Rams have released LB Mark Barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

giphy.gif

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been saying this for a long time now. People dismiss the picks made in last years draft because they were later round picks (on the defensive side of the ball).

But when you have an elite offense, the best defensive player in the NFL, a stud safety and a top 5 CB unit - this is exactly what we should be doing. Drafting role players, giving them a year to develop and then plugging them in.

I'm sure we'll upgrade a position or two on D, but if we ended up with JFM, Joseph-Day, Kiser and Obo all starting next year I would have no issue with it.

Success breeds success and lots of the Patriots players that go and get paid aren't nearly as good as people think they are - because of Brady, Belichick, the systems etc. That's what we would be doing by plugging these guys in. Can't have all pros at every position.

I'd be upset if they went into training camp with Obo and Kiser as plan A for their positions. Obo fell to pick 160 at a desirable position, and then was hurt before training camp, never had even one full speed practice play. Edge is too key to have a player like that be the plan. Kiser was healthy all season, but despite the Rams' huge and blatant issues with stopping the run, only played a small number of plays not on special teams. Have them in the mix for backups yes. If enough happens maybe they will end up starting at some point in 2019. But the Rams need to put some significant resources into those positions. I'd think maybe a high pick for Edge if they can't sign anybody, and a lower level but not blue plate special veteran for the middle.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be upset if they went into training camp with Obo and Kiser as plan A for their positions.

Wade, Les and Sean just lost a lot of sleep leading up to the draft because they know now that you'll be unhappy.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
https://www.pe.com/2019/03/05/rams-cut-ties-with-john-sullivan-mark-barron-two-super-bowl-starters/
Rams cut ties with John Sullivan, Mark Barron – two Super Bowl starters
In a pair of cost-cutting moves meant to ease an otherwise cap-strapped offseason, the Rams bid adieu to two players who each played key roles in the team’s run to the Super Bowl last season.

Center John Sullivan, who helped stabilize the Rams’ resurgent offensive line over the past two seasons, will become an unrestricted free agent next week after the Rams chose not to exercise his option, while oft-injured inside linebacker Mark Barron was cut on Tuesday with two years still remaining on his contract.

The shrewd roster moves were made with salary cap savings in mind, as the Rams retool for another run at the Super Bowl. By refusing to pick up Sullivan’s option, the Rams will save $5.5 million in cap space. Cutting Barron, meanwhile, will save an additional $6.33 million, while incurring a separate dead cap hit of $3.33 million.

With both off the books, the Rams will have nearly $35.5 million to work with this offseason, 12th-most in the NFL and second-most among playoff teams from last season. Of those playoff teams, only the Colts, who have an eye-popping $105 million in cap space, have more to spend.

But savings aside, the Rams’ departures leave gaping holes in a depth chart that wasn’t exactly deep along the offensive line or in the linebacking corps.

Last offseason, Sullivan signed a two-year deal for $10.75 million to stay with the Rams, and the offensive line proceeded to emerge as one of the NFL’s best in 2018, paving the way for one of the league’s best rushing attacks. Sullivan, who will turn 34 before next season, didn’t miss a single game due to injury in his two seasons with the Rams, and since his arrival in 2017, teammates have spoken highly of his influence on the locker room.

But the presence of young backup Brian Allen, who impressed coaches in limited action as a rookie, was apparently enough to convince the Rams to cut ties with their veteran center. Allen, a fourth-round pick from Michigan State, is expected to take over on the starting offensive line. He might not be the only new face up front.

While veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth will return for his 14th season after briefly mulling retirement, Rodger Saffold’s future in Los Angeles is still uncertain. The longest-tenured player on the Rams offense, Saffold is expected to be one of the most coveted interior linemen on the free agent market. The 30-year-old guard has expressed interest in returning to the Rams, but General Manager Les Snead said at the NFL Scouting Combine last week that the team will allow its free agents to test the open market.

That group, which includes safety Lamarcus Joyner, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and edge rusher Dante Fowler, now also extends to Barron, who spent the last two seasons playing through nagging injuries in the middle of the Rams defensive front.

A former first-round pick of the Buccaneers, Barron was traded to the Rams in 2014 and moved from safety to inside linebacker, where he quickly hit his stride, developing into a reliable starter. Barron racked up more than 100 tackles in each of his first two seasons with the team, but injuries affected his play over the past two seasons. Last year, a sore ankle kept Barron out for the first month of the season. In the 12 games he played, Barron managed just 43 tackles, a career-low.

Still, Barron’s release leaves another important opening on the Rams defense, with no consensus replacement waiting in the wings. Fellow starting inside linebacker Cory Littleton will return, but Barron’s backup from a season ago, Ramik Wilson, is an unrestricted free agent, as is fellow linebacker Bryce Hager. Micah Kiser, a fifth-round pick last season, might be the most logical in-house option, after emerging as a special teams standout as a rookie. But Kiser finished with just four tackles during his rookie campaign.

Neither Joyner nor Suh are expected to return, either, leaving the Rams with at least three starters to replace on defense this offseason.

With this decision, Snead has begun the process to the retooling of the interior of his defense. He has cleared the way to resign range tall 25 yr old Cory Littleton & insert him into the weakside ILB post to patrol & secure down its responsibilities. This will strengthen & upgrade this post from last season.

Not sure what Wade will do now in filling in the MLB'er post but he does have two 2nd year LB'ers who Snead selected for him available. Micah Kiser is a true throwback thumper & banger who ST play stood out. Kiser may end up as a 2 down backer but he will hit & shut down any leaks that spring up.

This forum has voiced its concerns about Kiser possible liability in coverage....but Wade has another backer Travin Howard who is a proven "ball magnet" who runs 4.5's in the '40s & played safety & LB'er for TCU. Howard does fit the profile as a Nickel Linebacker. Howard does not have issues in coverages & could team with Kiser in the MLB'er post.

With the release of ILB Barron & the UFA'cy status of ILB'ers Bryce Hager & Ramik Wilson will leave some roster spots for a few new ILB'ers. I would expect to see the signing of a veteran & drafting of MLB'ers.

Kiser and Howard have got a lot of talent...and I'd love to see them get a real shot a playing time this camp...

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I'd be upset if they went into training camp with Obo and Kiser as plan A for their positions. Obo fell to pick 160 at a desirable position, and then was hurt before training camp, never had even one full speed practice play. Edge is too key to have a player like that be the plan. Kiser was healthy all season, but despite the Rams' huge and blatant issues with stopping the run, only played a small number of plays not on special teams. Have them in the mix for backups yes. If enough happens maybe they will end up starting at some point in 2019. But the Rams need to put some significant resources into those positions. I'd think maybe a high pick for Edge if they can't sign anybody, and a lower level but not blue plate special veteran for the middle.

I can live with the Kiser option (I, along with a few others here, was hoping he would see more PT last year) but would be a little circumspect with Obo being the pencilled in starter. I have high hopes for him but as you say, he hasn't seen the field yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm very skeptical on Kiser even given Wade's history of wizardry with unheralded ILBs. Sure would be nice to see him step up big in year 2 though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm very skeptical on Kiser even given Wade's history of wizardry with unheralded ILBs. Sure would be nice to see him step up big in year 2 though.

I'm not sure why you're skeptical. He was an uber productive college LB who tested well at the Combine. Sure, he's not Bobby Wagner, but his strengths and weaknesses play well next to Littleton. He is what we wanted all year. He is a guy who is at his best stuffing the run and banging inside. It makes sense why Wade wouldn't want a rookie out there at Mike. But if they trust him going into 2019, that says it all for me. Wade knows ILBs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure why you're skeptical. He was an uber productive college LB who tested well at the Combine. Sure, he's not Bobby Wagner, but his strengths and weaknesses play well next to Littleton. He is what we wanted all year. He is a guy who is at his best stuffing the run and banging inside. It makes sense why Wade wouldn't want a rookie out there at Mike. But if they trust him going into 2019, that says it all for me. Wade knows ILBs.

This offseason will demonstrate what they really think. We'll see what they do with the position.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
This offseason will demonstrate what they really think. We'll see what they do with the position.
I can see where you're coming from @Merlin , but I really don't think the Rams had any intention of letting anyone but Barron and Little play ILB. My opinion was Kiser was going to be in Special Teams all along, (which is why Ramik Wilson got the start) getting a year under his belt of what it means to be an NFL player, and then the following year give him a real shot at starting. But that's all it is, a shot. Now he'll have to go out and prove he's got what it takes.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see where you're coming from @Merlin , but I really don't think the Rams had any intention of letting anyone but Barron and Little play ILB. My opinion was Kiser was going to be in Special Teams all along, (which is why Ramik Wilson got the start) getting a year under his belt of what it means to be an NFL player, and then the following year give him a real shot at starting. But that's all it is, a shot. Now he'll have to go out and prove he's got what it takes.

But it's not just about getting the start - he had trouble getting any playing time as a backup, despite the lack of productivity from the players ahead of him. The Rams had a serious hole at ILB, and yet Kiser got very little time outside of special teams.

Wade likes to groom young players for the next season. But Kiser was not particularly groomed - unlike Littleton or Ebu, for two examples. Despite the Rams needing somebody at Kiser's position - otherwise, how do you explain the league last YPC?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I really doubt that we'll go in expecting Obo to take over - I'm sure we'll at least get some competition for him. As you point out, he couldn't even really practice last year, so he'll have to really prove himself in camp.

Kiser is different. He probably got plenty of reps with Barron being injured, and got a ton of play on special teams. Wade and McVay really didn't care about the "blatant issues stopping the run" - McVay said many times that the numbers don't reflect how the defense was playing.

Plus, this staff allowed Mo Alexander to start for four games before plugging in John Johnson - I trust them to know when a young guy is ready. Kiser/Littleton/Hager/Wilson - if the latter two stay - is something we should all get acclimated to.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But it's not just about getting the start - he had trouble getting any playing time as a backup, despite the lack of productivity from the players ahead of him. The Rams had a serious hole at ILB, and yet Kiser got very little time outside of special teams.

Wade likes to groom young players for the next season. But Kiser was not particularly groomed - unlike Littleton or Ebu, for two examples. Despite the Rams needing somebody at Kiser's position - otherwise, how do you explain the league last YPC?

That's your opinion and I doubt it was shared by Wade.

Kiser was obviously not going to start the first few weeks - it takes rookies time to get acclimated - and then Barron was back. At that point we had no holes at ILB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Here's my 3 cent thoughts on why Kiser had very few snaps playing on the defense was due to having:

#1-The young 24 yr old Cory Littleton was inserted into Ogletree's mike post. CL was named a starter for the first time. CL was also moved inside to play for the first time in 2018 in his 3rd season in the NFL. CL was crucial to the Wade defense because he was the defensive signal caller on the field for Wade, also a first time for CL.

CL's rookie NFL season he started 1 gm. & finished 2 others as the starting WSLB'er in a 43 D. In his 2nd season CL was Mark Barron's back up @ there weakside ILB post. In college, CL was an edge rushing DE. Finally the main reason ....CL remained healthy for the entire season & started in 19 games as the mike LB'er.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/cory-littleton?id=2555524

#2- 4th yr veteran Bryce Hager was the back to CL & the Nike post. Like CL Hager remained healthy for the entire season. Fact is Bryce Hager has never missed an NFL game in four seasons.

#3- Rookie Micah Kiser is a mike LB'er, who was 3rd in line reserve for this post. There were no injuries to either the starter or the top reserve for this post. Kiser skills are exclusively made for the mike position in the Wade D. Wade's injury issues @ LB'er were ongoing on the outside LB'ing positions & the weakside interior post. None of which Kiser was drafted to play,y nor does his many good skills fit those particular positions.

In summary, Kiser had no hand in why he almost never saw the field in Wade's defense. Instead, Rookie Kiser main role & assignment was to play a major role in all the ST units coached by Bones. Kiser's performance was outstanding & showed no indications in his first season that he had any dark clouds or negative concerns in his future as a Ram mike LB'er for Wade.

P.S. I was under the impression that when Ogletree was traded the entire NFL world was questioning the Rams & Wade. His early comments to insert a virtually unknown former college DE/OLB'er & edge rusher & UDFA Cory Littleton into the all-important MLB'ing defensive caller position. I think I might have heard that this same unknown LB'er eventually awarded Pro Bowl (2018) plus Second-team All-Pro (2018)..... But what does Wade know about 34 D Inside LB'ers anyway.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree with you on much of that Akrasian, but I didn't want to get into a deal where I'm bagging on the guy. If the Rams are thinking he might have what they need that's cool and we'll see. But for myself I remember watching his college tape and he looked uncomfortable in space and I recall being surprised by his 40 time because he never looked quick or fast to me on film other than direct fills on run action.

But I don't want to get into long back and forths where I find myself bagging on him. I do hope he shows us something next season and if the Rams are really high on him then maybe he will. As my earlier reply to Jrry I'm in the wait and see mode right now because what the team says to certain reporters isn't always what they're thinking. If they stand pat at ILB and/or he wins the job I'll be rooting for him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with you on much of that Akrasian, but I didn't want to get into a deal where I'm bagging on the guy. If the Rams are thinking he might have what they need that's cool and we'll see. But for myself I remember watching his college tape and he looked uncomfortable in space and I recall being surprised by his 40 time because he never looked quick or fast to me on film other than direct fills on run action.

But I don't want to get into long back and forths where I find myself bagging on him. I do hope he shows us something next season and if the Rams are really high on him then maybe he will. As my earlier reply to Jrry I'm in the wait and see mode right now because what the team says to certain reporters isn't always what they're thinking. If they stand pat at ILB and/or he wins the job I'll be rooting for him.

Don't get me wrong - I think he can be a contributor at some point. But if he wasn't good enough to get playing time with the Rams last season when their defense was last in the league in YPC allowed, then I'd rather he not be plan A for 2019. As I've said elsewhere - I want the Rams to get a vet as their first choice - not a star, but somebody who has played and who Wade has seen as fitting the Rams' needs as a thumper who can also handle basic pass defense on running downs - with Littleton sliding over to fill Barron's spot.

But yes, we will see what the Rams will do.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't get me wrong - I think he can be a contributor at some point. But if he wasn't good enough to get playing time with the Rams last season when their defense was last in the league in YPC allowed, then I'd rather he not be plan A for 2019. As I've said elsewhere - I want the Rams to get a vet as their first choice - not a star, but somebody who has played and who Wade has seen as fitting the Rams' needs as a thumper who can also handle basic pass defense on running downs - with Littleton sliding over to fill Barron's spot.

But yes, we will see what the Rams will do.

I implore you to go listen to McVay's press conferences where he answered questions about our defense.

Then re-watch the games and tell me when being last in YPC allowed lost us a game.

Spoiler alert: it didn't. Obviously they'd have liked to have been better both times against Seattle, but short of those games, allowing yards to the Bears and Patriots didn't stop them from putting up outstanding overall defensive performances in both of those games.

They came in wanting to play a certain style of defense that complemented the offense and overall, the defense was the better unit as I reflect on this season. I don't care what the stats show. When the chips were down, the defense performed better overall and the ILBs were a part of that - so it should be obvious why Kiser didn't play this year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I implore you to go listen to McVay's press conferences where he answered questions about our defense.

Then re-watch the games and tell me when being last in YPC allowed lost us a game.

Spoiler alert: it didn't. Obviously they'd have liked to have been better both times against Seattle, but short of those games, allowing yards to the Bears and Patriots didn't stop them from putting up outstanding overall defensive performances in both of those games.

They came in wanting to play a certain style of defense that complemented the offense and overall, the defense was the better unit as I reflect on this season. I don't care what the stats show. When the chips were down, the defense performed better overall and the ILBs were a part of that - so it should be obvious why Kiser didn't play this year.

Look, I like McVay a lot. But here's a spoiler alert - he sometimes spins things in press conferences. (paraphrase) "Gurley is healthy - I just chose to not use the best offensive player on the team very heavily in the Super Bowl." Nobody intentionally plans to be last in an important defensive category. They thought they could go on the cheap for their linebackers, trading two from 2017 (and letting another go to free agency) and keeping the undersized guy with injury history and filling in the gaps with Littleton - who had played well in part-time duty, and got a LOT of practice time in 2017, so I understand that even if he is undersized for MLB. Ebu who they were hoping would take a bigger leap forward; various other budget or uninspiring choices, including some being moved from DE to OLB, and some late round picks, like Kiser. Kiser was active every week for special teams, so they could easily have subbed him in at times - if they felt he was ready and could help in the run game, but he got very little non-ST playing time. The year before John Johnson got backup playing time from the beginning, and when they decided that the starter wasn't getting the results they wanted, made Johnson the starter. Wade is clearly prepared to give young players playing time when it is merited.

McVay and Wade are a great coaching team - but not perfect. Mistakes do get made. Underemphasizing the linebacker corps, with the idea that Wade works miracles there every time and immediately, was one.

Oh, and I'd say that a better run defense would have had a decent chance of changing the results of the first Saints game. They didn't average 5.1 ypc, but if the Rams gave up that much yardage every game they would have been 30th against the rush overall. More importantly, the Saints had 34 attempts, including 2 kneeldowns. In the 32 regular attempts they got 2 TDs and 8 first downs. All those first downs gave Brees more attempts to burn the Rams' secondary, and also tired out the defense.

It's things like that which make me hope they have a plan A for MLB, with hopefully Kiser able to be a quality backup.