Rams cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I like What Seau has shown
but I cannot see him beating out Sims or Longacre. Sims is established and he can play Inside. Longacre is an absolute keeper and he would get the nod over Seau. In fact I would pick Longacre over both Sims and Westbrook as well. Westbrooks spot is the one that could be threatened by Seau but EW has inside out versatility that Seau does not. I personally like Seau better than Westbrooks as a pure pass rusher though.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
People said the same thing about Longacre but he made it to PS and he's way better than Seau.
Yep. very true.... but bet you there are many NFL teams this pre season that are saying ........wow we had a chance at him last season early & are hoping that they will get another opportunity @ Matt here in a week too.

Would agree with you that Matt is a complete young DE now in so many ways.........however Ian Seau is much further along than Matt was last years at this time in his pass rush skills. Ian appears to be a natural pass rusher with surprising power in a lightweight frame at this young stage in his early career & will get nothing but better just like Matt did. I will argue that the Rams are in need of some edge pass rushers when you have DE's like Sims & Hayes starting so much of the time. We should see a ton of Ian against the Vikings & he will need to shine big time if he is to catch this final 53.
but I cannot see him beating out Sims or Longacre. Sims is established and he can play Inside. Longacre is an absolute keeper and he would get the nod over Seau. In fact I would pick Longacre over both Sims and Westbrook as well. Westbrooks spot is the one that could be threatened by Seau but EW has inside out versatility that Seau does. I personally like Seau better than Westbrooks as a pure pass rusher though.

I agree with you here on Longacre completely. I sure don't see Sims being in any danger of not making this team again either. I just do not see the value in Sims as most other do these days. I see much better value in Longacre & then Westbrooks over Sims. If something was to happen to Aaron Donald back up Easley then Sims value would become evident. That's Sims hook in here it sure isn't @ RDE post.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Disagree Seau would need to beat out Quinn or Longacre and that's not going to happen. He's a RDE in a 4-3 and he can't play inside so why keep him? Somebody is going to get cut. A lot of people say let's cut Sims but he can play 3 positions if needed

I think Seau is better than Longacre at pass rushing. However the Rams like to have DEs that can move inside. Longacre looks to be big enough to do that. Seau doesn't. Seau looks like a 3/4 outside linebacker.

So what to do? Try to stash him on the PS. Pay him while their, like they did Battle so he can't easily be stolen, then try to beef him up and see what he can do next year?

Or trade him. There is no way I let him go for nothing without knowing what he can do in real games, against starters. Right now, he looks like the best speed rusher on the team behind Quinn and Hayes. If Quinn's back acts up they may need Seau.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
but I cannot see him beating out Sims or Longacre. Sims is established an like Westbrooks he can play Inside. Longacre is an absolute keeper and he will get the nod over Seau. Westbrook's has inside out versatility that Seau does not but I like Seau better than Westbrooks as a pure pass rusher.
Seau could be our #9 D-Lineman behind Hayes-Longacre-Donald-Easley-Brockers-Westbrooks-Quinn and Sims! What do you think!?o_O:D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cradle Sims to a DE needy team.
I think Sims would be a good fit in many 34 defenses better than a 43 where Sims would have a OLB'er just outside his shoulder as a pass rusher. In a 43 defense Sims offers almost zero as a pass rusher as he has slowed down in his release off the line a lot the last few yrs. Sims just happens to play the RDE post that usually goes up against the OLT.

Like Dallas for a 2nd or 3rd Round Draft pick!?! ( Which will probably be a High pick IF Romo is OUT!:D:D
You most likely have to attach (give away) a 2nd day draft pick to him to find a team willing to take him & his 10 million $$ salary off our hands.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't understand all of the Simms dislike on here. He plays inside, outside, the run, the pass. He is very versatile and isn't a liability in his backup role.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You most likely have to attach (give away) a 2nd day draft pick to him to find a team willing to take him & his 10 million $$ salary off our hands.
But Jerry owes us for ALL the free publicity he got from our move back to L.A., which he proudly takes credit for!! So let him kick back a Draft pick!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't understand all of the Simms dislike on here. He plays inside, outside, the run, the pass. He is very versatile and isn't a liability in his backup role.
Guess we would have to define liability here.

Was Sims a liability to our defense last season when he finished 11 games as our staring RDE & managed one & a half sacks? When teams would block Sims with a LOS TE & utilize the OLT to assist in double or triple teaming Aaron Donald?

Not saying here that this was the norm but when our opponents were getting destroyed by AD in the middle ....many times the handling of Sims with only a TE permitted their DC to hamper AD's impact in many of the second half of 2015 season games.

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Seau could be our #9 D-Lineman behind Hayes-Longacre-Donald-Easley-Brockers-Westbrooks-Quinn and Sims! What do you think!?o_O:D

That might be how the DLine shakes out and I would be fine with that but nervous about DT depth. In that scenario Thomas is the odd man out and the Rams would only have 3 pure DTs on the roster. The thing I like about Thomas is he gives the Rams DL some very good mass inside. Aside from Brockers everyone else is sub 300lbs. Being smaller at DT works for our Rams because they have "The Donald Beast" inside. But heaven forbid Donald or Brockers misses some extended time. Easley was a great signing IMO and could be a great rotational player but his injury history really makes him a risk if he has to be counted on as a full time starter.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That might be how the DLine shakes out and I would be fine with that but nervous about DT depth. In that scenario Thomas is the odd man out and the Rams would only have 3 pure DTs on the roster. The thing I like about Thomas is he gives the Rams DL some very good mass inside. Aside from Bockers everyone else is sub 300lbs. Being smaller at DT works for our Rams because they have "The Donald Beast" inside. But heaven forbid Donald or Brockers misses some extended time. Easley was a great signing IMO and could be a great rotational player but his injury history really makes him a risk if he has to be counted on as a full time starter.
I could see the Rams Trading Sims for a draft pick and keeping either Cam Thomas or Fox to add to the Rotation. As long as they keep Seau I'll be a happy camper!!(y);):D

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger

I do not dislike Sims he is good if asked to be a rotational guy and I do like his versatility. But as Boni noted, when Sims got significant playing time he did not really deliver as pass rusher. The Rams however must have been pleased enough with what Sims showed overall to resign him. The question is has Longacre passed him this offseason and does Seau and Westbrook offer enough upside to make him expendable. I think Fisher keeps him but I understand why Boni and others would want to go with the younger bucks over Sims.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still wanna see Seau at middle linebacker...he looks like he has the same motor as his uncle junior...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think Seau is better than Longacre at pass rushing. However the Rams like to have DEs that can move inside. Longacre looks to be big enough to do that. Seau doesn't. Seau looks like a 3/4 outside linebacker.

So what to do? Try to stash him on the PS. Pay him while their, like they did Battle so he can't easily be stolen, then try to beef him up and see what he can do next year?

Or trade him. There is no way I let him go for nothing without knowing what he can do in real games, against starters. Right now, he looks like the best speed rusher on the team behind Quinn and Hayes. If Quinn's back acts up they may need Seau.
How can you say he's 3rd best when he's playing against very bad tackles? He isn't better than Longacre not even close in my opinion.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I still wanna see Seau at middle linebacker...he looks like he has the same motor as his uncle junior...
I think I like that idea but it could also make him look very bad. Not fair to kid to change it up like that.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we're going to throw the ball 60 times Thursday to decide this WR battle, right?