Rams GM hints at urgent extension for Cooks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are a lot of reasons to resign Cooks... he is young, he is very good, and he will be paired with Woods and Kupp, and these guys have all the makings of a high-flying, exciting, pass-happy offense for several years. Just what this organization (and new stadium) needs right now. Les Snead has done an outstanding job building this team and this brand for Kroenke! But I want Cooks AND Donald!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If not, then they will get the next guy.

I'm not worried.
giphy.gif

"yes....it will work itself out."

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
There are a lot of reasons to resign Cooks... he is young, he is very good, and he will be paired with Woods and Kupp, and these guys have all the makings of a high-flying, exciting, pass-happy offense for several years. Just what this organization (and new stadium) needs right now. Les Snead has done an outstanding job building this team and this brand for Kroenke! But I want Cooks AND Donald!!

Agreed - While it may not be a catastrophe if the Rams don't sign Cooks to an extension I do think it would be very important not only because of the skills that he brings to the Rams but also because I think it would be nice for the continuity it would bring to the Rams Offense and Jared Goff. I think Cooks is a great WR and teamed with Woods and Kupp the Rams passing game would be in great shape for a long time (And, Their running game is already in great shape with Gurley and hopefully in even better shape with the addition of Kelly!)!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's had 3 seasons as a very heavily used RB already - he's young, but that's more abuse than most RBs have at his age, so I wouldn't bet the farm on him not losing a step before 30.

229, 278,279 that's his year by year tally for carries. Not so bad.

And yeah RB's are available all the time, but not ones with Gurley's level of talent runnung, catching and blocking.

Why are you assuming Cooks wants too much cheddar?

What I said is if he has a big year he will want a big contract.

Ram65

Legend
What I said is if he has a big year he will want a big contract.

Look at Watkins. He didn't have a big year and got a big contract.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/sammy-watkins-14413/

Rams can't wait till after the season. That's the whole point of the urgency to get Cooks signed now over the next month or two before the season.

"We've been in discussions with his agents and they're well aware we want to get something done," Snead said to Adam Schein of Mad Dog Sports Radio. "We do think he's a perfect fit for us. We want to make sure that he's around, and around for a long time. We also have some other contracts we need to deal with over the next month, two months."

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
229, 278,279 that's his year by year tally for carries. Not so bad.

And yeah RB's are available all the time, but not ones with Gurley's level of talent runnung, catching and blocking.

Plus 128 receptions total. That's averaging over 300 times with the ball per year - and it's gone up per season, after his shortened rookie season. It's not that he'll be toast after 7 seasons at that pace, but he'll either have lost a step or likely would soon. I was saying that getting the first 7 seasons from him cheap, and then letting him go (for a pick!) might make sense for a team that has multiple stars to pay, rather than sign him to an expensive extension and have a decent chance of a major cap hit for his decline phase. I'd rather keep him for many reasons, but Snead doesn't have the option of sentimentality if he wants to keep the Rams at the top.