Rams need a quality wideout in the first round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
Doesn't matter what size you are, you're going to be doing that from time to time. Tavon's injury sheet is non-existent.

People are getting far too hung up on "he COULD get hurt". He's never missed a game in his career. Sure, he could get hurt. So could the 6'3" 220 pound WR. Look at Kenny Britt, Mike Sims-Walker, Laurent Robinson, Michael Irvin and David Boston. All were bigger WRs that had their careers essentially ended by injuries...except Britt but his has taken quite the beating.

If Austin has proven anything, it's that he's not a guy who is especially susceptible to soft tissue and nagging injuries. He's not an injury prone player. He could suffer a freak injury or more than one freak injury. But so could every other player in the draft. Marcus Lattimore is 6'0" 220 and has suffered terrible freak injuries in back to back years. It's football, injuries happen.

There's no way to predict them. The best you can do is make sure you get tough guys with work ethic that aren't going to have issues with the small, nagging injuries. I think Austin has proven that he's one of those guys.

I don't disagree that he may not fit Fisher's vision for the team. We'll see on that. However, if we pick Austin, we're not drafting him to be just a KR/PR. If we pick him, it's because we're going to use him as a major piece of our offense.

True you can't predict injury, but you can use probability, the smaller you are, the % of times you're going to have to push your body is going to increase, that's a given - look at Danny Amendola. I'm not saying that he's going to be injured because he's smaller and yes injuries happen, yes it's football and sh*t happens.

But I have to add defences are far quicker in the NFL, but you also have to admit that Austin is NEVER going to have the same amount of space on an NFL field of play as he has in college.

He's great in space, but will he get that in the NFL, I think his use in the NFL will be limited, he wont be able to work against the more physical corners on the outside who'll be using the sideline as an extra defender (especially in our division), i've often seen him not make a catch if there's a Safety bearing down on him over the middle - I just think his use would be too limited in our offence.

With Cook working the slot and it looks like Fisher is going to be using Richardson / Pead more in the passing game too on jet sweeps and tosses etc, how many guys do we want in the backfield

Then again thats just me ;)

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I didn't read all six pages...

But what I did read, I didn't see any mention of Da'Rick Rogers.

Rogers is a first round receiver who will go in the second.

He is the receiver version of Janoris Jenkins.

I want Rogers. Imagine him and Quick (if he develops) taking the intermediate routes, Cook underneath, and Givens taking the top off?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
shaunpinney said:
True you can't predict injury, but you can use probability, the smaller you are, the % of times you're going to have to push your body is going to increase, that's a given - look at Danny Amendola. I'm not saying that he's going to be injured because he's smaller and yes injuries happen, yes it's football and sh*t happens.

Is that a given? It really depends.

As for Amendola...counter-point is Welker. It's random chance.

But I have to add defences are far quicker in the NFL, but you also have to admit that Austin is NEVER going to have the same amount of space on an NFL field of play as he has in college.

Wasn't the same true for Barry Sanders and Marshall Faulk? They managed just fine. Same thing with Percy Harvin, DeSean Jackson, etc.

No, he won't have the same amount of space. But he's not going to stop being a guy that can creates space and will exploit in crack he's given.

He's great in space, but will he get that in the NFL, I think his use in the NFL will be limited, he wont be able to work against the more physical corners on the outside who'll be using the sideline as an extra defender (especially in our division), i've often seen him not make a catch if there's a Safety bearing down on him over the middle - I just think his use would be too limited in our offence.

Why will he not be able to work against the more physical corners? Can Percy Harvin not work against them? How about Danny Amendola? How about Wes Welker? How about Marvin Harrison? How about Isaac Bruce? While Harrison and Bruce were around 6'0", they were extremely skinny. They found a way to make it work. How do you counter size and physicality? Speed and agility.

You've often seen him not make a catch if there's a safety bearing down on him? I'm gonna have to see evidence of this or if that's not possible, can you cite games where it happened? I'm sure it's something that's happened before, you can say that with any WR, but I'm thinking often is a stretch.

With Cook working the slot and it looks like Fisher is going to be using Richardson / Pead more in the passing game too on jet sweeps and tosses etc, how many guys do we want in the backfield

If Cook is in the slot and Richardson or Pead is in the back-field...put Austin at Flanker or stick him in the slot in trips next to Cook or on the opposite side in the slot. It's not like Austin and Cook are limited to 1 position on the field. Even Amendola moved around last year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
Why will he not be able to work against the more physical corners? Can Percy Harvin not work against them? How about Danny Amendola? How about Wes Welker? How about Marvin Harrison? How about Isaac Bruce? While Harrison and Bruce were around 6'0", they were extremely skinny. They found a way to make it work. How do you counter size and physicality? Speed and agility.
This is the only thing I could take issue with. It's typically not a good idea to use established NFL players as a comparison tool for unproven college receivers. He (Austin) could take any path, really. Including the receivers you cited, or he could go the way of Dante Hall, Mardy Gilyard, Brian Kinchen, or any other quick and small receiver who couldn't transition to the NFL as a top flight receiver - and instead ended up a special teams force. Personally, I think he has a good chance to succeed. But really, we have no idea how he'll adapt to tougher competition.

duckhunter

Starter
You're right. I like guys that have great production over 2 seasons in the major conferences, particularly when they come out of teams that run a pro style offense and run a full route tree. If they played as a true freshman it's even greater because the college coach is backing up his talk with personally invested commitment/action during the kid's career. You're not guessing as much.

A guy that catches 40 balls for one season and then because he's 6'3'' the media project him to be the 'idiot term' No1 receiver and catch 90 balls in the pros. That's a reach. Nobody gave a shyte who was No 1 when Ike, Big Game, Az and that jitterbig white dude was playing. It's a team sport for crying out loud.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
bwdenverram said:
PressureD41 said:
Selassie I said:
Cook.plays in the slot... basically eliminates the place Austin would line-up.

People in the Austin camp need to realize this. Cook is our slot WR!
I say take DT or OG or FS @ 16 then trade down w/ a QB needy team and target a wr perhaps Justin Hunter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going to argue with you or Selassie. Cook is a hybrid WR/TE. If you want to call him a slot receiver at his size that's fine. You could say Patterson is similar to Cook, size and speed wise. But answer this, how many times has Cook (the slot receiver) taken a pass 80 yards for a TD? How many punt or kickoff returns has Cook had?
The point I'm trying to make is Austin is not the same type of player. He does all of those things. We need dynamic players that create mismatches.

-----------------------------------------------

Maybe it's just me but I'm lumping in T. Austin w/ the Eric Metcalf, Ted Ginn Jr &Devin Hester's types... Meaning really fast & quick but under sized. Supposed to be the next-generation of explosive mismatch problems but they never fully reached their so-called projected potential coming out of college. So IMHO I'm using the past to projected the future w/ T. Austin as unfair as that sounds too the I gotta have Austin camp group.
So besides my bias on Austin, I'm thinking about past talents Comparables thus why I rather pass on him..
Great debate though

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Dude said:
jrry32 said:
This is the only thing I could take issue with. It's typically not a good idea to use established NFL players as a comparison tool for unproven college receivers. He (Austin) could take any path, really. Including the receivers you cited, or he could go the way of Dante Hall, Mardy Gilyard, Brian Kinchen, or any other quick and small receiver who couldn't transition to the NFL as a top flight receiver - and instead ended up a special teams force. Personally, I think he has a good chance to succeed. But really, we have no idea how he'll adapt to tougher competition.

Not guaranteeing success or that he can. It's using examples of NFL players who were able to make it work. Yes, he's small but that does not mean he's unable to play against big, physical CBs. Can he? We'll find out. But other players have made it work and usually the biggest weaknesses that these big CBs have are their ability to turn and run and their ability to cut on a dime.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Selassie I said:
bwdenverram said:
PressureD41 said:
Selassie I said:
Cook.plays in the slot... basically eliminates the place Austin would line-up.

People in the Austin camp need to realize this. Cook is our slot WR!
I say take DT or OG or FS @ 16 then trade down w/ a QB needy team and target a wr perhaps Justin Hunter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going to argue with you or Selassie. Cook is a hybrid WR/TE. If you want to call him a slot receiver at his size that's fine. You could say Patterson is similar to Cook, size and speed wise. But answer this, how many times has Cook (the slot receiver) taken a pass 80 yards for a TD? How many punt or kickoff returns has Cook had?
The point I'm trying to make is Austin is not the same type of player. He does all of those things. We need dynamic players that create mismatches.

Well at least tell me this Denver...

How do you like my incredible punctuation in my original quoted post here Brudda?

Not gonna tell you that I don't like what Austin is going to bring to the table. I'm a fan,,, no doubt. He's got some serious wheels, and speed kills. Nobody thinks that our team needs to add seriously to the receiving corp as much as I do. Nobody.

:7up:

I'll be honest bro, I haven't looked at the Wagoner chat yet. I'm sure there's some valid points all around. Maybe my man crush for Austin in blinding me :lol:
I know we're both just fans that want the best for the team. And I'm sure we BOTH want some exciting offense. Something we haven't had since...well, you know. I have faith in Fisher and team. They'll put the right people in place. Whoever that is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
The Dude said:
jrry32 said:

Not guaranteeing success or that he can. It's using examples of NFL players who were able to make it work. Yes, he's small but that does not mean he's unable to play against big, physical CBs. Can he? We'll find out. But other players have made it work and usually the biggest weaknesses that these big CBs have are their ability to turn and run and their ability to cut on a dime.
Fair enough. And I agree 100% on your CBs comment.
That's a huge advantage in favor of Austin.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDb79EAePss[/youtube]

duckhunter

Starter
I watched about every game of Dante Halls career and he was a pretty good WR, in addition to his return skills. He lit up a number of nickle backs. On the line with Az Zahir Akeem. Neither were 1st rounders but good football players. In Austin's case, they aren't in the same league. Same with all those guys D41 talked about. They were speed guys but didn't also have the quick COD. The real question is where do you slot him?

Are we not looking a gifted horse in the mouth and wondering about his overbite?

If we can give football specifics to substantiate an opinion it surely helps. As an example, I don't like the hands of Hunter and think he is a lilting flower wisping in the wind. Wouldn't draft him the 1st. But when the 2nd gets here and the Rams are on the clock I think he's the next real deal. A little opinion and a little specifics.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
PressureD41 said:

I do like Cook, but that was, I believe, the one and only play he had of that length. Not to say he's not capable of it, but watch Austin highlights. You'll see these all over the place.

But it's cool if he's not your thing. I just want some firepower, however that has to happen.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
bwdenverram said:
PressureD41 said:

I do like Cook, but that was, I believe, the one and only play he had of that length. Not to say he's not capable of it, but watch Austin highlights. You'll see these all over the place.

But it's cool if he's not your thing. I just want some firepower, however that has to happen.
----------———_____
I hear ya, I want fire power too. I just really want to add another elite big ugly at 16 a OG or DT, then add a Justin Hunter, 6'4 w/ wheels.

Though my 1st wish after the big ugly is a trade down to match value w/ need at Safety, then grab a wr within the top 20 picks in Rd 2.... I think big picture w/ this draft. That's my focus!!!

Can't wait too see have this all plays out.... Draft day rules!!!!!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
bwdenverram said:
PressureD41 said:

PressureD41 said:
bwdenverram said:
PressureD41 said:

----------———_____
I hear ya, I want fire power too. I just really want to add another elite big ugly at 16 a OG or DT, then add a Justin Hunter, 6'4 w/ wheels.

Though my 1st wish after the big ugly is a trade down to match value w/ need at Safety, then grab a wr within the top 20 picks in Rd 2.... I think big picture w/ this draft. That's my focus!!!

Can't wait too see have this all plays out.... Draft day rules!!!!!

You cant compare cook in the NFL against professionals to what Austin has done against college defenses. I like Austin as much as the next guy but no one knows how he will transition to the next lvl.
----
Im so excited for the draft as well and have to agree here I think 16 and 22 should be BPA and 2nd rd pick up Bailey Wheaton or hunter

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
bwdenverram said:
PressureD41 said:

As I said you really cant compare the 2 cook plays pro Austin is NCAA defense are way more complicated in the NFL.

Also NCAA spread offenses just dont work the same as a NFL offense.

Cooks o cord in tennesee utlizes his te's as blockers first and short yardage routes for the most part next. Austin was utelized as a wr more options givin for better yards and pretty highlights.

I like Austin and wouldnt be upset if we,drafted him. BUT lets not crown him the next big thing before we even see how he transitions to thr next lvl and performs "see Ryan leaf"

duckhunter

Starter
Rabid Ram said:
bwdenverram said:
PressureD41 said:

As I said you really cant compare the 2 cook plays pro Austin is NCAA defense are way more complicated in the NFL.

Cooks o cord in tennesee utlizes his te's as blockers first and short yardage routes for the most part next. Austin was utelized as a wr more options givin for better yards and pretty highlights.

I like Austin and wouldnt be upset if we,drafted him. BUT lets not crown him the next big thing before we even see how he transitions to thr next lvl and performs "see Ryan leaf"

Well, that's certainly calling the kettle black. I've seen that a couple times in this thread. You can tear the guy down and say "performs like Ryan Leaf" but the rest of us twits are crowning him the next big thing if we say something positive.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
This is a great thread...Thanks.

Austin and Patterson are the only WR worthy of where the Rams pick in the 1st, any one else is a giant reach and would leave better players on the board. Trade down makes the other WR fit in the draft window.
I would draft both of them and fix this thing once and for all.

Lots of good WR will be there in the 2nd and 3rd. Can get good value then if we don't get one in the first. WE need 2 in this draft.
Pettis is at best a 4th or 5th WR so make him that by getting better WR's.

Sneed did okay with Givens in the fourth so I trust his judgment more than Devanny's WR's.

Austin can play outside Duh. He's not that much smaller than Givens and he did okay. Yes there are a few routes he can't run, but would be a nightmare to match up with on some taller CB's.

Sorry, Cook is the slot guy. He's not as effective against the outside CB's Their speed offsets his size advantage to a degree. He's best against slot CB's and Safeties finding a seem. And if they use him as a inline TE, well they just pissed away 7 mil.

Sure we can run 2 TE's sets and will I'm sure. But if you do and still run a slot your going to be in a lot of 5 wide's. If you don't run 2 guys outside the hashmarks in clogs middle of the field and makes you vulnerable to CB blitzes. 4&5 wide only work if someone outside runs a 9 route to take the top off.

Even with Cook in the slot there's a lot you can do with Austin. Stack him with Cook,set him inside Cook with Givens on the outside. Swing him out of the back field etc. Here's a good one, stack him with Givens and see how fast the CB's can back peddle.

Patterson will become a top #1 WR with the proper coaching. He has elite talents just waiting to be coached up. He might have to be redshirted for awhile.

The key to all of this is what the Rams really think of Quick. Sure the say publicly they like him and all the proper things. But internally they have doubts then they will move early in the draft for WR help and more than one.
If they know for sure Quick has the goods, they will go for a guy later, 2nd or 3rd then a flyer on a late round guy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
images
144717_t607.JPG

Here is a scale picture of Patterson, next to Austin. Come on, when you break it down like that, who do you pick?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
images
144717_t607.JPG

Here is a scale picture of Patterson, next to Austin. Come on, when you break it down like that, who do you pick?

Fucking awesome post right there.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
duckhunter said:
Rabid Ram said:
bwdenverram said:
PressureD41 said:

Well, that's certainly calling the kettle black. I've seen that a couple times in this thread. You can tear the guy down and say "performs like Ryan Leaf" but the rest of us twits are crowning him the next big thing if we say something positive.

I was not comparing anyone to leaf I was saying look what happens when you automaticly assume a player will be a star in the NFL before he plays in the NFL

I think you are reading to much into peoples posts. I have on several occasions talked about drafting Austin on the board im all for it.

Nor have I anywhere called anyone wanting to draft Austin a twit. Its just draft talk my man take the emotion out of it and let other people share and disagree with your opinion.