Rams must accumulate more draft picks in 2023 even with 11 already in quiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Rams must accumulate more draft picks in 2023 even with 11 already in quiver​

Les Snead and the Los Angeles Rams are set to make 11 selections during the upcoming 2023 NFL Draft. The Houston Texans and Las Vegas Raiders have a league-leading 12 picks to make, and only the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers have as many picks as LA.

But even with the third-highest quantity of draft picks in their quicker, it sure seems like the Rams need to accumulate even more selections during the draft.

The team only has 45 players on its roster currently, and they’ll need 90 by the time training camp rolls already early this fall. As things currently sit, they have three picks in the top 77 selections (36, 69, 77) and then will wait until 167 (late fifth round) until they are on the clock again. It’s a dilemma the Rams have put themselves in.

They sent their fourth round pick (107 overall) to the Patriots in return for running back Sony Michel in 2021. The 140th selection was exchanged for veteran Troy Hill on draft day last year. To LA’s credit, they also received pick 77 as return compensation from the Miami Dolphins in the Jalen Ramsey trade. The Rams also have extra sixth rounders from the Titans for Robert Woods and from the Packers for punter Corey Bojorquez. They also acquired a seventh rounder from the Lions for defensive lineman Michael Brockers.

Here are their picks in totality:
  • Round 2, 36 ovr
  • Round 3, 69 ovr
  • Round 3, 77 ovr
  • Round 5, 167 ovr
  • Round 5, 171 ovr
  • Round 5, 177 ovr
  • Round 6, 182 ovr
  • Round 6, 189 ovr
  • Round 6, 194 ovr
  • Round 7, 223 ovr
  • Round 7, 251 ovr
It takes a willing partner in order to move down the draft board, but trading back from either pick 36, 69, or 77 has to be front of mind for Los Angeles. Depending on what players are available at the time, the Rams might not be able to recoup a pick between 77 and 167, but they still need more dart throws as they try to fill out their roster from 45 to 90—the remainder cannot be comprised of just undrafted free agents and they have very limited cap resources to spend on available veterans.

The Rams have found success historically in the later rounds of the draft, but part of their strategy has been leaning into the odds and making selections in high volumes. Striking while the market is hot could help the team pick up a couple extra picks or so over the course of the draft, and this will help fill out the roster and start the formation of a young nucleus for the next contention window.

Accumulating additional picks could also help LA fill out their special teams core, as they currently do not have a kicker, punter, or long snapper on the roster. Snead has not used draft capital on a punter or long snapper during his Rams tenure, but he has drafted Greg Zuerlein and Sam Sloman at kicker. The Sloman selection didn’t work out so well for the franchise, but investing in Zuerlein allowed the team to move on from costly veteran Josh Brown—perhaps Snead has the same plan in 2023 after watching Matt Gay sign the biggest free agent contract ever at the kicker position.

While the Rams are slated to have the third-highest quantity of picks in this year’s draft, they should still seek to accumulate more selections by moving down the draft board.

View: https://twitter.com/TheRamsWire/status/1646513650876977157?s=20

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Disagree. I don’t see anyone lining up feeling sorry for the Rams, they are not going to have offers that will help collect more picks unless there is a great player on the board.

Take the talent! F them picks for mediocre players.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fuck ShitShowTimes can we take them off the approved list for the bot to post these fan articles?

oldnotdead

Legend
They complain about the draft but advocate for more low round picks to solve the "talent" drain? That shows how ignorant they are.

Three good players with their first 3 picks will fill their most important roster holes. The fucking media forgets there are only 53 players on the active roster and the Ram's roster is 45 right now. They have 11 picks to fill 8 roster slots. They should be able to do it without moving back. You can get starters in the second and third rounds. As you move back the players become more developmental. That is why that thought line makes no fucking sense if you are roster upgrading. Five quality players will do more than 10 mediocre players.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm really big on trading back this year and getting as many picks in the top 100 and 150 as possible.
I'd even throw in next year's 3rd to get more.
Why?
I'd much rather have 8-10 guys picked in the first four rounds this year being counted on to play roles next year than 3 or 4 with one guy from the second round.
You use the high picks next year and spend a bunch of money for hopeful difference-makers.

The top 150 is absolutely loaded with guys who could help the Rams, if they don't blow the picks.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Oh.. and the core premise of the article is dead on... the Rams need a shit ton of players. Period.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm good with trading back. But only if it results in an extra day 2 pick. I don't want to see them give up one of their 3rd's for an extra day 3 pick.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I don't want them to trade back our best chance to find good players is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds historically the percentages go way down on a players ability after the 3rd round.

Just to give you an example one of the online mags took our #77 pick and went back 20 years and showed who was taken. Only 2 marginal probowlers made the list the others most are out of the NFL or have/had very limited impact. Point being that was pick #77 in the 3rd round. Just look at our track record it mirrors this. We find a gem and a bunch of bombs or marginal impact players.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oh.. and the core premise of the article is dead on... the Rams need a shit ton of players. Period.

Why? Is there a game this weekend? I've never seen so much complaining over the the quantity of players before. Especially those that will make up the bottom 10% or so of the roster.

Every team is gonna have 90 guys in camp, and 53 come September. Which is always turning over anyway.

Turducken

Starter
I don't want them to trade back our best chance to find good players is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds historically the percentages go way down on a players ability after the 3rd round.

Just to give you an example one of the online mags took our #77 pick and went back 20 years and showed who was taken. Only 2 marginal probowlers made the list the others most are out of the NFL or have/had very limited impact. Point being that was pick #77 in the 3rd round. Just look at our track record it mirrors this. We find a gem and a bunch of bombs or marginal impact players.
There is still a lot of talent in the fourth round. Snead can't fall in love with players on his board, let the other GMs overpay us for loving their own boards a bit too much.

If an elite talent falls to 36, grab him. If not, look to add a couple 4th round picks by dropping a few spots from 36.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Why? Is there a game this weekend? I've never seen so much complaining over the the quantity of players before. Especially those that will make up the bottom 10% or so of the roster.

Every team is gonna have 90 guys in camp, and 53 come September. Which is always turning over anyway.
Who’s complaining? I’m observing.
53 + practice squad + injuries + camp competition and bodies.

Not sure who is complaining about what here.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
There is still a lot of talent in the fourth round. Snead can't fall in love with players on his board, let the other GMs overpay us for loving their own boards a bit too much.

If an elite talent falls to 36, grab him. If not, look to add a couple 4th round picks by dropping a few spots from 36.
Moving back a few spots and getting multiple 4th round picks doesn't seem very realistic based on the last couple year's deals. The closest I could find was this one, where the Bengals moved back eight spots. Otherwise, moving back a few spots seems to bring a single 4th. Last year, Cleveland moved back 22 spots and picked up a pair of 4ths.

Patriots receive:
  • 2021 second-round pick (No. 38 DT Christian Barmore)
Bengals receive:
  • 2021 second-round pick (No. 46 OL Jackson Carman)
  • 2021 fourth-round pick (No. 122 DT Tyler Shelvin)
  • 2021 fourth-round pick (No. 139 OT D'Ante Smith)

CLEVELAND RECEIVES:

HOUSTON RECEIVES:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Moving back a few spots and getting multiple 4th round picks doesn't seem very realistic based on the last couple year's deals. The closest I could find was this one, where the Bengals moved back eight spots. Otherwise, moving back a few spots seems to bring a single 4th. Last year, Cleveland moved back 22 spots and picked up a pair of 4ths.

Patriots receive:
  • 2021 second-round pick (No. 38 DT Christian Barmore)
Bengals receive:
  • 2021 second-round pick (No. 46 OL Jackson Carman)
  • 2021 fourth-round pick (No. 122 DT Tyler Shelvin)
  • 2021 fourth-round pick (No. 139 OT D'Ante Smith)

CLEVELAND RECEIVES:

HOUSTON RECEIVES:
I’m committed to the bit.. I’d hope to trade back more than once. Not sure how realistic it is.
I’ve said I’m also open to trading ‘24 3rd to get more top 150 players this season.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Yeah, I think a trade back to trade back is kinda stupid but I expect the Rams to consider it a 1a option if there isn't a guy who they love at the spot they're at (say 36) or they have a few guys they like equally well and are fine trading back to pick up one of them. The latter option though probably means that what they receive in return is a more marginal pick than say the 4th rounder that everyone covets so much.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, I think a trade back to trade back is kinda stupid but I expect the Rams to consider it a 1a option if there isn't a guy who they love at the spot they're at (say 36) or they have a few guys they like equally well and are fine trading back to pick up one of them. The latter option though probably means that what they receive in return is a more marginal pick than say the 4th rounder that everyone covets so much.
Why is trading back,”stupid”?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Why is trading back,”stupid”?

I think to do it for it's own sake without taking in any other available data such as what players are available when we're drafting at the initial pick or who we think would be available at the pick we're trading back for is pretty stupid. Pretty much just reiterating what I wrote above. I'm not sure if I can make it clearer. Maybe people disagree??

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Trade down from 36 and add a 4th round pick or whatever. Then start pluggin holes.

Only way I wouldn't trade down is if there's a guy sitting there who stands out among that group in his value. If that happens take the value and figure it out as you go from there.

Turducken

Starter
With all the tradeable comp picks floating around, the ability to convert a higher pick to multiple picks of comparable value is easier to pull off. We could drop in the second and add a solid third round pick. The 36th pick is valuable to a team that thinks they are just one player away from a deep playoff run (i.e., not the Rams).

Here's an example that makes sense to me:

Rams offer picks 36 and 167 to Lions for picks 55, 81 and 152.

Total value of rams picks (per trade chart) is 563.4. For Lions picks its 564.9. I'm not saying the Lions want to do this, but it could benefit both teams. It took me three minutes to come up with this possible trade, I'm sure Snead has already inquired about a dozen more.