Rams look for pieces around Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What is it that the Raiders organization saw which caused them to fail Saffold during his physical? How did the Rams miss this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...s-physical-and-won-t-join-team-024430161.html

Not sure on the details my friend but I would guess....some serious inflammation, missing & broken parts, large amount of limitation of shoulder movement, shoulder muscle atrophy, high degree indications of pain & heart stress due to the movement of the shoulder just to name a few.....he may have been real crumply & uncooperative during the physical too.

I would also add that it will be soon 3 yrs since this happened at the time I was so smugg & so smart :thinking: that we had beat the Raiders out of a great UFA sign:yess:....I was sooooo wrong on that :shocked:....I am still eating my nasty tasting posts:sick:.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's too bad that the players Fisher chose to draft/sign, was responsible for developing, and was responsible for putting a successful scheme around aren't playing up to snuff.
I just can't see past this. If Fisher weren't as involved in all the decision making that went into building this team, yeah... he gets a pass.
But that simply isn't the case. The 2016 Rams ARE Fisher's team... his draft picks, his free agent signings, his coaches.
I don't see getting around that at all.
So, in my opinion, he is ultimately responsible for the results of the 2016 Rams.And the results are disappointing, to say the least.

Mediocre like the defensive and offensive rookie of the year in back to back seasons????
And if all it took to win were to field two excellent players, we'd be set! ;)

Goff developing
Quick Developing
Gurley developing
GRob developing
Boras developing
Jamon Brown developing
Havenstein developing
Tavon developing
Spruce developing
Cooper developing
Kendricks developing
Barnes developing
Britt coming into his own in 9th year
Cunningham developing
I don't see any of the coaches names on that list.... ;)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I would also add that it will be soon 3 yrs since this happened at the time I was so smugg & so smart :thinking: that we had beat the Raiders out of a great UFA sign:yess:....I was sooooo wrong on that :shocked:....I am still eating my nasty tasting posts:sick:.

You aren't alone in this miscalculation. :baghead: Injuries happen to the best of players at times but when it becomes a theme season after season, then it's time to cut them loose, sooner rather than later.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So right out the gate I'm going to give my two cents with the assumption Fish is here next year. It pains me greatly, but at this point here's the way forward as I see it with that given (which I still hope changes but that's neither here nor there).

Fisher needs to get out of his own way on offense, first and foremost. He needs to bring in a LEGIT offensive coordinator and give that guy the power to make staff changes with that side of the ball if needed. Norv Turner is ideal from a Jeff Fisher perspective, simply because he's fielded balanced offenses. And there is nothing wrong with prioritizing a strong run game, btw, as long as you have a coordinator that can balance it with passing the ball.

Now I am sure some will come back with "No way on Norv, game has passed him by, Fish needs to bring in hot young WR coach X, or this guy or that guy," etc, etc. Problem is Fish is on a one year deal, and even hot positional coaches might not want to come in to this sinking ship for one year. Even Martz might not want to, and that's assuming Fish would consider him, which I doubt, as set in his ways as he is.

It might take management twisting his arm to get that done. And it might take Jeff phoning a friend to get a real offensive mind in here, too. If things go that route, my guess is Jeff will call Mike Shanahan, for a couple reasons...

One, he and Mike are good friends. Mike's son will be the belle of the ball for head coaching positions, so sliding in as OC with the Rams to help right the ship might be attractive to him, particularly since he has two critical pieces in the offensive backfield in Goff and Gurley.

Two, the dude straight up knows how to put together a strong run game. He also favors mobile OL in his run scheme, and also might serve as a reclamation force with GRob. The type of OL he likes are often available well into the draft, so adding one or two that route should not be too difficult.

If management leaves Fish to his own devices, he'll probably cut his own throat by promoting from within. In which case I honestly think I'll take a year off from watching football.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I wonder if Jeff Fisher would keep his grubby hands out of the offense if he had an experienced OC. Norv Turner comes to mind.

I'm not sure if we have the dough, but picking up a new starter on the line in free agency, the one more in rounds 2 or three, and maybe a new pass catcher that can catch and we might be set. We have a lot of the pieces, we just need a few more and a really offensive mind.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why? Hasn't that been done recently?
1240265992468.jpg

Bruce2980

Starter
Serious about the OC, isn't this Fisher's third one in five years, yet the results are about the same, and his offensive stats seem very similar in his 22 years as a HC. So I guess I am being a smart ass, but serious at the same time. So does that make me a serious smart ass?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No team plays at a high level for a whole 60 minutes, there are screw ups and the other team makes plays. It happens and you have to give them credit.

I'll give Gurley a break I think he has a shoulder problem that hasn't come out and the oline play has been horrendous.

I think I agree with @BonifayRam on the oline I just don't know if they have the coach and draft guys to get any top line players there. Grob?? Maybe he is still usable, he's young. Havenstein definitely regressed but may be salvageable? A stud in the center would be awesome and the other guys are still young so we may have a couple of decent guards or maybe not??? I don't know if it is the players the scheme or the coach.

sure some teams don't play at a high level for 60 mins (the Rams more than most ) but over a season most teams even the bad ones play at a high level

You know what the ironic thing is ? I wouldn't mind losing if the Rams were fun to watch but 3.3 yards per play and 2.8 yards per rush (from a team that's "built to run ") isn't going to cut it (do I need to mention out 3rd down conversion rate)

the only hope I have for this offense is Gurley and goff

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
oline looks better?? are you kidding me last year we had rookies and injuries every where. this year no rookies very few injuries and playing worse. gurley has gone backwards. the receivers have got better but they have a new coach and goff may not survive the oline. it is funny the one place we see improvement (receivers) is where we got a new coach.
You need to read what I wrote before you react.

I have clearly said in multiple threads the oline has regressed and that is the root of the offensive problems,

Havestein was injured at the beginning of the year and did not play in preseson. Saffold is out again and Brown was out injured too. They have had their share.

Last edited:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
You need to read what I wrote before you react.

I have clearly said in multiple threads the oline has regressed and that is the root of the offensive problems,

Havestein was injured at the beginning of the year and did not play in preseson. Saffold is out again and Brown was out injured too. They have had their share.

o line looks better?? this is what you wrote. I didn't say the o line was injury free I said they had fewer then last year. maybe you should read before you react. sorry if I seem mad but I don't like being told to read before I react so i'll move on

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Great breakdown flv as usual. I would be close to full agreement with you on your GRob comments. Sad is it not:sadwalk:? The only small area that we differ is I hold up better hope for GRob chances that he could be a good 3rd OT for us in 2017 if he can learn the right from the left side, but he has proven to be unbelievably slow to learn OLT technical side so I understand your thoughts that GRob just can not learn enough fast enough :whistle:to be a bonafide ORT reserve.

I agree with your thoughts on the difficulty on finding a brand new OLT in 2017, so maximum effort should go to utilize any possible prospects currently under contract. Rams do not have any current roster OL'ers who will have any involvement in free agency in a few months that's a good thing. Rams do have some OL'ers who might be a stop gap OLT till someone comes in with more on field skills & talent.

Darrell Williams entering his 2nd season was the 3rd OT in 2015 season
Andrew Donnal entering his 3rd season is the 3rd OT in 2016 season
Isaiah Battle has 2 yrs on the PS was a OLT in college
Pace Murphy entering his 2nd season pure OLT prospect
Greg Robinson entering his 4th season pure emergency plan OLT

In reference to Rodger Saffold I am 100% done with Saffold as a Ram starting OG either side. RS has shown he is only a very small step above Brown & Wichmann play, however RS might have some good value in the left tackle 2017 equation but that's it. I am ok with the Barnes/Rhaney center situation & would center all my attention fully on the two OT posts first before taking the impossible shotgun approach to all five OL positions.

One last though is veteran OG Garrett Reynolds need to be brought back ASAP if healthy !(y)

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me know when you have run a business and how you are able to make your employees perform.

If my business lost money 5 years in a row because I couldn't bring in the right people or develop the right ones I had, I wouldn't be running a business anymore.

The talent pool in the NFL is limited, the selection process is limited, it isn't like playing Madden where you get to pick whomever you want, you don't get a cheat code to make Gurley suddenly break tackles every run or Quick not drop a pass that is thrown behind him and he gets one hand on it.

I haven't played Madden this decade, so I don't know much about the cheat codes. However, you're right that Fisher can't make Quick catch the ball or Gurley break tackles. However, Fisher drafted Gurley with the #10 pick in the draft. Fisher drafted Quick with the #33 pick in the draft then re-signed him.

If these players aren't performing up to snuff, it's because Fisher picked the wrong guy or failed to develop the right guy or failed to put the right guy in a position to succeed. No matter what, it circles back to Fisher.

You can deflect the blame to the players. In the end, Fisher was responsible for hand-picking them, coaching them, and putting them in the right scheme. Their failures are Jeff Fisher's failures.

These kind of statements are naive and come out of frustration. The scheme was working just fine when Goff threw for 3 TDs in one half. Its on the players to get it done.

They're certainly not naive. Naive is blaming the players for the failures of the coach.

And no, the scheme wasn't working just fine when Goff threw for 3 TDs in a half. We were playing a bad defense. Our players executed despite the bad scheme. Something they can't do consistently. I know your next move is to claim that if the players executed like that all the time, we wouldn't have any problems.

But that's not how it works. We don't get to play the #32 defense every week.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
sure some teams don't play at a high level for 60 mins (the Rams more than most ) but over a season most teams even the bad ones play at a high level

You know what the ironic thing is ? I wouldn't mind losing if the Rams were fun to watch but 3.3 yards per play and 2.8 yards per rush (from a team that's "built to run ") isn't going to cut it (do I need to mention out 3rd down conversion rate)

the only hope I have for this offense is Gurley and goff

I wouldn't go so far as to say I wouldn't mind them losing as long as they were fun to watch, but I understand the feeling...It does double down on misery when it becomes a boring, ugly loss...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
o line looks better?? this is what you wrote. I didn't say the o line was injury free I said they had fewer then last year. maybe you should read before you react. sorry if I seem mad but I don't like being told to read before I react so i'll move on
Good idea

nanotech

Rookie
So with all that said how much time does Goff get to develop? You think the offense is supposed to be good now with a guy running it that has played 3 games?

Seeing those glimpses means the coaching staff is coaching. The player development is coming for Goff, Gurley, Quick looks better, the oline?? possibly

Is there room for improvement of course but expecting them to play at a higher level every game or even a whole game right now? I don't see it.

All those close losses with Keenum will likely be wins next year or the year after with Goff. Its coming

nanotech

Rookie
Well, I just wasted a good portion of my life reading all this. And, I am sure I don't have that much left. Sigh!

RamsVA

UDFA
Name
RamsVA
A left tackle and. Number 1 rec and a TE and an imaginative offensive coordinater
An imaginative OC will be able to utilize our TEs. Looking forward to Higbee's play next year with a full offseason with Goff as #1 QB. I've made the case for several seasons that getting a stud FA Center will help the team a lot and Goff significantly. Goff will make the WRs better as his confidence grows, the OLine improves, and the play calling gets better. Anguan Boldin would have been an interesting add to this team to coach up the rookies. Looking forward to Pharoh and Spruce getting going next year but won't be surprised if they grab a big WR in the draft to pair with Goff or a reliable FA to replace Britt or Quick.