Rams have released LB Mark Barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Do the Rams make Barron a June 1 cut?

If they don't it's around 3.33 Million dead money this year or half that over two years around 1.67 Million if they do.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
But it's not just about getting the start - he had trouble getting any playing time as a backup, despite the lack of productivity from the players ahead of him. The Rams had a serious hole at ILB, and yet Kiser got very little time outside of special teams.

Wade likes to groom young players for the next season. But Kiser was not particularly groomed - unlike Littleton or Ebu, for two examples. Despite the Rams needing somebody at Kiser's position - otherwise, how do you explain the league last YPC?

The first season there were injuries & Hager got playing time as a starter.

Kiser improved in preseason from training camp a lot. His speed started to show.He was making plays.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Do the Rams make Barron a June 1 cut?

If they don't it's around 3.33 Million dead money this year or half that over two years around 1.67 Million if they do.

Thought he got cut ?

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Look, I like McVay a lot. But here's a spoiler alert - he sometimes spins things in press conferences. (paraphrase) "Gurley is healthy - I just chose to not use the best offensive player on the team very heavily in the Super Bowl." Nobody intentionally plans to be last in an important defensive category. They thought they could go on the cheap for their linebackers, trading two from 2017 (and letting another go to free agency) and keeping the undersized guy with injury history and filling in the gaps with Littleton - who had played well in part-time duty, and got a LOT of practice time in 2017, so I understand that even if he is undersized for MLB. Ebu who they were hoping would take a bigger leap forward; various other budget or uninspiring choices, including some being moved from DE to OLB, and some late round picks, like Kiser. Kiser was active every week for special teams, so they could easily have subbed him in at times - if they felt he was ready and could help in the run game, but he got very little non-ST playing time. The year before John Johnson got backup playing time from the beginning, and when they decided that the starter wasn't getting the results they wanted, made Johnson the starter. Wade is clearly prepared to give young players playing time when it is merited.

McVay and Wade are a great coaching team - but not perfect. Mistakes do get made. Underemphasizing the linebacker corps, with the idea that Wade works miracles there every time and immediately, was one.

Oh, and I'd say that a better run defense would have had a decent chance of changing the results of the first Saints game. They didn't average 5.1 ypc, but if the Rams gave up that much yardage every game they would have been 30th against the rush overall. More importantly, the Saints had 34 attempts, including 2 kneeldowns. In the 32 regular attempts they got 2 TDs and 8 first downs. All those first downs gave Brees more attempts to burn the Rams' secondary, and also tired out the defense.

It's things like that which make me hope they have a plan A for MLB, with hopefully Kiser able to be a quality backup.

I think your way off dude ??

1. Hager & Wilson we’re backups going in.
2. Hager actually started a game in 2017.
3. Ogletree had value, but not worth a 4 year investment.
4.Kiser was not a position The Rams were looking to replace. It was a total VALUE pick.
5.Kiser lead The Rams in Tackles during the preseason.
6.Suh was a guy Ogletree & Quinn’s contracts helped make room for the cap. Add a comp pick for Suh & draft picks from those 2.
7.The Rams went with youth & ObO was injured.The market never played out. The Rams traded for Fowler & rented him for a price.Should get value back from comp pick ?
8. Barron has had a contract that is horrible!! They ate the contract for experience & time to develop the younger players.
9.Barron was not coming off the field, because of his diversity .
10. Littleton was MIC & came off during short yardage. Hager & Wilson have earned there playing time. Kiser maybe the Mic & Littleton move to WSL ?

Littleton played excellent in the biggest stage of 2018/19 !! The Rams defense did not lose that game.
—Joyner was franchised & DB’s we’re a weakness going into 2018 season. The Rams did great making trades for Peters & Talib. Without those 2 CB’s The Rams would have been in trouble. Add Sam Shields from nowhere on teams radar ?
The Rams learned more about there needs during 2018 & know there strengths.
I think a DT will help the run game. Add a FS & edge rusher & The Rams will be in good shape. I won’t ever say The Rams will not try to upgrade when the opportunity is there.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look, I like McVay a lot. But here's a spoiler alert - he sometimes spins things in press conferences. (paraphrase) "Gurley is healthy - I just chose to not use the best offensive player on the team very heavily in the Super Bowl." Nobody intentionally plans to be last in an important defensive category. They thought they could go on the cheap for their linebackers, trading two from 2017 (and letting another go to free agency) and keeping the undersized guy with injury history and filling in the gaps with Littleton - who had played well in part-time duty, and got a LOT of practice time in 2017, so I understand that even if he is undersized for MLB. Ebu who they were hoping would take a bigger leap forward; various other budget or uninspiring choices, including some being moved from DE to OLB, and some late round picks, like Kiser. Kiser was active every week for special teams, so they could easily have subbed him in at times - if they felt he was ready and could help in the run game, but he got very little non-ST playing time. The year before John Johnson got backup playing time from the beginning, and when they decided that the starter wasn't getting the results they wanted, made Johnson the starter. Wade is clearly prepared to give young players playing time when it is merited.

McVay and Wade are a great coaching team - but not perfect. Mistakes do get made. Underemphasizing the linebacker corps, with the idea that Wade works miracles there every time and immediately, was one.

Oh, and I'd say that a better run defense would have had a decent chance of changing the results of the first Saints game. They didn't average 5.1 ypc, but if the Rams gave up that much yardage every game they would have been 30th against the rush overall. More importantly, the Saints had 34 attempts, including 2 kneeldowns. In the 32 regular attempts they got 2 TDs and 8 first downs. All those first downs gave Brees more attempts to burn the Rams' secondary, and also tired out the defense.

It's things like that which make me hope they have a plan A for MLB, with hopefully Kiser able to be a quality backup.

All coaches spin things - I'm not just taking that at face value. Consider:

The Rams defense made more game saving stops (Vikings, Seahawks, Chargers, Chiefs x 2) than the offense did game winning plays (Chiefs).

The Saints game is a bad example, because our defense was without Talib - but even factoring that in, the defense shut down the Saints in the 2nd half to allow our offense to get the ball down 38-35. Our offense went three and out, and our run defense responded by getting the Saints to 3rd and 8 - then Marcus Peters happened.

When the playoffs started, the Rams run defense became elite - against two great running teams (Cowboys and Saints), and played well against the Patriots until the last drive of the game when the Patriots padded their rushing numbers significantly.

What does all this tell us? That the defense was always capable and was playing a certain way based on what the coaches wanted. But when the chips were down in all these games, the defense came through.

This is obviously a 1st round talent, but let's go back to last year and pretend we're Chiefs fans:

"You think Mahomes is ready to start? We were crashing and burning last year and he couldn't even take over for Alex Smith who has always just been an average QB."

Just because Kiser couldn't play right away, and then couldn't overcome Barron/Littleton - who were instrumental to a defense that was ELITE when they needed to be - doesn't mean he can't play.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Thought he got cut ?

They did. Their cap number jumped from 22 mil to 29 mil after not picking up Sullivan's option. I'm starting to think Saffold will walk and they target some defensive players. Noteboom and Allen might be our new starters on the line.

Ram65

Legend

So the Rams are carrying the 3.3 Million in dead cap space this season 2019 on the Barron deal.

I guess it's no big deal but, still hate seeing dead money.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This Wade interior weakside LB'er position is a demanding post to play. However, whomever fills this now open vacancy has to be a special player who can be a jack of all trades type of skilled player. Barron was a perfect fit (when healthy) but the fact was he was not healthy & there was strong evidence that Barron would not be the player that he was ever again. It's going to be an interesting story this offseason to see who ends up starting in this post. The release of Mark Barron was a wise move IMO with no regrets.

The Rams do have a Player who played this post a lot under contract Marqui Christian. He is listed as a 5-11/207 lb strong safety & is entering his 4th season as a Ram. I suspect he is about 10 pounds heavier than that posted listing. Christian started his experience playing LB'er early in TC & preseason when Barron was rehabbing. MC was working with now UFA ex-Chief Ramik Wilson. Wilson did a good job in the running game but his skills in coverage were lacking thus MC came to the rescue somewhat in the coverage area.

Wade got some help from Snead 2018 draft when hybrid Strong Saftey/ LB'er Travin Howard 6-1/220 was selected. I would imagine that Howard will get a long look in TC in this WSILB post. Unless Wade thinks Howard would help him out in his safety cadre. Rams could easily resign UFA Ramik Wilson back @ a low-cost cap hit if needed for some reserve help too.

My pick has always been Cory Littleton to fill this Vacant post. Cory is blessed with the perfect skills to master this post for Wade. If this does happen this the mike post will now get the special attention in FA'cy & the draft. Micah Kiser would take the lead @ mike, which is fine with me. UFA MLB'er Bryce Hager could also be signed back @ a low-cost cap hit & make ST coach Bones very happy too. This 2019 draft is jammed full of very good MLB'ers who stand to fall down to the 3rd day of the draft.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
So the Rams are carrying the 3.3 Million in dead cap space this season 2019 on the Barron deal.

I always have dead money when I get paid.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

if barron stayed or went that money was always gonna be on the books. the price teams pay when they give signing bonuses.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I speculated that we might bring Mark back. He doesn't play a position of value to many other teams when you factor in his injury history and how his knee has acted up in cold weather. Hopefully we can re-sign him for cheap.