Rams Cuts Begin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Sony Michel ran behind a FB quite a bit in NE it appears. He looked just as effective as a singleback...but there will be some adjustment there.

I've always used a FB in Madden just in case anyone cares. :sunglasses:
That's true and the Pats converted LBs into FBs. For the reasons I've already articulated, i.e. the style of blocking you want from a FB. It's why I've said the Rams could do likewise. Any defensive front 7 player could be coached up into providing a lead block.

I really don't favor TE's because few are aggressive enough in their blocking to make good lead blockers. Mundt was piss poor last year. He's the so called blocking TE who is basically underused so I hope that they've coached him up this year to function as a lead blocker, otherwise, he will just add to the roadblock instead of clearing it. I would rather see Hoecht or Jonah Williams. Williams in particular has the speed and the aggressive style of blowing through or running over the opposition. He would be like a runaway bulldozer in short yardage.

Personally, I think until they get to midfield Sony will be the man. Yep, Michel is going to be a Ram for a long time. The Rams don't need to be overly concerned about Akers' long-term prognosis and can really take a wait-and-see approach now that they have Michel. Thank you Belicheat.

I became a fan of the power run attack watching Tomlinson run behind FB Lorenzo Neal. So many times it was Neal's block that sprung Tomlinson for a big gain. A power run attack is very hard to stop, as the Rams have seen with SF. If the defense aligns with a light box like Staley normally did, a power-run attack will tear through a defense between the tackles. Just showing it forces the defense to honor the run with or without the play action. With a play-action, the FB is very often dropped in coverage and becomes the dump-off receiver. Power can be run inside or outside and if the offense has a TE receiving threat it can be impossible to cover everyone. In play-action, there are 5 receivers, 2 WRs, RB, TE, and FB. If the offense runs the WRs deep and intermediate it opens up the short passes to the RB and FB and if the offense has a deep threat TE like Harris he's going to be open in the intermediate to deep middle. This is how the Niners stress defenses with Kittle who runs a 4.44. With 3 receivers in the intermediate to deep ranges at least one will be single covered. Harris will be a mismatch if covered by a LB or SS.

Also, there are multiple plays that can be run off that same look something that McVay likes. Tomlinson became a major receiving threat off of that power look. Neal would often simply act as a 6th pass blocker picking up any blitzes and Rivers still had 4 receivers.

Frankly, I'm surprised McVay has not incorporated a power concept run attack in his offense. With Michel, he has the perfect RB for it.

bluecoconuts

Legend

No comment other than that's 98% of the team, meaning we shouldn't have to worry about taking any L's from a forfeit or really worry about losing a key player right before a big game like a few other teams do.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This.

Would instantly become one of the ten greatest Ram names of all time.

Just imagine screaming his name in anger after a fumble... or in joy after a TD.

Les, go sign this guy for his name alone.

DAMAREA CROCKETT!!!
WTF? ~ Sonny.

6slqQ1m.jpg