Rams must accumulate more draft picks in 2023 even with 11 already in quiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
No trade downs of our 2'nd or 3'rd rounders if it can be avoided.

Trade Higbee and a 2024 4'th for a 2023 4'th & 5'th. Besides the trade value, we also gain 2023 CAP availability.

nighttrain

Legend

Trade Higbee and a 2024 4'th for a 2023 4'th & 5'th. Besides the trade value, we also gain 2023 CAP availability.
in a draft that is heavy in tight ends, to do this makes sense for the Rams, just have to find a trade partner.
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I would be fine with trading Higbee the moment they take a TE I like in this draft. It would be risky, granted, going with Long as the lead at the position, but I'd be willing to go with him and one of the more polished options who have a chance to factor in immediately at the position.

If they go with the later round TEs it would worry me a bit more. Those have some good quality among them but you're talking redshirt season for sure with a lot of them.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I would be fine with trading Higbee the moment they take a TE I like in this draft. It would be risky, granted, going with Long as the lead at the position, but I'd be willing to go with him and one of the more polished options who have a chance to factor in immediately at the position.

If they go with the later round TEs it would worry me a bit more. Those have some good quality among them but you're talking redshirt season for sure with a lot of them.

Well, my latest mock has us taking Tucker Kraft at #77 overall as La Porta is likely gone at that point.
Like others you discount Hopkins, although I'd be quite comfortable going with Hopkins, Hunter Long & Kraft. Sure, not a lot of experience, but much of our roster will be inexperienced in what is sure to be a developmental year for many aspects of our team. For improved blocking I'd also press for the return of TE/FB Roger Carter.
The Rams are currently barely able to sign our draft class after giving back some 3M in CAP space following the ARob trade, so trading Higbee helps to relieve some of that stress. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, my latest mock has us taking Tucker Kraft at #77 overall as La Porta is likely gone at that point.
Like others you discount Hopkins, although I'd be quite comfortable going with Hopkins, Hunter Long & Kraft. Sure, not a lot of experience, but much of our roster will be inexperienced in what is sure to be a developmental year for many aspects of our team. For improved blocking I'd also press for the return of TE/FB Roger Carter. jmo.
Yeah I do discount Hopkins. When his sorry ass starts dressing on gameday maybe I'll starting believing he can help us. Guys like him were the reason we only won 5 games last season. Depth chart was not up to snuff at many positions to include TE.

That said he's fine as a TE4. But he's not ever gonna move the needle for us.

Kraft really is something. His all-around game is impressive, only thing that gives me any pause with him is level of competition but yeah I think he's going to be a hell of a player. So I have no desire to pigeon hole him into round 3 or 4 as I am not sure he makes it that far. But Kraft at 77 would have me celebrating.

What I like about LaPorta is I think he's a TE who would quickly command snaps in this offense. In today's NFL a guy who might start quickly as a receiving weapon at a position like TE is a nice thing to draft. You get full return on that pick investment as opposed to the guys we seem to favor under McVay who come in and look confused and end up needing multiple years to settle in. It's a tough position and in this offense I am sure the standards are super high, but they can do a lot better than they have prior in this draft.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah I do discount Hopkins. When his sorry ass starts dressing on gameday maybe I'll starting believing he can help us. Guys like him were the reason we only won 5 games last season. Depth chart was not up to snuff at many positions to include TE.

That said he's fine as a TE4. But he's not ever gonna move the needle for us.

Kraft really is something. His all-around game is impressive, only thing that gives me any pause with him is level of competition but yeah I think he's going to be a hell of a player. So I have no desire to pigeon hole him into round 3 or 4 as I am not sure he makes it that far. But Kraft at 77 would have me celebrating.

What I like about LaPorta is I think he's a TE who would quickly command snaps in this offense. In today's NFL a guy who might start quickly as a receiving weapon at a position like TE is a nice thing to draft. You get full return on that pick investment as opposed to the guys we seem to favor under McVay who come in and look confused and end up needing multiple years to settle in. It's a tough position and in this offense I am sure the standards are super high, but they can do a lot better than they have prior in this draft.

For a guy with 7 receptions out of a grand total of 11 2023 targets, that's a lot of venom. I tend to blame last years TE coach and OC for his lack of playing time. Lets see what LaFleur & Nick Caley might do with him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For a guy with 7 receptions out of a grand total of 11 2023 targets, that's a lot of venom. I tend to blame last years TE and OC for his lack of playing time. Lets see what LaFleur & Nick Caley might do with him.
Venom. Or maybe I'm just tired of hanging hopes on a guy who isn't good enough. It ain't personal. Every player in this league will see an end to his career the day he's not good enough, just happens sooner for guys like Hopkins.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Venom. Or maybe I'm just tired of hanging hopes on a guy who isn't good enough. It ain't personal. Every player in this league will see an end to his career the day he's not good enough, just happens sooner for guys like Hopkins.

And I'm tired of drafted developmental players not getting necessary playing time, especially on an already weak unit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I'm tired of drafted developmental players not getting necessary playing time, especially on an already weak unit.
We both are. But is it right to blame the staff for that or is maybe the player part of that equation too.

Is it the staff's fault the dude can't help on special teams for example. I think Hopkins has excellent talent but from day one he rubbed me the wrong way acting like he didn't have a problem with drops when his film said otherwise.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We both are. But is it right to blame the staff for that or is maybe the player part of that equation too.

Is it the staff's fault the dude can't help on special teams for example. I think Hopkins has excellent talent but from day one he rubbed me the wrong way acting like he didn't have a problem with drops when his film said otherwise.

The Rams knew that Hopkins didn't play Special Teams before drafting him, so that's 100% on management. I'll concede that Hopkins and his coaches both carry some blame, but we'll never know to what degree.
Hopkins had 4 targets with 4 receptions in the Super Bowl, then was rewarded with 11 targets during the entire 2022 season, 7 being receptions, ... I find that disgraceful.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams knew that Hopkins didn't play Special Teams before drafting him, so that's 100% on management.
You and I just think differently River.

You see it as the team saw he didn't play on teams in college so it's 100% on the team for taking him.

I see it as he is a pro now and if he wants to dress on gameday get out there and help the team win any way you can. So not doing that the player certainly shares in his failure.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Who’s complaining? I’m observing.
53 + practice squad + injuries + camp competition and bodies.

Not sure who is complaining about what here.

A lot of fans are. Then this bullshit article to boot.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think to do it for it's own sake without taking in any other available data such as what players are available when we're drafting at the initial pick or who we think would be available at the pick we're trading back for is pretty stupid. Pretty much just reiterating what I wrote above. I'm not sure if I can make it clearer. Maybe people disagree??
Who’s trading back for fun?

The third & 4th rounds are sweet spots for a lot of positions connected to Rams needs. Good Centers, Corners, RBs & Edge.

I’d want to end up with at least 6 players from the top 150 with as many top 100 as possible.

As a team building tool.. the more real contributors you find and develop this year, the better for next when you can spend $$$ on difference makers.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I think a trade back to trade back is kinda stupid but I expect the Rams to consider it a 1a option if there isn't a guy who they love at the spot they're at (say 36) or they have a few guys they like equally well and are fine trading back to pick up one of them. The latter option though probably means that what they receive in return is a more marginal pick than say the 4th rounder that everyone covets so much.
Spot on.

A lot has to be factored to decide to trade. And as far as the trade partner, how much of a drop is it going to be? 6 - 7 slots, with 6 - 7 players they equally like available? Dumb not to trade down. Hell I hope that's our situation and Cleveland wants somebody at #36 (540 pts). Give us #42 (480 pts), 24th pick in the 4th, #126 (46 pts) and swap #74 (220 pts) in the 3rd for our #77 (206 pts). Value is 746 to 746. We end up getting one of the 6 - 7 guys we like at 42 and come away with a higher 3rd plus a 4th.
#42, #69, #74, #126.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Spot on.

A lot has to be factored to decide to trade. And as far as the trade partner, how much of a drop is it going to be? 6 - 7 slots, with 6 - 7 players they equally like available? Dumb not to trade down. Hell I hope that's our situation and Cleveland wants somebody at #36 (540 pts). Give us #42 (480 pts), 24th pick in the 4th, #126 (46 pts) and swap #74 (220 pts) in the 3rd for our #77 (206 pts). Value is 746 to 746. We end up getting one of the 6 - 7 guys we like at 42 and come away with a higher 3rd plus a 4th.
#42, #69, #74, #126.

Good stuff... but God forbid we also mention that we need trade partners to tango. There is always the possibility that we find no trade partners and we're stuck picking a guy higher than we want. There is an element of the draft that is just luck that fans don't always want to acknowledge.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Good stuff... but God forbid we also mention that we need trade partners to tango. There is always the possibility that we find no trade partners and we're stuck picking a guy higher than we want. There is an element of the draft that is just luck that fans don't always want to acknowledge.
God forbid we talk about hopes and possibilities.
I mean… yeah… Snead usually sits on his hands on draft days.
How about just talking about what you’d like to see them do and why?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So the Rams should pass up talented players to acquire more 5th, 6th and 7th round picks? And that is going to help how?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If I was a good defensive UDFA, then I’d seriously consider the Rams as a good place to play.

The Rams can fill the roster that way rather than trading back.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think the middle of the draft has some good players that can help us. There's little chance of all 11. getting on the active roster...... but there are some guys who can step in (maybe later in the season...) that can help out. I would use some of the later picks (and a well placed trade down or 2...) to get more potential solid guys. Maybe 6 to 8 can come in and play a strong role. And then some of the others (and UDFAs ....) can fill out the praxtice squad, And they could play a bigger role next year.

Just my thoughts....