Rams must accumulate more draft picks in 2023 even with 11 already in quiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So the Rams should pass up talented players to acquire more 5th, 6th and 7th round picks? And that is going to help how?
In any trade down scenario in the 2nd or 3rd, it would probably (most likely) be a number of equally rated players (by the Rams) of which one or multiple would still be there in the spot they traded down to....and pick up a 4th (or another 3rd) in the process. Since the draft is like playing the lottery, it's better to have 4 of the first 125 players off the board that 3. JMHO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
in a draft that is heavy in tight ends, to do this makes sense for the Rams, just have to find a trade partner.
train
It does? Whos' going to trade for a veteran TE on the last year of his contract in a draft labeled TE heavy? Wouldn't said team just draft a TE that's game ready like the Rams would need to do if we trade our only TE worth a shit? Sorry I disagree it would be harder to trade Higs this year.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Good stuff... but God forbid we also mention that we need trade partners to tango. There is always the possibility that we find no trade partners and we're stuck picking a guy higher than we want. There is an element of the draft that is just luck that fans don't always want to acknowledge.
True, the draft has a lot of luck involved. Like picking a deadbeat LT at #2 and getting a HOF DT at #14 in the same draft. Some will see that as bad luck when focusing on the #2, others will see it as good luck when looking at #14. Evaluations done in both cases and both were wrong. Hindsight suggests they should have been reversed. But that shows evaluations aren't scientifically sound. It's an evaluation coupled with a projection. A guess, however educated.

If the Rams have 5 guys on their board they would prefer not to take at #36 and fine no trade partner to trade down with, they could simply not hand in the card and let a couple/few slots pass. It would lower the salary slot. But of course that won't happen. I find it difficult to think after 35 selections, they won't have a guy on their board worthy of #36. And consequently, I find it difficult to believe there won't be a team below them who doesn't want to trade up for a guy on their board.

I guess what I'm suggesting is if they select at #36 then they didn't want to trade down too far and if they trade down, it's because they feel confident they'll get a guy they want at that spot. Or is it in fact, we want an extra pick, no matter what? I would hope that isn't the case. There has got to be at least 50-75 worthy players in this draft.

nighttrain

Legend
It does? Whos' going to trade for a veteran TE on the last year of his contract in a draft labeled TE heavy? Wouldn't said team just draft a TE that's game ready like the Rams would need to do if we trade our only TE worth a shit? Sorry I disagree it would be harder to trade Higs this year.
you are not disagreeing with me, i said IF
finding a trade partner probably next to impossible, just that trading him would make sense for the Rams.
train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Trade down from 36 and add a 4th round pick or whatever. Then start pluggin holes.

Only way I wouldn't trade down is if there's a guy sitting there who stands out among that group in his value. If that happens take the value and figure it out as you go from there.
102635242_Jahmyr-Gibbs_t800.jpg

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'm all about BPA at every pick this draft. We have so many holes, that with that approach each pick will be useful this coming season. So I say we keep our picks, get the strongest players available at those positions, and then fill in the rest with UDFA's and camp cuts.

We can still do the BPA if we trade back, we just don't know who will be there. I'd personally rather have a few top picks in the first 3 rds, who are more likely to start this season and be developed into the system by next year, then to gamble on lesser picks who might not be here next season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we draft LaPorta he'll be our primary pass game weapon for TE by midseason. Maybe even coming out of camp. Even as a rookie in the pass game his skills are so strong that he immediately threatens Higs.

So they could not trade Higs and he'll still get replaced this season if they get the right TE. Same goes for Kraft btw. Kraft is not as smooth in the pattern as a guy like Kincaid or LaPorta but he's such a load all-around he'll be phased in by the end of this season if we pick him.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Being a desired destination for undrafted FAs and making that sound like some great plan for building this team is quite a spin job for optimism. I mean sure, it’s something and Maybe we find a hidden gem or two who becomes valuable as a special teams or decent starter. But seriously, this is not some mastermind plan that should be deployed by teams as a way to become champions again. In reality, we have limited options right now. So it’s turning over every rock for something potential to use.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we draft LaPorta he'll be our primary pass game weapon for TE by midseason. Maybe even coming out of camp. Even as a rookie in the pass game his skills are so strong that he immediately threatens Higs.

So they could not trade Higs and he'll still get replaced this season if they get the right TE. Same goes for Kraft btw. Kraft is not as smooth in the pattern as a guy like Kincaid or LaPorta but he's such a load all-around he'll be phased in by the end of this season if we pick him.
All well and good but that ignores my point. Why would a team simply draft a TE instead of trading for Higbee in the last year of his contract. That makes no sense if this is in fact such a strong TE draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All well and good but that ignores my point. Why would a team simply draft a TE instead of trading for Higbee in the last year of his contract. That makes no sense if this is in fact such a strong TE draft.
Yeah that's a fair point. There are some who can play quickly but any interest in Higs would be because TEs generally need a couple years. The good ones tend to show something as rooks but overall it's a tough position to get production from early on.

I think Kincaid plays pretty quick. LaPorta should too. Because both are polished in the pattern but also willing at least as blockers. Meyer is good all around. But at a certain point you get out of the guys who translate quick and that's when the vet becomes appealing. So say a 5th round pick for Higs, somewhere around there where you're talking the project types, if it were to happen.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Teams with fewer draft picks, ... teams that are already play-off caliber and may not want to wait on a drafted TE's immediate availability to perform as well as a proven vet.
There's no guarantee the Rams will find such a trade suitor, but any reasonable offer should be listened to.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah that's a fair point. There are some who can play quickly but any interest in Higs would be because TEs generally need a couple years. The good ones tend to show something as rooks but overall it's a tough position to get production from early on.

I think Kincaid plays pretty quick. LaPorta should too. Because both are polished in the pattern but also willing at least as blockers. Meyer is good all around. But at a certain point you get out of the guys who translate quick and that's when the vet becomes appealing. So say a 5th round pick for Higs, somewhere around there where you're talking the project types, if it were to happen.

Teams with fewer draft picks, ... teams that are already play-off caliber and may not want to wait on a drafted TE's immediate availability to perform as well as a proven vet.
There's no guarantee the Rams will find such a trade suitor, but any reasonable offer should be listened to.
You both just reaffirmed that it's not worth trading Higs and even if it were we're not going to get anything worth while for him so keep him. A 5th? We likely get that back in a comp pick or close enough to it to be no different.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You both just reaffirmed that it's not worth trading Higs and even if it were we're not going to get anything worth while for him so keep him. A 5th? We likely get that back in a comp pick or close enough to it to be no different.

Where did I say anything like that ?
I've stated in the past that trading Higbee + a 2024 4'th might garner a 2023 4'th & 5'th.
Higbee's potential 2025 comp value may be overstated as we enter a new era with vast amounts of CAP $ available for free agency spending.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where did I say anything like that ?
I've stated in the past that trading Higbee + a 2024 4'th might garner a 2023 4'th & 5'th.
Higbee's potential 2025 comp value may be overstated as we enter a new era with vast amounts of CAP $ available for free agency spending.
You replied to me stating that. Your statement to my reply reaffirmed that statement I made which was in response to people saying we should trade Higs which has been a common thought around here this off season.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Higbee, 2019-2022 : 246 receptions, 2435 yards.
4 NFL TEs had more receptions than Higbee over that span.
Kelce (404), Andrews (302), Waller (280) and Kittle (264). Hockenson had the same, 246.
6 NFL TEs had more yards than Higbee over that span
Kelce (5108), Andrews (3761), Waller (3394), Kittle (3362), Goedart (2663), Hockenson (2587)
Maybe somebody ought to check. I may have missed a few but I don't think so.

It might just be, with all that cap space next year, Higbee ain't going nowhere.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not on the trade Higs bandwagon. But it would not surprise me if they were to move him at some point after the draft and up to the trade deadline if they draft a TE they really like.

Return would suck most likely so I don't think it's a high chance of happening or anything. But wouldn't rule it out either.

dang

Legend
From another thread:
I’ll never be able to comprehend the advanced complex mindset of McSnead. But my take on their current strategy is:
1) The Rams are keeping a handful of cornerstone players they believe are key to success for the next 2+ years and not paying those that are not needed.
2) The Rams are going to flood their roster with cheap young talent. And see how many are worth retaining beyond 2023.
3) The Rams are setting themselves up to be very active participants in trades and FA next year to fill in the gaps.
4) Rams will not tank but realize items 1-3 will limit their success in 2023. But give them a great opportunity for success in 2024 and beyond.