Rams hire Groh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like another debate over the definition of nepotism is coming in 3..2..1....

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nepotism isn't always a bad thing in coaching circles. It means the guy was raised on football - at a minimum.

I like this hire - in fact, I like it better than the Shurmur rumors.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait - he didn't coach under Fisher in Tennessee? Is that allowed?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nepotism isn't always a bad thing in coaching circles. It means the guy was raised on football - at a minimum.

I like this hire - in fact, I like it better than the Shurmur rumors.
His dad was a darned good coach and Mike was a tough QB
I like this hire a lot too

RamBill

Legend
Rams hire Groh as WRs coach, passing game coordinator
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...0-be9d-dece247150d2.html#.VqZ6g_yzFAU.twitter

Coach Jeff Fisher filled two spots on his coaching staff with one hire Monday, adding Mike Groh as wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator.

Groh, 44, replaces Ray Sherman as wide receivers coach with the Rams and in his added duties as passing game coordinator will aid offensive coordinator Rob Boras. Monday's move obviously means that Boras will be back as offensive coordinator after handling those duties for the final four games of the 2015 season following the dismissal of Frank Cignetti.

Fisher had leaned that way all along _ towards retaining Boras _ but since Boras' background was so heavily in the running game area, Fisher wanted to add someone to his staff who could provide a boost knowledge-wise in the passing game.

Groh is a former quarterback at the University of Virginia and is the son of Al Groh, former head coach of the New York Jets and at Virginia.

Mike Groh spent the past three seasons as wide receivers coach with the Chicago Bears, where he worked with a couple of bright offensive minds in Bears head coach Marc Trestman in 2013-14 and last season with offensive coordinator Adam Gase, now the head coach for the Miami Dolphins.

Groh has also worked at the college level at Virginia, Alabama, and Louisville.

Fisher also interviewed former Cleveland offensive coordinator John DeFilippo, and Tennessee Titans quarterbacks coach Jason Michael for the position. The Rams requested permission to interview Philadelphia offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur for the job, but that interview apparently never took place as Shurmur took a post with the Minnesota Vikings instead.

Fisher is still looking to add a tight ends coach and running backs coach to his staff.

jjab360

Legend
I don't even care who he is, I would just like to take this moment to thank GOD we actually made an outside hire.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Encouraging hire from outside Rams park that isn't from Tennessee or Cleveland. I like it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This looks like a solid hire. Great and consistent production from his players. QB as a player, and has done QB coach and OC in the collegiate ranks. Was considered but didn't make the cut as Fox's QB coach but he was from the previous regime and surviving when a coach like Fox comes in by itself is a good sign.

Gotta give credit to Fox for letting the young coach move to a better job, too. I think Groh was under contract, might be wrong there but pretty sure they let him roll out. Anyway, Fish is due to hit the lottery on a former coach's son at some point, right?

jjab360

Legend
Screw that - let's hope he brings Alshon with him!
I wouldn't be averse to giving him the 2nd biggest WR contract in the NFL behind Megatron, the situation is that dire at the position.

Unfortunately, the Bears would have to be retarded to not do everything to re-sign him, and franchise tag him if necessary.

God dammit we could've just drafted him instead of Quick! Aaaaaarghhhhh!!!