Rams hire Groh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MFaulk107

The Realness
So we're gonna have this guy call our passing plays, than hire another guy too call our running plays?

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like it, my only question/concern is why didn’t Gase take Groh with him to Miami :thinking: :hiding:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Seems like a good hire to get things rolling now lets see who they bring in next. I didn't think the RB coach was really an issue rolling out 4 pretty good backs over the last 3 years but I guess cleaning house meant nearly everyone gone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, let's hope that this works out. They at least made some sort of effort. I'm still disappointed with how things worked out. But I'll be hoping for the best. Groh has worked under some bright offensive minds and the Bears have done a solid job of developing WRs under him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't be averse to giving him the 2nd biggest WR contract in the NFL behind Megatron, the situation is that dire at the position.

Unfortunately, the Bears would have to be retarded to not do everything to re-sign him, and franchise tag him if necessary.

God dammit we could've just drafted him instead of Quick! Aaaaaarghhhhh!!!

Yea, I think the Bears will franchise him. Say what you want about injuries, he was one of the best WRs in the NFL this year when he played. He's still young. And he's super talented. He has Larry Fitzgerald potential.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I always had respect for his father. I like his background and youth to so he could relate to the younger players too. Give Fish credit for retooling the whole offense staff. It was overdue

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I wouldn't be averse to giving him the 2nd biggest WR contract in the NFL behind Megatron, the situation is that dire at the position.

Unfortunately, the Bears would have to be retarded to not do everything to re-sign him, and franchise tag him if necessary.

God dammit we could've just drafted him instead of Quick! Aaaaaarghhhhh!!!
I get the fervor over bringing in a proven young WR like Jeffery, but the nagging injuries and missed games do concern me.
My stance on uber-talented football players who aren't reliable due to durability differs from most fans. I have a lower tolerance for it.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Was QB coach when Bridgwater committed to Louisville, so I'll pretend it was all his doing and be optimistic.

RamBill

Legend
Rams hire Mike Groh as receivers coach, passing game coordinator
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...h-as-receivers-coach-passing-game-coordinator

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The Los Angeles Rams have one less piece of business to take care of this offseason. On Monday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher hired Mike Groh as his receivers coach and passing game coordinator, the team confirmed.

Groh, the son of former Virginia head coach Al Groh, spent the past three seasons as the receivers coach for the Chicago Bears. He replaces Ray Sherman in his new role with the Rams but with the expanded duties of being in charge of the passing game.

“I’m very excited to have Coach Groh join our staff,” Fisher said in a team release. “He’s a talented, young coach that has proven himself on the college level as well as in the NFL. We’re looking forward to what he will bring to our offense.”

In the passing game coordinator role, it's expected that Groh will help presumptive offensive coordinator Rob Boras in trying to spark a passing attack that ranked at the bottom of the league in most major categories. Boras has not yet "officially" been hired to that job, but it's a move that's been expected since the end of the season and will probably be cemented sooner than later.

Adding Groh is a way for the Rams to complement Boras' knowledge of the run game. When Fisher hired Frank Cignetti over Boras for the offensive coordinator job last year, he promoted Boras from tight ends coach to a bigger role that focused on the run game. With that still Boras' primary focus, the Rams have spent time seeking someone who can bolster their ailing passing game.

Over the past few weeks, the Rams have been connected to and/or in contact with the likes of John DeFilippo and Pat Shurmur, but they opted to go to Philadelphia and Minnesota, respectively. Tennessee's Jason Michael and Miami's Shawn Jefferson have also been bandied about as possibilities for roles with the Rams but chose other landing spots.

Groh played quarterback at the University of Virginia and has steadily climbed the coaching ladder since. He's spent time in various capacities with the New York Jets and at Virginia, Louisville and Alabama before spending the past three years with the Bears. In Chicago, Groh worked with the likes of receivers Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, both of whom posted 1,000-yard receiving seasons with Groh in charge.

Fisher's staff still has openings for running backs and tight ends coaches.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jeffery rookie season: 24 receptions for 367 yards.
Jeffery second season (Groh's first year): 89 receptions for 1,421 yards.

I realize it's not all Groh, probably had a great deal to do with Trestman, whose offensive knowledge is extensive. But it's great to see the production from his position group.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Not much to add that has not already been said. Seems like a decent hire. Fisher gets a lot of heat around these parts - Kudos for what, for now at least, appears to be a good choice.

I particularly like the fact Groh is set to man two positions. There were too many cooks in the kitchen last year, IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yeah....I like this hire....give a guy that played the game a chance that has had some success....hope he gets to draft a couple of wrs....maybe...re-sign....B Quick....ahahhaahahhaha

still a lil nepo involved...

Rams hire former Bears wide receiver coach Mike Groh
WRITTEN BY KYLE THELE POSTED: 01/25/2016, 02:19PM
AX215_1FE4_9.jpg
The Chicago Bears Mike Groh, Wide Receivers Coach, during practice at Halas Hall in Lake Forest, Ill., on Wednesday, April 17, 2013. | Andrew A. Nelles~Sun-Times Media
The Bears coaching staff took another hit Monday. After losing former offensive coordinator Adam Gase earlier in the month, they will now need to find a new wide receivers coach.

Monday, the Rams hired away Mike Groh from the Bears staff. Groh spent the last three seasons with the Bears. He will now take the same job with the Rams, as well as becoming their passing game coordinator.

Groh is widely regarded as a strong coach. He wasinstrumental in the development of Alshon Jeffery and expected to do the same with Kevin White.

The Bears worked with mostly sub-par wide receivers throughout the season. With Jeffery, White and Eddie Royal injured for most of the year, Groh was left to coach up more inexperienced and less talented pass catchers.

Groh was originally hired by the Marc Trestman staff. He was one of the few coaches to be held over when John Fox took over as the head coach.

Former quarterback coach Dowell Loggains has already been named the team’s next offensive coordinator. There is not an immediate replacement ready for Groh.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One hope that I have is that Boras and or Groh actually learn through each other and one of them becomes a good Offensive coordinator. If so, being a somewhat unknown in the OC circles the Rams will probably have them locked up for a while, without other teams coming after them. If so. I already have expressed how much better the Oline play was under Boras OC gig. Maybe that continues as well.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, let's hope that this works out. They at least made some sort of effort. I'm still disappointed with how things worked out. But I'll be hoping for the best. Groh has worked under some bright offensive minds and the Bears have done a solid job of developing WRs under him.

And Alshon Jeffery is on his way to Los Angeles

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Absolutely love this hire, he received some rave reviews as WR coach and now had a year to work under Gase which should aid him well. One would hope that since Groh played QB that should help with analyses as well.

I'm glad Fisher went outside his comfort zone and I'm looking forward to the other hires as well because it's only January and the Kool-Aid tastes stupendous as I toast to the Patriots loss.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Being from Va and pulling for the Cavliers as long as they were not playing the Huskers, I got to see Groh play a lot. He had grit and was a smart kid. He led Virginia to some pretty big wins at the time against teams like TCU, UGA, and FSU. I think this might be a pretty good hire.