Rams in search of PR/KR - Cooper & Thomas out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Date: Team: Pos:
Pharoh Cooper - WR - Rams
Rams KR/WR Pharoh Cooper has a "serious" ankle injury that is expected to sideline him multiple weeks.

Cooper was a first-team All Pro last season as a returner, so it's a significant loss for the Rams. His backup, WR Mike Thomas, is also hurt with a multi-week groin injury, putting L.A. in the market for some return-game help.

Source: Joe Curley on Twitter
Sep 11 - 8:05 PM

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if one of the RBs on the roster, who weren't active, can handle the job. Bringing in somebody else means either somebody has to go on IR for a long time, or somebody has to be cut.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I wonder if one of the RBs on the roster, who weren't active, can handle the job. Bringing in somebody else means either somebody has to go on IR for a long time, or somebody has to be cut.
We have Tanzel Smart and Isaiah Johnson. Yes, I'm quite sure we could make room.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have Tanzel Smart and Isaiah Johnson. Yes, I'm quite sure we could make room.

Doesn't Johnson play on all the special teams? So cutting him would reduce quality, presumably. Is that worthwhile for two or so games of improvement in the return game, over having players on the roster do it? I'm not sure, but that is certainly something the team has to consider. Smart has his own value, of course.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Doubt they cut anyone for a returner that would have incredibly limited value. Likely just fair catch the kickoffs (usually the better option anyway) and have Kupp field punta

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Doesn't Johnson play on all the special teams? So cutting him would reduce quality, presumably. Is that worthwhile for two or so games of improvement in the return game, over having players on the roster do it? I'm not sure, but that is certainly something the team has to consider. Smart has his own value, of course.
then let it be Smart, because we currently down 2 receivers for quite sometime. Do you have any brilliant ideas, because I'm all out of them... If I ever had any in the first place?

Edit: How about Brandon Allen?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
depends how long they think Thomas and Cooper will be out. I would hate for the Rams to lose somebody in a panic. I don't know how much Wade actually values Smart over others they can pick up later. I don't know if Kelly can really cover on punt returns - I suspect he can. If it's going to be a long time, then maybe they have to pick somebody up. I'm not sure if Natson will last long in the NFL, he's sort of small. My first impulse unless the injuries are serious though are to trust people on the roster. If the injuries are serious, then one can go on IR and the Rams can pick up somebody else for now.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Unfortunately Jets got Natson. Hodge is waiting patiently still in L.A it looks like...

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Having Thomas out at the same time really puts the Rams in a roster crunch at WR. I think they can get some use out of Everett in the slot, but they really need another WR.

Brandon Allen may end up being the odd man out as a #3 QB. That's just a luxury, even with Mannion looking bad in preseason.

The Rams may put Cooper or Thomas on IR. Boston Scott plays the wrong offensive position, but he'd be a great return man and special teams guy.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Whoever returns punts and kickoffs needs to value ball security above all else. Our return game is much more likely to lose a game for us by fumbling than winning one for us with a TD.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I don't see him on their active roster. Is he on the practice squad? If so, the Rams can sign him to the 53.
Stupid thing wasn’t updated. That’s old and I goofed he still is a free agent...