RAMS FINAL ROSTER - BIGGEST SURPRISES

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Would really like to see some other RAMS FANS opinions on who they thought were the biggest surprises (Both on the players that made the Final Roster and those who didn’t).

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Evans making the 53. He has proven that he isn't good.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chris Garrett doesn’t even make the practice squad. I wasn’t expecting that.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Do we really need a 3'rd bench warming QB over a 3'rd TE or additional OL depth ?
They Rams only had two TEs active on game-day about 3 or 4 times in 21 games last season, including the Post-season. Similar to last year, they'll have two TEs on the Practice Squad in case of injury.

O-Line ... I know you have concerns. Many of us do. Personally, I was hoping for Max Scharping or Blake Nance off-waivers but they were claimed by the Bengals and Niners.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
They Rams only had two TEs active on game-day about 3 or 4 times in 21 games last season, including the Post-season. Similar to last year, they'll have two TEs on the Practice Squad in case of injury.

O-Line ... I know you have concerns. Many of us do. Personally, I was hoping for Max Scharping or Blake Nance off-waivers but they were claimed by the Bengals and Niners.

TE Carter is a demon on STs. Higbee is wearing down/getting hurt more often.
I would think Carter would see the field more than either of the two backup QBs.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Last year we didn't have a blocking TE like we did the previous year with Mundt, forcing us into a number of 2021 occasions where we adopted a 'Jumbo' offensive lineman to act out the role, usually unsuccessfully. jmo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
TE Carter is a demon on STs. Higbee is wearing down/getting hurt more often.
I would think Carter would see the field more than either of the two backup QBs.
Sure, if Carter was game-day active. That's a big IF because the Rams rarely had 3 TEs active on game-day last season.

And they can activate Practice Squad players, without taking them off the PS. All kinds of goofy rules in place. I think there's a limit to the number of times that can be done for a specific player.

McVay always talks about putting together a 53-man-roster, and a game-day roster (46-48 ... whatever the current rules allow) that gives the team the best chance to win that week's game. For the vast majority of the games last year, that was just two TEs. Now Special Teams are important, so maybe Carter gets activated for some games.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Last year we didn't have a blocking TE like we did the previous year with Mundt, forcing us into a number of 2021 occasions where we adopted a 'Jumbo' offensive lineman to act out the role, usually unsuccessfully. jmo.
That's true; and, I agree, their short-yardage run-game was kind of weak. However, before Mundt was injured (Game 6?), the Rams were still going with just two TEs dressed on game-day.

As I mentioned above, the Practice Squad rules have changed the past couple years, giving teams more flexibility to play PS-players on Sunday while not changing their Practice-Squad-designation.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Serious question. Do backup QBs bring additional value to the team such as teaching others the playbook, game planning, scouting the opposition, etc.?

From a purely talent and potential contribution in the future, both Wolfotd and Perkins are well below players in other positions. There must be imo reasons that are not related to related to game day performance/potential that explains Rams keeping 3 QBs

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Serious question. Do backup QBs bring additional value to the team such as teaching others the playbook, game planning, scouting the opposition, etc.?

From a purely talent and potential contribution in the future, both Wolfotd and Perkins are well below players in other positions. There must be imo reasons that are not related to related to game day performance/potential that explains Rams keeping 3 QBs
Running the scout team is one thing McVay stressed all preseason that people didn't seem to pay attention to.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That's true; and, I agree, their short-yardage run-game was kind of weak. However, before Mundt was injured (Game 6?), the Rams were still going with just two TEs dressed on game-day.

Of course, at that time the Rams had absolutely no confidence in Hopkins or Blanton, so dressing two TE's made more sense until Higbee also went down. It's 2022 now, so that 3'rd Blocking TE should be more relevant if they choose to dress Hopkins. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Running the scout team is one thing McVay stressed all preseason that people didn't seem to pay attention to.

But couldn't that still be done off the practice squad ?

One big job is holding a clipboard on the sidelines. :)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But couldn't that still be done off the practice squad ?

One big job is holding a clipboard on the sidelines. :)
You'd have to ask McVay, just saying what he wanted and was looking at for keeping both guys on the roster. Trust in McSnead.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Like some others Evans was a surprise. He's going into year 4 and we have not seen any improvement. If a couple youngsters were playing at the same level it woulda been better going with one of them because they might improve. If Evans was going to improve you'd think he would have by now. The only thing I can think of is the experience. They're not a rebuilding team. They want to win now. Development will be on the practice squad not the field.