambo said:
I believe we already have 3 in Quick, Givens and Pettis...4 if ya wanna count Cook in there. :ww:

We ala Bradford and Schotty just need that one special and multi dynamic 'playmaker' to throw into the mix as the consensus seem to agree on that Tavon Austin "kid".

I won't mind Tavon Austin if Brian Quick really develops. Taking Tavon will say alot about Brian Quick's future (that's a good thing BTW)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Cook.plays in the slot... basically eliminates the place Austin would line-up.

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
BatteringRambo said:

I hope you are right, but time will tell.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Why do most people, including myself, believe Quick will have a good year? Just blind optimism, or is it faith that the front office let our other WRs go away because we still have a solid core group?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Selassie I said:
Cook.plays in the slot... basically eliminates the place Austin would line-up.[/quo

I really have a hard time agreeing with this Selassie. Cook can line up in different spots, as can Austin. Austin is more of an all puporse type of receiver in my mind. I don't see how you pass up on that type of talent, similar or not. Would you pass on him ?

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Ok is it just me or is the link for the New Orleans Saints?

:what:

jap

Legend
Selassie I said:

Austin is not just a slot guy. He can line up in multiple places, causing mismatches.

nighttrain

Legend
BatteringRambo said:

five with Kendricks, he showed up last season...mix in Tavon, and we may well shook the league
train

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
bwdenverram said:
Selassie I said:
Cook.plays in the slot... basically eliminates the place Austin would line-up.[/quo

I really have a hard time agreeing with this Selassie. Cook can line up in different spots, as can Austin. Austin is more of an all puporse type of receiver in my mind. I don't see how you pass up on that type of talent, similar or not. Would you pass on him ?

Well from what I've read about this, Austin is a slot guy. Maybe our football minds think he can line-up on the outside, but I don't know.

Cook is our replacement for Danny in the slot. Do we need another slot guy??? I tend to think maybe not.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Selassie I said:
bwdenverram said:
Selassie I said:

Well from what I've read about this, Austin is a slot guy. Maybe our football minds think he can line-up on the outside, but I don't know.

Cook is our replacement for Danny in the slot. Do we need another slot guy??? I tend to think maybe not.

I understand what your saying. I'm not arguing Austin isn't a slot guy. I do think he brings more than just that. He is also a very good PR and KR guy. He brings way more than just a "slot" receiver thing. I don't proclaim to be an expert on Cook, but won't he line up in the normal TE spot as well? I guess I'm just under the mind set that we need weapons, period. I wouldn't pass up Austin regardless of Cook. They will and can be used in many different ways and formations. JMO.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If I was better at posting articles , I'd post Wagner's chat here.

After reading his most recent chat... my thoughts on having Cook and Austin are now in doubt. Check it out. Very compelling .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Selassie I said:
If I was better at posting articles , I'd post Wagner's chat here.

After reading his most recent chat... my thoughts on having Cook and Austin are now in doubt. Check it out. Very compelling .

While I understand the point, if they are high on Austin, that won't stop them from taking him. Patriots made Hernandez and Welker work quite well. The Titans even managed to make Cook and Kendall Wright work when they used Cook.

If anything, you'd likely see Kendricks be the one come off the field and see Cook and Austin both in slot roles.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Selassie I said:
Read the Wagner chat and see if you feel the same.

I did prior to making my post. :ww:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Selassie I said:

People in the Austin camp need to realize this. Cook is our slot WR!
I say take DT or OG or FS @ 16 then trade down w/ a QB needy team and target a wr perhaps Justin Hunter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PressureD41 said:
Selassie I said:

People in the Austin camp need to realize this. Cook is our slot WR!
I say take DT or OG or FS @ 16 then trade down w/ a QB needy team and target a wr perhaps Justin Hunter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that's the case, but not a lot of people are willing to concede that we're done shopping for slot receivers. Part of the disconnect, I think, is that Cook is really a TE. He played all 16 games as a TE for Tennessee, so why would he now be a slot guy? And he's about twice the height and weight as Amendola, so why would we expect Cook to provide the same things Amendola did?

Easy.

Fisher/Schottenheimer don't want another Amendola. They probably want a couple more Cooks and Quicks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speaking solely for myself, that's not really the disconnect I'm having. I just don't believe that they're as rigid on roles as some here think.

Cook can be on the field at the same time as another slot WR. Austin isn't a guy who is limited to the slot. Amendola played Flanker and Slot for us in 2012.(Flanker in 2 WR sets and Slot in 3+ WR sets) Austin is less limited than Amendola because he has the speed to challenge teams deep.

So for me, saying Cook will be used as a slot WR doesn't preclude them from taking a guy like Austin in my mind. As I said before, the Patriots managed to use both Hernandez and Welker in the slot quite effectively.

Here you see that Cook is in the slot with another WR:
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDb79EAePss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDb79EAePss</a>

For me, the question isn't Cook...it's Kendricks. He'd be the one leaving the field for the slot WR likely.

I think it's give us a lot more flexibility and makes our passing game tough to match-up to. You put Cook, Austin, Givens and Quick(or another WR) out on the field at the same time...how many teams have the athletes to match-up with all those bodies in man coverage?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
Speaking solely for myself, that's not really the disconnect I'm having. [hil]I just don't believe that they're as rigid on roles as some here think.[/hil]

Cook can be on the field at the same time as another slot WR. Austin isn't a guy who is limited to the slot. Amendola played Flanker and Slot for us in 2012.(Flanker in 2 WR sets and Slot in 3+ WR sets) Austin is less limited than Amendola because he has the speed to challenge teams deep.

So for me, saying Cook will be used as a slot WR doesn't preclude them from taking a guy like Austin in my mind. As I said before, the Patriots managed to use both Hernandez and Welker in the slot quite effectively.

Here you see that Cook is in the slot with another WR:
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDb79EAePss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDb79EAePss</a>

For me, the question isn't Cook...it's Kendricks. He'd be the one leaving the field for the slot WR likely.

I think it's give us a lot more flexibility and makes our passing game tough to match-up to. You put Cook, Austin, Givens and Quick(or another WR) out on the field at the same time...how many teams have the athletes to match-up with all those bodies in man coverage?
[hil]I agree with that.[/hil]

For the record, I don't think they're going to take Austin, and I don't think they're going to pass on him.
I have no idea how they're going to attack the draft, or how they're going to round out/shape the offense.
For all we know, they're not even thinking about Austin. OR. They're salivating at the idea of him falling to 16.

:idk: