Rams look for pieces around Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
and there is your problem ..glimpses arent good enough.. not in the NFL ....not when you have teams out there like the cowboys winining 11 games this year...im not asking for the number one ranked offense ....id take converting more than one first down at this rate and yes ill lay the blame at the feet of some of the players (kendricks and britt the oline) but at the end of the day the buck should stop with the coaches

untill they ran up against a good offense or two ..(oh and san fran )

yep if it wasnt for them against the jets Fisher would have been one game closer to nabbing that record
So with all that said how much time does Goff get to develop? You think the offense is supposed to be good now with a guy running it that has played 3 games?

Seeing those glimpses means the coaching staff is coaching. The player development is coming for Goff, Gurley, Quick looks better, the oline?? possibly

Is there room for improvement of course but expecting them to play at a higher level every game or even a whole game right now? I don't see it.

All those close losses with Keenum will likely be wins next year or the year after with Goff. Its coming

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Good post, as usual, @BonifayRam.

What puzzles me is how certain teams can suffer injuries on the O-line, insert back up players, and go on like nothing happened. Last season the Patriots, due to injuries, went through 37 different offensive line combinations and still ended up with a 12-4 record. Yeah I know, good coach and QB, but one would think that a decimated O-line would eliminate or at least lessen those variables.

Either the Rams don't have back up O-line players that can step in and get the job done, or they aren't being coached properly to get them ready when they need to play.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Obviously this is true on its face, but we Rams fans have been almost mentally conditioned over the Fisher years to accept mediocre player performance as if there's nothing that can be done about it. Meanwhile, you got Pittsburgh starting a guy out of the army and Seattle starting a college basketball player at left tackle...

Obviously gimmicks are not answer, but the point is the low bar of the standard of player execution the Rams accept while other teams seem to more urgently try to replace a bad position by throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at the problem.

To their credit the Rams usually do have Plan A, B, and C for most things but have had more than their share of bad luck and busts -- for example, their attempts to solve the center position included free agent, draft picks, open competition, etc., and it all still failed. The major problem I see is that once these plans fail and a player becomes entrenched, but is obviously not doing the job, Fisher moves with the urgency of a glacier to rectify it as if just "oh well, we tried"... Scott Wells-itis...

I'm just not a believer that the pool of people that can play in the NFL is as limited as that. If a guy isn't cutting it and flashes no reason why he will improve, it's time to try someone else at the position -- whether they come from the 2nd string, the "limited talent pool" of free agents, or from stocking shelves at the local Hy-Vee... Under Fisher it seems an underachieving, mistake-prone player is instead the Energizer Bunny, he just lets them keep going and going instead of benching and replacing fast enough in my opinion.
Mediocre like the defensive and offensive rookie of the year in back to back seasons????

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So with all that said how much time does Goff get to develop? You think the offense is supposed to be good now with a guy running it that has played 3 games?

Goff gets as much time as any rookie (even a bit more considering this offense he is being hindered by) and i was of the opinion that Goff shoud have started a lot sooner by Fish's keenum boner was too strong

eeing those glimpses means the coaching staff is coaching. The player development is coming for Goff, Gurley, Quick looks better, the oline?? possibly

gurley ? development ? i love me some TG but the guy has regressed he doesnt look close to the same player we had last year ..Quick looked good the first few games ...disapeared since then ...o line possibly ? possibly what arent bery good ?

Is there room for improvement of course but expecting them to play at a higher level every game or even a whole game right now? I don't see it.
can you see what youre writing ? how can you not expect them to play at a higher level even for a one whole game ...sheesh

All those close losses with Keenum will likely be wins next year or the year after with Goff. Its coming

cant argue there ,,, might have been wins with goff this year too instead of waiting two years (thatsll be 7 under fisher) for a wining season

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Oh HELL no. I like you Andrew but there ain't no way this crap is flying here. Time for a breather.

We are not here to read every post as it happens 24/7. Chill out.

No crap - eh? I'm suggesting everyone check their attitude NOW.

Just pointing it out . This was the first time I'd seen anything like that since joining.

I'm not happy with how bad this season has gone.Always try to look at the bright side, but the lossing continues in a worse way this season.
--Fisher needs to go , and think The Rams fans won't take the lossing .Stan will hear it at games. The bright side & maybe Fishers saving grace could be Jared Goff.
--It makes me very upset that after drafting Sam Bradford(Jason Smith, Greg Robinson #2 overall) now Jared Goff & The Rams can not protect there investment. Getting sacked 4 times & hit 10 times is inexcusable after all these years of rebuilding.

--- thanks for all you do for this Rams board.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sure appears that the Rams most experienced veteran OL Rodger Saffold is not the answer for GRob.

The 2016 Boudreau version of the left side OL duo of Saffold/Robinson proved to be "Not Good". Would Saffold be better if there was another OLT lined up next to him? :whistle: Or would GRob play better with a Jamon Brown? From what I saw it makes no difference to GRob on who plays next to him this season, its all....Not Good.

GRob will be our top paid OL in 2017:fuelfire: what does that say for this Fisher regime? Another good question is will Fisher decides to retain the often injured Saffold & often under performing game day OG in 2017? Saffold will be our second highest paid OL'er in 2017 & will earn over 6.2 million...should he return to the right side either @ RT or OG or be inserted @ OLT instead ?

IMO, I would not move Jamon Brown away from the OLG post period... no matter what happens or occurs a few feet left of him. I am completely done with flipping flopping & playing musical post chairs @ the OG post trying to find the right baby sitter who can direct & instruct "Greg Robinson the Menace" on what he is to do on the called play. As you & I know GRob the Menace will remain here in 2017 & if he starts @ OLT this open massive oozing sore will once again infect the entire OL.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Its obvious to all the OLT post is #1 on the list to fix. Some members hold out some hope for GRob
After watching them against 2 subpar D-lines....tough call...but I'm moving G-Rob to RT....put some competition on those two....and trying to replace everyone else...it's not about the pass protection with me either, it's that lack of a decent push/execution in the run game.

Another good question is will Fisher decides to retain the often injured Saffold & often under performing game day OG in 2017? Saffold will be our second highest paid OL'er in 2017 & will earn over 6.2 million
Time to cut bait with this guy...Love his fire...but it's time to move on...lack of production & injury prone.

MountainRam

Rookie
Goff developing
Quick Developing
Gurley developing
GRob developing
Boras developing
Jamon Brown developing
Havenstein developing
Tavon developing
Spruce developing
Cooper developing
Kendricks developing
Barnes developing
Britt coming into his own in 9th year
Cunningham developing

Am I missing any developing players please add

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After watching them against 2 subpar D-lines....tough call...but I'm moving G-Rob to RT....put some competition on those two....and trying to replace everyone else...it's not about the pass protection with me either, it's that lack of a decent push/execution in the run game.

Good decision here ....my position is known that GRob at OG is NOT the answer for him. Sure he can play OG but he is built to play OT. Problem is he has shown thus far his play @ left OT results in poor results....re-training GRob to play interior NFL OL may take longer than teaching him to play good left OT in the NFL....Rams do not have that kind of time either. GRob has 1 season as a Ram & that's it. Best to use the 3 previous NFL years of training @ OT & his 2 seasons in college @ OT to quickly retool him for the right side in 2017 season that's @ RIGHT OT. If GRob effort & work @ RT is better than Havenstein, Donnal, Williams, Saffold or Battle then he may very well start @ ORT its a win but if not?

Then GRob can use the RT practice time in OTA's TC & pre season to be a reserve RT & LT for the 2017 season. All team have a roster spot for a third PT & the Rams are usually no different. One could say that we do not have a third OT this season because our OLG has been our reserve back @ RT...true that but Donnal is now our third OT with Saffold out & he is on the active roster.

We know that GRob will be here in 2017 why not use him in this capacity? Looks smart to me(y).

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Goff gets as much time as any rookie (even a bit more considering this offense he is being hindered by) and i was of the opinion that Goff shoud have started a lot sooner by Fish's keenum boner was too strong

gurley ? development ? i love me some TG but the guy has regressed he doesnt look close to the same player we had last year ..Quick looked good the first few games ...disapeared since then ...o line possibly ? possibly what arent bery good ?

can you see what youre writing ? how can you not expect them to play at a higher level even for a one whole game ...sheesh

cant argue there ,,, might have been wins with goff this year too instead of waiting two years (thatsll be 7 under fisher) for a wining season
No team plays at a high level for a whole 60 minutes, there are screw ups and the other team makes plays. It happens and you have to give them credit.

I'll give Gurley a break I think he has a shoulder problem that hasn't come out and the oline play has been horrendous.

I think I agree with @BonifayRam on the oline I just don't know if they have the coach and draft guys to get any top line players there. Grob?? Maybe he is still usable, he's young. Havenstein definitely regressed but may be salvageable? A stud in the center would be awesome and the other guys are still young so we may have a couple of decent guards or maybe not??? I don't know if it is the players the scheme or the coach.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Seeing those glimpses means the coaching staff is coaching. The player development is coming for Goff, Gurley, Quick looks better, the oline?? possibly

oline looks better?? are you kidding me last year we had rookies and injuries every where. this year no rookies very few injuries and playing worse. gurley has gone backwards. the receivers have got better but they have a new coach and goff may not survive the oline. it is funny the one place we see improvement (receivers) is where we got a new coach.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No team plays at a high level for a whole 60 minutes, there are screw ups and the other team makes plays. It happens and you have to give them credit.

I'll give Gurley a break I think he has a shoulder problem that hasn't come out and the oline play has been horrendous.

I think I agree with @BonifayRam on the oline I just don't know if they have the coach and draft guys to get any top line players there. Grob?? Maybe he is still usable, he's young. Havenstein definitely regressed but may be salvageable? A stud in the center would be awesome and the other guys are still young so we may have a couple of decent guards or maybe not??? I don't know if it is the players the scheme or the coach.

You have very good eye ....yes blackbart!

Guess you have you seen what I have seen with Gurley's left shoulder too??? He can not lift his left arm up due to a shoulder issue??? May be another reason for his lack of use in the passing game too? Gurley has failed to catch some of those balls thrown to his left side check it out! when he runs or walks he left arm does not move! Guess its due to it being taped & wrapped down tight.

Last edited:

MountainRam

Rookie
You have very good yes blackbart!

Guess you have you seen what I have seen with Gurley's left shoulder too??? He can not lift his left arm up due to a shoulder issue??? May be another reason for his lack of use in the passing game too? Gurley has failed to catch some of those balls thrown to his left side check it out! when he runs or walks he left arm does not move! Guess its due to it being taped & wrapped down tight.

If he is injured, isn't it a violation of league rules not to disclose it?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
This is my very disagreement -- he *doesn't* always play who gives the best chance to win. He often sticks with players that are underperforming and that do not give the best chance to win, instead of trying new guys that might actually give as good or better chance to win.

For example, we know Barnes is not getting the job done at center, why isn't Rhaney in there yet? If Rhaney isn't good enough to play better than the poor level Barnes has shown, he shouldn't be the backup or on the roster at all. I honestly don't know at times why Fisher has second stringers on the roster if they will never play even when guys are obviously failing in this results-based business. Many seem to be on the roster because of some "maybe they will be good enough to be average in five years" pipe dream. It is bizarre to me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If he is injured, isn't it a violation of league rules not to disclose it?

I sent you some serious rain from the deep south here the last few days to help you all with that drought north above Atlanta ;).

Yes to your question. It may be why nothing has been discussed or disclosed. A side note from your other post...Do you really think that GRob belongs on your large developing list?

Psycho_X

Legend
We can say the players don't do this or don't do that all day long but at the end of the day Fisher seemingly has final say in almost everything about this team since he got here. It's his job to choose what players hit the field, it's his job to make sure they are ready and coached properly, it's his job to make sure he has coaches capable of doing the job. It all falls on him. He said it himself this week to the media... the record is on him. And it is 100% true. I like Fisher, I really do. But it is 100% on him to fix this ship if he gets another chance this offseason.

In my opinion, that falls on fixing offensive play calling and coaching across the board on offense. We can say the players don't execute but when the defense always knows what's coming it makes it so hard even if executed properly. I don't know how anyone could defend the play calling this season. It's basic and completely predictable. Opposing teams are jumping plays and ALWAYS right. This has to change period. I've seen a couple of good halves of play calling. The first half of Detroit was amazing.... imaginative, unpredictable, and used the field both vertically and horizontally. Besides that game I just haven't seen anything remotely NFL like in creativity and flexibility.

I seriously think that's all we need. A well versed and creative OC. We can keep the ground game as a focus, I am completely fine with that. But the run plays have to be diverse and the pass plays have to stretch the field. A real NFL OC adapts to his weaknesses and I've never seen that once from Boras.

As far as players go, I rag on the receivers and TEs a lot but I'm OK'ish with them. It would be wonderful to have a Beckam of course but what we have is serviceable. I like all of our rookies skillsets and think they are a bright future for us.

O-Line- I like Barnes but the dude gets abused a lot and we could use a huge upgrade for our young QB. A stud guard would help as well. Wichman and Brown both look like rookies still so I could see development happening there. Havenstein is ok enough at RT. Grob just needs to clean up his technique still. He loses too early on plays still, needs better foot movement at times... takes his body out of the play too easily at times.

Gurley needs used in the passing game more creatively. He's also more of a one cut and run RB and he's not being used like that. This run straight up the ass of your guard and into tackles isn't working. I think play creativity would help him more than anything. And as others have stated I think he's been playing with some injuries all season.

On defense, we need another DE pass rusher not named Quinn. Quinn is what he is, an amazing edge rusher but nothing else. He has his one trick, turn the corner and pray the QB gets flushed backwards or the tackle is too slow but usually teams know to simply push him out of the play. We need a power rusher opposite of him. Hayes is still serviceable but he's not getting much pressure this year.

OLB, I was really liking Forrest before his injury and I am liking Littleton. If Kroenke decides to blow team management up and Williams leaves we'd need to invest in some depth here because more than likely a new DC would go more traditional sets.

Secondary, we need Gaines to heal up more and get back to his rookie form. If that happens and Tru comes back we're not bad here. Obviously depth is always a great thing, how Jordan performs the rest of this season would go a long ways in answering whether we need help here. At safety, McD is still a thumper for Williams D. I'm not sure how he'd perform in a traditional safety role if the defense were to be changed. Alexander I'm take him or leave him at this point. Would like an upgrade if possible but he's serviceable.

Special teams is basically the gold standard of the NFL at the moment. Change as little as possible.

tldr: We need a stud OC and I think our current team as is can go far. And other mostly useless position opinions. :)

Psycho_X

Legend
The Patriots' offense held the ball nearly 16 minutes longer than the Rams.

Also, this is a ridiculous stat. Our defense played more than a whole quarter more than the Pats D. That's unacceptable in the NFL.