Rams in search of PR/KR - Cooper & Thomas out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I may be wrong, but didn't Malcolm Brown return kickoffs in college?

Right on Bubbaramfan, was reading down the line for someone to hit the jackpot.

Copper Kupp was taking PR in training camp.
Malcom Brown has been a KR guy for Bones.

Maybe someone will get promoted,but in the meantime these 2 can get in done.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was thinking the same thing, but Just googled it, and I don’t think Brown was a KR at Texas.

How many KR has he taken as a Ram ?

Zero - was wrong. I swear he lined up around the end zone a couple of times ? 2016 would have been the only season.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
How many KR has he taken as a Ram ?

Not finding any reg season KR stats for Brown. I don’t recall him returning any this year in preseason either, it was mostly Natson. Preseason last year perhaps?

Real curious to see what they decide, especially at PR.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not finding any reg season KR stats for Brown. I don’t recall him returning any this year in preseason either, it was mostly Natson. Preseason last year perhaps?

Real curious to see what they decide, especially at PR.

Guess I was wrong about him being back as a KR guy. Could have sworn he was back there at some point.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think you're conflating Malcolm Brown for Bennie Cunningham who did return kicks for us. They have a very similar body type.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me to find that today, they effectively hold tryouts. Malcolm Brown likely won't be in that group, but I'd think Kelly might as well as a few others.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
i’d Give John Kelly a long look in practice at KR this week. I’m not sure about PR duties.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
John Kelly or Sam Shields maybe?? We need a safe pair of hands primarily, I'm not sure they'd risk Kupp if we already have 2 WRs injured, but if he does do it, I can see him fair catching a high percentage

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No way do I risk Cooper Kupp on punt returns. Here's why:

And this:

And one more:

It's a dangerous job, even if you call a fair catch. I'd rather risk a specialized returner than Kupp for that reason alone.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I believe Natson is available and IMO an easy solution...The only issue is Natson is a PR/KR only, not much of a WR, but I like him in that role. I don't want anybody not securing the football.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
John Kelly or Sam Shields maybe?? We need a safe pair of hands primarily, I'm not sure they'd risk Kupp if we already have 2 WRs injured, but if he does do it, I can see him fair catching a high percentage

No way do I risk Cooper Kupp on punt returns. Here's why:

And this:

And one more:

It's a dangerous job, even if you call a fair catch. I'd rather risk a specialized returner than Kupp for that reason alone.

I wouldn’t risk Shields either. He has had too many concussions as it is. He shouldn’t be put in the position where people are trying to hit or tackle him.

jacktheripper85

Starter
I wouldn’t risk Shields either. He has had too many concussions as it is. He shouldn’t be put in the position where people are trying to hit or tackle him.

I agree. No Kupp or Shields for those roles. In all honesty with this offense I’m not sweating it. Just get a guy who can catch a punt and not fumble-not really losing sleep over return yardage.

dang

Legend
We don't need a dynamic return game. We need a reliable return game:
1) don't risk any starter on returning punts/kicks
2) put a backup RB on returning kicks with instruction to touchback/fair catch every possible kick and allow Offense to start on 25
3) find a punt returner that has goods hands with instruction to fair catch every risky punt

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Take a knee in the end zone, get the ball at the 25 instead of Pharoh returning it to the 25...

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I believe Natson is available and IMO an easy solution...The only issue is Natson is a PR/KR only, not much of a WR, but I like him in that role. I don't want anybody not securing the football.

I would think he would be a threat on jet sweeps as he does seem fearless in taking the ball up the field unlike Austin

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Their decision whether to put Cooper on IR with an opportunity to return will influence their decision on who returns kicks. If Cooper stays on the 53, then they need to use someone on the current roster. If Cooper goes to IR, they have the option of picking up a free agent for the next few weeks.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
yeah...figured Coop would be out... Man Michael Thomas can't catch a break.... his chance to take over at one of the return spots is here...and he's hurt...

I'm guessing we'll see Natson back.... I like Hodge..but I didn't see any return stats for him in college..

I've always wondered about Robey-Coleman returning punts... he definitely has wheels ...and he returned punts at USC...

also there may be a couple of guys who were cut late who have some returning capabilities....

I also see that Justin Davis had some Kick return experience at USC.... not sure he's got the handles for it at the NFL though

I agree ...I like Davis as a runner but I'm pretty sure you don't want somebody with hands of stone returning punts or kicks...If you're going to put a substance on your hands, it should be stick-em, not crisco oil !!!